• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

Magma Almudron is such a bad ass fight and changeup from his counterpart. After the first fight and getting his rampage deco I have no reason to fight him, as I don't want any of his armor (which if found weird, as normal Almudron is aces for swag axe). But I kept fighting him cause he's a blast

PSA: Don't dodge left on Magma Almudron. If for whatever reason left is your default subconscious way to dodge when you sense an attack coming.... Rewire your brain.

Or get slapped.

I desperately want crit chain, and to find a way to incorporate it into my skill set, but the desire sensor is mocking me again by giving me the mantle of every single mantle having monster on my first fight (and many multiples), but 20+ astalos later, no mantle lol.

Count me in the Kamura camp, too.

Benefits of the condensed layout and the folding of the gathering hub into the regular hub aside, it's glaring how a town ostensibly designed to take advantage of wirebug movement has so many more invisible walls than were ever apparant in Kamura.

And I'm more fond of the people who inhabit Kamura, too. Compared to the NPCs of Elgado, like for like, I think the only categories where Sunbreak wins is the Blacksmith and the Arena Master. Fiorayne and the Palicoe train score points, yes, but don't have obvious counterparts, and Chichae and her bag is at least competitive with the Shrine Maidens and their love of Dango and low art self-esteem.
I do agree on these points at least. The amount of invisible walls is annoying. It's a small thing, but I want to be able to go wherever I want while I'm waiting for my teammates to ready up dammit!!! Elgado feels tiny

Agree on the characters too, but that's almost unfair because base Rise had way more story/cutscenes to endear me. I do really like Fiorayne though

Agree on the characters too, but that's almost unfair because base Rise had way more story/cutscenes to endear me. I do really like Fiorayne though

I have to immediately revise my opinions somewhat because shortly after my post I witnessed two fun interactions between Chichae & Supy on the one hand and between Jae & Arlow which I don't think Kamura had anything comparable to.

Worth keeping an eye out for while you're running around town between quests.

I do agree on these points at least. The amount of invisible walls is annoying. It's a small thing, but I want to be able to go wherever I want while I'm waiting for my teammates to ready up dammit!!! Elgado feels tiny

It's very jarring in Elgado, because in the actual game, invisible walls are nearly non-existent, outside of the outer circumference end of the map.

The very few that do exist in the actual game field, mainly centralized in the lava caverns, are equally vexxing, because freedom of movement has become such an enjoyable base staple.

They must have buffed the hell out of gem/mantle drop rates because I'm getting loads of them, and (anecdotal) some of my friends are too.

They must have buffed the hell out of gem/mantle drop rates because I'm getting loads of them, and (anecdotal) some of my friends are too.

Every monster is barfing out gems and mantles on me except astalos.

It's so weird, for some reason, Malzeno gave me 5 freaking mantles (3 in 1 hunt and 2 in another) and I managed to get a mantle from every single monster lol. The only exception was Shagaru Magala, took me 9 kills to get a single mantle.

It's so weird, for some reason, Malzeno gave me 5 freaking mantles (3 in 1 hunt and 2 in another) and I managed to get a mantle from every single monster lol. The only exception was Shagaru Magala, took me 9 kills to get a single mantle.

Lol, so yours was S. Magala. Wait until we find out Capcom purposefully programmed one monster at random to be a dick about mantle drops.

Lol, so yours was S. Magala. Wait until we find out Capcom purposefully programmed one monster at random to be a dick about mantle drops.
Maybe, I've killed like 15 Rathalos and still don't have a mantle but I killed a random Rathian on my PC save for some webbing and..
YIbYtXu.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe, I've killed like 15 Rathalos and still don't have a mantle but I killed a random Rathian for some webbing and..
YIbYtXu.jpg

Capcom has created real actual sentient AI, and it's sole purpose and only desire for fulfillment is to just fuck with us.

At least fighting S.Magala was pure Bliss, such an amazing intense fight. Definitely harder than MH4U lol.

The new magala fights are indeed pure bliss. Both of them. And this is coming from someone who farmed S. Magala until he was sick lol.

The new magala fights are indeed pure bliss. Both of them. And this is coming from someone who farmed S. Magala until he was sick lol.
And not to mention his amazing godly theme. Honestly, this expansion is a love letter to 4th gen MH.

It's very jarring in Elgado, because in the actual game, invisible walls are nearly non-existent, outside of the outer circumference end of the map.

The very few that do exist in the actual game field, mainly centralized in the lava caverns, are equally vexxing, because freedom of movement has become such an enjoyable base staple.
I was so annoyed when I was trying to reach the arena/temple area in the citadel by scaling over the tall mountain in the middle, finding out I couldn't and had to go the long way around

The further I get in Sunbreak, the more I love it.

I confess, at first I didn’t bother with switch skills as it felt too complicated, but now that I’ve started actively practicing it, they’re started to click and the newfound versatility they bring to combat is really awesome.

As with so many great games, cool little touches go a long way, like the steam train that trundles around Elgado or the hidden crystal cave in the Jungle map.

I did my first Follower quest last night, and that too is brilliant addition to the game. The first time Dame Fiorayne seemed to disappear, only to show up riding a monster and rejoin the fight, was so badass.

So far, so good! In the mean time... wait, how in the hell is there not a "I must go my planet needs me" gif with the wirebug!?

Did my first Lunagaron today, offline with Fiorayne and it was easier than expected. It might've been that I was using DB so I could keep up with the speed? But he was easier than Garangolem for me.

Did my first Lunagaron today, offline with Fiorayne and it was easier than expected. It might've been that I was using DB so I could keep up with the speed? But he was easier than Garangolem for me.
I find Lunagaron easier than Garangolem too. Perhaps because if you can fight Zinogre, then a super fast fanged elemental beast isn’t that new? I love it’s bipedal form though, when it stood up it was only then that my brain connected that ‘oh, it’s a werewolf’!

Yoooooo I got three gems from a single Teostra hunt
Also did they make its headpiece even more busted? Goddamn

Saw somewhere that apparently the Malzeno amiibo gives you materials to help out with Talisman farming from the lottery

Was already annoyed they got delayed to September in my country, now knowing what they give sucks even more. Hoping with the title updates I'll still be playing. I love the game and always will enjoy it, but the way I play games is very sporadic, I play for months, then stop for months, then back for months, etc...

If I found out one of the amiiboo gave guaranteed eurekacorn, I'd be supreme annoyed and also drop 100 bucks on it on ebay seconds later.

Lunagaron does an excellent job of feeling relentless, aggressive and in your face at all times but never overwhelming. It's almost a magic trick.

Same, it was also easier than Magnamalo for me.

Love the design though, and might farm it for mats for the Switch Axe.

I'm mostly through MR4 and yet the only monster to cart me twice has been that damn blue crab. 😑 Talk about easy decapitation

Last night, I felt it.

I was fighting Tobi Kadachi in the Jungle, and suddenly something clicked into place like a crystal key, and I was dodging, striking, and blocking in a fluid, rhythmic dance, in an almost zen-like state, and the dopamine was coursing through my veins like liquid lightning.

When the monster finally went down, the feeling of elation was primal, prehistoric, euphoric.

It was then that I remembered just why Monster Hunter 3 remains my most played game of all time, and why Rise is second only to BOTW in the Switch hall of greatness for me. When you hit that hunter's high, there is nothing else quite like it.

Same, it was also easier than Magnamalo for me.

Love the design though, and might farm it for mats for the Switch Axe.

I think that's because we had an ai companion plus your 2 fur warriors.

Like I have an exhaust swax, and everytime I knocked it out we all ganged up and beat it like it owed us money. It was brutal, All that was needed to complete the scene was a fire hydrant for it to fall on.

It's Axe is definitely sweet, and I think will finally no contest usurp the barioth line for best ice swax.
Important information: Utsushi will blow a kiss to you if you use the gesture at him
FXChOh7VEAA-HXv
Oh there is definitely shenanigans to be had here..
It's going to be tough, and you're gonna have to be fast, but I definitely think we can frame a picture of Utsushi blowing a kiss to a Zinogre or some shit on our wall.

Can't say I enjoyed that final boss as a hammer main. But what else is new

I did a bunch of follower quests prior to completing the story, but my MR didn't change when my cap raised. So either follower quests don't give experience or it doesn't start accumulating until you unlock your MR, which would be extremely disappointing

Can't say I enjoyed that final boss as a hammer main. But what else is new

I did a bunch of follower quests prior to completing the story, but my MR didn't change when my cap raised. So either follower quests don't give experience or it doesn't start accumulating until you unlock your MR, which would be extremely disappointing

I had just switched out from my garangolem exhaust/ko swax build for a build based around the waxglare/chameleos axe for dat purple sharpness, and immediately regretted it because the final boss was basically a gigantic bobble head. Although thinking about it swax has waaaayyyy more reach than hammer, I can easily hit his head from the ground throughout most of the fight.

It doesn't start accumulating until you uncap, similar to hunter rank in base rise.

Super glad now I stopped doing survey/follower quests when I did, I have most of 4 and 5 stars to do for rank.

Having a bit of an existential fashion hunter crisis now.

For.... A very long time now I have been fashion hunting as a pirate/swashbuckler from cobbled together peices of layered armor, loosely based on a desire based on the pirate j jump design but not wanting to actually do the pirate j jump design? If that makes sense to any normal people.

But now the pirate design is back, AND a swash buckler design and it's good. It's too god damn good.... I'm..... I'm going to use a..... Normal non mixed fashion armor?

Last edited:
So I reviewed Sunbreak for N1-UP (in Dutch but you can see the grade I gave it out of /10) and Sunbreak is amazing. I think Rise was already good and it build further and made what was good in Rise even better.

Some endgame spoilers
The endgame is fun especially because it isnt mindless button mashing. You need to search for the weak spots on the monsters or get slapped. The final boss is epic and the fight memorable. The new monsters are great and we will be getting more additions soon as well. Sunbreak did so much right. I hope people will see that :)

Funny enough seeing the recent Hey Jay video on YouTube where he states how he likes Rise now coming from 3U. He says that when you go from World to Rise the wow factor is much less, but when you are more an old school hunter and then go to Rise it is so much better with all the QoL. He liked World much more when was playing both Iceborn and Rise at the same time but now has a different view on Rise. Happy to hear that as well :)

I am now playing a Dereliction // Blood Rite build with Healing Horns. Otherwise I go for a Blood Rite build with Partbreaker and Recovery Up for non heal builds. Still does a decent chunk of damage with the new SS

So I reviewed Sunbreak for N1-UP (in Dutch but you can see the grade I gave it out of /10) and Sunbreak is amazing. I think Rise was already good and it build further and made what was good in Rise even better.

Some endgame spoilers
The endgame is fun especially because it isnt mindless button mashing. You need to search for the weak spots on the monsters or get slapped. The final boss is epic and the fight memorable. The new monsters are great and we will be getting more additions soon as well. Sunbreak did so much right. I hope people will see that :)

That end-game descriptions sounds like my re-found love for the Lance will continue strong.

Also, whatascore, and it's always fun to discover that the german ability to half-understand Dutch when it's spoken translates to the written word, too.

I haven't said much in here because I've been busy playing the game, but I'm around MR60 right now and this whole expansion has been a blast so far! There's definitely some fights I like better than others (while I love its design, the Malzeno fight doesn't really speak to me, but on the other hand Gaismagorm was a super fun raid fight), but none that I've straight-up disliked, and the way master rank is divided into two parts feels really really nice in terms of the progression/difficulty curve. Really happy I ended up getting it day of, I was a tiny bit wary since I really disliked Iceborne, but this time at least it paid off.

I'm still a bit low on pieces for fashion hunter (though I haven't finished all the follower quests yet, and I know there's a couple more monsters I haven't discovered) because most of the new ones are really bulky on guys and I like going for a more sleek and less armored look, but at least a couple of the new sets are cute. I'm hoping I'll still find something to displace the shell set as my favorite though.

I'm only MR23 right now, but we got a group of four to join a friend's Valstrax quest that unlocks at MR70. Halfway through the fight we get a communication error and two are left to fight solo while I was left with the other low MR guy lol. Beat it without carting though and now I guess I get a sneak peak of/head start on the armor and weapon

I'm only MR23 right now, but we got a group of four to join a friend's Valstrax quest that unlocks at MR70. Halfway through the fight we get a communication error and two are left to fight solo while I was left with the other low MR guy lol. Beat it without carting though and now I guess I get a sneak peak of/head start on the armor and weapon
I’m looking forward to it, at about MR60 so far.

That end-game descriptions sounds like my re-found love for the Lance will continue strong.

Also, whatascore, and it's always fun to discover that the german ability to half-understand Dutch when it's spoken translates to the written word, too.
Thanks! Yeah, for us Dutch German is in most cases not hard to understand. Though, somtimes I really need to focus, haha. There are some words that are very different from both English and Dutch so yeah. I can test out my German knowledge again at Gamescom :)

Rolled credits yesterday. God, those are long credits.

I'd dock Sunbreak more than 0.2 points for the crime of teasing me with a balista- and wyrmstake-laden ship all throughout the story and then never letting me get on board alone. The final boss is fine, but I expected a new and improved take on Jhen Mohran where we hunters get to drive it back into the abyss ourselves before jumping after it for the final showdown. Instead the Admiral's warship stays NPC-excluive to make a couple of them look cool in a cutscene.

Sorry @daase ko even after all your help and tips I could not get the defense aspect of CB, so I tried SA and it's the most fun I've had playing the game since I started. Even without a fully optmized spec and with a high rank weapon my MR hunts suddenly got quicker and I'm using less recovery items than with the CB. Still on MR2, I'm kind of pacing myself while I alternate my sunbreak solo and playing with my friends.
Also the group with our friends is starting to shape up well, I believe soon we will be doing the HR quests together. Can't wait for when they get to sunbreak content, these hunts will be so much fun to do together.

Sorry @daase ko even after all your help and tips I could not get the defense aspect of CB, so I tried SA and it's the most fun I've had playing the game since I started. Even without a fully optmized spec and with a high rank weapon my MR hunts suddenly got quicker and I'm using less recovery items than with the CB. Still on MR2, I'm kind of pacing myself while I alternate my sunbreak solo and playing with my friends.
Also the group with our friends is starting to shape up well, I believe soon we will be doing the HR quests together. Can't wait for when they get to sunbreak content, these hunts will be so much fun to do together.
The idea is when a monster gonna attack, time ZR+X to morph to axe and if it block you gonna add to the stun gauge of the monster.
If you guard silkbind (ZL+A) a monster attack you get to immediately fill the phials. Phials are used to charge your shield to red.(X+A in axe mode and then ZR to cancel the attack and put the energy in the shield).
And when red you access the mega elemental attack which you can drop immediately after a silkbind guard doing X+A. There are other intricacies but it's the essential stuff.

Rolled credits yesterday. God, those are long credits.

I'd dock Sunbreak more than 0.2 points for the crime of teasing me with a balista- and wyrmstake-laden ship all throughout the story and then never letting me get on board alone. The final boss is fine, but I expected a new and improved take on Jhen Mohran where we hunters get to drive it back into the abyss ourselves before jumping after it for the final showdown. Instead the Admiral's warship stays NPC-excluive to make a couple of them look cool in a cutscene.

I definitely felt the same way. It must have really been really piling on in my head too, because during the fight I remember several times where the fight was interrupted for a transition, and it did it via cutscene, I was getting increasingly concerned the game was going to cutscene kill the monster instead of letting me hunt it. It all turned out all right enough in the end but..... Guys.... I'm the hunter. You make the cool shit, I use it to hunt the monsters.

Well, I've found a key difference between Utsushi and Fiorayne, one does the Mew Mew dance and one doesn't.

Utsushi went out on like a 5 minute meandering rant on the power of youth and rivalry testing each other and growing as one of his responses when you accidentally clip through a character with an attack (you know, what happens every single time you try to collect spiribugs from shrubs) and it was so ridiculous over done, over the top, and hammed up it's like the only response to this situation I actually liked.

Currently at MR 87 but I'm taking a break as I'm now playing AI Somnuim Files Nirvana. Once that's completed, I'm getting back.

Plus, my fingers and wrist started to ache lol.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I beat World solo no problem but gave up on Rise once the new story quests moved to the indoor area. It seemed like the game was now set up for multiplayer? Or was it just a difficulty jump that made me think that? Something about the quests moving from the main quest giver made me feel like the main game was over, but now I realize it wasn't.

Would it be worth it to go back and try to get through it? Is it soloable (without tediously long battles) in the same way World was until the end?

What's the impression of Sunbreak - I thought Iceborne was phenomenal, is it as good as that? Similar?

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I beat World solo no problem but gave up on Rise once the new story quests moved to the indoor area. It seemed like the game was now set up for multiplayer? Or was it just a difficulty jump that made me think that? Something about the quests moving from the main quest giver made me feel like the main game was over, but now I realize it wasn't.

Would it be worth it to go back and try to get through it? Is it soloable (without tediously long battles) in the same way World was until the end?

What's the impression of Sunbreak - I thought Iceborne was phenomenal, is it as good as that? Similar?

World is the only monster hunter game set up like world regarding how it handles player count and low/high level.

Rise goes back to the traditional model, with some qol.

So the way it's set up is you have single player only outside, in the village, these are called the village quests, they cover the low to mid difficulty quests represented by the star count, and typically covers the initial arc of the games story.

In order to continue that story, into the next arcs, into high difficulty, whether you want to play multiplayer or solo, you have to go into the hub. The hub also has all the low to mid level quests from the village you already did, and you used to have to do them all over again to move on. Fortunately rise allows you to test out. Also fortunately rise allows you to play the hub quests offline (we used to lose like 3/4ths of the games when servers were closed and we lost access to the hub, it's quests, and all the monsters and even areas that only showed up there).

I've solod every monster hunter, and rise is very soloable. Even more so now that they added the new weapons and armor for people burn through rise to get to sunbreak.

World was set up in a kind of unique way compared to the other entries in the series (including Rise), by having no distinction between solo and multiplayer other than whether you invited someone along or not.

In Rise (and the previous non-World games), quests are split between "Village" quests, which you can only play in single-player and are balanced around being played solo, and "Hub" quests, which you can play either solo or multiplayer, but are balanced around multiplayer (the HP of the monsters scale with the number of players, but a 1-player hub quest monster still has more HP than in a village quest). Hub quests can still all be cleared solo if you would like, but they'll be a little harder than the village quests of the same star rating. Additionally, village quests only have low-rank quests (with the exception of the ones labeled "Advanced"), whereas hub quests contain the high-rank (and master rank, with Sunbreak) quests.

That said, Sunbreak did add something new with the Follower Quests, which are also solo-only content, they're master rank quests but that you run with NPCs instead of with other players.

Exactly to what degree the Rise hub is soloable is going to depend a bit on how good you are at the game and your gear (and how patient you are), but in theory it's absolutely possible. I can't speak to it personally because I never tried since I have a group of friends I played most of the game with.

Personally I've loved Sunbreak, I would easily describe it as better than Iceborne, but that comes with the caveat that I didn't enjoy Iceborne (and I preferred Rise to World) so I don't know where our tastes do or don't align on that one.

• For A1★ and A2★ quests, the health for all monsters and the attack power of some monsters has been adjusted.

Ha ha ha this explains a lot. Pathetic low level monsters were literally screaming for the sweet release of death but the game was all, no, suffer.

I vow to complete every A1★ and A2★ hunt before I let the patch go through. Unless they increased attack power as counterweight to reducing health.

Since I always ask for ways to spend more time with the low tier monsters, anyhting else would be hypocritical.

Back
Top Bottom