• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

Plato

Totes yeet, very pog
Pronouns
he/him
imagezuj82.jpg

(Credits to mazi for the banner)

Release Date: June 30th, 2022, January 20th 2023 (Base game for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5), Spring 2023 (Sunbreak for Xbox One/Series X|S, PS4/PS5)
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Steam, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5
Price: $39.99 (Sunbreak standard, base game for non-Nintendo/non-Steam platforms), $49.99 (Sunbreak digital deluxe), $69.99 (Rise + Sunbreak double set)
Number of Players: 1-4 online and local wireless
Publisher/Developer: Capcom
Genre: Action/RPG, Hunting
File Size: 10.1GB (Switch), ~22GB (Steam)
Requires the base Monster Hunter Rise game in order to access, and requires completion of the 7* Hub Quest Serpent Goddess of Thunder
Review Thread

Game Information:
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is an expansion to the original Monster Hunter Rise, similar to Iceborne or previous "Ultimate" versions of past Monster Hunter titles. Now that Kamura Village is at peace from the rampages, journey to Elgado to resume the hunt against monsters both new and returning in Master Rank.

New Features:
Sunbreak features expanded movesets for each of the 14 weapon types with new Silkbinds and Switch Skills for each, which you can view for all weapons here.

Sunbreak also introduces the ability to switch between 2 customizable sets of Silkbind and Switch Skills on the fly during a hunt with the Switch Skill Swap. You can also perform a Swap Evade after switching to close the gap or maintain distance from a monster.

Sunbreak also adds Follower Collab Quests, single-player only quests where you and one of the major NPCs from Kamura or Elgado (controlled by an AI) can go on a hunt. These characters all have their own preferred weapons and fighting styles but they can be customized to your preference. Deepen your friendship with these characters to be able to take them on normal quests.
follower_character-0628.png

From left to right: Master Arlow, Dame Luchika, Admiral Galleus, Sir Jae, Fiorayne, Minoto, Hinoa, Master Utsushi, Fugen the Elder

Other new features include:
-Easier wall running, no longer need to wiredash into a wall to initiate
-New endemic life including Ruby and Gold Wirebugs and Marionette Spiders
-Other QoL tweaks, such as turning off the function to initiate wyvern riding by attacking the monster

Monsters:
Sunbreak adds a total of 17 large monsters to the roster (including the final boss monster). Some are new to Sunbreak, some are returning from previous Monster Hunter games, and some are new versions of monsters introduced in the base game.
monster01.png

Malzeno (new Elder Dragon, flagship for Sunbreak, can inflict a new status called Bloodblight)
monster-full-02.png

Lunagaron (new Fanged Wyvern)
monster02.png

Garangolm (new Fanged Beast)

monster-full-03.png

Shogun Ceanataur (Carapaceon, last appeared in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)
monster04.png

Astalos (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)
monster07.png

Steve Seregios (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MHGU)
monster11.png

Gore Magala (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster10.png

Espinas (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Frontier)
monster12.png

Daimyo Hermitaur (Carapaceon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster14.png

Shagaru Magala (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster16.png

Furious Rajang (Fanged Beast, last appeared in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne)

monster05.png

Blood Orange Bishaten
monster08.png

Aurora Somnacanth
monster09.png

Magma Almudron
monster13.png

Pyre Rakna-Kadaki
monster15.png

Scorned Magnamalo

New Locations:
Sunbreak adds a new hub town and 2 hunting areas in addition to Kamura and the previous 5 areas.
elgado-ss-03.jpg

Elgado, the new hub town, outpost to a kingdom currently besieged by Malzeno.

The Citadel, a new hunting area divided into 3 different biomes: fortress ruins, swamp, and icy mountains.
field_bg_08.png

The Jungle, an area originally added in Monster Hunter 2.

Post-Launch Title Updates:
Much like Rise, Iceborne, and World, Sunbreak will receive free title updates adding in new monsters to fight. The current roadmap:
roadmap-en.jpg

• August 10th: Lucent Nargacuga, Seething Bazelguese, Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian, Forlorn Arena, new Afflicted monsters, Anomaly Investigations and Qurious Crafting
  • September 29th: Flaming Espinas, Violet Mizutsune, Risen Chameleos, new Anomaly quests, layered weapons
  • November 24th: Chaotic Gore Magala, Risen Kushala Daora + Teostra, new Anomaly quests, take Followers on more quests
  • February 7th: Velkhana, Risen Crimson Glow Valstrax, Risen elder dragons in Anomaly quests
  • April 20th: Amatsu, Risen Shagaru Magala, Special Investigations
  • June 8th: Primordial Malzeno
See next post for all TU monsters.

FAQ:
Q: What are the system requirements for the PC version?

A: System requirements are the same as they were for the base game, found here.

Q: I'm starting Rise for the first time, is getting Sunbreak a good idea?
A: Sunbreak's content is only available after the base story for Rise, so if you're just starting you won't see any benefit from buying Sunbreak. As for the gameplay/balance changes, those are added for free in the pre-patch for Rise, so everyone has access to those regardless of if you bought Sunbreak or not.

Q: Does this have cross-play or cross-save between the different platforms?
A: Unfortunately no, because Capcom did not develop Rise to be able to use cross-play or cross-save. They are aware it's a feature that people want however, so hopefully the next game will allow it.

Q: Is there amiibo support for the Switch version?
A: Yep! There are a total of 6 amiibo for Monster Hunter Rise (3 for the base game, 3 for Sunbreak). Using the amiibo grants you a set of layered armor for your hunter, palico, or palamute depending on which amiibo you scan.

Last edited:
If there's anything you think should be added to the OP, say so and I'll add it. Currently I'm already planning on updating it as new title updates release.

monster17.png

Lucent Nargacuga (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
monster18.png

Seething Bazelgeuse (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MHW:I)
monster19.png

Silver Rathalos (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MHW:I)
monster20.png

Gold Rathian (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in MHW:I)
monster21.png

Flaming Espinas (Flying Wyvern, last appeared in Monster Hunter Frontier)
monster22.png

Violet Mizutsune (new)
monster23.png

Risen Chameleos (new)
monster26.png

Risen Kushala Daora (new)
monster25.png

Risen Teostra (new)
monster24.png

Chaotic Gore Magala (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)
monster28.png

Risen Crimson Glow Valstrax (new)
monster27.png

Velkhana (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHW:I)
monster30.png

Risen Shagaru Magala (new)
monster29.png

Amatsu (Elder Dragon, last appeared in MHGU)

monster31.png

Primordial Malzeno (Elder Dragon, new)

Last edited:
The DLC is already available for the Japanese and Australians! I was supposed to be going to bed but considering I have the day off, late night crab hunting it is.

FWbx1bnVsAIF2k7

So excited for this, but my bad luck is just too much. Been waiting for this basically since Rise came out and yesterday my internet just stopped working and isn't working today. My ISP said a technician will take a look at it tomorrow.

F.

Aw yessss. Can’t wait to immediately obsolete my legendary thunder serpent armor and put on some vampire dragon pants.

Well for anyone interested, very first mission in SB is Crab/Hermitaur. Here's a pic I took in absolute panic because he ran at me when I pulled the camera out.

FWb2dlpVUAAYmgE

Excited to play this once it's open here! The new monsters seem really rad and I'm curious to try the stuff with followers.

But above all... I'm so ready to play fashion souls with everyone else 😄

I kept debating MH Rise but with this DLC I may finally dive in and pickup both. My first MH games was World on PS4 and enjoyed the Rise demo I checked out recently.

Nice ST. Not sure if I'll get this right now, other games demanding my attention! But looking forward to when I do.

Excited to play this once it's open here! The new monsters seem really rad and I'm curious to try the stuff with followers.

But above all... I'm so ready to play fashion souls with everyone else 😄
Fashion Hunter is the my main motivation for this game.

PS: Great job on the ST!

Just played a few missions I am missing from the high rank events, but tbh I rather start sunbreak now. Come on Capcom let me play!!!

Important question for you guys: So I bought the game on Steam sale because I liked MH World a lot, but haven't installed Rise yet. I keep reading about lots of quality of life changes Sunbreak adds to the game. How are these changes added? Are they added in the way that those changes comes up when I start up the game or later?

As in, is there any point in playing MH Rise without Sunbreak?

Important question for you guys: So I bought the game on Steam sale because I liked MH World a lot, but haven't installed Rise yet. I keep reading about lots of quality of life changes Sunbreak adds to the game. How are these changes added? Are they added in the way that those changes comes up when I start up the game or later?

As in, is there any point in playing MH Rise without Sunbreak?
What kind of QoL changes did you read about? If it's balance changes and options, those will be in the base game without the need to have Sunbreak.

If you're talking about stuff like new skills from gear, you'll need access to Sunbreak and get gear from the new monsters and/or Master Rank hunts.

You won't be missing anything playing through village quests in the base game. It's until you finish the specified 7* hub quest that you'll need Sunbreak. So I'd say, play the base game to see if you'll like it. Then you can decide if you want Sunbreak.

What kind of QoL changes did you read about? If it's balance changes and options, those will be in the base game without the need to have Sunbreak.

If you're talking about stuff like new skills from gear, you'll need access to Sunbreak and get gear from the new monsters and/or Master Rank hunts.

You won't be missing anything playing through village quests in the base game. It's until you finish the specified 7* hub quest that you'll need Sunbreak. So I'd say, play the base game to see if you'll like it. Then you can decide if you want Sunbreak.

Thanks, that's what I needed.

Wonder if my VPN can trick this.....
I think it might be based on the region you bought the expansion in, not the region you live in (or pretend to via VPN), I bought it from the US eshop but live in Europe and it hasn't unlocked for me yet even though it's almost 1am here.

I think it might be based on the region you bought the expansion in, not the region you live in (or pretend to via VPN), I bought it from the US eshop but live in Europe and it hasn't unlocked for me yet even though it's almost 1am here.

Awww, booooooo.

Getting back into the nuances and the mechanics of the game has been tough. I’m at rank 7 so I can’t access sunbreak yet…are there any good videos/tutorials just reviewing the mechanics of the game?

The new dango cutscene song has no lyrics.

This game sucks. Worst Monster Hunter Rise expansion ever.

Just played through the first quest and did a thorough exploration of the new hub.

Without spoiling who it is, the former was a fun fight; just the right balance of challenging and thrilling but not frustrating, and the latter is very cool, especially the new characters.
The way the new endemic life has been retrofitted into the old maps nice.
Also, it may sound like a small thing, but being able to wall run without using a wirebug is an awesome quality of life tweak that makes things feel that much smoother and more seamless.

So far so great, can't wait to get properly stuck into it this evening!

Master rank armor looks the same? Was Iceborne the same? MH4U G Rank armor looked different
Most higher tier are different but the lower tier ones like Arzuros are the same it looks like.

Last edited:
Oh uh, I was expecting hermitaur to be a bit harder. But I guess it's scaled for people who beat the story, so me rolling in with my valstrax armor was probably overkill. Well, off to the real master rank quests now

Oh uh, I was expecting hermitaur to be a bit harder. But I guess it's scaled for people who beat the story, so me rolling in with my valstrax armor was probably overkill. Well, off to the real master rank quests now
lol, I had the exact same experience. He even knocked me around a bit at first but the damage was so low.

He does have some nice range and movement though, a definite upgrade from Gen 4.

Have played a couple hours of this. Absolutely love the new hub world and how spacious it is instead of being mostly confined to a small room in base Rise. Really like Jungle so far too even though I’ve only been there twice.

The new hub is really cool, I like the new characters too. The little train is very cute, as is the cat fishing off the dock.

So many new sub-mechanics for tinkering with buddies and whatnot, pretty sure I’m not gonna use all of them but it’s nice that it’s there.

I’d forgotten about the photo quests, I remember taking pictures of farting bombadgies in MHR.

I’m at the end of master rank 3 and not feeling the need to upgrade my kit yet, but then I’m in maxed out dragon gear from the end of MHR. I made a nice new crab weapon that gave me a hefty damage and defence boost though, that seems to have been enough to carry me through so far.

The new rampage decoration slots in weapons are a lot more varied and allow for more build tinkering than the old ramped-up weapon option.

Jungle is fun but citadel is huge! Looking forward to just a relaxed expedition to explore it.

Just hit MR3! I've been having a good time so far, not much fashion hunter just yet but the variants/monsters so far were neat. It feels weird improvising gear again after so long with the same set.

I like the new hub, it's got a nice layout and it's really cozy.

Currently half way through MR3 and I have yet to change my HR set lol. But mannnnnn, I'm ADDICTED. The fast pace combat with the switch skill is freaking sublime and that special seathe with LS? I'm doing freaking 1k+ dmg lmao.

Rise end-game armor holds up for a few Master Ranks.

Rise end-game weapons are obsolete almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom