• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion New Mario Strikers Battle League Japanese overview trailer (UPDATE: English trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketing should start ramping up in Europe, let's see Japan and AMER.

I’m not sure that is saying much. Either way I’m interested in what the review scored will be for this.
Mario Tennis Aces: 75MC
Mario Golf Super Rush: 70MC
I expect it to be higher than both even if it’s only due to the better animations and ‘charisma’ of the game , I think it will be in the 77-79 range

I’m not sure that is saying much. Either way I’m interested in what the review scored will be for this.
I expect it to be higher than both even if it’s only due to the better animations and ‘charisma’ of the game , I think it will be in the 77-79 range
As a comparison:
Super Mario Strikers (GC) - 76 MC
Mario Strikers Charged (Wii) - 79 MC

Mario Tennis Aces deserves better

more trailers

4 in total

The game looks amazing, may be the best looking Switch game of the year

Lol, that "so much it hurts!" tagline feels straight out of the 90s down to the accompanying guitar riff. Also, these trailers continue the substantial marketing lead Strikers has over other Mario sports titles.

Camelot may have the leg up on core, fundamental "easy and fun gameplay", since to be fair they've been making these sports games for like 2 decades. They know how to create fun golf and tennis gameplay.

Otherwise, I generally slot Next Level Games above Camelot in Developer Power Levels (Think DBZ) so I'm expecting mid-80s.

I anticipate they will outperform the other Mario Sports titles in overall polish graphically, in terms of content outta the box, and in terms of flexibility of multiplayer options both local and online.

I think sales vs the other sports titles can go either way tho! Soccer/Football in the US is not as high of a draw as in the Japan and European markets 🤔

Still pretty uncertain about this. I don't like soccer, but it looks pretty fun...just worried about the content. Is there enough non-online content to keep me busy? I just had two kids, so it's hard to be absolutely locked in against someone online for more than a couple of minutes. Is there enough variety and depth to make each match feel different, or will they all start to feel the same? I know, there aren't answers there yet...it's intriguing.

Still pretty uncertain about this. I don't like soccer, but it looks pretty fun...just worried about the content. Is there enough non-online content to keep me busy? I just had two kids, so it's hard to be absolutely locked in against someone online for more than a couple of minutes. Is there enough variety and depth to make each match feel different, or will they all start to feel the same? I know, there aren't answers there yet...it's intriguing.

Charged had a very high skill ceiling. From the looks of it, I think Battle League's lack of character diversity except for stats & gear will lead to less variety in 1x1 matches but it should be very very competitive & strategic in 4x4. The 'Bash' move to your team mates is a nice addition too. Charged was very broken, I'm just concerned Battle League sacrificed some mechanical depth for the sake of competitive balance.

Charged had a very high skill ceiling. From the looks of it, I think Battle League's lack of character diversity except for stats & gear will lead to less variety in 1x1 matches but it should be very very competitive & strategic in 4x4. The 'Bash' move to your team mates is a nice addition too. Charged was very broken, I'm just concerned Battle League sacrificed some mechanical depth for the sake of competitive balance.
Yeah I think it's very clear this game will focus more on the competitive team setup, especially considering it is literally called 'Battle League'.

Mario_Strikers_Luigi_Dance.gif

Why are Nintendo sports games always scored this low? I play them and never see anything wrong with them that deserves these scores, they should atleast be in the 8’s minimum for the polish and no bugs
Scores are made up numbers for nerds to feel better and in no way reflect how enjoyable the game is.

Sports games are the easiest review scores to predict. Does the game do nothing obviously egregious a reviewer who doesn't care for sports outside their job would detect? 7-8. Does the game do nothing obviously egregious the reviewer who doesn't care for sports outside their job would detect but the game is successful enough they've heard about the franchise from actual sports fans before? 8-9.

Last edited:
Still doesn’t explain the always average scores
Maybe I am biased because the stuff I am going to mention is basically what I want the most out of these Mario sports games, but I feel they would get better scores if they had more full-fledged single-player experiences and other modes.

Slap a good RPG campaign on Tennis and Golf, give Strikers a career or team management mode, and I am willing to bet the games would threaten to hit mid-80s on Metacritic, because as far as mechanics go, they are all fantastic. Well, except for Super Rush, but that's another topic!

Still doesn’t explain the always average scores
I don’t really understand your obsession with those scores. Critics need to score any game they play, be it a smaller scale 2D platformer or a Sony AAA title, and of course the latter will often get higher scores just because of the production value. That doesn’t mean it’s a better game or that people think it’s better per se, this is just how those review scores work. I don’t see anything bad about that as long as you know what the purpose of review scores is.

Mario Sports Games aren’t really a favorable thing to put into that scale because they don’t offer a big single player experience or very expansive content, it’s more about some fun matches with friends. Which is fine? I never saw someone complaining about review scores for these rather small games. And if you talk about polish and quality, I think that even declined. Mario Golf Super Rush didn’t really meet expectations from a graphical standpoint is what I‘ll say.

I don’t really understand your obsession with those scores. Critics need to score any game they play, be it a smaller scale 2D platformer or a Sony AAA title, and of course the latter will often get higher scores just because of the production value. That doesn’t mean it’s a better game or that people think it’s better per se, this is just how those review scores work. I don’t see anything bad about that as long as you know what the purpose of review scores is.

Mario Sports Games aren’t really a favorable thing to put into that scale because they don’t offer a big single player experience or very expansive content, it’s more about some fun matches with friends. Which is fine? I never saw someone complaining about review scores for these rather small games. And if you talk about polish and quality, I think that even declined. Mario Golf Super Rush didn’t really meet expectations from a graphical standpoint is what I‘ll say.
There’s games even smaller than mario sports games that get reviewed well, size/content has nothing to do with it

s/o Astral_lion02 in Installbase for posting this:
20220526-191948.jpg

Mario Strikers in-store marketing has already started in France, I will go tomorrow to a couple of retail stores to check if it also has started in Spain (it probably has because I have been getting a lot of twitter ads lately about it lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom