• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News NieR:Automata The End of YorHa Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on October 6 (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior game designer of Nier Automata is Takahisa Taura, the director of Astral Chain, so that's likely why. He's been in pretty much all these presentations and interviews for the game. It's still pretty random, but I'm not surprised when Platinum and Yoko Taro are involved.

Last edited:

The livestream subtitled.

Also it's Taura the one with the passion for butts (14m01s) at PlatinumGames. Crucial piece of lore.

The livestream subtitled.

Also it's Taura the one with the passion for butts (14m01s) at PlatinumGames. Crucial piece of lore.

Ah, so that explains why Astral Chain used art and designs by Masakazu Katsura; just a couple of butt connoisseurs joining forces.

Yup that’s a Yoko Taro & Co. stream alright 😂

Game looks really good in the footage their showing. I haven’t really looked at a lot of the action footage from prior releases but this looks fantastic running on Switch.

Love how they're promoting Astral Chain even though is not a Nintendo event.

Maybe is kind of a tease for a sequel.
Even if it’s not, this is a really good opportunity for Platinum to push it given this and Bayo 3 are launching within weeks of each other. And it’s a good time for Nintendo to remind people that Switch is the de facto home for Platinum right now with Babylon’s Fall ending in 5 months.

This does look really, really good…

My budget for games is already busted for the year. Onto the wishlist it goes

Looking at Astral Chain again through the stream made me realize even more how a sequel could be one of the defacto graphical powerhouse showcases of the Drake presentation

The Switch port does look great.

Also for anyone who hasn’t yet, please play Astral Chain. It’s fantastic.

Yeah that footage in the stream above looks outstanding. But Astral Chain is choppier than I remember, I think they're showing it in portable mode maybe? Since Automata might've been shown in portable mode since they showcase the ADORABLE new animation of you patting the tiny robot if you touch the screen, but you can't pat if it's in docked mode sadly.

Yes Virginia, you CAN pet the tiny robot!

Yeah that footage in the stream above looks outstanding. But Astral Chain is choppier than I remember, I think they're showing it in portable mode maybe? Since Automata might've been shown in portable mode since they showcase the ADORABLE new animation of you patting the tiny robot if you touch the screen, but you can't pat if it's in docked mode sadly.

Yes Virginia, you CAN pet the tiny robot!
Honestly both are probably affected by the stream’s quality. I played AC recently and not to say it never dips, but it was pretty smooth and not that stuttery at all.

They are showing Switch Gameplay right now.

game looks absolutely stunning. I don't see any cutbacks tbh. And that's with youtube streaming f'ing it up(could tell by the AC gameplay shown, that game looks absolutely stunning in motion). Can't wait for the DF review and to play it!! Praises to PlatinumGames! also inb4 Astral Chain 2 comes in 2024.

Honestly both are probably affected by the stream’s quality. I played AC recently and not to say it never dips, but it was pretty smooth and not that stuttery at all.
Yeah I have it and watched footage on YT and it's supposed to be much smoother than that. Such a shame they showed it like that. Not the best way to sell it. :(

oh yeah i get that impression as well. Platinum is very teasy actually(like the Bayo joy con arts being thrown on twitter months before the Bayo ports were announced). That Astral Chain reference at the start of Bayo 3 re-reveal(like if it was AC 2 lol) and the AC inspirations the game got surely hint at something. And the game did super well for a niche/new ip. There are patents filled as well. It's probably in development. I think we'll see it announced nect year.

Game looks really good in the footage their showing. I haven’t really looked at a lot of the action footage from prior releases but this looks fantastic running on Switch.

Even if it’s not, this is a really good opportunity for Platinum to push it given this and Bayo 3 are launching within weeks of each other. And it’s a good time for Nintendo to remind people that Switch is the de facto home for Platinum right now with Babylon’s Fall ending in 5 months.
oh that makes me wonder if those rumors of Nintendo funding a Scalebound reboot from... 2019 or 2020 i guess? are indeed true. Wouldn't hold my breath tho as they have Bayo 3 this year and presumably AC 2 next.

game looks absolutely stunning. I don't see any cutbacks tbh. And that's with youtube streaming f'ing it up(could tell by the AC gameplay shown, that game looks absolutely stunning in motion). Can't wait for the DF review and to play it!! Praises to PlatinumGames! also inb4 Astral Chain 2 comes in 2024.
Could see it next year even. Would be 4 years since the release of AC1.

Could see it next year even. Would be 4 years since the release of AC1.
Me too!! I don't think it overlaps a lot of staff with Bayo? At least not leads, which also may allow the bulk of the personpower to come from EPD or outsourcing. I think it can come as a February Direct announcement after Bayo 3 and Nier already have some months for them. I'm sure it will come as the best looking Switch game ever whenever it comes.

This Automata port is looking like it's actually really good. I haven't been able to play this game yet, so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Now if only we can get the first NieR as well, though that might mess up my organization a bit more ...

And, yeah, things have been looking good for Platinum on Switch, and we can see this looking even beyond their Nintendo partnerships, as evidenced here. It would be neat to see as much of their work as is plausible here.

Regarding the Astral Chain discussion, I'm currently making my way through that one and quite enjoying it. We know there were plans for that beyond the first game, and we know it actually did rather well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see another entry announced before terribly long.

oh that makes me wonder if those rumors of Nintendo funding a Scalebound reboot from... 2019 or 2020 i guess? are indeed true. Wouldn't hold my breath tho as they have Bayo 3 this year and presumably AC 2 next.
I always thought it might work to revisit the initial Wii idea with the little girl and the dinosaurs (a notably different concept than what was eventually revealed for Xbox and fell through) and that seems like something Nintendo might invest in.

Nintendo wouldn't let outside companies tease sequels of their games. Platinum probably got permission to pimp Astral Chain in a "if you like AC, you'll love the director's previous work, Nier Automata" kinda way

Platinum probably got permission to pimp Astral Chain in a "if you like AC, you'll love the director's previous work, Nier Automata" kinda way
That's bascialy what they said on the stream, but in reverse "If you like Nier Automata you should check out AC, it's like a follow-up" (paraphrasing here).

I must say, judging from what's been shown so far in the stream and in trailers, I am very impressed by how it looks and runs on Switch, especially given it was weirdly demanding on other platforms, for instance running at 900p with an unstable framerate on the base PS4.
This could one for the hall of game of Switch ports.

I must say, judging from what's been shown so far in the stream and in trailers, I am very impressed by how it looks and runs on Switch, especially given it was weirdly demanding on other platforms, for instance running at 900p with an unstable framerate on the base PS4.
This could one for the hall of game of Switch ports.
iirc one of the reason for the game performing the way it does on other platforms is apparently due to how expensive the global illumination implementation was so it'd probably be one aspect Virtuos could tweak to improve performance alongside other stuff.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned previously and not to get anyone’s hopes up, but at the end of the TGS stream they are having a fan event in Tokyo on 11/25 & 11/26…

Ah, so that explains why Astral Chain used art and designs by Masakazu Katsura; just a couple of butt connoisseurs joining forces.

Toro too. I remember something coming up at a PAX East panel with him I think about 2B and the answer was "I like butts".
It is 100% true that the butt animation in Astral Chain was next level stuff.

I'm happy to see the Astral Chain love/sequel optimism in this thread. It was a very playful thing putting Lappy at the start of the Bayonetta 3 trailer last year, and it did make me wonder if something is in the works.

I'm happy to see the Astral Chain love/sequel optimism in this thread. It was a very playful thing putting Lappy at the start of the Bayonetta 3 trailer last year, and it did make me wonder if something is in the works.
I did 2 playthroughs (each twin) and did not notice lol.

I think you are right, with the Lappy Bayo trailer, the knowledge that Taura has another project in the works, the whole "lets bring AC footage to TGS, Nintendo-san" with Taura present (I know he worked on Nier), the third year anniversary giveaway, seems a lot of coincidence lol

I mean, they said it always was planned as a trilogy and they would decide on going on with it if AC sold well. It did, passed the 1m mark quite easily. I feel they will definitely keep their promise. Maybe next year?

Astral Chain is one of the main reasons I am so excited for Nier Automata; I thought the former was terrific, so I'm keen to experience more Taura + Platinum collaboration.
(Plus I adored other Platinum works like Bayonetta 1 & 2 and Vanquish)

It stills feels surreal to me that it's finally coming, this has been one of my most wanted Switch ports since 2017, and I'd long ago given up hope of it ever happening. Being able to play it on the same system as games like Mario Odyssey and Metroid Dread is just so darn cool.

So this plays like astral chain more than bayonetta?

Don't go expecting the deep combat and combo system from Astral Chain or Bayonetta. It's waaay more basic. Astral Chain and Bayonetta combat system are the focus of those games and it shows... here, combat is barely serviceable in my opinion.

here, combat is barely serviceable in my opinion.
From what was shown in the TGS presentation it looks like Kingdom Hearts with the option to sprinkle in some pew-pew

I know absolutely nothing about Automata, but that theme park with the Disney-esque castle with a heart cut out of it... That sure reads like Yoko Taro taking the piss out of Nomura 😂

While Automata's combat isn't nearly as fleshed out as Bayonetta's or AC's, I still think it's better than many other JRPG combat systems. It's quick, stylish, and complements the rest of the experience well enough, I feel. Holds up well overall next to stuff like Tales of Arise for instance, and is miles ahead of something like Final Fantasy XV in my book.

Didn't realize this was coming so soon. Put in a pre-order for it last night.

I imagine the Scalebound rumor was actually Astral Chain. "Nintendo is funding a Platinum action game where you play as two entities acting as one" to "Nintendo is reviving Scalebound" is an understandable leap of logic. On topic, I honestly might double dip with Automata, surprised at how performant it is. The fact that it's already < 2 weeks to release is making me crumble to dust

EDIT: hit enter too early oops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom