• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Nikkei - Nintendo won't launch a new Switch model during the current fiscal year (UP: see threadmarks for official translation of the Nikkei article)

But the thing is that, even if these bits of information are real (and honestly, i believe they are except the last point; i still want a Switch Pro), they're not confirmed by an official announcement and that's what i'm talking about.

Yes, it's fun to daydream about a more powerful version of a console that we all love, but at least for me it's gets tired dreaming for years about that, reading that it's coming out in the next few months and then nothing. Until it it's officially announced (or there are concrete leaks with images, but this is Nintendo we're talking about), i find that it's worthless to speculate about it.

But that's my point of view, i know that for most people the fun in this is speculating about it; for me, i want a real announcement with a real release date and official images and specs of it.
As a wisened Procyon once mentioned in this very thread (iirc), the people most interested in learning about when the next Switch will release and how powerful it should be are the people who should stay far away from the Future Hardware Speculation thread.

Will it stop people like me? No, it won't, but if I have those words echoing in the back of my mind it gives me greater peace to not let the whims of Nintendo's marketing arm determine when I'm granted serotonin over the actual announcement

As a wisened Procyon once mentioned in this very thread (iirc), the people most interested in learning about when the next Switch will release and how powerful it should be are the people who should stay far away from the Future Hardware Speculation thread.

Will it stop people like me? No, it won't, but if I have those words echoing in the back of my mind it gives me greater peace to not let the whims of Nintendo's marketing arm determine when I'm granted serotonin over the actual announcement
absolutely

the hardware people are happy because they like talking about it

that's why we never see the hardware people cope and mald and seethe like some (read: I) do when there's a snag: they're already happy and don't care what actually happens

absolutely

that's why we never see the hardware people cope and mald and seethe like some (read: I) do when there's a snag: they're already happy and don't care what actually happens
The journey is the destination.

absolutely

The hardware folks tolerating the rest of the plebs as much as they do for all the dumb questions asked ad nauseum in that thread (I mean I'm pretty sure I asked the overall meaning of nm three times across two forums, and the only thing stopping me from asking a fourth is at least now I know it's nothing more than semantics lol) is a monument to the amount of patience they collectively have

It would be nice to see updates on those articles and youtubers who reported this incorrect information.

But I guess some are going to interpret that there’s still no new hardware because Furukawa mentioned only three models, as if he would announce a new model at an investor meeting.

Last edited:
I remember when Nintendo and Zynga issued statements asserting there were no 4K Switch devkits after Bloomberg's report.

i.e. I don't get the point of relying on what Nintendo says. They may not 'lie', but they're not going to be forthcoming about new hardware, and they're not going to accidentally slip a hint in an interview. This isn't the Wii U era, they don't need to tease the next console.

I remember when Nintendo and Zynga issued statements asserting there were no 4K Switch devkits after Bloomberg's report.

i.e. I don't get the point of relying on what Nintendo says. They may not 'lie', but they're not going to be forthcoming about new hardware, and they're not going to accidentally slip a hint in an interview. This isn't the Wii U era, they don't need to tease the next console.
Exactly. They are going to announce to the public at the right time. It could be this year, next one or at 2030. But it is not going to be in an interview.

official english translation

OSAKA -- Nintendo is not currently considering raising prices for its flagship Switch video game system to offset rising production and shipping costs, President Shuntaro Furukawa told Nikkei, stressing that the company wants to "avoid pricing people out."

Switch sales slumped 23% on the year by volume in the April-June quarter amid shortages of semiconductors and other parts. Nintendo's earnings are on a similar trajectory: Annual net profit has tripled since the Switch's 2017 launch but is forecast to drop 29% in the fiscal year ending March 2023 after declining slightly a year earlier.

Nintendo still aims to sell 21 million Switch units this fiscal year. The five-year-old console is at a point in its life span where its predecessors have tended to slow down, but Furukawa pointed to a lineup of big game releases in the coming months that could provide a boost.

Edited excerpts from the interview follow.
Q: How is Nintendo faring with semiconductor procurement?

A:
With cooperation from various business partners, we're on track for improvement from the latter half of this summer. But in terms of our sales forecast of 21 million units for the fiscal year through March 2023, we only have a clear production outlook for this year. Beyond that, things are uncertain.

I can't say specifically what is in short supply. Nintendo will continue to sell three [Switch] models: the standard model; the Switch Lite with reduced price, size and features; and the OLED model. We'll work out the best strategy as we go along. We're doing our best to procure high-quality products at an appropriate price with an eye toward the next few years.
Q: Are you losing out on chips and other components to manufacturers with bigger-ticket products, like autos?

A:
Keeping prices down isn't giving us any trouble with procuring parts. The problem is that demand exceeds supply.
Q: Are price increases an option?

A:
We're not considering that at this point, for two reasons. In order to offer unique entertainment to a wide range of customers, we want to avoid pricing people out. Our competition is the variety of entertainment in the world, and we always think about pricing in terms of the value of the fun we offer.

Our products also include software. Nintendo has sold more than 100 million Switch units so far, and it's important to maintain the momentum of our overall business. Generally speaking, a weak yen makes domestic Switch sales less profitable.
Q: Can Nintendo absorb the rising costs of materials and shipping?

A:
For the time being, our OLED model will continue to be less profitable than our other models. Costs have undoubtedly increased for shipping not only by air, but also by sea. We're thinking about what we can do.

The weak yen may be seen as a benefit for Nintendo, since such a large share of our sales comes from abroad, but our overseas promotional and staff costs also go up. We're making more inventory purchases in foreign currencies to counter that.
Q: Can you reach your Switch sales target for this fiscal year?

A:
It's in its sixth year since its launch. All I can say is that we'll try to keep up sales at the same pace. Having hit software also gives a boost to hardware. We have a lineup of new games that will allow us to take a crack at meeting our sales forecast, including Splatoon [3] coming out in September and Pokemon [Scarlet and Violet] in November.

How irresponsible to report that Nintendo has no plans to launch new hardware this Fiscal Year when they said nothing about it lol. I mean, the fact that they are being so coy about their next wave of first party game announcements is a big clue they are gearing up for a new hardware showcase event

They could very well just phase out the original Switch model and have 3 Sku, Lite - OLED - Pro.
OLED is made to replace the basic model for sure. They did that with the 3DS and DS already

And there it is. The interview and questions weren't even about new hardware, were about prices not getting raised, and mentioned "across 3 models" not as in "we won't release a fourth" but as in the 3 there are on the marketing. As people have told just before me, they wouldn't just slip on an interview the next console that wasn't even announced like Miyamoto accidentally confirming Pikmin 4 or something.

Just look how on "how to achieve the milestone?" he talks about Splatoon 3 coming in September and Pokémon in November will help it. That doesn't mean they forgot they're publishing Bayonetta 3 and Kirby Dream Buffet, or that Metroid Prime Remastered isn't coming this holiday too, or that Zelda isn't this FY or that there's no games from December to March, only that he's mentioning what is already announced and set in stone and related to the topic and worthy of mentioning.

News outlets and youtubers seriously need to stop with the sensationalism and doom and gloom nonsense over literally any sentence without a context, it's getting tiring already how people use wording done by business man as if they're Nintendo Direct trailers.

Given the nature of the article, it never really made sense for it to be making such a definitive statement on new hardware like that, at least not without some sort of attribution.

Even if Nintendo outright said "We will not be releasing new hardware anytime soon." there would still be no reason to assume there is no hardware coming soon, since they would naturally lie for the sake of keeping the surprise a surprise.

Even if Nintendo outright said "We will not be releasing new hardware anytime soon." there would still be no reason to assume there is no hardware coming soon, since they would naturally lie for the sake of keeping the surprise a surprise.
that wouldn't even be a lie. "soon" is an indeterminate amount of time, and, therefore, could be any time

This isn't a Nikkei report about them having sourced details about a date - it was never the headline of the Japanese report, and that alone should have been telling. It was an inference from Furukawa interview, and Nintendo was never going to state that new hardware was coming. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd assume that even point blank they wouldn't be obligated to be truthful to Nikkei or any outlet re: new hardware plans. At best they'd be coy and ambiguous about it, and at worst they'd outright deny it.

Incredible development. Go read the first thread if you want a good laugh.
The other thread was a bad-faith / self righteous posting nightmare. It was locked for good reason. I'm not a mod, but I'd hesitate to say this thread should stay open long as there's no news or rumor here.

The other thread was a bad-faith / self righteous posting nightmare. It was locked for good reason. I'm not a mod, but I'd hesitate to say this thread should stay open long as there's no news or rumor here.
What do you all think: is this the general consensus? Has the thread naturally run its course?

To surprise and delight.

Back
Top Bottom