• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports NFL |ST| Offseason

Does anybody trust any teams this year? It seems especially open, even by week 3 standards.

That is the state of the NFL now. Parity is way too strong. Every team can win or lose on any given week. Gone are the days where there was usually a team or two that started 10-0 and the conference championship games were loaded with 1 vs 2 seeds almost every single time. Now, the strategy is very different. For most teams, it is just win as many games as you can while figuring things out and get yourself into the postseason. Once you are in, anything can happen.

Look and Cincy last year. They got hot at the right time and made it to the Super Bowl (and almost won).

Does anybody trust any teams this year? It seems especially open, even by week 3 standards.
Dolphins are legit and barring major injuries I don't see the Ravens putting up too many more losses. Lamar is playing by far his best football yet and finally has a good #1 WR.

Dolphins are legit and barring major injuries I don't see the Ravens putting up too many more losses. Lamar is playing by far his best football yet and finally has a good #1 WR.
I'm not quite there with the Dolphins yet. They have had some fantastic wins, but I've seen too many teams come out of the gates strong and peter out as the year goes on. I feel the same about the Eagles.

As for the Ravens, they are purely a "wait until January" team for me. They are amazing in the regular season, but it always seems like when the competition stiffens they can't rise to the challenge.

For my money, I only trust the Bills and Chiefs. I think the Packers and Ravens will be pretty reliable for the regular season, but beyond that I'm unsure. The Rams will be stable if they can slow down the tide of inexplicable turnovers, I think, but maybe that's just my personal bias talking.

I'm not quite there with the Dolphins yet. They have had some fantastic wins, but I've seen too many teams come out of the gates strong and peter out as the year goes on. I feel the same about the Eagles.

As for the Ravens, they are purely a "wait until January" team for me. They are amazing in the regular season, but it always seems like when the competition stiffens they can't rise to the challenge.

For my money, I only trust the Bills and Chiefs. I think the Packers and Ravens will be pretty reliable for the regular season, but beyond that I'm unsure. The Rams will be stable if they can slow down the tide of inexplicable turnovers, I think, but maybe that's just my personal bias talking.
Well I was more speaking now, at this stage in the season who would be the best teams. But yeah who the hell knows what happens in 5 weeks, let alone in the playoffs.

My opinion is kinda biased on the Ravens though.

@Skittzo the Ravens better ball out for the rest of the season. I don't know if the Browns will be able to keep winning, but they have to be kept out of the playoffs at all costs.

@Skittzo the Ravens better ball out for the rest of the season. I don't know if the Browns will be able to keep winning, but they have to be kept out of the playoffs at all costs.
Never forget the Browns are still the Browns. They'll find ways to Browns it up even more than they did in the offseason.

That is the state of the NFL now. Parity is way too strong. Every team can win or lose on any given week. Gone are the days where there was usually a team or two that started 10-0 and the conference championship games were loaded with 1 vs 2 seeds almost every single time. Now, the strategy is very different. For most teams, it is just win as many games as you can while figuring things out and get yourself into the postseason. Once you are in, anything can happen.

Look and Cincy last year. They got hot at the right time and made it to the Super Bowl (and almost won).
The AFC is still in transition after almost 20 AFC championships in a row were won by Brady, Manning or Big Ben. There was absolutely no parity to be found for those two decades.

Now we're kinda seeing if any young QBs like Allen, Mahomes, Lamar can take their place, or if we slip into an NFC-like parity. If the Chiefs had beaten the Bengals (like they should have 9 times out of 10) in the AFC championship last year, it would have been three super bowl appearances in a row and would really feel like this was the uncontested era of the Chiefs.

So parity is strong, but those 20 years prove that consistent domination CAN be done under the salary cap.

Hey remember when the Browns blew that Jets game after being up 13 with two minutes left and the Jets had no timeouts? I do. It was awesome.

Remember when Rudd threw his helmet in celebration back in 2002 and the Browns lost the game? I do. I was eleven. That was awesome too.

Holy hell, I hope Tua is ok. That looked like a career-ender
Jeez I didn't see it but hearing about it that sounds horrifying. I can't believe they let him play 4 days after suffering even a mild concussion. Or "back pain" or whatever they called it.

If his career is over or worse some people in the Dolphins organization need to get fired, sued or maybe even charged with negligence.

Jeez I didn't see it but hearing about it that sounds horrifying. I can't believe they let him play 4 days after suffering even a mild concussion. Or "back pain" or whatever they called it.

If his career is over or worse some people in the Dolphins organization need to get fired, sued or maybe even charged with negligence.
It's a weird spot that's uncomfortable for me to comment on because that hit could've caused that response to someone with no prior concussion history. But of course, Sunday did happen.

The existing investigation should continue, and maybe escalate to someone higher than the player's union. If any protocol was bypassed, then yeah, the people responsible should face consequences. But I also think it's possible the NFL's protocol itself is an issue.

Fake edit: Amazon's post game show is getting right to it. Lots of perspectives thanks to former players being on the TNF team. Whitworth indicating he was able to pass a concussion test once but was pulled out of the game later anyway after a teammate felt he wasn't acting right. Sherman alluding to the fact that big games sometimes overshadow individuals' health in team decision making.

They don't really have a consensus, but there does seem to be a general sentiment that both the required protocol was more likely than not followed and that someone somewhere should've stopped him from playing anyway.

The NFLPA is stating they will take legal action if deemed appropriate.

Holy shit did anyone catch that Lamar broken sack which turned into a 21 yard reception by the guy he didn't actually throw it to?

Sorry your team had to lose to the effing Jets @Skittzo

When the Browns did it it was hilarious

Every team in the AFC North lost this week. Fraud division if you ask me

Sorry your team had to lose to the effing Jets @Skittzo

When the Browns did it it was hilarious

Every team in the AFC North lost this week. Fraud division if you ask me
Quite frankly I'm horrifically offended that you seem to think I'm a Steelers fan. Like, that hurts my soul deep down...

I'm a Ravens fan.

Quite frankly I'm horrifically offended that you seem to think I'm a Steelers fan. Like, that hurts my soul deep down...

I'm a Ravens fan.
Lol sorry, I knew you were a Ravens fan. I just got the games mixed up. It was the Bills you lost to, not the Jets haha

The AFC North is still a bunch of losers this week regardless.

The defense has been pretty good all season, but Denver seems to be going for the record for most ugly, uninteresting games this year. Our offense just has zero rhythm and cohesion.

This game is such a snoozer. Except kinda not, because both teams just seem to be playing the absolute worst football I’ve seen in the NFL in years.

Both of these teams should be eliminated in a rare double whammy decision.

Silly Matt Ryan, you’re old and washed and you ain’t making the line to gain!

Back
Top Bottom