• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

I vow to complete every A1★ and A2★ hunt before I let the patch go through. Unless they increased attack power as counterweight to reducing health.

Since I always ask for ways to spend more time with the low tier monsters, anyhting else would be hypocritical.

Yes, drink deep of the suffering of your prey.

I'll go back and try one or two to see what kind of a difference it makes, but considering most of these were small, (too small if I'm being honest, the tiny size was kind of a pain) and covered in frenzy spots that take extra damage when hit, but you're like hitting multiple every swipe cause of how small they are, and they explode after a couple hits doing like 500-900 damage per frenzy spot popped.... I'm wondering if they'll just, like die in explosive frenzy death after a couple hits now.

Not sure what they were smoking with the elemental values on some of these dual blades but the damage is pretty absurd. Bow must be eating good too, and I know CB is.

Finally got rid of my narga HR set only to get... Narga MR set lol
I love evade extender and I was able to carry my decorations loadout so, change in continuity I guess 😁

Still baffling to me how some people be in MR and still don't properly know how to ride monsters lol
Doing the MR Anjanath quest, a Rathian shows up, "very nice" I think. The Anjanath is the first one being hit in the fight, so it's the ridable one. The other player ride it and... Beat the shit out of the Rathian instead of launching Anjanath on the Rathian so that it become ridable ? Lmao

Still baffling to me how some people be in MR and still don't properly know how to ride monsters lol
Doing the MR Anjanath quest, a Rathian shows up, "very nice" I think. The Anjanath is the first one being hit in the fight, so it's the ridable one. The other player ride it and... Beat the shit out of the Rathian instead of launching Anjanath on the Rathian so that it become ridable ? Lmao

Beating the shinies out of the quest monster first is good. It's just embarrassing if you then mess up the slam or are in such an adrenaline rush you hit the Mounted Punisher.

No way that'd ever happen to me, though. No way. I never accidentally make monsters stumble and crash miles away from another monster or a wall instead of hitting either. Never ever.

Just got to the Citadel area last night and man I love the atmosphere it gives off. It might be my favourite area.

Beating the shinies out of the quest monster first is good. It's just embarrassing if you then mess up the slam or are in such an adrenaline rush you hit the Mounted Punisher.

No way that'd ever happen to me, though. No way. I never accidentally make monsters stumble and crash miles away from another monster or a wall instead of hitting either. Never ever.
Oh but it wasn't their point, they beat the shit out the monster way past the point of getting the 3 materials lol
Many people in HR/MR still don't know that you can ride the other one by launching the monster onto it, which makes me nervous everytime someone else ride a monster lol

Oh but it wasn't their point, they beat the shit out the monster way past the point of getting the 3 materials lol
Many people in HR/MR still don't know that you can ride the other one by launching the monster onto it, which makes me nervous everytime someone else ride a monster lol
You can also ride the other one easily if you use the final ride attack and then immediately use your special silkbug attack (for example SNS Ryu shield punch). Thats what I am always doing. I didn't knew about that launching thing either but good to know

So I accidentally opened up my quest for joining, then went ahead with it anyways, because I was too lazy to cancel and re-up the quest. It was the one with a teostra, rathalos, anjanath and orange monkey.

A hunter joined, immediately carted, and then immediately dropped. This happened consecutively, twice in the first 5 minutes.

Thought about abandoning the quest, but then 3 more hunters joined and we were awesome, and smashed everything without a single cart, and it was raining mantles n gems n shit.

I know there is a life lesson in here somewhere.

So I accidentally opened up my quest for joining, then went ahead with it anyways, because I was too lazy to cancel and re-up the quest. It was the one with a teostra, rathalos, anjanath and orange monkey.

A hunter joined, immediately carted, and then immediately dropped. This happened consecutively, twice in the first 5 minutes.

Thought about abandoning the quest, but then 3 more hunters joined and we were awesome, and smashed everything without a single cart, and it was raining mantles n gems n shit.

I know there is a life lesson in here somewhere.
Yeah never give up. I feel when people see there is one cart left they play very different and they go Super Saiyan or something

Just had one of those hunts that are the stuff of series legends; we'd had two carts to Master Rank Nargacuga, but we'd fought him long and hard and he was close to going down.
One more death and we'd be finished. A few times one of us came close, and I was on the edge of my seat.
Then, at last, the fatal blow was struck and our foe let out one last bellow and slumped the rain-soaked earth. My heart was beating like a jackhammer and my palms were gripping the controller for dear life.
Holy shit this game is great.

Just fought the MR 50 Urgent Quest.
that is one angry monkey.

Yeah, Normal Rajang is still pretty laid back for a Rajang, even in MR, and I feel like its lower rank than I remember it being. But furious fucking George? That's as proper angry monkey as he's ever been. I think he's faster than he's ever been. Thank glob he doesn't have the wall catch from iceborne.

Finally got rid of my narga HR set only to get... Narga MR set lol
I love evade extender and I was able to carry my decorations loadout so, change in continuity I guess 😁
I'm with ya. As a SA main, the Narga set compliments my playstyle really well. Plus the MR set has a few extra slots so I can gem in some more skills to help me out. Just having a hard time finding the Tailspear. Spent the last hour farming and still none.

I'm with ya. As a SA main, the Narga set compliments my playstyle really well. Plus the MR set has a few extra slots so I can gem in some more skills to help me out. Just having a hard time finding the Tailspear. Spent the last hour farming and still none.

Did the same last night and nada. I’m an IG main. What ain’t broke, don’t fix, lol.

Hit the credits and somehow I'm already feeling nostalgic for Elgado. Had a great time overall, although the final boss was a teensy bit of a disappointment fight wise. That being said it had a fantastic lead up. The Lunagaron quest before it
with the dead monsters and creepy music
was one of the best story infuenced quests in the series.

On the bad side, I still can't make heads and tails of some of the auto shoutout triggers.

On the good side, you got to see this:

I never accidentally make monsters stumble and crash miles away from another monster or a wall. Never ever.

So uh... Just joined a rando in progress quest for my Espinas urgent... As soon as I joined the quest, they completed it (legit didn't even move from the loading spot), got 2 mantles in the rewards lmao

Cleared the final urgent quest and saw the credits roll last night. Shout out to @Vantell for helping out and his great HH support ^^. Was an amazing experience fighting against the final boss, and the lead up was just as awesome. Now MR20, time for the endgame :D

Cleared the final urgent quest and saw the credits roll last night. Shout out to @Vantell for helping out and his great HH support ^^. Was an amazing experience fighting against the final boss, and the lead up was just as awesome. Now MR20, time for the endgame :D
‘Final’, huh, you’ve got another 4 urgents to go :D

So I've been ruminating on the discussion started by Sheldon about howa Capcom making the side characters have more important parts to play, had them doing things I would want to do as the hunter, almost to the point of overshadowing the actual fight.....

And I think I have arrived at my desired course of events.

The hunter would have been on the super battleship, manning the various weapons platforms to attack the boss at range and defend from the rubble he hurled, closing the distance with successful attack and defense.

Once this phase has reached sufficient damage, the admiral commands the crew to ready the dragonators, to which the player aims and fires (missing, which is not easy goes back to a short loop with a little damage that must be dealt to be ready to fire again).

After firing the third dragonator, the Admiral commands the crew to ready the ultimate dragonator.

The player pulls the lever, and we cut to the mast dropping down and taking aim at the boss, revealing it doubles as a massive cannon.

The Admiral commands the crew to fire the ultimate dragonator, and through the fire and smoke of the massive shot, it's revealed they fired the player out of the cannon from the ocean, all the way into the boss beasties face, toppling it into the pit, where the final battle begins.

The Admiral commands the crew to fire the ultimate dragonator, and through the fire and smoke of the massive shot, it's revealed they fired the player out of the cannon from the ocean, all the way into the boss beasties face, toppling it into the pit, where the final battle begins.

10/10 idea. If Proof of a Hero started blaring at that moment, it'd be the only Monster Hunter game to ever have a chance of toppling MH4U in my heart.

(To be honest with myself and all of you, I gotta say, though, I'm a massive hypocrite for the right NPC. A companion to the hunter, like Fiorayne, for example, can get all the action hero cutscenes in the world and I won't hold it against the game, if both character and heroics are cool enough. Magnamalo in Rises's original final boss hogging a bit of glory was equally earned and welcome.)

10/10 idea. If Proof of a Hero started blaring at that moment, it'd be the only Monster Hunter game to ever have a chance of toppling MH4U in my heart.

(To be honest with myself and all of you, I gotta say, though, I'm a massive hypocrite for the right NPC. A companion to the hunter, like Fiorayne, for example, can get all the action hero cutscenes in the world and I won't hold it against the game, if both character and heroics are cool enough. Magnamalo in Rises's original final boss hogging a bit of glory was equally earned and welcome.)

I'm totally on board with the npc's, and I think the reason for both these conflicting feelings comes from the same place.

The reason I like these npc's so much more than even my favourites from the past, is in huge part because they actually interact with me. Having them come along in main story and follower quests has had a massive impact of making them... Well, more than that npc with the neat design and funny dialog that always stays in the same place repeating the same thing until the cutscene.

And I think that plays into what issue I took about that epic super boat cutscene, after all that working together, they did it without me.

On a related note that's probably super weird to everyone.....

On follower quests, the followers not carving with you after your triumph bums me out.

I’ve been working through the MR quests, finally finished them all plus the Anomaly quests, and am at MR97 :)

I’ve got a handful of follower quests left to do too, plus the arena quests, so it should all round off nicely in the end with the MR100 urgent later this week.

I’ve been working through the MR quests, finally finished them all plus the Anomaly quests, and am at MR97 :)

I’ve got a handful of follower quests left to do too, plus the arena quests, so it should all round off nicely in the end with the MR100 urgent later this week.
I am still a bit behind. I did a lot of the same quests but slowly tackling all the content :). I am already MR 60 almost so I probably will be 100 for sure after doing everything we have for now.

I'm totally on board with the npc's, and I think the reason for both these conflicting feelings comes from the same place.

The reason I like these npc's so much more than even my favourites from the past, is in huge part because they actually interact with me. Having them come along in main story and follower quests has had a massive impact of making them... Well, more than that npc with the neat design and funny dialog that always stays in the same place repeating the same thing until the cutscene.

And I think that plays into what issue I took about that epic super boat cutscene, after all that working together, they did it without me.

On a related note that's probably super weird to everyone.....

On follower quests, the followers not carving with you after your triumph bums me out.

Good observation about them doing it without you. I had only looked at it from the point of view of the NPCs taking away from the hunter. You're right that it goes both ways. The hunter not being there, even in a supporting role like Luchika, takes away from their story, too.

And I was absolutely weirded out by the followers not carving alongside me. It makes sense Kamura citizens like the twins wouldn't, but some of the Elgado crew are former hunters themselves. It's inconceivable they would go on a hunt for old time's sake and leave their skinning knife at home.

Feel the game should have launched with one more tier of afflicted monsters. There's a pretty big gap with nothing really there from 50 to 100 outside of the urgents. Could have been a cool set of buffed monsters to fight at MR100+ but I also get that the majority of the playerbase probably isn't really there yet.

Feel the game should have launched with one more tier of afflicted monsters. There's a pretty big gap with nothing really there from 50 to 100 outside of the urgents. Could have been a cool set of buffed monsters to fight at MR100+ but I also get that the majority of the playerbase probably isn't really there yet.

Same here.

Ive..... I've hunted so many, yet still crave more.

I can't even comprehend the size of the corpse piles I've left behind.

I've torn through multiple different habitats like a force of nature, wrecking the ecosystem. The fields are bare, the honey is gone, there is no more poop for fertilizer, a took the mushrooms, killed the ants, fished the fish, stole all the beetles and butterflies, took the local colorful birds. I even took all the rocks and minerals. I destroyed the predator hierarchy. And the herbivore population too.

I have all the local flora and fauna stripped and shoved into a small chest, where I hoard it.

And still I want more.

I.... I think my hunter needs to be classified an elder dragon.

Just beat Lunagaron and holy cow what an awesome fight. Easily the best new Sunbreak monster so far, and one of the best in the entire game. Fantastic design, and perfect balance between challenging enough to be exciting, but never frustrating.
Crafted its armor to replace my Hermitaur gear, which was starting to show its age.

Monster Hunter's loop of hunting to craft and crafting to hunt remains one of the most effective dopamine delivery systems in gaming.

I agree. I’m happy enough with the sheer amount of quests to clear being enough to get me up to MR100 without repeating them, but the thing is, once you’ve knocked out the Afflicted quests and the urgents, there’s nothing really challenging left. There’s a long haul between MR70 and 100 in particular. I think they should probably have had an extra tier of Afflicted quests open at MR70, even if it was only 3 or 4 of them with more to follow with the update.

Still, I guess that’s something that’ll effectively be sorted with the update, it’s more that people crashing through it at launch will always crave more :D

Good observation about them doing it without you. I had only looked at it from the point of view of the NPCs taking away from the hunter. You're right that it goes both ways. The hunter not being there, even in a supporting role like Luchika, takes away from their story, too.

And I was absolutely weirded out by the followers not carving alongside me. It makes sense Kamura citizens like the twins wouldn't, but some of the Elgado crew are former hunters themselves. It's inconceivable they would go on a hunt for old time's sake and leave their skinning knife at home.
Yeah this seems like something they should have done. Little things like having the followers carve with you and grab stuff from the supply chest at the start, just small things to make them seem more like hunters. I do like it that they run off to grab monsters to use against other monsters, as it’s effective, cool and a subtle (in its own way) tutorial all at the same time.

Going out hunting with the senior NPCs like the Admiral, the village chief etc, they are fun hunts that really make you feel like you’re a highly respected part of the community, and it’s great that so many of the more junior knights want to train with you too. I think they could push that a bit in future but I really like the content. It gives you a feel for where all the cast fit in, that they aren’t all just another dozen hunters standing around doing nothing while palming their jobs off on you!

In Generations they gave you a seperate High Rank village campaign to go with the G-rank online hub quests, but I much prefer the way it’s all been integrated in Sunbreak (presumably taking notes from World). It’s all one campaign and whether you are playing online or not, with real other players or with your buddies, is all the same. It helps that the monster health scales properly now rather than having online content still scaled for 2-3 hunters even if you’re playing alone too.

How I excuse the lack of follower interactions to myself is I envision Sunbreak had a limited animation budget and if the choice was between Arlow or Jae carving up a monster on the one hand and Arlow inspecting and correcting Jae's boxing technique, they made the right choice.

In Generations they gave you a seperate High Rank village campaign to go with the G-rank online hub quests, but I much prefer the way it’s all been integrated in Sunbreak (presumably taking notes from World). It’s all one campaign and whether you are playing online or not, with real other players or with your buddies, is all the same. It helps that the monster health scales properly now rather than having online content still scaled for 2-3 hunters even if you’re playing alone too.

It's much more elegant to fold village and gathering hall progression into one for the sake of the story. Still I miss the days of being able to fight monsters with multiplayer health pools by myself. From everything I read online I get the impression most players favor 5-10 minutes, whereas I like to go 15-20 minutes, and soloing the old hub was a way to satisfy weirdos like me while still giving the majority what they want in the village fights.

How I excuse the lack of follower interactions to myself is I envision Sunbreak had a limited animation budget and if the choice was between Arlow or Jae carving up a monster on the one hand and Arlow inspecting and correcting Jae's boxing technique, they made the right choice.

It's much more elegant to fold village and gathering hall progression into one for the sake of the story. Still I miss the days of being able to fight monsters with multiplayer health pools by myself. From everything I read online I get the impression most players favor 5-10 minutes, whereas I like to go 15-20 minutes, and soloing the old hub was a way to satisfy weirdos like me while still giving the majority what they want in the village fights.
Oh, that’s fair enough. For me I mostly play on the train so a shorter gameplay loop where I’m more likely to finish a quest works for me in an age when portables have lower than ever battery life. Having said that, battery packs are a thing and it’s not like I’ve ever lost progress- even Switch has sleep mode and can just shut down and pick up where you left off.

I tend to solo new monsters the first time round and then go online for subsequent plays. Just fought one of the urgent MR5 quests involving an elder dragon and it took me a decent chunk of the allocated time so I'm glad its health was scaled down for me.

I tend to solo new monsters the first time round and then go online for subsequent plays. Just fought one of the urgent MR5 quests involving an elder dragon and it took me a decent chunk of the allocated time so I'm glad its health was scaled down for me.

My most enduring memory of Monster Hunter is running out of time against Duramboros and barely getting the job done in the nick of time on the second try with more aggression and better preparation. So I've been conditioned to want to run out of time each Monster Hunter game at least once ever since. I haven't been so lucky in Rise or Sunbreak yet, but only because the final boss forced me to throw caution to the wind 5 minutes from the limit and soon thereafter earned that third cart.

Follower quests are one of the best additions Rise brings to the franchise for me.
As much as I love the feeling of teaming up with real people to bring down monstrous beasts, doing so with an in-game character is cool in its own way, as it helps form more of a bond with them than just talking to them in the hub and seeing them in cutscenes.
It also strikes a nice balance between the cooperative action of multiplayer and the more methodical challenge of solo play.

received_5644251385542j5r.jpeg

I think this is about the best I can do with my current resources. If only I were blessed with a god talisman

Anybody up for a few M5* hunts ? Randoms are failing me and are carting even more than me lol.
Lobby is 2LM0AB

I'd love to start up a famiboard hunt hub.

I can't play online until night though, with 4 kids trying to play online during the day is just asking to have to abandon in the middle of any random hunt lol.

There doesn't seem to be à lot of players on pc, I couldn't find a hunt for Lunagaron which is like obligatory and neither for diablos.
And when someone came for the latter, it was a spectacular showing of two carts with one in the first minute of entering the battle.

There doesn't seem to be à lot of players on pc, I couldn't find a hunt for Lunagaron which is like obligatory and neither for diablos.
And when someone came for the latter, it was a spectacular showing of two carts with one in the first minute of entering the battle.
Apparently PC only matches you with other people in the same Steam download region. No idea why they would do this, completely asinine decision that completely hobbles the multiplayer

I'd love to start up a famiboard hunt hub.

I can't play online until night though, with 4 kids trying to play online during the day is just asking to have to abandon in the middle of any random hunt lol.

I've got 4 kids too (12, 10, 7 and 3 months). They're currently at their grand mother 's house with my wife. I'm reuniting with them tomorrow.
These past few days were so calm and peaceful lol. Also I was able to play a lot of MH. Won' t be able before long lol

Every time I play hammer in Rise I'm reminded just how much I hate silkbinds and wirebugs again and then I go back to begrudingly playing dual blades exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom