• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Next week is my birthday, so recommend some regional food for me to make.

Anjoface

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
He/him
Oooohhh this is so exciting, my first post AND thread!

Anyway, next sunday I'm turning 20 (basically still a baby to some of you /s) and since I won't do much else I think it would be good to at least make some tasty food to celebrate.
So I would really apreciate some regional food recommendations, bonus points if it's vegan!

Poutine, maybe?
Poutine.JPG

I'm from the US, so actually finding places that sell it here is a bit of a challenge.

If the cheese curds are an issue, some variants actually use green peas instead.

Can you legally drink? (Don't want to get in troubles here haha)

If that’s the case I want to recommend Terremoto (literally earthquake) to accompany your birthday meal, a drink from Chile created after the 1985 earthquake and made with a few simple ingredients:
  • Pipeño wine: a type of low tier wine made in Chile, it is kinda sweet and there's 2 varieties: white and red (use white) but overall (IMO) as a wine it's kinda bad. But that's the trick, Pipeño is a cheap wine in Chile because it's seen as a "farmer's wine". If you can't find Pipeño, any white wine will do, the worse/cheaper the better, because the Terremoto doesn't judge you (and mostly because of the next ingredient).
  • Grenadine syrup: for the sweet taste of the drink. This is the reason why you use cheap white wine, because the grenadine syrup's sweetness will overcome the taste of the wine, so you will waste your money if you buy a fancy wine. Trust me on this.
  • Pineapple ice cream. Just that. Any cheap ice cream will do. Water based, not cream based so it can dissolve on the drink.
Use a big glass and put 3-5 scoops of ice cream in it, then add Pipeño/wine till the glass is 85-90% full, and then add grenadine (that part depends on your taste, mostly to dilute the wine so it's not too strong or too weak in the alcohol department).

Terremoto made with white wine and a lot of grenadine looks like the left one, while Terremoto made with Pipeño and a little touch of grenadine looks like the right one:
Terremotopiojera.jpg

And as a final note, as a sweet drink, be careful with drinking too much because the alcohol enters your body like a torpedo without you noticing anything. Again, trust me on this, or in no time you will feel like the earth is shaking!

Last edited:
Another wonderfull suggestion, thank you so much @Falcatops!
As always if I end up making something that you all propose then I will take a photo of it and post it here.

I’ve recently gotten into cooking Indian cuisine.

Here’s a great resource, his recipes have turned out phenomenally.

So far this week, I’ve made lamb vindaloo, lamb saag, and dal tadka. Indian has tons of vegan options, like the aforementioned dal. Depending on your location, some ingredients may be hard to source.
Oh wow I really like this one, but I'm sorry to say that I probably won't make this one since where I'm from not only would be pretty hard to find the ingredients.
But thank you for the suggestion anyway!

Oh wow I really like this one, but I'm sorry to say that I probably won't make this one since where I'm from not only would be pretty hard to find the ingredients.
But thank you for the suggestion anyway!
That’s one of the difficulties of foreign cuisines, so I understand.

I’m lucky that I live near the area in the US around the largest Indian-American community, so ingredients are found at most grocery stores and there are Indian-focused grocery stores.

Do you have any particular taste preferences? Sweet? Savory? Umami? Examples of dishes you’ve made before? That could help with some other recommendations.

That’s one of the difficulties of foreign cuisines, so I understand.

I’m lucky that I live near the area in the US around the largest Indian-American community, so ingredients are found at most grocery stores and there are Indian-focused grocery stores.

Do you have any particular taste preferences? Sweet? Savory? Umami? Examples of dishes you’ve made before? That could help with some other recommendations.
To be honest I was thinking of making the first 2 suggestions and then doing a traditional recepie from my country for the main dish.
And I really want to do a moqueca.

Back
Top Bottom