• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News NieR:Automata The End of YorHa Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6 (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there a way to start directly with

run 2 or 3?

I've already played the game on PS4, with just

1 run, due to it not being a game of mine, but a friend's borrowed copy

and honestly I'd prefer to skip what I've already played

is there a way to start directly with

run 2 or 3?

I've already played the game on PS4, with just

1 run, due to it not being a game of mine, but a friend's borrowed copy

and honestly I'd prefer to skip what I've already played
Not as far as I know, nope. Gotta go through it all.

Damn
I loved, for example, to being able to start Future Connected in Xenoblade DE
Well, that's not quite the same thing or too comparable imo. With Nier it's a core part of the entire experience, while with Xenoblade's (and other games') cases we're talking about stand-alone-ish add-ons or content.

I am aware of multiple runs, that its core of the experience, but have 1 question:
is it essentially "get the full story but the gameplay is mostly the same with a boss here
and a level there different" or do they differ substantially?

I am aware of multiple runs, that its core of the experience, but have 1 question:
is it essentially "get the full story but the gameplay is mostly the same with a boss here

Being the most vague possible: at one point you will have to redo a good portion of the story (a few hours worth of gameplay) to continue forward towards the ending. It's easily the lowest point of the game and do not be afraid of rush it if you feel bored, I wasn't a fan of how that part played compared to how I first experienced.

What comes after is definitely worth it.

1.5 runs are the same/similar content wise, the rest is very different and worth playing through

Before starting this, do people recommend playing Nier (PS3) or is it not necessary?
Not necessary at all, although there are some connections to that game, although nothing major. Also the game was remastered last year for PS4 and Xbox One, so play that version

Not necessary at all, although there are some connections to that game, although nothing major. Also the game was remastered last year for PS4 and Xbox One, so play that version
I don't have a PS4 / Xbox and I have Nier (PS3) sitting in shrinkwrap still 😂

Being the most vague possible: at one point you will have to redo a good portion of the story (a few hours worth of gameplay) to continue forward towards the ending. It's easily the lowest point of the game and do not be afraid of rush it if you feel bored, I wasn't a fan of how that part played compared to how I first experienced.

1.5 runs are the same/similar content wise, the rest is very different and worth playing through
Ok great. My next game ti'll Pokemon then =D

Before starting this, do people recommend playing Nier (PS3) or is it not necessary?
Not necessary, but without going into details, I'd say it still enhances your experience in some ways. I've played Automata first back in 2017/18, and have played Replicant on PC these last two months. Now that I'm done with the latter, I kinda wish I had played it first, as the connections it has to Automata would've definitely been something I had appreciated when going through the latter these five years ago.
They're mostly details and some small interconnections here and there, but I love stuff like that personally. I now plan to go through Automata again, just to get to appreciate these details and nuances this time around, haha.

It's hard to say. Automata doesn't require you to know almost anything about the original NieR to (more or less) get what's happening. If anything, Automata borrows as much symbology and lore from Gestalt/Replicant as it does from the first Drakengard, which most people hardly consider essential.

That said, being familiar with NieR absolutely changes the impact of specific moments in Automata and the way you might interpret some of its motifs and themes. I did Automata > Gestalt > Drakengard > Drakengard 3 > Automata again > Replicant (remake), and my appreciation for each game greatly increased as more pieces were added to the puzzle.

The issue with playing the original NieR now is that a) it requires a certain degree of tolerance, if not love, for jank, and b) it's the most repetitive out of all of these games, as far as repeated content goes. If you play it just to catch up, chances are you probably won't enjoy it. So while I don't think starting with Automata is the ideal choice, it's by far the path of least resistance into the series.

Oh, well would you look at that. Went to Era after posting that comment and found this thread:

Edit: wait - I’m pretty sure that impression was already shared here. Should’ve finished reading the OP before I posted here. I got too excited at the coincidence. Sorry everyone!

Oh, well would you look at that. Went to Era after posting that comment and found this thread:
The goalposts keep moving for these PS4 -> Switch ports. If the game didn't hold locked 60 on a base PS4 it is unreasonable to assume a 60 target on Switch. 30 FPS is absolutely the right move, from my understanding this is not a white knuckle action game like Bayonetta 3 that would 'need' it. But even for such games like DOOM I was fine with 30 FPS on Switch.

The goalposts keep moving for these PS4 -> Switch ports. If the game didn't hold locked 60 on a base PS4 it is unreasonable to assume a 60 target on Switch. 30 FPS is absolutely the right move, from my understanding this is not a white knuckle action game like Bayonetta 3 that would 'need' it. But even for such games like DOOM I was fine with 30 FPS on Switch.
Yeah the sacrifice is usually tough for me but in this case reading other people’s thoughts on the combat I don’t feel like I’m going to be missing out on much. Well worth it to have it on Switch, and with good IQ to boot it seems.

This aspect is my main concern as well; I love everything I hear about the game except the idea of having to play through it multiple times to progress.

So is it like you play through it once, then the second time it's the same for the first half, but then takes an alternate path? About how many hours will I have to repeat, and how many times?

So is it like you play through it once, then the second time it's the same for the first half, but then takes an alternate path? About how many hours will I have to repeat, and how many times?
~~~extremely minor mechanical spoilers for Automata below~~~

The game is divided into various routes, the first one being route A and the second one route B. In these two, you play the same events, with new information, mechanics, and minor scenario divergences added to route B. Going by YouTube playthroughs, it takes around 8 hours to finish route B, and half of that if you speed through it by only going from main objective to main objective.

After that, you don't have to repeat any content (with the exception of one battle, which you can replay right away) if you don't want to go for 100% completion. If you do, you'll be jumping though routes and chapters to hunt for items, improve your weapons and the like, but unlike in the Drakengard games or the original NieR, no endings are locked behind these requirements.

I played Automata first, having never played any of the Drakengard or Nier games and it was still an incredible experience to me. I've since played the Replicant remaster, and went back and played Automata again in the time since and I think playing Automata first is still a decent way to experience them. Replicant is mechanically worse and the structure of it results in a lot more repeated content which I think is probably easier to stomach if you already have some attachment to that world.

Replicant is mechanically worse and the structure of it results in a lot more repeated content which I think is probably easier to stomach if you already have some attachment to that world.
You could also argue, just to add to that point (with which I agree, Replicant's obviously mechanically worse), that playing the mechanically worse game first and then experiencing the better game next is the way to go, so you don't have to stomach the worse gameplay after the better one. Coming from Automata, some folks might be bothered more quickly by Replicant's more mundane design aspects/might have less patience with it.

All that to say: yeah, it isn't easy to decide which one you should go with first, haha.

I say fuck that noise!

There was a reason I got The Witcher 3 despite Era's protests, and not we're not only getting Nier Automata, but No Man's Sky (post-updates) on the same system around the same timeframe, and I'm pretty sure they'll just try to come up with some other lame excuse to "avoid the Switch version".

I say fuck that noise!

There was a reason I got The Witcher 3 despite Era's protests, and not we're not only getting Nier Automata, but No Man's Sky (post-updates) on the same system around the same timeframe, and I'm pretty sure they'll just try to come up with some other lame excuse to "avoid the Switch version".
Until some months ago I was told Nier Automata was impossible to port to Switch without many sacrifices or have to redone the game lol.

I am excited to finally play this game legitimately. I will admit I sped through it on PS4 because of the whole buying trophies feature at the end game and I used to be tact type of gamer (now I don't care about them and I actually prefer to buy games on switch as opposed to ps5/xsx because it makes me not care about those frivolous things). I am happy to finally give the game the attention it deserves.

It's 2022 and we still have so many doubters who severely underestimate/undersell the Switch's capabilities.

Witcher 3, the Crysis trilogy, DOOM 2016 and Eternal, Wolfenstien 2, Starlink, Dying Light, and now NieR Automata.

To me most PS4 games that don't show up on Switch is due to the lack of interest and/or effort, not because the Switch can't handle it. The TegraX1 chip really is state of the art for its time considering what can be pulled off with the right people, mindset, and effort.

Some games did feel like to much of a compromise (i would say Doom...but then again, consoles are probably generally not better, since i would just wish for a FOV slider...)

Wolfenstein? dont know.

But if it keeps a stable 30 fps, im 100% confident that this port is more then fine.
I played DMC back then in bad 30fps. It works, going for high dificulty would have been a problem.
But nier is as far as i understood it less strict then those games, so i will be fine.

It's 2022 and we still have so many doubters who severely underestimate/undersell the Switch's capabilities.

Witcher 3, the Crysis trilogy, DOOM 2016 and Eternal, Wolfenstien 2, Starlink, Dying Light, and now NieR Automata.

To me most PS4 games that don't show up on Switch is due to the lack of interest and/or effort, not because the Switch can't handle it. The TegraX1 chip really is state of the art for its time considering what can be pulled off with the right people, mindset, and effort.
There are even more impressive ports, like Hellblade, Sniper Elite 4, Zombie Army 4, Alien Isolation, and some other ports too like Diablo, Crisis, etc. the list of good ports is long.

I liked sone of these games, like Wolfenstein or Sniper Elite 4 even more on Switch because of superior control schemes

But ... many of these games are 60FPS on PC/PS4/XBox, so it was possible to make them 30FPS on Switch. If a game is 30 FPS on those more powerful platforms porting it to Switch would be much more difficult.

And some developer with less experience even struggle to get simple games running flawlessly on Switch, because on PC or the other consoles their bad coding will be hidden by the pure power of these systems, but will be more obvious on Switch.

There are even more impressive ports, like Hellblade, Sniper Elite 4, Zombie Army 4, Alien Isolation, and some other ports too like Diablo, Crisis, etc. the list of good ports is long.

I liked sone of these games, like Wolfenstein or Sniper Elite 4 even more on Switch because of superior control schemes

But ... many of these games are 60FPS on PC/PS4/XBox, so it was possible to make them 30FPS on Switch. If a game is 30 FPS on those more powerful platforms porting it to Switch would be much more difficult.
Oh right, almost forgot those, but I'm pretty sure numerous 30fps games made the jump to Switch just fine. Like all of CyberConnect2's stuff as a quick example.
And some developer with less experience even struggle to get simple games running flawlessly on Switch, because on PC or the other consoles their bad coding will be hidden by the pure power of these systems, but will be more obvious on Switch.
Compile Heart's line-up is literally this. They look like Wii games yet when ported to Switch, be it by Ghostlight or in-house, they turn out really badly.

If 120 fps ever becomes the standard in gaming, watch people continue to move goalposts for performance
"My standards are higher now!"

Yeah, if that's the case why stick with the consoles? Both PS and XBox's catalogs end up on PC anyhow, yet people are still willing to defend those while shaming Nintendo constantly.

Oh right, almost forgot those, but I'm pretty sure numerous 30fps games made the jump to Switch just fine. Like all of CyberConnect2's stuff as a quick example.

Compile Heart's line-up is literally this. They look like Wii games yet when ported to Switch, be it by Ghostlight or in-house, they turn out really badly.
and not even ports, even their newer releases like Mary Skelter tends to have framerate issues (in a first person dungeon crawl )

The Switch's life has been one long string of shattering expectations.

When it first came out, nobody thought it could handle AAA PS4/Xbox One games. Then came Doom.
Then people said, oh, that only worked cos they could cut it from 60fps to 30fps, Switch could never run a 30fps PS4 title. Then came Hellblade.
Then they said that only worked cos Hellblade was small scale and linear, Switch could never handle an open world PS4 game. Then came Witcher 3.

Since then, the bar has been pushed higher and higher with the likes of Dying Light, World War Z, Zombie Army 4, Bright Memory Infinite, etc.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's not to underestimate the Switch. It may not be a powerhouse, but it punches above its weight.

No Tekken, no Dead or Alive, no Soul Calibur, no Virtua Fighter, no Street Fighter 4-6... Switch is mysteriously missing almost all of the important 3D fighters. I wonder if there's a conspiracy behind this situation.
  • Tekken: bandai namco. nough said
  • Dead or Alive: more like "Dead"
  • Soul Calibur: again, bandai namco
  • Virtua Fighter: was dead, and sega
  • Street Fighter: Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5 are exclusive to Playstation, Capcom also aims higher than switch + roll back is cpu intensive
  • Guilty Gear: a weird exclusion, hard to say what's up with this. online would have to be segmented due to switch not handling rollback
now that I think about it, weird how Square Enix doesn't have a fighting game

• Tekken: bandai namco. nough said
  • Dead or Alive: more like "Dead"
  • Soul Calibur: again, bandai namco
  • Virtua Fighter: was dead, and sega
  • Street Fighter: Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter 5 are exclusive to Playstation, Capcom also aims higher than switch + roll back is cpu intensive
  • Guilty Gear: a weird exclusion, hard to say what's up with this. online would have to be segmented due to switch not handling rollback
now that I think about it, weird how Square Enix doesn't have a fighting game
Dissidia?

No Tekken, no Dead or Alive, no Soul Calibur, no Virtua Fighter, no Street Fighter 4-6... Switch is mysteriously missing almost all of the important 3D fighters. I wonder if there's a conspiracy behind this situation.

Harada is not a fan of the Switch to say the least.

Harada is not a fan of the Switch to say the least.
The Switch is for stupid babies, not for very serious series like Tekken and Soulcalibur.

maxresdefault.jpg

Real shit.

dead and team ninja moved on. the PS4 game was a team competitive game so that's extra stress to port something that was built for higher end hardware.
IIRC it didn't do very well sales wise either? Or was that just the online response to it in general?

It's still surprising they haven't attempted a remaster of Duodeceim though. Maybe that's coming as they're starting to dip into PSP remasters with Tactics Ogre , Crisis Core, and the leaked Final Fantasy Tactics?

Virtua Fighter: was dead, and sega
Funny thing, Switch version of this was leaked through remasters website code. But never happened, as Sony might have prolonged its timed exclusivity. Hence the "conspiracy".
Dissidia?
I nominate the Duodecim version to be the next Square PSP game to get Crisis Core treatment. A lot of games of that era deserve the "pseudo-remake" CC got.

Indeed, a conspiracy is a afoot. Namco, Sega, and Koei-Tecmo... Harada, Nagoshi, and the Ghost of Itagaki plotting together to destroy Nintendo once and for all. They know as well as we all do: without Virtua Fighter, the Switch will starve...

Indeed, a conspiracy is a afoot. Namco, Sega, and Koei-Tecmo... Harada, Nagoshi, and the Ghost of Itagaki plotting together to destroy Nintendo once and for all. They know as well as we all do: without Virtua Fighter, the Switch will starve...
Hey no need for making fun of me. I'm the one who's starving here. My MK11 playtime has passed 150 hours and there's no other fighting game to move on to. Just Jump arena fighters and ROM dumps...

Funny thing, Switch version of this was leaked through remasters website code. But never happened, as Sony might have prolonged its timed exclusivity. Hence the "conspiracy".

I nominate the Duodecim version to be the next Square PSP game to get Crisis Core treatment. A lot of games of that era deserve the "pseudo-remake" CC got.
I'm pretttty sure the website code is just using a template, which means nothing. You people really need to stop coming up with theories based on assumptions of what's "leaked".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom