• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Monster Hunter Rise surpasses 7.5 million copies on Switch as of September 24th 2021

Ozzie

Chain Chomp

Pretty damn impressive for 1 platform only. With the PC release, it will no doubt surpass 10 million easily.

Congrats to the team, a fantastic game that definitely deserves the success. Pretty excited for Sunbreak's release.

Fantastic result, though it has slowed over the summer. First Christmas sales season ahead of it, though, and Sunbreak next summer will give it another boost. Still my game of the year, though Metroid Dread may have something to say about that.

Well deserved! MH Rise is absolutely awesome and I can't really imagine another game being my goty right now (Dread looms). I struggled with the controls on the 3ds entries but went in hard on World, and Rise has just raised the bar.

My GotY. Capcom really knocked it out of the park with this one. It’s my most favorite MonHun.

Whoop. The Monster Hunter virus is really getting people. Would be great we get a certain virus again in Sunbreak as well ;D.

But all in all great numbers. I yesterday started it up again and really enjoyed it. I definitely double dip if I can take over my saves to the PC version. Including the additional content I bought.

Not much since last time, but good to have an update before it releases on PC in a few months.

very impressive, probably gonna get to 8M before the PC launch.
Even more might be possible considering how strong Holiday season is usually for Nintendo in terms of hw sales and for Capcom in terms of sales promotion.

Gonna be interesting to see what they are charging for it during Black Friday.

Either way it's a well deserved success already, love to see it.

Amazing success, even more if you take into account that those would all have been full price sales. It will likely be quite close to 10m when all is said and done when you take into account Capcoms history of great catalogue sales and deep digital discounts for their titles. No doubt this will end up their 2nd best selling game with PC sales and the expansion next Summer.

Good chance that Rise on Switch will end up as the best selling SKU for a MH game(and possibly Capcom overall?).

Amazing game, deserves all the sales.

IIRC was MHW the first Capcom game to breakthrough 10M sales without rereleases?

This would easily be my current GOTY if not for The Great Ace Attorney, so props to Capcom in 2021.

Happy to see this game do well. I tried getting into Monster Hunter many times, but this was the one that finally made it click for me.
I'm still trying and I'm not getting it

So I gotta keep trying haha

This is goodness though

Never been a fan of Monster Hunter but its good to see it do well. BTW anyone else confused by the statement Capcom made by saying they will focus in PC? I have a gut feeling its a bad move.

Never been a fan of Monster Hunter but its good to see it do well. BTW anyone else confused by the statement Capcom made by saying they will focus in PC? I have a gut feeling its a bad move.
I don't think Tsujimoto meant to imply that they'll be "focusing" on PC, so much as it will become a core tentpole of their development strategy alongside consoles. Tokyo Game Show centered on the PC release of MHR, so that likely guided the messaging they wanted to focus on at this time. He said that PC is a fast growing market and we can expect more of their big games to be cross console/PC releases like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil in the future.

Definitely feels like it slowed down since the Spring but that's still a great number. I wonder what it'll end up at before the PC version launches. Holiday discounts might give it a sizable boost.

Should reach 8 million prior to the PC launch and then easily pass 10 million combined.

Happy to see this game do well. I tried getting into Monster Hunter many times, but this was the one that finally made it click for me.
Still haven’t been able to. The series just isn’t for me and that’s okay. Glad it’s selling well though.

Not a Monster Hunter guy but I'm really happy that Rise did well on the Switch!

Remember all the posts saying MH Switch would never sell but alas
I imagine Capcom is very very happy

Lovely to hear and it seems pretty well deserved! I enjoy the Monster Hunter series overall, but my motivation for the individual titles tends to ebb and flow and I had bounced pretty hard off of World on Steam. With that in mind, I had some reservations jumping on Rise at launch but ended up being surprised at how much more I enjoyed it overall. A number of friends had shared a similar sentiment, so there does seem to be a certain aspect to Rise that is appealing to certain lapsed and/or casual fans.

Impressive number, but it does seems the sales have slowed down a lot. Would love to have a comparison with PS4 MHW sales trajectory, but we dont have that data. With sales & expansion, I still think MHR can reach 10 million on switch alone.

Didn't realize PC port was finally announced. Does it have cross saves/crossplay available? I'm hoping yes because that could also convince me to double dip

Didn't realize PC port was finally announced. Does it have cross saves/crossplay available? I'm hoping yes because that could also convince me to double dip
No official confirmation as of yet, but several of the features were deliberately named in a survey posted after TGS. I would say it is safe to assume that they are aware of the interest at the very least.

Impressive number, but it does seems the sales have slowed down a lot. Would love to have a comparison with PS4 MHW sales trajectory, but we dont have that data. With sales & expansion, I still think MHR can reach 10 million on switch alone.
We didn't have that detailed of a break down at that point but whilst MH Rise launched 1 million lower than World(4m vs 5m), it is now 800k lower than World(7.5m vs 8.3m) which means Rise has had slightly better legs.

As of that data theft from Capcom the PS4 had sold ~8.7m which means Rise Switch will likely end up outselling it.

Remember all the posts saying MH Switch would never sell but alas
I imagine Capcom is very very happy
Yeah, it's sadly been a thing on both sides, too. First with World, then Rise. I really dislike how the franchise has constantly been used as console war ammo. :/

Yeah, it's sadly been a thing on both sides, too. First with World, then Rise. I really dislike how the franchise has constantly been used as console war ammo. :/
The MH franchise was often food for console warriors in the past, and will continue to be so unfortunately.

But based on available data at the time (past MH games behavior), there were some compelling reasons to expect MHW to underperform - though admittedly there were some people that took it to illogical extremes. MHW success was not some obvious thing, Capcom did take a serious gamble mitigated by a Sony safety net (while disregarding the series history), and it paid off.

So I really dislike this equation I often see these days "people who said a MH Switch game will be a waste of resources or fail might have been mostly console warriors but so were people who expected MHW to underperform". I can't speak for other places, but at least on Era, especially the sales threads, the latter were mostly people arriving at a logical conclusion (with as I said some exceptions) while the former were mostly people applying console warrior logic while ignoring available data.

I am happy both ended up being wrong.

Last edited:
Good chance that Rise on Switch will end up as the best selling SKU for a MH game(and possibly Capcom overall?).
It possible but only if get the Iceborn treatment (Expansion included re-release for Triple Dip Baby), but even then it has an uphill battle
1 Console + PC 1 version

vs
2 Consoles + PC 2 Versions (Vanilla and Iceborn)

I dont get the "it seems like sales have slowed down" post - of course they have considering how big the initial launch period shipments were, not realistic for it to keep up with that insane pace. It already sold more than many were listing at its potential lifetime sales on Switch back then, so sales slowing down pre Holidays, pre Steam release and more aggressive price drops make sense. The fans showed up very early and knew what they were in for.

Selling this amount of copies timeframe is very impressive in a market were they are also competing with MHW+IB being available on other systems for very cheap if not free via sub services.

Or maybe my expectations are just off. Reminds me a bit of people not being happy with ACNH legs in Japan when the game already sold nearly 10m copies - i mean yeah of course its gonna slow down much faster than other games considering its early pace xD

I think folks underestimate how much mhw sales happened post price cuts , expansion release , pc release etc . 7.5m is an impressive number before any of those equivalents occurring and on a single console. There’s a lot of room for sales growth here.

I think folks underestimate how much mhw sales happened post price cuts , expansion release , pc release etc . 7.5m is an impressive number before any of those equivalents occurring and on a single console. There’s a lot of room for sales growth here.
Yeah, thats true for pretty much every big Capcom release.

As of March 31st, 2021 it had sold 17.1 Million

Iceborn sold 7.7 Million
to add to this, MHW numbers are copies of base MHW sold + copies of MHW+IB sold
iceborne numbers are iceborne expansion DLC for MHW + copies of MHW+IB sold

i assume they'll report numbers for sunbreak in a similar way

to add to this, MHW numbers are copies of base MHW sold + copies of MHW+IB sold
iceborne numbers are iceborne expansion DLC for MHW + copies of MHW+IB sold

i assume they'll report numbers for sunbreak in a similar way
I did not know that! So it kinda makes it feel like it sold more when you look at them separately

Capcom reporting has been weird for a few recent games yeah, whereas plenty of games aren't combined at all (hence why some people say RE7 sold the best when it didn't).

Back
Top Bottom