• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

I often cart to the rotating pillars. Should just start farcasting out. Didn't have a lot of trouble with that on HR Narwa but if I recall correctly you can just run to the center for that one.
I also survived on the MR one with running to the Center. But it is much safer to use the farcaster yes :p

Here's my Hunter cosplay attempt of Ace Commander/Julius from Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.
I can't quite get the right chest piece, but this one will do for now!

b8de6d3c736862972a50d1e89b3ab87897bdb5c0.jpg

330 attack 60 element 15% affinity
Or
330 attack no element 100% affinity

Is one clearly better than the other?
I'm not very savvy about affinity
Depends on the weapon (and monster you're fighting with element), affinity is just a word they use for crit in MH. Do you have 100% affinity on your character sheet or are you already adding up weakness exploit?

If you don't care too much about min maxing I'd stick to 100% affinity with high attack for most weapons, but there's some exceptions like dual blades where element is a really significant boost.

Last edited:
Or

I'm not very savvy about affinity
100% affinity is likely the better all-purpose weapon, unless the target is weak to the element, in which case the 60 element one might be. Not sure of the exact maths without sitting down and working it out, but I’d always go for the 100% affinity as a default as I don’t always remember to swap weapons and armour (in case it’s resistances matter) between targets. I generally see elemental stuff as a cool bonus due to how it’s effectiveness can vary from target to target. If I’m settling in to farm a monster several times for parts though, that’s when I’ll tailor an elemental weapon and armour resistances against it.

Or

Critical hits deal 25% extra damage (raw only, no elemental). So at 100% upkeep, 300 raw attack effectively becomes 412. I'm not extremely savvy about damage calculations either, and they get complicated and scenario-dependent, but with a comparison this lopsided the elemental option would have to hit a very, very, very, very juicy hit zone on an ultra-weak monster to come even close to performing as well as the raw weapon.

One thing, though, since armor budget is limited, it's usually not worth pumping affinity up to max before investing in alternative damage skills like Critical Boost or Attack Boost.

Depends on the weapon (and monster you're fighting with element), affinity is just a word they use for crit in MH. Do you have 100% affinity on your character sheet or are you already adding up weakness exploit?

If you don't care too much about min maxing I'd stick to 100% affinity with high attack for most weapons, but there's some exceptions like dual blades where element is a really significant boost.
100% affinity is likely the better all-purpose weapon, unless the target is weak to the element, in which case the 60 element one might be. Not sure of the exact maths without sitting down and working it out, but I’d always go for the 100% affinity as a default as I don’t always remember to swap weapons and armour (in case it’s resistances matter) between targets. I generally see elemental stuff as a cool bonus due to how it’s effectiveness can vary from target to target. If I’m settling in to farm a monster several times for parts though, that’s when I’ll tailor an elemental weapon and armour resistances against it.
Critical hits deal 25% extra damage (raw only, no elemental). So at 100% upkeep, 300 raw attack effectively becomes 412. I'm not extremely savvy about damage calculations either, and they get complicated and scenario-dependent, but with a comparison this lopsided the elemental option would have to hit a very, very, very, very juicy hit zone on an ultra-weak monster to come even close to performing as well as the raw weapon.

One thing, though, since armor budget is limited, it's usually not worth pumping affinity up to max before investing in alternative damage skills like Critical Boost or Attack Boost.
Thank you all! I think I will start using my 100% afinity weapon more often than not now. Though there is the parts farming element as well I guess, and severing specific parts would work better with elemental (?) Or is that incorrect?

The 100% affinity is a "natural" one, without decorations - I took it for granted everyone had the ability to craft such a weapon so didn't bother saying what I have, sorry... The weapon is the SnS Ninja Master Sword, natural attack is "only" 300 but I Qurio-augmented it to 310 and something in my latest armor (from just a game hour ago, Golden Lune) turned it to 330... (or maybe it was something in my decorations).

The monster is in most cases weakest to the element in whatever weapon I have since I almost always spent time until now (whenever the monster was known in advance, which was always the case until recently) to pick the "right" weapon and armor combination for each job.

Thank you all! I think I will start using my 100% afinity weapon more often than not now. Though there is the parts farming element as well I guess, and severing specific parts would work better with elemental (?) Or is that incorrect?

The 100% affinity is a "natural" one, without decorations - I took it for granted everyone had the ability to craft such a weapon so didn't bother saying what I have, sorry... The weapon is the SnS Ninja Master Sword, natural attack is "only" 300 but I Qurio-augmented it to 310 and something in my latest armor (from just a game hour ago, Golden Lune) turned it to 330... (or maybe it was something in my decorations).

The monster is in most cases weakest to the element since I almost always spent time until now (whenever the monster was known in advance, which was always the case until recently) to pick the "right" weapon and armor combination for each job.
Element indirectly helps with severing parts if it makes you do more damage because you'll hit the hp treshold for a break faster, but that'd mean your set would need to be build in such a way for element to more damage than just increasing the raw atk value. This is easily doable on SnS because element is quite good on it but it does require specific builds.

The Ninja Master Sword 100%'s natural affinity is unique and most weapons don't have an option like that, if you're using it you'd want to forgo any skills that increases affinity and primarily just focus on things that increase attack like Attack Boost (obviously), Critical Boost, Mind's Eye to help with the bouncing because of the blue sharpness and whatever else increases raw, there's things like Mail of Hellfire or the new Lucent Nargacuga skill Adrenaline Rush which gives you 30 attack when you manually evade an attack for example.

If you want some inspiration for SnS builds I'd check out Zen's channel:

All his guide videos have English subtitles and there's a lot of stuff to be learned there. Most importantly the builds he makes are usually practical instead of focusing entirely on highest on paper dps.

Thankfully there's a lot of room for customization in Sunbreak so it's hard to really go wrong with a bad set.

Last edited:
Building sets for each of the elements and status effects has been an integral part of my Lance experience in all Monster Hunter games so far, base Rise included, but I can't see myself doing it in Sunbreak. The raw Lance from the final boss is way too good. And the prospect of always chasing the next Qurio crafting roll that unlocks an even more optimal set is treadmill enough so I won't have time to think about doing the same for six or seven other load-outs.

Mind's Eye to help with the bouncing because of the blue sharpness

Just wanted to highlight this part especially, because it shouldn't get lost. Sharpness matters a lot and absolutely needs to be taken into account, on the same level as or even above Raw and Affinity, in comparisons between two weapons.

The expansion has been out for less than two months, and has now sold to around 40% of Rise owners.
(For comparison, Iceborne sold to around half of World owners)

Last edited:
It already burns, poisons and paralyzes you. What more can they tack onto it

Eagerly awaiting garangolm variant with four elements, one for each limb

Even more fire/blast, goddamn

Thank god for layered weapons though
I am excited for the new monsters but I’m beyond tired of fire/blast monsters. Can we please start getting sub specials that are thunder/ice/dragon/poison element? I’m almost surprised Risen Chameleos doesn’t shoot fire instead of poison.

I was really hoping for some actual new or returning monsters rather than subspecies/variants. The ones they revealed are cool and everything, but nothing beats learning an entirely new monster with Rise/Sunbreak’s mechanics.

Even more fire/blast, goddamn
I am excited for the new monsters but I’m beyond tired of fire/blast monsters. Can we please start getting sub specials that are thunder/ice/dragon/poison element? I’m almost surprised Risen Chameleos doesn’t shoot fire instead of poison.
I heard that there’s a lot of fire because the theme is “Sunbreak”, like how in Iceborne there was a lot of ice monsters

I heard that there’s a lot of fire because the theme is “Sunbreak”, like how in Iceborne there was a lot of ice monsters
That was because World had only 2 ice monsters: Legiana and Kushala Daora. Rise already had Magnamalo, Anjanath, Rathalos, Rakna Kadaki, Teoastra, and Bazelgeuse for Fire/Blast monsters.

Finally got back to this now that I've finished Xenoblade 3.
I was rusty at first after 2 months away and carted once to vanilla Espinas, but I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of it now.
Beat Shagaru Magala and Master Rank Chameleos last night, and crafted the Gore Magala sword so that I have a MR Dragon element SnS. It looks so badass.

Now that it's been a few months, I still feel that Citadel and Jungle are the best maps in the game, though I don't think any of them are less than good.

I'm both excited for and dreading the final boss, and I have miraculously managed to dodge spoiling it. (Except the name) I struggled with Allmother Narwa in High Rank, but I've done fine Master Rank so far so I hope I'm able to finish it.

So any surprise monsters in the latest update?
Nah, all 3 new additions are good fights though so I'm content considering the pace we're getting these at. Do hope they'll add returning/new monsters instead of variants eventually though.

Finally reached the final boss (will fight him tomorrow) and that second last mission with all the dead monsters and the ominous music was freaking awesome. Great way to build up a sense of impending climax.

I revisited High Rank to chill out for a bit, and it really made me realize how much better I have gotten at the game thanks to Sunbreak; after becoming accustomed to Master Rank, HR monsters feel so slow and their openings so long.
That appreciation of how far I've come was incredily gratifying because it wasn't just a question of my gear being loads better, although it is, but also really feeling myself improve over time.

Currently made myself the goal to get all Insect Glaive weapons, so i stopped doing the progression and have been farming monsters ... especially the HR Elder Dragons who i kinda ignored cause i was burned out.

I am so sick of farming for one specific drop while drowning in the others for them. Really.

Happily hunting anomalies at rank 110 now. Ran into an Espinas that wasn’t taking any shit and wiped out my party in seconds :D To be fair we did wake it up…

Happily hunting anomalies at rank 110 now. Ran into an Espinas that wasn’t taking any shit and wiped out my party in seconds :D To be fair we did wake it up…
Crossed into 111 anomalies myself. Got tired of the grind and moved over to follower quests. I like the banter between the followers a lot, although I find Ibushi (the ninja trainer guy) preachy a/f lol

Currently made myself the goal to get all Insect Glaive weapons, so i stopped doing the progression and have been farming monsters ... especially the HR Elder Dragons who i kinda ignored cause i was burned out.

I am so sick of farming for one specific drop while drowning in the others for them. Really.
The scientist guy sells rare items for a very high price of afflicted coins

Crossed into 111 anomalies myself. Got tired of the grind and moved over to follower quests. I like the banter between the followers a lot, although I find Ibushi (the ninja trainer guy) preachy a/f lol
Follower quests are one of my favourite bits of Sunbreak! They round out the supporting cast a bit and some of them have great interaction with each other too. It adds a lot to the single player options, to be able to head out with hunters rather than just your animal assistants.

I am planning to learn a new weapon soon. I notice that I just blast through content with Hunting Horn as I have been playing this for way too long now. I am going back to weapons I used to play in other entrees of MH.

So Lance, Dual Blades, Insect Glaive and Switch Axe are on the menu :).

I'm not at that point, i'm basically only doing max. 2-3 hunts per week and are still in the beginning part of Sunbreak.
2-3 hunts per week eh?..man you have some patience. I’m grinding through that easily on a work night. Quadruple that on the weekends 😅

I am planning to learn a new weapon soon. I notice that I just blast through content with Hunting Horn as I have been playing this for way too long now. I am going back to weapons I used to play in other entrees of MH.

So Lance, Dual Blades, Insect Glaive and Switch Axe are on the menu :).
Dual blades are nuts in this. DPS through the roof!

Just beat the final boss, on my first try actually, as I got matched with 3 pro players who had clearly done it many times before and knew exactly what they were doing. I got the gem/mantle equivalent first try as well. It was an epic fight and a fitting finale.

On the whole, fantastic expansion.
Monster Hunter Rise was my GOTY of 2021, and Sunbreak retains everything that made it great while kicking things up a notch with great new monsters and maps, a stiff but fair challenge, and meaningful gameplay improvements.

Hard games have a tendency to make me feel frustrated and unhappy, but here even when I got my arse kicked, I kept coming back for more, as always felt like I could get there if I tried again, and eventually I always did.

There's still nothing else quite like that moment when a beast ten times your size finally goes down after a long fight, or you get that last piece of material you needed and craft that weapon or armor set you've been working towards for ages. Rise absolutely nails that sense of well earned payoff, and Sunbreak makes it feel even better as you have to work that much harder for each victory.

This is easily one of the best expansions I've ever played, and in combination with the base game, its one of the finest experiences to be had on the Switch.

in my opinion, the three new monsters this update are some of the best Capcom have ever done. Risen Cham is also terrifying.

I’ve started using the Flaming Espinas lance, that’s a fun weapon. Fire and poison, and with a nice rank 4 deco slot too. Dropped in a Handicraft 4 jewel. Solid piece of kit. A bit less raw damage than my regular Dawnpiercer lance but after tinkering with Qurious Crafting too it’s now got a large block of purple sharpness instead.

Got to love an event quest which gives you both a small and large gold crown in a single hunt for a monster you were dreading farming :) I think I have about 8-9 crowns left to get.

i'm not too familiar with Capcom's in game purchasing schemes, but is there a chance down the road that the purchased dlc |(layered armours, layered weapons and such) will become free? Or will i have to wait for an eventual Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Ultimate re release. I want some of the purchased items bad but feel dirty spending money on customizables. Shame my favourite monster hunter game has to have such a thing.

So only a week to wait.
That’s a pretty cool list of features!
Up to 200 for Anomaly research is a big leap.
Chaotic Gore Magala is always a cool fight but I’m just bored of Daora and Teostra at this point.
Some cool new equipment options sounds fun.
Taking companions on single player anomaly quests is the highlight for me, I love the follower quests!

I love Sunbreak and it’s still my GOTY but these updates are just not it. 3 monsters, 2 of which fight the exact same way as their base form for 75% of the fight, and another reskin in Chaotic Gore Magala. I miss Iceborn updates where we could get completely new monsters that weren’t reskins like Rajang, Safiijiva, Alatreon, and Fatalis. At least the quest rewards from events seem improved in this update, but I still wish some gave new weapons like the ones in World and Iceborne. Does anyone care about new gestures or titles?

Lines up with the rough predictions people had based on the datamine. I like Chaotic Gore but some fresh content would go a long way by now.

i'm not too familiar with Capcom's in game purchasing schemes, but is there a chance down the road that the purchased dlc |(layered armours, layered weapons and such) will become free? Or will i have to wait for an eventual Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak Ultimate re release. I want some of the purchased items bad but feel dirty spending money on customizables. Shame my favourite monster hunter game has to have such a thing.
I wouldn't expect either of those things. Sorry I know this is really late lol but saw that no one responded to you

Can’t say I care for any of the DLC but I was really hoping we’d see the admiral wielding a cuddly toy at the end

Back
Top Bottom