• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion New Pokémon Snap is fun, but damn it could be more fun

Dusa

Bob-omb
Pronouns
She/Her
Imagine if we got like

Arcade mode

No cutscenes, no unlocks, designed to be a shorter experience like the N64 game

That'd be righteous

New Pokémon Snap is pretty easily the best first party game of the year imo, unless I'm forgetting something. Have they hinted at if there's a possibility of more free updates down the road? An arcade mode would be great.

New Pokémon Snap is pretty easily the best first party game of the year imo, unless I'm forgetting something. Have they hinted at if there's a possibility of more free updates down the road? An arcade mode would be great.
I think the big problem with it is that it's a lot of boring cutscenes, like Professor Oak real quick tells me "find Mew" and I'm good.

I also want Braixen in the game, you'd throw a glow ball at her and she'd do like, a magic show

this is only a game i rented at hotel rooms in michigan for a wedding, i think its about trying to get Oak to not say "you were close". never figured that out D:

I think the big problem with it is that it's a lot of boring cutscenes, like Professor Oak real quick tells me "find Mew" and I'm good.

I also want Braixen in the game, you'd throw a glow ball at her and she'd do like, a magic show
Nah she’d set you on fire

This is a good idea! I'd like this.

I also would like a "Slowpoke Island" stage, where it's just a big Island full of various Slowpokes, Slowbros, and even Slowkings lounging around. You could even have some of their friends show up, like Shellder and Psyduck.

Then people would complain its too short,in the last 20 years, wherever someone asked for a snap 2,you heard comments like "how you will make a 60$ game you can beat in 2 hours,the padding was necessary

This is a good idea! I'd like this.

I also would like a "Slowpoke Island" stage, where it's just a big Island full of various Slowpokes, Slowbros, and even Slowkings lounging around. You could even have some of their friends show up, like Shellder and Psyduck.
Do we get Galarian and Mega Slowbro and Galarian Slowking too

Then people would complain its too short,in the last 20 years, wherever someone asked for a snap 2,you heard comments like "how you will make a 60$ game you can beat in 2 hours,the padding was necessary
Why would an Arcade Mode elicit any such response

And I always said to those people "most of the best games can be beat in two hours, but if you insist then they could probably add a bonus location such as Slowpoke Island"

Do we get Galarian and Mega Slowbro and Galarian Slowking too

Why would an Arcade Mode elicit any such response

Yes! They're all there, lazing about with their friends.

I think if your only complaints are that there is a story and that some Pokemon you like aren't in it, it still passes as a fantastic game and your gripes are very subjective

New Pokemon Snap is my game of the year right after Metroid Dread. Incredible game that went above and beyond the original.

I mean, most of the game takes place after the story anyway. Going for 100% has zero new cutscenes.

I'm imagining a great mission where Oak just says "Snap the moment a Poke becomes a King". You immediately start on the island and have to get a picture of this at the perfect time!

slowpoke-pokemon.gif

I agree that there is unnecessary bloat but once you get past the initial grind is when the game truly comes into it's own. I do appreciate that the original can be played in an afternoon, and I really loved that about it, but I think they're just two quite different games. Anyway, I'm beyond enthusiastic about this game to the point of irrationalism - I actually rate it as my favourite video game so I'm not going to be too down on a few cutscenes even if they are lame and repetitive.

I think people complaining about how short New Snap is forget just how much shorter the N64 game was. Now that is a game that can be done in one sitting.

I actually enjoyed the unlocks for each stage as it incentivised people to keep coming back and see what had changed, there was genuine excitement reaching the next level and wondering what new 'Mons would be present. Perhaps the unlock system could have been streamlined mind, but the idea was solid.

Each to their own but I'll happily take a slower unlock system that keeps me invested over an all-you-can-eat buffet that I'd be done with in an hour or two.

As an additional mode, sure that'd be fun. Maybe an as unlock at the end though ;)

I just wish some of the poses weren't so obtuse to get. A good part of the missions are basically impossible to figure on your own because they depend on you doing a bunch of random stuff in the right timing and order. I don't remember the original being like that, I think it was pretty easy to 100% without a guide.

Other than that, it's a fantastic game. I hope we get more releases in the series.

I was very excited for this game but came away disappointed. A few things really bogged down the experience for me.

Star Ranking System: I would often get 3 star photos on my first play through a level, and going back to get "worse" photos wasn't really fun or motivating. This really bothered me and I wish they would have kept a simple overall point system.

Lack of Evolution: Arcanine in the volcano. Gyrados in the waterfall. These were some of my favorite parts of the original.

Boss/Illumina Levels: These were far too long, frustrating and not fun
Wishiwashi was the worst

Nitpicky: Illumina Orbs make pokemon look bad in photos. And it takes wayyy to long to get the turbo.

These are all issues that may not bother some people, but they prevented me from loving the game. I took a break halfway before coming back to finish it. In the end, I'm glad they made a sequel but I really prefer the first game. I'm curious how it will hold up once it comes to NSO+.

Last edited:
I think people complaining about how short New Snap is forget just how much shorter the N64 game was.
This is probably my favorite thing about the original, and why I consider it to be one of the best 50 games ever made. Just so easy to run through and show off to friends. Thats probably why it had sequel demand so much later, it's easy to show off the whole thing.

I think if your only complaints are that there is a story and that some Pokemon you like aren't in it, it still passes as a fantastic game and your gripes are very subjective

New Pokemon Snap is my game of the year right after Metroid Dread. Incredible game that went above and beyond the original.

I mean, most of the game takes place after the story anyway. Going for 100% has zero new cutscenes.

After revisiting New Pokemon Snap, I'm revisiting this post to say damn the bloat is unreal

I definitely felt the bloat in New Pokémon Snap. But honestly, the game was such a joy to play through overall. I think the soundtrack left a bit to be desired compared to the first game, but other than that it was basically everything I could have hoped for. One of the highlights of the Switch generation for me.

Yeah I think if they ever make a new Snap they should let us fast forward through the story stuff. No reason to prattle on and on!

I can already imagine a Snap 3. More locations, more branching paths, more everything.

I didn't play a lot of the game but I remember complaining about the intro being unskippable. I just wanted to get through the game. I'm not here for story, I'm here for something more arcade-y like the original. Lol

I'll come back to it, I dropped it for reasons unrelated to the game itself, I might've been just busy.

I found the intense eye contact from the professor uncomfortable.

I didn't play a lot of the game but I remember complaining about the intro being unskippable. I just wanted to get through the game. I'm not here for story, I'm here for something more arcade-y like the original. Lol

I'll come back to it, I dropped it for reasons unrelated to the game itself, I might've been just busy.
You gonna play it?

You gonna play it?
Probably.
A friend told me how the progression system works and it sounds extremely not my thing and a possible deal breaker. I'm too busy with Mega Man right now as of late anyways........ So maybe another time.

Back
Top Bottom