• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

Every time I play hammer in Rise I'm reminded just how much I hate silkbinds and wirebugs again and then I go back to begrudingly playing dual blades exclusively.
Why? Impact crater makes me feel like a beast, and being able to do the beyblade spin on command is a blessing. It was such a rare treat in World when you were fighting on a slope. Hammer is able to fight aerial monsters for a change

I beat the final boss of Sunbreak with literally 55 seconds left on the timer.
I like the spectacle but it's a pain as LBG user in my opinion.

Crafted the Royal Order Sword, Bow, and Lance, all look great and the defence boost is a boon to my clumsy arse when I inevitably get clobbered haha.
Hunting with Minoto and Hinoa was awesome, they're just as fun and likeable as hunting buddies as they were as quest givers. Still can't decide which I like more though. XD

As far as new characters I think my favourite has gotta be Minayle, the new blacksmith. Love her enthusiasm and can-do attitude. Also, does Dame Fiorayne remind anyone else of Bayonetta, circa Bayo 2?

Also just unlocked the 4-star switch and silkbind skills and cannot wait to try them out. Tonight I'll be taking on Astalos; I skipped Generations so I never fought him before, but he looks super cool in the trailers. Bring it on!

Crafted the Royal Order Sword, Bow, and Lance, all look great and the defence boost is a boon to my clumsy arse when I inevitably get clobbered haha.
Yeah I really like the royal order weapons. I finally crafted one to get away from the nargacuga hammer. Nice defense boost, good slots, super comfy level of sharpness, and still maxing out affinity with skills. As a bonus, matches my new Mighty Thor layered armor set

Hunting with Minoto and Hinoa was awesome, they're just as fun and likeable as hunting buddies as they were as quest givers. Still can't decide which I like more though. XD
why-not-both-why-not.gif

Seriously, I've been bringing them both to every support quest I do, equipped with hunting horn. Constant buffs and heals, so good

I know everyone’s at Sunbreak but me I’m just glad I finally got past the first Rampage mission. Just had to read up and learn some basic concepts (like what the Counter Gong even does). Now I can be at peace and hunt in the wild again.

Final boss done, first hunt, solo, 0 carts, time 27" 14' 40. Pretty happy with myself considering how many days it took be to beat Ceadeus in 3U LOOOOL

Pretty nice hunt, honestly. Wish it was a little more siege like, but I'm happy with it regardless. Bring on the end game!

Final boss done, first hunt, solo, 0 carts, time 27" 14' 40. Pretty happy with myself considering how many days it took be to beat Ceadeus in 3U LOOOOL

Pretty nice hunt, honestly. Wish it was a little more siege like, but I'm happy with it regardless. Bring on the end game!
Nice one! Yeah I quite liked the battle, it was pretty simple. I struggled more with Gog in MH4 and Ceadeus in Tri, but that was more about understanding what I needed to do in the set piece battle. Same goes for Jhen Moran- I remember the community as a whole learning how to do the ship battle as there were so many new players on Wii.

Reunited in battle with my old friend Gore Magala after all these years; Monster Hunter 4 was my last MH before Rise. They did him absolutely glorious justice for his debut in the current generation.

Espinas was a great fight too, as was Astalos, Pyre Rakna-Kadaki, not a single dud so far among the newcomers.

Also, it might just be me, but I feel like the cutscenes are a step up over the base game, mostly in terms of direction, in both the monster introductions and the story sequences.

Oh, one of the most underrated of this game's many qualities? The incredible animation. The way every monster moves in such a lifelike way is just so well done, they really do feel weighty and alive in a way that most games can only dream of.

Oh, one of the most underrated of this game's many qualities? The incredible animation. The way every monster moves in such a lifelike way is just so well done, they really do feel weighty and alive in a way that most games can only dream of.
The animation is freaking amazing, I agree. The monsters really feel like creatures living in the wild. I'll see Arzuros helping itself to some honey or Barroth playing in the shallow ponds, and I get hit by the slightest bit of hesitance. But gotta hunt these wonderful beasts to get those mats.

The animation is freaking amazing, I agree. The monsters really feel like creatures living in the wild. I'll see Arzuros helping itself to some honey or Barroth playing in the shallow ponds, and I get hit by the slightest bit of hesitance. But gotta hunt these wonderful beasts to get those mats.
I like to get to high-up places and just watch the monsters on expeditions sometimes. Royal Ludroth having a shower to refresh it’s sponge ruff in the waterfall in flooded forest is a cool one.

I sincerely hope this is at least somewhat deterministic and not straight up gacha armor rolling, either way hunters are gonna be real powerful in this game at the end.

Last edited:
I like to get to high-up places and just watch the monsters on expeditions sometimes. Royal Ludroth having a shower to refresh it’s sponge ruff in the waterfall in flooded forest is a cool one.

I've turned off the map, so this is how I search out and find monsters to hunt.

Preview of the Lucent Nargacuga fight coming in TU1. They supposedly showed it at SDCC but they decided to upload a high quality version after the fact.

Edit: TU1 will only require you to be MR10 to access the new content, so just beat the game and some quests afterward.

Last edited:
Beat Malzeno; very cool fight, especially love his OST.
Now harvesting him for his armor, to replace my Lunagaron set which was getting a little outdated.
Also phew, huge relief that we only need to reach MR10 to access the Update monsters, I was worried they'd make us grind to like 100.

Also, my little brother made this:

wY3wEK8.jpeg

(Seriously though what's up with this, never had a problem with it in 125 hours of play, but the last three quests I joined people had plundered the chest instead of leaving my share. Selfish gits)

I've already fought the MR100 monster (hosted by someone else; I myself am "only" MR89) so at this point I'm just cleaning out my quest list. Finished the follower and support quests, except I only have a blue checkmark on support 6*. Maybe you unlock a secret one from completing all the hub quests

I've already fought the MR100 monster (hosted by someone else; I myself am "only" MR89) so at this point I'm just cleaning out my quest list. Finished the follower and support quests, except I only have a blue checkmark on support 6*. Maybe you unlock a secret one from completing all the hub quests
Yeah keep working through the hub quests and it’ll unlock. I quite liked the last couple of follower/support quests :)

I’ve cleared all the hub, follower and support survey quests now, so I’m mostly just fighting random anomalys to round out my rank 10 weapon options. Very much enjoying it still but can’t wait for the update next month, Lucent Nargacuga looks like a great fight.

so I've been a SwAxe user all my life, but have just stuck to the basics - I've just had invincible gambit and soaring wyvern blade with the charger on both scrolls.

Been looking more into combos and discovered the elemental burst counter switch skill, which seems lit AF, so I'm trying to go with Wyvery blade and counter on one scroll, and gambit and charger on the second, but I just can never counter correctly. I can do it perfectly in the trainer arena, but not on quests. Anyone got any tips on good monsters to start it on, or any good video tutorials?

so I've been a SwAxe user all my life, but have just stuck to the basics - I've just had invincible gambit and soaring wyvern blade with the charger on both scrolls.

Been looking more into combos and discovered the elemental burst counter switch skill, which seems lit AF, so I'm trying to go with Wyvery blade and counter on one scroll, and gambit and charger on the second, but I just can never counter correctly. I can do it perfectly in the trainer arena, but not on quests. Anyone got any tips on good monsters to start it on, or any good video tutorials?
My training dummy monster of choice is always Rathian, super predictable with long wind ups to practice on.

I got my timing Honed using espinas, and his constant charge turn around charge again repeat move. I don't suggest that for normal people lol.

The switch axe counter is a lot more complicated and demanding than any of the other counters.

The first and obvious difference is move start time. Other weapons, it's more or less instant compared to this one, this is not a reactive counter, where you see a monster start an attack animation that's going to hit you and you bring up your counter. There are not very many monster moves slow enough for that to work for the swax counter. Like everything else on the swax, this is very much pro active. You have to keep control of the rythm and pace of the battle, your sense and knowledge of the monster and use it when you think the monster will be attacking soon.

It takes more than just being ready in time. Other counters you get ready in time and the monster does the rest of the work for you. The monster attacks you, if it hits you with it's attack you auto launch the counter attack.

Not how it works with swax. It's not a counter attack, it's an attacking counter. With swax, you have to attack, and hit, the monsters attacking hitbox, to activate the counter. That means you must have your orientation, distance, and timing correct, to hit the attacking hit box area. Which means you need to adjust the counter for each monster, which is why you can pull it off with the toadversary, but doing the same thing on another monster doesn't yield the same exact results.

Fortunately your own attacking hit box is a bit generous, but yeah, it requires a lot more from the player than the other counters in the game.

This summer for the switch is crazy:
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Mario kart DLC
  • Mario Strikers DLC

and the Sunbreak with a tonne of content and continous updates....where will i find the time !

I have so many games to play but I can’t stop killing the same monsters over and over, when will my slug brain move on?

Title Update 1 video + update notes

Pretty beefy update, all things considered. Forlorn Arena is back, Lucent Nargacuga returns for the first time in almost 10 years, and has a few Frontier-style moves from "Blinking Nargacuga" that some experts spied. Silver Rathalos, Gold Rathian and Seething Bazelgeuse are here, and have a few more upgrades/new moves compared to their World versions. New paid DLC for those who want them (like layered armor and voice pack that makes you look like Fiorayne).

But perhaps the most meaty part of this update is the Afflicted Quests and Afflicted Investigations. The latter of which is more akin to 4U's Guild Quests than the Investigations from Worldborne.

Click for more, of course!

I was surprised by the Investigations announcement. It really is Guild Quests, but without the 4U Investigations to unlock and share quests. I wonder if they'll do relics again.

