• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

The Jungle map is quite possibly my new favourite of all Rise's locales.
It has a great atmosphere, looks pretty, is well laid out, and the addition of rain is a nice little touch that makes the world feel that much more alive.

The difficulty is so far well gauged; even low tier monsters like Tetranadon and Kula Ya Ku put up a good fight and have new moves, but aren't excessively punishing to the point of frustration.

Really loving it so far, really hoping I can tough it out to the end! :)

I got carted twice against MR Magnamalo, jeez that double tail blast attack got me badly and I immediately got a mantle from him too lol.

I think I need a new set now, my HR set is taking me long to beat these monsters in MR4, like 20 minutes long lol.

Crabby and other low-tier monsters knocked me around. Felt good in terms of them putting up the fight I expect from the rank formerly known as G, but they were let down by their lack of HP, and a bit more damage would have felt fair, too. Many of them deserved a cart they fell just short of.

After all the scrubs not letting me get too cocky, Rathian was the most comfy battle I had. Too much practice over the years and always a great match-up for Lance.

I'll back up the Jungle being a great locale. I've no nostalgia for it, but it's got nice sights and the layout fits my taste for a monster hunter map of being intutive and simple, easy to get around, with open combat areas yet dressing it all up in a colorful way with its own distinct character.

Last edited:
Beat garangolm to get into MR3, fought ceanatuar right after and stopped there for the day. Didn't cart a single time up until that one final quest, and I'm still just rocking HR valstrax armor. Difficulty so far is much, much easier than the final 7* event quests. Though I imagine this is the point where the difficulty will bump up a bit, and I will finally need to upgrade my armor/weapon. Loving it so far though, both new maps are great

After all the scrubs not letting me get too cocky, Rathian was the most comfy battle I had. Too much practice over the years and always a great match-up for Lance.
Rathian’s probably the monster whose patterns I know the best, so I felt comfortable using my secondary switch skills on her as practice - this was a mistake lol. I haven’t been knocked around by a Rath like that since Tri, turns out changing the basic combo of a weapon class I’ve had memorised for over a decade throws me off my game a little!

On that subject, absolutely in love with the greatsword’s new combos, they really add a bit of dynamic animation while completely maintaining the feel of your weapon being a huge slab of whatever.

Went out on the hunt with Hinoa vs Rathalos. At one point I was on fire, poisoned and at 10% health. She says ‘do you think you should heal up’ :D

Whelp.
Garangolem has an exhaust axe.

Ditched my old Valstrax setup, and brought my ko decorations out of retirement.

Tested it on master rank anjanath. Poor things head is way too big for its own good lol.

OK I am dumb : I bought this thinking I would be able to play it but apparently I haven't reach that point yet ? Apparently I need to reach and beat a 7stars hunt in the multiplayer mode or something ? Since I had completed the main story and reach the 6stars solo hunts I thought I would be OK lol

Still gotta work on actually getting to the Sunbreak content, apparently I left off just before hitting 7* quests last I played, oops. Having a ton of fun with Switch Axe now it's starting to click though. I'm probably still super bad with it but it feels like with each hunt I take down I'm getting faster and better.

OK I am dumb : I bought this thinking I would be able to play it but apparently I haven't reach that point yet ? Apparently I need to reach and beat a 7stars hunt in the multiplayer mode or something ? Since I had completed the main story and reach the 6stars solo hunts I thought I would be OK lol
Yeah you need to press on and defeat the boss there. Shouldn’t take you too long though, it’s just a handful of quests.

Its only been a day and a half but I already prefer Elgado over Kamura, never had much love for the latter except for the music. Love the sea fortress vibes Elgado has! I really like some of the NPCs too like the fishing cat and all the knights

Desire sensor in full force making it's presence known.

Fought master rank magnamalo for the first time. Fight was a blast, new moves were cool, busted him up pretty good.

Went to check on my first favourite low rank axe the shadow slice upgrade line. Had everything I needed from that 1 fight except I only had gotten 2 of the needed 4 ascended arm blades.

Checked out the chart, 80% drop rate for breaking the arms. Makes sense two busted arm blades, I got two of the drops. 80% it's practically guaranteed.

Desire sensor was not having that shit.

I now have a pile of 7 Magnamalos with just stumps for front legs and STILL only the 3 out of 4 blades with an 80% drop rate for breaking arms. And I broke those things multiple times, down to the stumps.

