• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Movie Discussion |ST| Whats Your Favorite Acting Turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Scream for the first time with friends. I am the biggest scaredy-cat ever, I HATE horror of almost every kind. With that said, I did enjoy it a lot and I'll probably end up watching the sequels with my friend group and maybe face my fears and go see 5 eventually.

Watched No Time to Die

That was cool. Villain was whatever, but as a movie about James Bond and his evolution through the Craig films is awesome. Think it will be one of favourites in the series
I'm confused by this movie.
I adore Rami Malek but the movie seemed to just kinda sweep him away for most of the runtime, and then when they finally did get to the whole "villain's base" sequence, he got watered down to a "let's kidnap the females" plot. Maybe I'm being too critical? I dunno. I know the the villain wasn't really the point this time around but I think Rami was sorely misused. I do agree that Craig's run has been absolutely legendary, though.

Just got back from Last Night in Soho and loved it. Pretty sure I'm in love with Thomasin McKenzie's voice and Anya Taylor Joy is magnetic. It's not really scary at all though.
I'm trying to get some friends together to see it and I'm afraid they're flaking out. 😅

Also sup yall, I love movies!

Recent films I've watched in the month of October in theaters-

Venom: Let there be Carnage- Tight film at only ~90 minutes. I liked it and holy cow at that post credit screen.

No Time to Die- Currently tied with Skyfall for my second favorite Daniel Craig Bond film. The wait was long but it was worth it.

The Rescue- Even though I knew what happened I was still on the edge of my seat. I didn't follow the story too closely when it initially took place so the amount of details was incredible. It was amazing how close the whole thing could have been a disaster. If you get a chance check this out on demand.

Halloween Kills-Definitely a let down overall. Still, I enjoy me some Michael Myers

Dune- I put a lot of my thoughts in the Dune thread. I will just add here that I'm glad there will be a sequel.

The Last Duel- I went in with low expectations and came out mildly impressed. Getting the same story from three sides was an interesting play. A little too long but it had fantastic acting.

Last Night in Soho- This is the kind of film I want to watch around Halloween. I loved the twists and turns that it took.

The French Dispatch- Saw this last night to wash out the aftertaste of another Bears loss. Definitely got a lot of Grand Budapest Hotel vibes from this one. Definitely worth a watch.

Really outside of Halloween Kills I did not see a bad film this month.

I'm confused by this movie.
I adore Rami Malek but the movie seemed to just kinda sweep him away for most of the runtime, and then when they finally did get to the whole "villain's base" sequence, he got watered down to a "let's kidnap the females" plot. Maybe I'm being too critical? I dunno. I know the the villain wasn't really the point this time around but I think Rami was sorely misused. I do agree that Craig's run has been absolutely legendary, though.

I'm trying to get some friends together to see it and I'm afraid they're flaking out. 😅

Also sup yall, I love movies!
Yea my only issue with No Time to Die was
how they handled Rami Malek's character. For a film that was pushing towards 3 hours, he was barely a blip for the first half or 2/3rds.

Watched Scream for the first time with friends. I am the biggest scaredy-cat ever, I HATE horror of almost every kind. With that said, I did enjoy it a lot and I'll probably end up watching the sequels with my friend group and maybe face my fears and go see 5 eventually.
Oh boy, just you wait.

Scream is one of the most consistent horror franchises in existence. Hopefully you haven’t spoiled the sequels for yourself. Scream 4 in particular is very, very good (considering it’s the 4th film in a horror franchise).

Also for being a film from 2011, Scream 4 was insanely ahead of its time. It’s shocking how prophetic it was.

Last edited:
Okay so I just learned what "kino" is in reference to film so I need to ask, is this thread for movie discussion in general or is it intended more for the microbudget indie stuff?

Quoted by: GJ
Scream is one of my favorite slashers of all time along with Halloween (1978), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Black Christmas. And hey, Scream 2 and 4 are damn good too! Scream 3 is...something, but it's still not terrible.

Gotta say, I have to echo @hologram in my opinion that Halloween Kills is just awful. Absolutely horrible character writing, unintentionally hilarious, and totally devoid of suspense or nuance. The mob mentality angle is one of the most amateurishly expressed themes I've seen in a major feature film in a long while.

Is this also the place to discuss TV? I've finally caught up on some shows and I'm having a blast. I'm on episode 5 of Squid Game, just finished Only Murders in the Building season 1, Invincible season 1, I'm currently watching Succession and Curb Your Enthusiasm live, and recently finished Ted Lasso as well.

Okay so I just learned what "kino" is in reference to film so I need to ask, is this thread for movie discussion in general or is it intended more for the microbudget indie stuff?

Everything! Whatever you like as long as it’s related to film. I don’t think the community is big enough (yet) to split into separate threads (except for Marvel stuff etc) so this is just a general thread.

Scream is one of my favorite slashers of all time along with Halloween (1978), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Black Christmas. And hey, Scream 2 and 4 are damn good too! Scream 3 is...something, but it's still not terrible.

Gotta say, I have to echo @hologram in my opinion that Halloween Kills is just awful. Absolutely horrible character writing, unintentionally hilarious, and totally devoid of suspense or nuance. The mob mentality angle is one of the most amateurishly expressed themes I've seen in a major feature film in a long while.
Scream is an excellent movie, and the second one is also very good. I just watched 3 and 4 for the first time over the weekend (combination of watching the new trailer for 5 and seeing some comments about how "the worst Scream movie is better than the average Halloween movie" after watching Halloween Kills lol) and I thought they were okay, decent even, but pushed the "it's a movie" bit way too hard. To be honest, I don't actually think 4 was better than 3 for that reason - maybe it was a little more novel and had less of "oh gee it's a Scream goes to Hollywood episode!" vibe, but the opening scene with the repeated movie-within-a-movie shtick and the general over-emphasis on the Stab franchise made it a bit annoying-meta rather than funny-meta for me.

Everything! Whatever you like as long as it’s related to film. I don’t think the community is big enough (yet) to split into separate threads (except for Marvel stuff etc) so this is just a general thread.
Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I appreciate and respect the hell out of small films but I live in an area where we have three theaters and they all play the same blockbusters at the same time. And I have a weird hang-up about watching everything on Netflix (it's not the same as a damn theater), so I miss a lot of the smaller movies. I'm kind of a hypocritical film snob. 😅

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. I appreciate and respect the hell out of small films but I live in an area where we have three theaters and they all play the same blockbusters at the same time. And I have a weird hang-up about watching everything on Netflix (it's not the same as a damn theater), so I miss a lot of the smaller movies. I'm kind of a hypocritical film snob. 😅

I’m in the same boat. I live in my provinces capital and we only have one theater. They play blockbusters and awful Dutch romcoms, but the ‘good’ stuff often gets relegated to the smallest screens or they don’t show it at all.

Luckily they still try to get the more unknown stuff for smaller audiences, but it doesn’t always work out. For example they weren’t showing The French Dispatch at first, but I just checked the website and turns out they’ll show it 4 times spread over December. The same happened with Minari, Another Round, The Father, Parasite etc.

They also have a ‘French film day’ coming up. I hope I’ll be able to catch Petite Maman there as I really loved Portrait of a Lady on Fire. But yeah, that’s just one day. If I won’t be able to make it, I’m out of luck 😔. Luckily nowadays films make it to VOD and streaming services much faster, but it’s just not the same as in the theater imo.

Scream is an excellent movie, and the second one is also very good. I just watched 3 and 4 for the first time over the weekend (combination of watching the new trailer for 5 and seeing some comments about how "the worst Scream movie is better than the average Halloween movie" after watching Halloween Kills lol) and I thought they were okay, decent even, but pushed the "it's a movie" bit way too hard. To be honest, I don't actually think 4 was better than 3 for that reason - maybe it was a little more novel and had less of "oh gee it's a Scream goes to Hollywood episode!" vibe, but the opening scene with the repeated movie-within-a-movie shtick and the general over-emphasis on the Stab franchise made it a bit annoying-meta rather than funny-meta for me.
I totally understand that perspective! I think Scream 4 is uneven, but I think its commentary on celebrity has aged very, very well. It is a bit too goofy at points, but I think the killer reveal is very clever and the movie is overall satisfying. Scream 3, to me, is just horror film neutered in the wake of Columbine and has a completely nonsensical villain that damages the franchise's legacy.

I wanna revamp the OP of this thread. Clean it up a bit, make it look a little nicer. What would you like to see? Maybe I should add a section to list Letterboxd profiles?

I totally understand that perspective! I think Scream 4 is uneven, but I think its commentary on celebrity has aged very, very well. It is a bit too goofy at points, but I think the killer reveal is very clever and the movie is overall satisfying. Scream 3, to me, is just horror film neutered in the wake of Columbine and has a completely nonsensical villain that damages the franchise's legacy.
The killer reveals in Scream 4 are top tier (aside from Billy and Stu of course).

Hear me out on this.
The Scream films are incredibly meta and transcend different levels of expectations (character expectations, viewer expectations, franchise expectations). As you said, the killer reveal and motive is insanely clever (and is a nice juxtaposition to the killer reveals in Scream 1). Jill’s motive and rationale is so well done. Her jealousy stemming from living in the shadow of her cousin Syndey’s fame is perhaps not that surprising, however, there’s another layer to the killer reveals here. Consider the actors that are Ghostface this time around. Emma Roberts and Rory Culkin. Two actors who arguably have lived in the shadow of more successful relatives. Julia Roberts is Emma Roberts’ aunt and is one of the most famous actresses of all time. Macaulay Culkin was a massive child star and none of his brothers could ever shake the Culkin image.

The actors playing these killers also embodied the exact issue that Jill had with Sydney. It’s clever meta-casting!

I saw Kaizo Hayashi's To Sleep So As To Dream this afternoon and absolutely loved it. I really liked Hayashi's Maiku Hamma trilogy so I knew I was gonna see something with striking photography but the atmosphere here was on another level. The surreal elements paired so well with the soundtrack. It's a mostly silent film, so the music and sound design really jump out at you. I sorta unraveled the mystery pretty early on but it didn't matter since I loved seeing how each character dealt with it and how it unravels. Perhaps I'm just a crybaby but the movie really got to me, it just has this ethereal beauty at times that others need to see firsthand. I really hope the restored version gets a home video release, it's the type of movie I'd just love to introduce to as many people as possible.

I watched Get Back and I'm so pissed off that it totally rules. Wish they didn't all look like wax, but what can I say, love spending time with the lads.

Been watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series, thought I'd write my impressions of the first three.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
The first half of the movie sets up how the shogun executioner Itto Ogami and his son became wandering warriors of vengence against the evil clan that disgraced them. The second half is a somewhat standard jidaigeki story of Ogami taking an assassintion job against some bandits. Feels like 2 episodes of a tv show edited together. Fun, but a little too talky and slow, only a few moments of true insane violence. 3/5

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
Now that's what I call Dynamic Violence! Pretty much wall to wall blood spray and ninja mayhem. Itto Ogami is the hardest motherfucker of all time in this one. All killer no filler. 5/5

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades
Booooooooring! 😝😝😝😝😝😝
Huge step down from the 2nd film. Super talky, terrible pacing, disjointed plot, gross sexual assault scenes. Great climax can't save this one, but the last 15 minutes manage to get to the chaotic energy the 2nd film mainted for 80 minutes. 2.5/5

Went by the local used bookstore this past weekend and bought 3 blu-rays: Birdman, Cowboys and Aliens, and Hail Ceaser. The first 2 were recommendations by family members and the last is a Coen brothers movie and considering how much I love The Big Lebowski and Burn after Reading I need to see another.

I watched Birdman last night and really like it. It was really funny, the "I look like a turkey with Leukemia" bit had me howling. Really liked the drum based soundtrack and that the drummers actually popped up in the movie. The movie being one continuous shot without cuts was cool. A well acted film, I see why it won an oscar. Considering that Michael Keaton is actually gonna be playing Batman again for really it definitely makes this film hit different than it would have been to have seen this film when it was new. I liked it a lot, recommended.

Saw Morbius tonight. I'll be honest it wasn't the worst film I have seen in a while. It isn't anything super memorable, but it was a decent comic book flick.

Milo was the weak part IMO. His arch was way too predictable. There were also a few too many dancing shots of him for my liking.
I liked that the film was shorter so there was less bloat than what you normally get in these blockbusters. The final battle (mainly the climax) was kind of underwhelming. I called the fake death of the girlfriend a mile away.

The Vulture scenes were nice, but Keaton was in one of the trailers, so it wasn't that surprising. Still, I am curious to see how the bad guys all team up for the eventual sinister six film. Hopefully that is a good payoff.

I felt like we need to get a film thread going.

What did you last watch? What did you think of it? Any recommendations? Feel free to share! And if you're on Letterboxd, feel free to link your profile below.

Please join us over at the Famiboards Bi-Weekly Movies for Maniacs Film Club!.

Also; we definitely need a better title, but it’s 5 in the morning here so I’m sure someone else could come up with something better than me right now 😅.

—————

I just watched The Many Saints of Newark and as a big fan of The Sopranos I really enjoyed it. Of course it’s not as good as the show, but it does a great job in setting up that universe. I thought the trailer I saw a couple months ago looked pretty bland, so I was surprised I liked it this much. Definitely worth watching if you like the show.

3/5

9ed8e56b-2899-46d0-83zjfh.jpeg
Are we still talking about films here?

Why is this called Kino?

Doing some necromancy. Decided to just write about some interesting films I've seen recently.

Victory Through Air Power: Disney was incredibly passionate about making a film to promote a long range bombing strategy for WWII. Probably the strangest Disney film, but also incredibly boring. Somehow I've seen this twice.

Häxan: An early Swedish documentary on the history of witchcraft. Mostly about how witch hunts historically were used to victimize the poor and the sick, and how contemporary mental health care wasn't much better. Filled with great Halloween imagery. Have seen it 4 or 5 times, still great.

The Harder They Come: a Jamaican neorealist crime/reggae drama from the early 70s. Fantastic film, in English but subtitles are recommended. As good a movie about a heroic/tragic outlaw as has ever been, plus one of the best soundtracks ever recorded.

Cure: probably the best 90s horror movie I've ever seen. Just poisonous vibes and a great 90s Japan visual sheen.

Toby Dammit: Fellini likes Rome, crazy colors, and big tiddy honkers.

Walker: a searing indictment of American colonialism in Central America. Mixes anachronistic details and real world footage with a true historic account to show same as it ever was. One of the most subversive films put out by a major studio, and of course critics at the time hated it.

(NO Spoilers follow)
Just want to say Nope was great loved it. Cast was great writing was great and directing great, cinematography was great (since everyone sucks that category's dick everywhere, but actually is in this case as well as being great besides unlike some films where that category is invoked for cinematic greatness like i imagine era just has oled tvs mounted ungainly on walls in every room showcasing nothing but Roger Deakins movies on mute 24 fucking 7), and editing and everything else. It comes together in a unique way that i don't think our culture and society expect and we are prone to just our own up-our-ass-cliched-not-really-our-own-what-will-everyone-else-think-opinions like we're betting to hopefully nail the zeitgeist of where everyone else falls on it, or just as bad go deliberately against the grain.

Constant comparisons of his past work and expectations created in your own head of what the film should have been. Sick of Era's nitpicky negative opinions (since no one posts on here). "Too long," like you value your own time like a goddamn. "Next M. Night Shamylan," cool your the 1 millionth person wrong with that same exact statment. Or any of the other film comparisons such as Close Encounters and Jaws, like no one can articulate anything without resorting to referring to other pop culture bullshit from the past to ultimately cause anyone unfortunate enough to be reading or listening to create their own biases and expectations cultivating in their head before they can see the film for themselves.

Maybe if the criticism was well thought out and presented, but no, it seems to boil down to those complaints as well as baffingly deeming an entire subplot should have been its own film. Like you know fucking anything about creating an original story from nothing. No, thanks for your uninteresting, unthoughtful, idiotic take. But no, get out.

Last edited:
(NO Spoilers follow)
Just want to say Nope was great loved it. Cast was great writing was great and directing great, cinematography was great (since everyone sucks that category's dick everywhere, but actually is in this case as well as being great besides unlike some films where that category is invoked for cinematic greatness like i imagine era just has oled tvs mounted ungainly on walls in every room showcasing nothing but Roger Deakins movies on mute 24 fucking 7), and editing and everything else. It comes together in a unique way that i don't think our culture and society expect and we are prone to just our own up-our-ass-cliched-not-really-our-own-what-will-everyone-else-think-opinions like we're betting to hopefully nail the zeitgeist of where everyone else falls on it, or just as bad go deliberately against the grain. Constant comparisons of his past work and expectations created in your own head of what the film should have been. Sick of Era's nitpicky negative opinions (since no one posts on here). "Too long," like you value your own time like a goddamn. "Next M. Night Shamylan," cool your the 1 millionth person wrong with that same exact statment. Or any of the other film comparisons such as Close Encounters and Jaws, like no one can articulate anything without resorting to referring to other pop culture bullshit from the past to ultimately cause anyone unfortunate enough to be reading or listening to create their own biases and expectations cultivating in their head before they can see the film for themselves. Maybe if the criticism was well thought out and presented, but no, it seems to boil down to those complaints as well as baffingly deeming an entire subplot should have been its own film. Like you know fucking anything about creating an original story from nothing. No, thanks for your uninteresting, unthoughtful, idiotic take. But no, get out.
bro chill

(NO Spoilers follow)
Just want to say Nope was great loved it. Cast was great writing was great and directing great, cinematography was great (since everyone sucks that category's dick everywhere, but actually is in this case as well as being great besides unlike some films where that category is invoked for cinematic greatness like i imagine era just has oled tvs mounted ungainly on walls in every room showcasing nothing but Roger Deakins movies on mute 24 fucking 7), and editing and everything else. It comes together in a unique way that i don't think our culture and society expect and we are prone to just our own up-our-ass-cliched-not-really-our-own-what-will-everyone-else-think-opinions like we're betting to hopefully nail the zeitgeist of where everyone else falls on it, or just as bad go deliberately against the grain. Constant comparisons of his past work and expectations created in your own head of what the film should have been. Sick of Era's nitpicky negative opinions (since no one posts on here). "Too long," like you value your own time like a goddamn. "Next M. Night Shamylan," cool your the 1 millionth person wrong with that same exact statment. Or any of the other film comparisons such as Close Encounters and Jaws, like no one can articulate anything without resorting to referring to other pop culture bullshit from the past to ultimately cause anyone unfortunate enough to be reading or listening to create their own biases and expectations cultivating in their head before they can see the film for themselves. Maybe if the criticism was well thought out and presented, but no, it seems to boil down to those complaints as well as baffingly deeming an entire subplot should have been its own film. Like you know fucking anything about creating an original story from nothing. No, thanks for your uninteresting, unthoughtful, idiotic take. But no, get out.
I dunno if you ended with that phrase on purpose, but bravo. 🤣

(Also I agree, the criticism that just compares to expectations is bleh. And I assume the subplot they didn't like was about the chimp? There's actually a whole point to that which leads to a pivotal scene in the main plot. If they didn't get it that's their bad. I was enthralled from start to finish, what an absolute experience.)

(NO Spoilers follow)
You should start spacing out your paragraphs so more people will read your comments instead of dismissing them. I agree with your take but I amost gave up as soon as I saw the wall of text.

Also Nope was fucking fire. Gonna have nightmares about That One Scene.

I'm happy to learn about this thread! We've been watching a lot of movies this year.

My most recent watch was Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - a bonkers black and white horror comedy from the 60's with stunning performances from Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. The movie inspired me to watch Ryan Murphy's Feud TV series about the two actresses and the making of the movie, which is shining a greater light into such a unique Hollywood anomaly, while also making me feel bad for what must have been a pretty psychologically difficult production.

Just watched Logan for the first time ever after avoiding it due to the bummer of a time the X-Men films became. And bravo. Well done.

The biggest thing for me was the generational aspect between thus surrogate, bizarre family heirarchy. The communication and distrust between them and how bullheaded yet dependent they were upon each other.

They got me with the opening scene too. I thought it was a kids gloves, Logan won't be seen killing anyone. And then the fuck up his limo. Whelp, there's no going back now I guess. And it felt that was where he was supposed to be.

Here again is a popcorn movie that plays only to service the film's story and not go for complete spectactle and focus on two iconic characters and bluntly ask the question who are these guys really when they have lost everything else and just have each other.

Xavier as the sad, remorseful grandfather, possibly losing his control of his own ageing mind, to his surrogate son Logan that has lived longer than any other known mortal, possibly older the Prof X himself, to the biological daughter of Logan, Laura, he had been thusly unaware.

Naturally those two let loose is quite fun to watch. However, the film shines in the smaller moments between these three in whatever context the film decides to present them. Very moving performances by those three all throughout. When i had paused the film halfway through at one point, I was quite happy I had another hour of the film to go. Just to spend more time with these characters I have known from long ago, and knowing it may be the last.

Film was brutal though at parts. Watching an entire family be killed due to them just passing through and helping them. That should have been expected and it was handled pretty well. Heroes all of those characters too. Just as much as Logan or Xavier in the context of the film and moving performances that made sense. Especially heartbreakingly when the last surviving member basically was about to kill Logan but was out of ammo. Logan stood there understanding

I hope to see Laura pop up at some point in the MCU but not sure how that would go since apparently the film takes place 2029 i think.

I hope to see Laura pop up at some point in the MCU but not sure how that would go since apparently the film takes place 2029 i think.
Don't forget, the snappening fast-forwarded the MCU five years. I'm pretty sure they said Ms Marvel takes place in 2025, so it wouldn't take as long as it seems for the canon timeline to catch up to 2029. Plus the Fox X-Men universe isn't part of the main MCU continuity, only way those characters would cross over at this point is multiverse weirdness, which could probably play fast and loose with time anyway.

Finally got to see the Bob’s Burgers movie on Disney plus. Who said traditional 2D animated films are dead at Disney?

If you’re a fan of the show: Awesome! Watch the movie.

If you’re not a fan of the show: Too bad! Probably don’t watch the movie.

Lucky Ducks for best original song at the Oscars or I riot.

Last night I watched a silent film called The Hell-Bound Train. There was a scene where someone died from listening to jazz music. Interesting stuff.

I can't stop thinking about RRR.

Watched the Hindi version on Netflix the other day: I've had the songs on loop since. Naacho Naacho, Komuram Bheemudo, Sholay... Just absolute bangers.

How does a film like this happen? It has more energy than anything from the MCU, it's completely untied from any franchise or pre-existing IP, and somehow makes a more thrilling, incredible blockbuster out of the Indian resistance against British colonialism than any number of blockbusters about alien invasions and super heroes punching each other. I don't want to say it's a perfect film or anything (specifically because my lack of knowledge about Indian cinema means there's probably a whole load of stuff in this film I'm missing), but it's easily the best action film I've seen since Fury Road.

Jaw dropping.

Daniel Radcliffe as Weird Al is one of those perfect castings I never would have considered until it actually happened.
What's great is to see how Radcliffe is a legitimate giddy fan, it's not just stunt casting. And Al cast him because he saw Radcliffe singing a wacky song to completion on Graham Norton while Colin Farrell sat next to him with his face in his hands and said "this kid gets it," and I friggin love that.

Last edited:
Watched Zombie Lake last night. A real Brain Buster. Nazi zombies menace the French country side. Munch on a random girls basketball team. Get flame throwered. Terrifically boring and cheap. Had a good time.
1/5

I can't stop thinking about RRR.

Watched the Hindi version on Netflix the other day: I've had the songs on loop since. Naacho Naacho, Komuram Bheemudo, Sholay... Just absolute bangers.

How does a film like this happen? It has more energy than anything from the MCU, it's completely untied from any franchise or pre-existing IP, and somehow makes a more thrilling, incredible blockbuster out of the Indian resistance against British colonialism than any number of blockbusters about alien invasions and super heroes punching each other. I don't want to say it's a perfect film or anything (specifically because my lack of knowledge about Indian cinema means there's probably a whole load of stuff in this film I'm missing), but it's easily the best action film I've seen since Fury Road.

Jaw dropping.
With 5 years of time and highest budget in all of Indian cinema.

The two main leads, NTR Jr and Ram Charan are one of the highest paid actors in Telegu, the director himself is a well-known superstar of sorts there, even the VFX is done by the guys who were behind Dune.

Indian cinema is BIG rabbit hole to fall down, there's tons of separate industries based on region and language and all that other things that'll take a whole essay to explain.

If I had to recommend some Indian movies, I'd say -Bajrangi Bhaijaan(same writer as RRR), Baahubali1&2(same director as RRR),Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (THE romance film in India), 3 Idiots and of course, Sholay.

I mean there's a whole heap of films and everybody's recommendation will be different from one another but the generally speaking, these films are unanimously beloved and I think people will enjoy them as well.

With 5 years of time and highest budget in all of Indian cinema.

The two main leads, NTR Jr and Ram Charan are one of the highest paid actors in Telegu, the director himself is a well-known superstar of sorts there, even the VFX is done by the guys who were behind Dune.

Indian cinema is BIG rabbit hole to fall down, there's tons of separate industries based on region and language and all that other things that'll take a whole essay to explain.

If I had to recommend some Indian movies, I'd say -Bajrangi Bhaijaan(same writer as RRR), Baahubali1&2(same director as RRR),Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (THE romance film in India), 3 Idiots and of course, Sholay.

I mean there's a whole heap of films and everybody's recommendation will be different from one another but the generally speaking, these films are unanimously beloved and I think people will enjoy them as well.
I second the recommendation of Sholay, legit one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Just saw Bullet Train, and I have to say the Final Fantasy fan in me felt vindicated to see Hiroyuki Sanada take on an entire gun-carrying gang with nothing but a katana. That man is so fuckin cool I can't hardly handle it

Just saw Bullet Train, and I have to say the Final Fantasy fan in me felt vindicated to see Hiroyuki Sanada take on an entire gun-carrying gang with nothing but a katana. That man is so fuckin cool I can't hardly handle it
yeah, there was some neat and stylish action in it. it's not bad like i thought it'd be but i did feel like the writers had no self control. a lot of the quips and flashbacks were overbearing. it has like 3 set pieces which could have been the climax but nah they're just the prelude. the movie also had a lot of the bog-standard orientalism you'd see from like tumblr blogs or gaijin youtubers, (kawaii phones and bidets omg!1!) but that's just a personal nitpick. i think if the movie was cut down to a slim 90 minutes or so it could have been pretty good, but i still had fun with it.

yeah, there was some neat and stylish action in it. it's not bad like i thought it'd be but i did feel like the writers had no self control. a lot of the quips and flashbacks were overbearing. it has like 3 set pieces which could have been the climax but nah they're just the prelude. the movie also had a lot of the bog-standard orientalism you'd see from like tumblr blogs or gaijin youtubers, (kawaii phones and bidets omg!1!) but that's just a personal nitpick. i think if the movie was cut down to a slim 90 minutes or so it could have been pretty good, but i still had fun with it.
I am hoping at some point the orientalism in asia-set movies gets toned down because yeah, while it was kinda goofy fun to see Brad Pitt react to all that, it still feels like a tween american otaku wrote those parts. And the multiple-ending-setpieces thing I agree with as well. Like, I was down for basically all of the crazy action at the end until the trainwreck. That just took a little too much suspension of disbelief for me. Took a tight, personal, character-focused action comedy and tried to go MCU with it all of a sudden. 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom