• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic My Nintendo |ST| What am I to do with all these keychains

zroid

This Space For Sale
mynintendofamiboardsb5vkm5.png

Welcome to the My Nintendo Discussion Thread on FAMIBOARDS!

NEWS! Recent changes and updates to the program will be highlighted in this colour.

What is My Nintendo?

Nintendo's official customer loyalty program, introduced in March of 2016, replacing the former Club Nintendo service.
What is the difference between My Nintendo and Club Nintendo?
My Nintendo does not directly feature any sort of physical rewards, nor does it rely on customer feedback via surveys to accrue credits, though they do email you surveys from time to time. You earn "platinum" and "gold" points by completing missions laid out on the site. Some missions can be completed multiple times, others can only be completed once.
As of 2020, My Nintendo does offer physical rewards updated periodically, in most major Nintendo regions. They are exclusively purchased with Platinum points and must be redeemed on the Nintendo store. Unlike Club Nintendo, the Nintendo store items are not shipped for free. However, it is a flat rate ($6 in US) so you can combine as many items in one order as you like.​
How do Platinum and Gold points work?
platinumreg1puov.png

Regular Platinum points are normally earned by completing various missions unrelated to specific mobile software. An example includes the weekly mission of signing into the 3DS or Wii U eShop, for which you earn 30 regular Platinum points. Regular Platinum points can be redeemed for any type of Platinum reward, so they are slightly more useful than the others.

platinumacqtuqp.png

Animal Crossing Platinum points are earned by completing missions in the smartphone game "Animal Crossing Pocket Camp".

platinumfeccuog.png

Fire Emblem Platinum points are earned by completing missions in the smartphone game "Fire Emblem Heroes".

platinummt6su0m.png

Miitomo Platinum points are earned by completing missions in the smartphone app "Miitomo".

platinumsm1hutw.png

Super Mario Platinum points are earned by completing missions in the smartphone game "Super Mario Run".

NOTE: Game-specific Platinum points cannot be redeemed for rewards pertaining to a different game. They can be redeemed for non-specific rewards such as themes, wallpapers, and software discounts, however.

goldzmuot.png

Gold points are normally earned only by purchasing physical Switch software, or purchasing digital software on 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. Gold points are typically redeemed for monetary value on the Nintendo Switch eShop. Gold points earned from digital purchases on the various eShops will equate to 5% credit back, and physical Switch software purchases will yield 1% credit back. The exact value of a gold coin will depend on the region your account is located. In the USA they will be worth 1 cent each, and so for a 60 dollar software purchase from the eShop you should receive 300 gold coins worth $3.

Hidden Missions
There are some missions available which are not explicitly laid out on the site, but nevertheless can earn you Platinum points. Two examples of these are (1) logging into Nintendo.com while signed into your Nintendo Account (weekly), and (2) clicking on the rolling Platinum coin on the My Nintendo homepage (weekly).
Point Expiration
Platinum points expire at the end of the 6th month from when they were earned.
Gold points expire at the end of the 12th month from when they were earned.
See here for a detailed breakdown of when your points will expire.
What kinds of rewards are available?
Rewards come in a few different categories. Each Nintendo mobile game/app has a series of in-game rewards which can be obtained by redeeming Regular Platinum points and that app's specific Platinum points. In addition to these, you can redeem Platinum and/or Gold points for desktop/smartphone wallpapers; discounts to assorted eShop titles, usually from 20-50% off; 3DS themes, both exclusive and not; occasionally full digital game downloads; and other stuff like digital strategy guides.
A selection of physical rewards are now also available to order with My Nintendo Platinum Points, however unlike Club Nintendo you are required to pay for shipping.
How do physical rewards work?
As described above, all physical rewards are redeemed with Platinum Points. Prices have historically varied from 300 to 1000 points per reward. Once you redeem your points you will be issued a code. This code is valid until the date indicated on the reward page (usually a couple months from the date the reward is posted on the site). Rewards are available in limited quantities so it's best to claim yours early if you can. However, most rewards have gotten restocks eventually.​
Once you redeem your code on the Nintendo store website, it will be added to your cart. You must be signed into your account to redeem your code and add the item to cart, so do not worry about it disappearing from the cart before you place the order. It will be saved.​

Combining shipping on physical rewards
Please note: it has been pointed out by a fellow user that the following details may only apply to the North American version of the Nintendo store. Other regions may have different restrictions, so keep that in mind! Apologies for the inconvenience.
Since you have to pay for shipping for physical rewards, it can get expensive if you order one or two things at a time ($6 US per shipment). If possible it's best to combine as many rewards into one order. Rewards on the Nintendo store generally remain available for redemption even after the codes have all been issued on My Nintendo, so it can be understood that once you have a code, an item will be reserved for you. However, the codes do expire so it is best not to wait too long before redeeming. Once you have added a reward to your cart on the Nintendo store it will remain saved there indefinitely.​

It is important to note that there is some ambiguity as to how long you can hold onto an item in your cart before it will no longer be available to ship. There have been reports from users that if the code technically expired then even if the item is already in your cart, the site may not allow you to proceed with the order. However, there have also been reports of the opposite; items can be ordered even well after the expiration date. It is unknown exactly how this works, so it may be better to play it safe and not wait too long. But if you really don't want to pay shipping until you have a sufficient quantity of rewards coming your way then it might be worth taking the risk.

Where do I redeem my points?
All available rewards can be redeemed from the MyNintendo website directly. When you redeem rewards from the website, it will automatically use the most proximally expiring points available. If it is a generic Platinum reward then the entire pool of Platinum points will be available, or if it's an app-specific reward, then only generic and that app's specific points will be used. You can also choose to redeem points for an app-specific reward from within that app itself. Be aware that when doing this, only the app-specific points will be used. In other words, redeeming points from within an app will not consume any generic Platinum points on your account.
Gold points can be redeemed for cash value toward qualifying Switch software and DLC. Redemption can occur both using the Switch console eShop app and from Nintendo website purchases.
When do the rewards update?
Rewards sometimes update on an irregular schedule, but typically you will see new rewards near the beginning of every calendar month, and Nintendo often releases physical rewards alongside their new game releases to help promote them.
Tips for earning Platinum Points to redeem that physical reward I really want
The best way to ensure you have plenty of Platinum Points for when needed is to participate in Nintendo's mobile offerings. With Animal Crossing you can earn up to 180 points per week, and with Super Mario Run you can earn up to 120 per week. Fire Emblem Heroes offers a number of points to claim as well, however they are not recurring missions, and may take more effort than the other two games. You can also earn 30 points per week from each of logging onto the 3DS or Wii U eshop (don't ask why this isn't compatible with Switch eshop), from clicking on the rolling Platinum coin on the My Nintendo homepage, and from browsing the Nintendo website while signed into your account. That's 90 in total. Together you can get a steady income of 390 points per week which adds up in a hurry. It doesn't take much time really, but it may take some effort on your part to integrate it with your routine. If that's worthwhile or not can only be decided by each person individually!​
Why are all the rewards so bad?
sauo8.png

But it says Switch rewards are "Coming soon!"
No it doesn't! Check the site! SWITCH REWARDS ARE LIVE!

Last edited:
I was so annoyed when I got the Splatoon keychains, it's my favorite series and I wanted something cute for my keys or my Walkman but they're just way too big lol

Great post @zroid!

I really like most of the physical rewards and have ordered quite a few. Annoyingly, the combining shipping for physical rewards part doesn‘t apply, to my knowledge, to the EU My Nintendo store, contrary to the US one. You can only use one code per order (additional products that are not free can be added, though). Not sure whether the same goes for the UK store.

Thanks as always @zroid for your hard work!

I really hope we get some of the JP/PAL-exclusive items.
Yeah, ctrl+c and ctrl+v really got a workout this morning! 😂

Agreed about the rewards from other regions, there are several I am really coveting.

Great post @zroid!

I really like most of the physical rewards and have ordered quite a few. Annoyingly, the combining shipping for physical rewards part doesn‘t apply, to my knowledge, to the EU My Nintendo store, contrary to the US one. You can only use one code per order (additional products that are not free can be added, though). Not sure whether the same goes for the UK store.
Can someone confirm this? I've never heard this before. How irritating.

Can someone confirm this? I've never heard this before. How irritating.
As no one has answered yet, I just checked the two most important EU My Nintendo Stores again (Germany and France). All EU My Nintendo Stores are based on the German My Nintendo Store, so I chose France as a representative for the other countries that use the EU My Nintendo Store.

Both say the same:

Du kannst weitere Produkte aus dem My Nintendo Store zusammen mit diesem Artikel bestellen. Bitte beachte, dass nur ein Code pro Bestellung eingelöst werden kann. Der Code für diese Belohnung kann nicht mit einem My Nintendo Store-Gutschein kombiniert werden.
(for example on https://mynintendostore.nintendo.de/mario-hanafuda-postcard-set.html)

and

Vous pouvez lui adjoindre d'autres articles du My Nintendo Store. Notez qu'il n'est pas possible d'enregistrer plus d'un code par commande. Le code de cette récompense ne peut pas être combiné avec un bon de réduction My Nintendo Store.
(for example on https://mynintendostore.nintendo.fr/pikmin-3-deluxe-coaster-set.html).

They both say that you can add other products to the order, but can only enter one code per order. So far, all physical rewards are code-based. So these statements unfortunately seem to be in line with my experience that I couldn‘t add other rewards (but products that are not free) to an order with one reward.

The shipping costs for people in Germany are 3.99 €, which is fine (7.98 € for two rewards seems to be OK, even if it‘s slightly annoying as in many cases they could be sent in one package), but all other EU countries have at least 6.99 € per order, so this really can add up.

While I hope that these points improve, I‘m really happy that we have such nice physical rewards at all. Hopefully we‘ll get the amazing Metroid Dread posters here, too.

The UK store (which is nowadays different to the EU stores) does not seem to have this limit, at least I couldn‘t find such a sentence.

There's a new sweepstakes related to the LEGO ? Block set. Unfortunately, it's not to win one 😂

7928d4ad59193b2b

Have you ever wondered how a LEGO set is developed? Eight lucky winners will receive an opportunity to participate in a virtual meet-n-greet with LEGO Designers, Pablo Gonzalez Gonzalez and Benjamin Lundquist Ma, who were part of the creative team behind the LEGO® Super Mario 64™ ? Block. In addition to a spot in the virtual meet-n-greet session, winners will also receive a poster signed by the designers.

LOL^ similarly, why do the sweepstakes (such as skyward sword) not include a copy of the game?

Slightly alarmed that the Nintendo Store rewards category has disappeared on the NA My Nintendo site. The page itself doesn't exist either.

most likely they are in the process of adding/removing rewards and it was taken offline by mistake

Just gonna leave this here:

This could be why the NA My Nintendo Store rewards disappeared.

Last edited:
Two rewards were restocked...

the Bravely Default 2 poster, and the Smash Bros. greeting cards

operasnapshot_2021-11oikhz.png

Another restock.

DC Super Hero Girls bag, Skyward Sword HD panel, Metroid Dread posters, and LEGO Mario Keychain are all back

The Smash Bros greeting card set coming back incentivized me to make my first ever Nintendo order, snagging it along with a refurbished Joy-Con grip and the classic Pikmin plush that Miyamoto throws in this iconic photo

x6xquk1l5m611.jpg

Still no 2022 calendars. They're cutting it awfully close.

I wish we got more soundtracks as rewards. Japan gets them regularly, and I'm still so proud of owning the Smash For cd.

Still no 2022 calendar in Europe. Il is so weird since it has been up for several weeks in Japan and Australia

Still no 2022 calendar in Europe. Il is so weird since it has been up for several weeks in Japan and Australia

I'm also hoping to see that in the US soon. I love the one they put out last year and I'd like to get one for 2022, too!

Finally. The calendar. And getting a plushie for my nephew alongside it makes the shipping irrelevant.

Have they lowered their P&P charge recently?

Apparently you can now earn and redeem platinum points via Nintendo Switch Online app. Redemptions seem to be limited to Switch profile icons at this moment. You can get characters, backgrounds, and frames for 5-10 points each.

Best reward in a while!
If only I had the Platinum Points to spare…

Nintendo really needs to give us more ways to earn Platinum Points with all these NSO icon elements regularly eating up so many points. ._.

Nintendo really needs to give us more ways to earn Platinum Points with all these NSO icon elements regularly eating up so many points. ._.
Agreed, though the NSO missions are helping somewhat

Quoted by: Tye
Agreed, though the NSO missions are helping somewhat
Yeah, the mission for playing Splatoon 2 was a nice surprise, though it’s kinda offset by the fact that they’ve started releasing icon elements for three games per month now. If I wasn’t also playing Super Mario Run daily, checking into the 3DS/Wii U eShop weekly, and doing a chapter of Fire Emblem Heroes every once in awhile (which is a finite source of points…) then I’d probably already have run out or be very close to running out of points by now…

I considered collecting all of the icon elements for Animal Crossing, but quickly realized it'd become an addiction (and I'd never use the vast majority of them, anyway), so I only buy the ones I like.

Yeah, the mission for playing Splatoon 2 was a nice surprise, though it’s kinda offset by the fact that they’ve started releasing icon elements for three games per month now. If I wasn’t also playing Super Mario Run daily, checking into the 3DS/Wii U eShop weekly, and doing a chapter of Fire Emblem Heroes every once in awhile (which is a finite source of points…) then I’d probably already have run out or be very close to running out of points by now…
Ah yeah I see, I’ve quickly become more picky and choosy with which icons I’m redeeming. There’s a fun novelty to it right now but I know I won’t change my avatar that often and if they can only be used there it’s not essential for me to have them all so I’m fighting my completionist urge.

Basically:
I considered collecting all of the icon elements for Animal Crossing, but quickly realized it'd become an addiction (and I'd never use the vast majority of them, anyway), so I only buy the ones I like.

Ah yeah I see, I’ve quickly become more picky and choosy with which icons I’m redeeming. There’s a fun novelty to it right now but I know I won’t change my avatar that often and if they can only be used there it’s not essential for me to have them all so I’m fighting my completionist urge.

Basically:
Yeah, I realize this a problem that I’ve created myself because I insist on getting every icon element as they’re released (despite the fact that I’ll never actually use any of them because I use my Mii instead—let us use Miis with these frames and backgrounds, Nintendo!), I guess just because I like having them all on my account to make it “complete” in a way. The way I see it, if there’s ever a physical My Nintendo reward that I really want, there’s always the option of buying it secondhand on eBay or something, but these icon elements can’t be obtained any other way, and we have no idea if they’ll ever start repeating past icon elements either, so I have to prioritize spending my Platinum Points on all of them as they release if I want to ensure that I can have them all. Maybe it’s a bit unnecessary, lol, but I know I’m definitely not alone in doing this, either!

I got the Kirby bag. It's alright, the material is some kind of plastic, I had hoped it was cloth. Probably my fault for not reading carefully lol

I got the Kirby bag. It's alright, the material is some kind of plastic, I had hoped it was cloth. Probably my fault for not reading carefully lol
I had this one sitting in my cart and was going to order it yesterday along with the coasters and some other items. But apparently it went out of stock at some point so I had to delete it. I have tons of shopping bags so I wasn't too disappointed, but it would've been nice to get a reward I would actually use rather than just sit on a shelf or table somewhere. Ah well. if it was plastic then I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.

I had this one sitting in my cart and was going to order it yesterday along with the coasters and some other items. But apparently it went out of stock at some point so I had to delete it. I have tons of shopping bags so I wasn't too disappointed, but it would've been nice to get a reward I would actually use rather than just sit on a shelf or table somewhere. Ah well. if it was plastic then I probably wouldn't have used it anyway.

I'll probably fill it up with stuff and leave it on a shelf or table lol

this is a bit random but does anyone have super mario run and would like to add me as a friend? i have 9 friends so 1 more and i can finally complete that one mission 😂

These look terrific. Really happy with it! Definitely one of the best rewards yet.

20220506_121602orjnu.jpg

Now to never use them because I don't want them to get stained 🥲

Last edited:
Anyone mind sharing the quickest way to complete the mission for backing up save data? I thought going into the system menu and making sure everything is up to date would be fine, but no dice.

Anyone mind sharing the quickest way to complete the mission for backing up save data? I thought going into the system menu and making sure everything is up to date would be fine, but no dice.
Literally boot up any game with cloud saves

The Fire Emblem notepad is available now!

I wonder if Xenoblade will get any physical rewards; it doesn't seem like it based on the fact they didn't mention anything in the news post about Xenoblade recently. Alas.

Back
Top Bottom