8th 2 legged Magnamalo corpse tossed on the 2 legged Magnamalo corpse mountain finally yielded my 4th 80% drop rate blade.

Shenanigans.

Just hit MR3. Liking the MR hunts so far, I've carted a fair few times but it always feels like it's because I was stupid or overconfident. The follower quests are fun too.

A small handful of hunts after my trials and tribulations in updating my Magnamalo swax, I upgraded and switched back to my garangolem axe lol.

After mostly cruising through the early MR quests, I got MR3 and both Goss Harag and Shogun Cenataur slapped me around. Feels good to finally cart as weird as it sounds!

After mostly cruising through the early MR quests, I got MR3 and both Goss Harag and Shogun Cenataur slapped me around. Feels good to finally cart as weird as it sounds!
Shogun Ceanataur tore me apart, lol. I actually just ended up joining a multiplayer game and that went smoothly, but I want to take it out solo too. Probably getting to the point where I should upgrade my gear since I'm mostly using low-MR gear right now.

Shogun Ceanataur tore me apart, lol. I actually just ended up joining a multiplayer game and that went smoothly, but I want to take it out solo too. Probably getting to the point where I should upgrade my gear since I'm mostly using low-MR gear right now.

After I switched from my Valstrax crit/revenge build when I grabbed an exhaust swax, I ran with the ingot armor set, until I met my best buddy Almudron again.

Now he goes everywhere with me.

Because I'm wearing him.

Also, I just found out Rondine, the trader in disguise,
is a Swag Axer
. Which means Rondine is the best sister.

Yeah, those claws come out fast and hurt and the bleed can put you in a bad spot at the worst time. Shogun Ceanataur was the first MR monster I ran into which I had to respect at all times, because it was able to cart me faster than I could switch into serious mode.

What's nice about the crab is it did remind me to find a spot on the radial menu for well-done steak / sushifish early, and way before I would have learned to regret not having a way to stop bleeding asap.

I finally swapped out my high rank armor for MR4, and already my defense is a hundred points higher than maxed out valstrax, and my armor skills are better than they've ever been lol

For hammer:
  • Max attack boost
  • Max crit eye
  • Max crit boost
  • Max weakness exploit
  • Max speed sharpening
  • Max stamina thief
  • One point of wirebug whisperer
  • One point of flinch free
  • A few leftover random skills and single deco slots

And all this with pretty much no farming yet. Damn I can't wait till I get to the endgame armor and finally get to slot in stuff like focus and earplugs like I've always wanted. Minmaxing mixed sets is one of my favorite parts of Monster Hunter

Knocked my rust off, and I am addicted to this game again. Probably gonna be my main focus till Xenoblade 3 at this point.

Can't play until I finish a FFXIV obligation, but I have been keeping track of what's been going on in my own little niche corner of MonHun land. As predicted, GS is absolutely turbobusted in the final build. Strongarm loop tech is nuts, and with the armor skill availability there are already Offensive Guard, max damage stat builds demolishing some monsters.

I do think switching scrolls is REALLY strong and interesting on GS too and opens up builds at the same time. TCS + RS availability in the same match up is really good, and also changes things like how you want to budget Focus (since Focus can be skipped on 100% Strongarm uptime). That's going to be where builds diverge quite a bit, which should be interesting to see.

Last edited:
biiiiiiiitch

my copy just arrived (cause im a cheap ass hoe and i aint buying it on the eshop for that $60 standalone DLC price when I can buy the Rise + SB bundle for the same price then sell rise for $$$)

lets GOOOOO

im hella hyped

Just had a tense as hell fight with shagaru magala Jesus
Friend fainted twice early on, whole hunt took like 34 minutes
We were so tense the entire time, and its laser attacks are ridiculous

I'm kinda worried we're getting to the end. Elder dragon quests just unlocked and we already beat all three lords

Just had a tense as hell fight with shagaru magala Jesus
Friend fainted twice early on, whole hunt took like 34 minutes
We were so tense the entire time, and its laser attacks are ridiculous

I'm kinda worried we're getting to the end. Elder dragon quests just unlocked and we already beat all three lords
You’re getting towards the credits. The ‘end’ though… not so much.

You’re getting towards the credits. The ‘end’ though… not so much.
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. I'm guessing the final boss is my next urgent quest. Obviously I'll still have a bunch of extra unlocks once my MR uncaps, and still need to clear out the ton of quests I skipped so far. Hopefully some new endgame loop/mechanic/monster type too

Hello, I am back from Elgado. Great game! The endgame loop seems solid as well. Now I am ready to get some endgame armor and try out Great Sword next after my Hunting Horn collection is complete :). I am currently MR20.

Furthermore, post game spoilers:
what is this Afflicted Azuros. People saying that they turned from teddybear to grizzly weren't wrong. My god D:

Last edited:
What is it? They caved to those weird veterans that need chore incentives to keep playing the game?
think of it like hyper/frenzied monsters from other games. Stronger versions of monsters you fought before with a small mechanic attached. The monsters have weakspots that need to be destroyed else they explode and do massive damage to you. Whenever you explode them they do damage to the monster. It is a fun way of using low rank monsters and give them another showing and not being a pushover. Honestly I dont think it is bad.

They are used for Outfit+ Vouchers and ways to put some of your weapons to Rarity 10 :)

Just started the DLC, for some random reason my friends bought or really started playing the game, so I've been alternating some early base game hub missions with the sunbreak ones, but I've been enjoying what I've played. Hopefully my group will be soon ready to take on the sunbreak quests together, the game gets so much more fun playing like this.
A question to veterans, I've been playing SnS for most of the game, but since one of my friends is favoring this weapon as well I've been trying to take on new weapons and got curious about the Charge Blade, I don't really enjoy weapons that makes your movement too slow, and CB seems to be really technical, specially compared to the noob friendly SnS. Is this a good weapon you'd recommend making all the effort to learn? And how much of a bad idea is to learn it while soloing the sunbreak story mode?

Just started the DLC, for some random reason my friends bought or really started playing the game, so I've been alternating some early base game hub missions with the sunbreak ones, but I've been enjoying what I've played. Hopefully my group will be soon ready to take on the sunbreak quests together, the game gets so much more fun playing like this.
A question to veterans, I've been playing SnS for most of the game, but since one of my friends is favoring this weapon as well I've been trying to take on new weapons and got curious about the Charge Blade, I don't really enjoy weapons that makes your movement too slow, and CB seems to be really technical, specially compared to the noob friendly SnS. Is this a good weapon you'd recommend making all the effort to learn? And how much of a bad idea is to learn it while soloing the sunbreak story mode?
It's technical so the most fun! To resume you need to quickly fill your phial to get the red super shield which open the mega elemental attack.
An attack that you can spam with the guard silkbind which fill all your phials when you blocked and you get to unleash that attack directly after.
Transforming the weapon and some moves have guard points which put your shield forward in certain frames and result in blocking attacks.
I never get enough of this weapon.

No one joined me to beat tetranodon, the hp pool is crazy, 20mn of unleashing element attack on its head...
It's not solo friendly.

It's technical so the most fun! To resume you need to quickly fill your phial to get the red super shield which open the mega elemental attack.
An attack that you can spam with the guard silkbind which fill all your phials when you blocked and you get to unleash that attack directly after.
Transforming the weapon and some moves have guard points which put your shield forward in certain frames and result in blocking attacks.

No one joined me to beat tetranodon, the hp pool is crazy, 20mn of unleashing element attack on its head...
It's not solo friendly.
Sounds a bit daunting when explained, but I'll give it a go both solo and with my friends, maybe it ends up being my "with friends" weapon while I still solo with the SnS.
It's funny how some weapons feel so different when playing solo (or even randos) and with friends in voice chat.
It helps that my friends are still choosing and learning their preferred weapons and everything is kind of new to them as well, so it won't be the case that I'm ruining someone that has limited time to play and want to go for a very efficient hunt.

Currently at MR 30, so damn addicting...this game is really dangerous lol.
I'm trying to take it easy, still MR2 and my hunting group kinda want to play more but I'm only playing 2 hours with them. Since you are MR30, have you finished all the content, how long have you played?

I'm trying to take it easy, still MR2 and my hunting group kinda want to play more but I'm only playing 2 hours with them. Since you are MR30, have you finished all the content, how long have you played?
Depends how you play. You can blast through the story and that can be finished within maybe 20 hours or so? But if you want to do most quests and sidequests it will take much longer.

I'm currently at MR 51 and there's still INSANE amount of content to go through, specifically the endgame content, there's so many quests. I think I've played over 30 hours already lol.

I like the afflicted monster quests. A big complaint around MHR was there wasn’t anything to gain from fighting the Apex creatures, whereas here there’s rank 10 weapons for everything, literally dozens. No longer are the highest tier restricted to a handful of endgame creatures . I quite like the Aksonom lance just because it looks cool, so it was cool being able to upgrade it so it’s on par with other endgame kit.

Rampage decorations offer so much more flexibility than being restricted to 2-3 ‘ramped up’ options in MHR too.

Just reached MR30. Soloed the urgent, online hunters still struggling a bit there.

Last edited:

It's not solo friendly.

Charge blade is a ton of fun, and actually landing guard points on purpose has always felt amazing. But it is definitely very very technical.

I remember one of the nch monhun shots where I think all the hunters were trying to convince a newcomer to use their weapon of choice, and charge blade dragged him into a room with a projector showing a spreadsheet and put him to sleep.

Still didn't get my copy of MHR back, so I haven't played Sunbreak yet. But it's okay, this allows me to finish up some other games in my backlog.

Question for those that are far into/done with the expansion. How does it compare to Iceborne?

Still didn't get my copy of MHR back, so I haven't played Sunbreak yet. But it's okay, this allows me to finish up some other games in my backlog.

Question for those that are far into/done with the expansion. How does it compare to Iceborne?

I personally enjoy it more than Iceborn atm. But I like the more faster paced combat anyway so Sunbreak just gives me more with that with more diversity. But both expansion are masterpieces.

Finished the tutorial.

Overall i really enjoyed, the monsters feel super hyperactive to the point that it can be super annoying and frustating the first time you fight it, but on repeat the fights become really thrilling, specially when you stop panic-healing or panic-wirefalling (thinking about you Steve).

If there is something i didn't like and i feel like i'm in the minority is Elgado, i liked Kamura so much more. Elgado feels boring and bland.

I personally enjoy it more than Iceborn atm. But I like the more faster paced combat anyway so Sunbreak just gives me more with that with more diversity. But both expansion are masterpieces.
Thanks! I enjoy base Rise more than base World. I was hoping Sunbreak improves it as much as Iceborne did to World, which is what it sounds like!

If there is something i didn't like and i feel like i'm in the minority is Elgado, i liked Kamura so much more. Elgado feels boring and bland.
I also think Elgado is a bit boring/simple/basic, but I stop caring about that kind of stuff pretty quickly. First reaction is always the scope and vibe of a place, but once I get over those things I care a lot more about the function. Elgado having everything close together in one room is perfect. I also had this issue with bullshit investigations, track gathering and more involved story in World; it makes the game feel more "epic" or makes people feel like they got more value for their money, but it's a slog to play through and just bloats the experience. Rise + Sunbreak streamlined everything and that includes the hub, which I've come to vastly appreciate. Elgado is emblematic of that

Thanks! I enjoy base Rise more than base World. I was hoping Sunbreak improves it as much as Iceborne did to World, which is what it sounds like!
It may have done less monsters (I still would have loved more monsters for sure) but the entire package is just good so :p

It may have done less monsters (I still would have loved more monsters for sure) but the entire package is just good so :p
Yeah, the amount of monsters is a letdown, but hopefully they make it up with the free title updates!

I am taking my sweet time and am absolutely 100% in love with Sunbreak and everything it offers. Currently MR3 (almost MR4) but there is so. much. stuff. to do! Also, the Follower Quests are truly amazing, the AI is really, really excellent. Not overpowered or anything and also not useless. Really cool to hunt with these NPC's every now and then :)

I like Elgado functionally, but I prefer Kamura visually.

The little Felyne train is cool though.

Count me in the Kamura camp, too.

Benefits of the condensed layout and the folding of the gathering hub into the regular hub aside, it's glaring how a town ostensibly designed to take advantage of wirebug movement has so many more invisible walls than were ever apparant in Kamura.

And I'm more fond of the people who inhabit Kamura, too. Compared to the NPCs of Elgado, like for like, I think the only categories where Sunbreak wins is the Blacksmith and the Arena Master. Fiorayne and the Palicoe train score points, yes, but don't have obvious counterparts, and Chichae and her bag is at least competitive with the Shrine Maidens and their love of Dango and low art self-esteem.

Back
Top Bottom