• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Movie Discussion |ST| Whats Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh yeah i saw Los Hermanos del Hierro last night, now that's some fucking kino. phenomenal performances and some really stirring directions that sells what a godless, bone dry hellscape the mexican north can be. julio aleman's madness beneath the surface is so good. i don't think i've seen a western as brutal about being doomed to violence like this one.

Picked up the first 2 Scorcese World Cinema sets. Half way through, my ratings so far:

1: Redes - Went in with zero expectations and
was completely blown away. Beautifully shot early sound Mexican film about fishermen unionizing and seizing the means of production. Lots of hell yeah moments.

2: The Housemaid - Incredibly tense 60s Korean thriller. Feels years ahead of its time in style and content. Has one of the funniest endings I've ever seen.

3: Touki Bouki - A surreal 70s Senegalese road trip film. Funny, shocking, moving, and absolutely gorgeous

4: Taipei Story - Wow, cool buildings. A cold, sad, slow movie about a young couples dissolving relationship. Both straight forward and cryptic.

5: Law of the Boarder - Turkish western that's sadly in really rough shape due to deteriorated film elements. A bit slow and confusing at first, but the last 20 minutes absolutely rip.

6: Trances - A documentary/concert film about the most famous Moroccan band of all time. This one was a bit rough. Super interesting to get a glimpse into a time and culture I know nothing about, but this movie is definitely made for existing fans of this band and doesn't do much to explain why they're so important to Moroccan culture. Personally not a fan of the music, but YMMV.

Dipping my toes into Mizoguchi lately - watched Sansho the Bailiff and Ugetsu. It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said, they are absolute masterpieces and I've been thinking about them a lot. Incredible humanist storytelling and his use of depth is stunning.

Dipping my toes into Mizoguchi lately - watched Sansho the Bailiff and Ugetsu. It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said, they are absolute masterpieces and I've been thinking about them a lot. Incredible humanist storytelling and his use of depth is stunning.
Mizoguchi...or The Guch as I like to call him, rules. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum is an all timer, highly recommend. I remember watching it and just slowly realizing that it was on of The Greats (tm).

Mizoguchi...or The Guch as I like to call him, rules. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum is an all timer, highly recommend. I remember watching it and just slowly realizing that it was on of The Greats (tm).
I'll absolutely put it on my list! I'm also looking to see at least one Ozu movie - though I guess the whole thing with Ozu is that you have to see a few of them for the full breadth of the technique to come through. This is a pretty pretentious sounding when I say it on a forum. But I gotta get to know that tatami shot! 😅

I'll absolutely put it on my list! I'm also looking to see at least one Ozu movie - though I guess the whole thing with Ozu is that you have to see a few of them for the full breadth of the technique to come through. This is a pretty pretentious sounding when I say it on a forum. But I gotta get to know that tatami shot! 😅
Tokyo Story or Ohayo are great places to start, but I've never seen a bad Ozu.

While we're talking Japanese cinema: Sanjuro > Yojimbo.

Yojimbo is great, and everyone knows how it influenced Leone, how Mifune was shortlisted to be Obi-Wan Kenobi off the back of it, etc etc. But Sanjuro is not only a tighter film, it's funnier and the ending duel is one of the most iconic things Kurosawa ever did.

I was honestly a little bit disappointed when I first watched Yojimbo, probably due to how hyped up it is. Sanjuro on the other hand, I knew nothing about before watching it, and it stuck out to me way more. So many great scenes where the comedy goes beyond the language barrier and are fucking funny wherever you're watching them from. That scene where they have to laugh quietly... *chef's kiss

And again: that ending duel is perfection.

