• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Neon White launches June 16 on Switch and Steam (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

If it launches with no problems/gyro control/good reviews I’m definitely grabbing it day 1 tbh. This has the potential to be the next big indie hit like Hades was

If it launches with no problems/gyro control/good reviews I’m definitely grabbing it day 1 tbh. This has the potential to be the next big indie hit like Hades was
It looks good but I don't get that vibe from it. Cult of the Lamb I could see making a similar buzz to Hades.

So I guess this doesn't indicate a Direct next week one way or the other anymore?

Quoted by: em
There is/was a Steam demo a few months back that I played. Neon White will be a neat experience for a lot of people as a fast 1st person puzzle-platformer, even if it’s not for me.

So I guess this doesn't indicate a Direct next week one way or the other anymore?
Guess not.

It looks good but I don't get that vibe from it. Cult of the Lamb I could see making a similar buzz to Hades.
That could be the next big roguelike but my comparison is more in a general sense. Both have cool aesthetics and music, as well as some kind of relationship building system. Hades blew up not only due its quality but especially because it does a lot to break the inherent monotony or repetitiveness associated with roguelikes. Neon White isn’t a roguelike but while it looks like a hard sell due to its unlikely mix of genres, the arcadey/speedrun stuff isn’t for everyone either. However, it does seem like it gives the player a lot of incentives to encourage getting better and engaging with the game’s mechanics and gameplay loop, notably with the unlocking stuff.

This is coming from someone who usually doesn’t care for speedrunning or getting max rank in a game. I could go on a rant here on why ranking systems are a weak excuse to justify replays but essentially, I don’t think they offer much aside from bragging rights. However, I feel like Neon White’s format and structure seem to adress this issue I have with most arcade-adjacent games, sometimes a bit of extrinsic motivation to encourage you getting better in a game is good. Hopefully it turns out well, the ingredients are definitely in place so it at least becomes some kind of cult classic. Only question mark looking at some demo footage is the writing which might be too corny or meme-y but if the gameplay is good that doesn’t matter, especially if other languages are better

Have the game downloaded and ready to go.

There's so much good stuff to play right now. Neon White, Omori, the OlliOlli World DLC, TMNT, Cuphead DLC at end of month . . .wow.

I didn't expect that. I bought too many games, so I can wait for a sale, but this seems to be a must buy.

Not usually into FPS but this game looks awesome 🤩
Fluid, stylized, genre mashup.

Most outlets reviewed on PC, but scanning this goomba stomp review sounds like it was designed w Switch as the main platform. Near-locked 60fps 👍

This snuck past my radar, but I'm glad the reviews are surprisingly good. Not to say I thought the game would be poor or anything, as I didn't have any expectations whatsoever.

Plus, the game's for freaks by freaks according to the release date trailer, so it's like, "you're speaking directly to ME, game trailer!"

This and TMNT in the same week…very nice. Both are pre-loaded on my Switch.

Have the game downloaded and ready to go.

There's so much good stuff to play right now. Neon White, Omori, the OlliOlli World DLC, TMNT, Cuphead DLC at end of month . . .wow.
Yeah, it’s a really good month. Really looking forward to Omori, Sonic Origins and the Cuphead DLC.

Perfect game for a demo IMO. I love fps but looking at the gameplay scares me.

I've played the first half hour or so. It's really not scary at all. There's gyro there to help with aiming, but the game ramps up slowly with tutorial type levels and everything just feels smooth and not overwhelming or difficult (at least early on.) I would say so far it's less about overwhelming the player and more about optimizing your run through a specific level. Don't be afraid of the use of cards, it's essentially like cycling through weapons or tools with a button press.

But above all, the gameplay and movement just feels really good and intuitive. So even if it ramps up the complexity greatly, you're not going to be fighting the controls or anything.

Only had a bit of time to play but really like the way it feels. Tried it handheld and the text and UI are way too small. Annoying.

This really needs a demo. A card battler/rail/FPS/platformer? Yeah, I definitely need to take that for a spin first.

I'm glad to see the good impressions though because it looks really cool.

This really needs a demo. A card battler/rail/FPS/platformer? Yeah, I definitely need to take that for a spin first.

I'm glad to see the good impressions though because it looks really cool.

It's mainly a platformer/FPS. The movement is very fast paced like the recent Doom games.

There's no synergistic deck building or anything. You collect cards as you move through a level. Each card supplies a specific weapon with a certain amount of ammo, and you can switch between cards by pressing the L button. Each kind of card can also be "trashed" with R, which gets rid of the card but immediately gives you a movement option, like an extra jump in the air for example.

The game that I would best compare it to is something like Portal where you would have bite size levels (testing rooms) that sometimes required a careful mix of quick platforming and shooting to complete. It's kind of like that. Except here it's a bit more like an obstacle course and you can often figure out shortcuts using your cards to get to the "flagpole" faster.

Last edited:
I didn’t try the demo and went in completely blind and it’s awesome.

It’s basically a fps trackmania with cards. And I love it.

Played the first set of ten levels and then played them again to hunt for presents and get ace medals. This game is pretty cool so far! I love good movement and this game feels very good. Excited to play more soon!

Even though I played a little bit of the PC demo earlier this year I got the Switch version today.

SO glad I did! It plays so well and the gyro controls are fantastic. This definitely feels like a product from the Dreamcast-era...Good Future in the best way.

It's mainly a platformer/FPS. The movement is very fast paced like the recent Doom games.

There's no synergistic deck building or anything. You collect cards as you move through a level. Each card supplies a specific weapon with a certain amount of ammo, and you can switch between cards by pressing the L button. Each kind of card can also be "trashed" with R, which gets rid of the card but immediately gives you a movement option, like an extra jump in the air for example.

The game that I would best compare it to is something like Portal where you would have bite size levels (testing rooms) that sometimes required a careful mix of quick platforming and shooting to complete. It's kind of like that. Except here it's a bit more like an obstacle course and you can often figure out shortcuts using your cards to get to the "flagpole" faster.

That sounds really cool. Thanks for the info.

I fricking love this game! I'm doing the red medal of Chapter 5 and got the world record in the first level on switch. I don't think i will keep my record but this game is marvelous.

It's fantastic. Reminds me of oldschool FPS games in a good way: flow, crunch, smoove techno. There's more than a little modern Doom in here too which is good.

The visual novel stuff is... not for me though xD . But it's easily skippable.

Easily in my top 3 games I've played this year. Still haven't beaten the main story, since I try to optimize my time on every level before moving on, since it's just so fun!

Back
Top Bottom