Intrigued by investigations and the random nature, seems like something that could be really fun and hold my interest for a long time.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate's expeditions, guild quests and relics is what I wanted for Rise's end-game since I never had the time or ability to dive deep into those systems in MH4U, and Anomaly Investigations and Qurious Crafting seem like direct off-shoots of those so I'm very happy.

Weekly event quests is also the post-launch support I'm used to from the 3DS games. All in all, I got what I wanted and SunRise is finally bringing the beef.

This is such an amazing update. Not even close to finished with the main story of Sunbreak, but I'm really happy to see that this game will have me covered for months to come.

I was surprised by the Investigations announcement. It really is Guild Quests, but without the 4U Investigations to unlock and share quests. I wonder if they'll do relics again.

Right now, part of me expects something to the tune of Safi and/or Kulve: a "Biiiiiiig Monster" that brings with it randomized gear.

Since we still don't have any real replacement for Rampage gear, or just layering for weapons, in general? I can't help but think they're holding on to that until we get to a point where Layering for Weapons really would be a necessary feature so that we aren't all just using/seeing the same type of equipment everywhere. Right now, at least with this upgrade, we're not to that point yet, since now the new meta is how we can pretty much make any weapon/playstyle competitive...so long as you're willing to grind for it~!

I'm still playing Xenoblade and Splatoon 3 comes out in 4 weeks...I need more time 😭

This update honestly looks insane in terms of content. There's so much to do.

I feel like I'm being torn in half, I wanna play this so bad, but at the same time I am hooked on Xenoblade 3.
Switch's 2022 be like

3ugrdp.png

I'm at the opposite side of some here - I'm actually still playing Sunbreak (at 140 hours now, after 180 hours with Rise) and I was expecting the update around the end of the month, so I planning to start XC3 this coming weekend - and they just HAD to come out with this update (that looks so good) now instead of end August and wreck my plans. Oh well.

Yeah this looks meaty, just downloaded it now, we'll see how it is but am looking forward to it.

Just wish there was a surprise monster cause the metal Rath's aint special

I already passed on Live A Live and Xenoblade 3 and now can't visit half my favorite threads for fear of spoilers.

Why the heck do people keep dying to MR Narwa? I don't find her hard and you need to beat HR her to even get to Elgado, yet 4 random groups I've joined all triple carted. I just want this Urgent done so I can move past MR30.

Why the heck do people keep dying to MR Narwa? I don't find her hard and you need to beat HR her to even get to Elgado, yet 4 random groups I've joined all triple carted. I just want this Urgent done so I can move past MR30.
I can help if you want. I doing it all solo. But i can help.

I have the exact same thing but with a hunt that is just a little later after Narwa I think (and not even essential), Teostra + Pyre Rakna-Kadaki. I tried it solo once and couldn't finish it within the time limit, but every group I join (4 or maybe 5 by now) keeps triple carting to Teostra...

The most irritating part was when I joined a group that didn't try fighting Teostra first, I expected it to end up being a waste of time and that's exactly what happened.

That said I don't find MR Teostra to be a walk in the park.

Update: After yet another group that triple carted (where the hunt starter went for the Rakna first again, yup) I couldn't take it any more, tried solo yet again and this time (probably due to all the extra MR teostra practice I got) succeeded with some time to spare.

Last edited:
Narwa was a weird one. I delayed doing the MR30 Urgent for a good while because I was sweating facing her again. Then the actual fight was a breeze. Even the roating pillars, which still got me every other time in High Rank farming, I dodged and weaved in between smooth and easy three times as if they had made the pattern way more forgiving.

Rolled a free point of handicraft on both my pants and helmet before I even started grinding anomalies for real. Qurious crafting is gonna be some extreme powercreep, can't wait to try level 99 monsters and see if they get a significant difficulty increase.

Eh the MR narwa fight is actually pretty tough. I did beat it first try, but only because I was playing with friends an not randos. But I totally get it. The dragonator attack is just as tricky as ever, except it does bonkers damage now. I usually just farcast out to be safe. The lightning attacks do a ton of damage now too, like 75-80% from one tail slap

Use the small bomb trick if you want to deal with Allmother's dragonator attack safely while getting free damage in. Move some distance away from the center, place down a small bomb and let it detonate and knock you down and then just allow yourself to be dragged into the center without getting up. You can hit Narwa then until you can get onto a gun platform if you don't knock her down before that.

Tail slam absolutely murders randoms though because it will kill you through moxie if it hits you and you don't wirefall in the correct direction immediately, IMO just solo her always.

I often cart to the rotating pillars. Should just start farcasting out. Didn't have a lot of trouble with that on HR Narwa but if I recall correctly you can just run to the center for that one.

I often cart to the rotating pillars. Should just start farcasting out. Didn't have a lot of trouble with that on HR Narwa but if I recall correctly you can just run to the center for that one.

You can on Master Rank Narwa, too. But Farcaster is always a wise choice, especially on the last couple carts. There's a reason the quest provides freebie farcasters (and moxie turtles)!

Back
Top Bottom