Top 5 Under The Radar Japanese Cinema Recs
1: Legend of the Stardust Brothers
2: Otoko wa Tsurai yo!
3: Labyrinth of Cinema
4: Tange Sazen and the Pot Worth One Million Ryo
5: Matango
Anime Bonus: A Thousand and One Nights

watched Animas Trujano, wasn't as good as the last ismael rodriguez kino i saw but at least it has toshiro mifune and gabriel figueroa's kinography. mifune plays an arrogant, drunk peasant and is really good at it lol. maybe his role and even casting is sus though, but that's #notmyproblem. dude really delivers on that tragic semi self aware jackass who just can't get out of the hole he digs himself into. and again it has figueroa as dp, the movie looks amazing. maybe not as good as Macario or Maria Candelaria but oh well
WbW10jp.png
jmjhUtS.png
DAE9JQt.png
zgQTV7J.png
9WK6Dos.png

What does everyone think of the Alamo Drafthouse theater?

I really love the look and service at the one that I usually go to.

i only went there to see the 4k restoration of the first godzilla movie and i thought it was whatever. the screening was mostly good and all but the food was too much. i really don't see the need people have of eating crunchy garlic bread in the kinoplex. it's just not for me, it's a shame they get these exclusive screenings but that's capitalism.

Watched Jackie Chan's Half a Loaf of Kung Fu. Felt more like I was getting a quarter of a loaf, but the bread was pretty high quality. One of the stronger Lo Wei adjacent Chan films, up there with Spiritual Kung Fu.

i only went there to see the 4k restoration of the first godzilla movie and i thought it was whatever. the screening was mostly good and all but the food was too much. i really don't see the need people have of eating crunchy garlic bread in the kinoplex. it's just not for me, it's a shame they get these exclusive screenings but that's capitalism.
I do prefer them over other theater businesses, but I get you about the food, I suppose.

Some recent films that I have seen in theaters.

See How They Run- 5/10. Worth a single viewing, but nothing memorable.

God's Country- Crap/10. Seriously, this was a waste of time and I almost walked out of the theater.

The Woman King- 8.5/10. Very good with Viola Davis giving another fantastic performance. This is a must see.

I do prefer them over other theater businesses, but I get you about the food, I suppose.
On the upside, the strict enforcement of rules means the crowds that watch movies there are an absolute pleasure compared to the noisy, phone-checking maniacs that go to AMC and Regal in my area.

On the upside, the strict enforcement of rules means the crowds that watch movies there are an absolute pleasure compared to the noisy, phone-checking maniacs that go to AMC and Regal in my area.
You mean I'm not the only one that has noticed this?!

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(I'm feeling so vindicated right now.)

Me and the missus watched the new Disney Pinocchio last night.

I must say at the outset, she enjoyed it, and thought I was being a grumpyguts.

I thought it was genuinely the worst film I have seen in some time. Not only is it bad in all the usual ways so many big budget films are, it's genuinely awful at just the basics of film making and screencraft. There are so many terrible decisions going on, so many baffling choices made, including;

- Someone convincing Tom Hanks to spend the whole film yelling in a terrible Italian accent

- the terrible terrible special effects. Pinocchio looks like a fan Unreal 4 mod of his own character.

- Everything about Pleasure land (ROOT BEER! ROOT BEER! HEY GUYS WERE DRINKING ROOT BEER!)

- Basic things like scene transitions feeling broken and shoddy.

You would think that, but I've seen a guy straight-up take a phone call in an Alamo

Watched a couple movies recently:

The Men Who Stare at Goats - A funny comedy with strong performances by Ewan McGregor, George Clooney, and Jeff Bridges. It's a strange movie and at points I wasn't sure where it was going but I really enjoyed it overall.

Spacetruckers - A campy sci-fi comedy from the mind of Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, From Beyond). Dennis Hopper takes the leads in this film as he delivers a mysterios shipment to earth. It's got some dodgy early cgi but it is mostly modelwork which holds up well. Featuring a memorable antaganost performance from Charles Dance (Last Action Hero, Game of Thrones). This movie was a ton of fun.

Watched Shin Ultraman. It's pretty mid but for Shinji Higuchi that means its his best work. I find it hard to believe Hideaki Anno storyboarded and edited this. It has the Jissoji-esque compositions he loves but without any of the rhyme or reason you can find in Shiki-Jitsu or Shin Godzilla. It's storytelling feels really scattershot, maybe Higuchi wanted to go all in with the visual playfulness but didn't understand how to best utilize it. My biggest takeaway from this is that the rumors of Anno taking control of Godzilla away from Higuchi and making the guy act as a glorified AD were 100% true.

I rewatched The Lord of the Rings trilogy (theatrical because c'mon, they are just better paced and edited films than the extended versions) with the hype around the new show which I'm enjoying well enough for now.

I mainly just wanted to praise Sean Astin's performance throughout the whole trilogy, but damn if he doesn't absolutely carry Return of the King. It's hard to describe what is so fantastic about the performance. It feels at the beginning of Fellowship so quaint and necessary that ends up becoming the heart of the films. The breadth of emotion and love and despair and hope he conveys in Return of the King floors and captivates me greater than alot of other actors who have been given there due many times over. Sean Astin seems to have conjured up a transformative beauty and simplicity and elegance that recaptures the soul Tolkiens work to its core. The performance is everything I think an author could want from an artist portraying their work. It transcends what the imagination can even get right. He embodied the character from a page and made him real. Phenomenal performance. On the same level as I would imagine the music of the Ainur. He just embodies the most loving and caring of Tolkien's themes and does so in the most earnest and honest ways as it befits Samwise Gamgee of The Shire.

I rewatched The Lord of the Rings trilogy (theatrical because c'mon, they are just better paced and edited films than the extended versions) with the hype around the new show which I'm enjoying well enough for now.

I mainly just wanted to praise Sean Astin's performance throughout the whole trilogy, but damn if he doesn't absolutely carry Return of the King. It's hard to describe what is so fantastic about the performance. It feels at the beginning of Fellowship so quaint and necessary that ends up becoming the heart of the films. The breadth of emotion and love and despair and hope he conveys in Return of the King floors and captivates me greater than alot of other actors who have been given there due many times over. Sean Astin seems to have conjured up a transformative beauty and simplicity and elegance that recaptures the soul Tolkiens work to its core. The performance is everything I think an author could want from an artist portraying their work. It transcends what the imagination can even get right. He embodied the character from a page and made him real. Phenomenal performance. On the same level as I would imagine the music of the Ainur. He just embodies the most loving and caring of Tolkien's themes and does so in the most earnest and honest ways as it befits Samwise Gamgee of The Shire.
I’m an extended cut guy but I could not agree more about Sean Astin. The whole trilogy is beautifully cast but Astin’s performance just breaks your heart with its purity.

Rewatched the first one, a lot of fun. Also did the theatrical cut and my biggest complaint was it was way too long lol. I have nothing against long movies, but I felt Fellowship didn't justify being 3 hours long. An unpopular opinion, but for sure a me thing.

Rewatched the first one, a lot of fun. Also did the theatrical cut and my biggest complaint was it was way too long lol. I have nothing against long movies, but I felt Fellowship didn't justify being 3 hours long. An unpopular opinion, but for sure a me thing.
Not sure if this is still a thing in the age of bluray and streaming but the DVD release of the Extended Editions had breaks in the middle of each movie, which took them from three 3+ hour long marathons into more like a six-episode miniseries. I found them to be much more digestible that way, especially since the placement of the splits were perfect stopping points in the story, and led to one of my favorite cliffhangers ever:

Elrond: Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring.
~music swells~
Pippin: Great! Where are we going?
~cut to black~
Insert Disc 2

Last edited:
Been going through Satoshi Kon’s filmography again. Just rewatched Paprika and it’s hard not to be dazzled by how effortlessly he captures the strangeness and familiarity of dreams. It makes Inception feel so earthbound by comparison.

I’ll never fully get over the loss of him.

I recently rewatched the first Hocus Pocus movie and second/new Hocus Pocus 2 bc spoopy szn!

And I am still flabbergasted at how GREAT he three witch actresses still look after 29 years. Amazing!

I actually really loved the 2nd movie and all its small callbacks and the humor in it as well. Long running cameos etc are my type of thing, but they also leave me weirdly melancholic. Time pls stop. 🥲

But yeah, definitely enjoyed my time with these!

Closing thread for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom