• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak |ST| What is a hunter? A miserable little pile of carts

I was thinking that about the monster fights, I have tried to subconsciously slow down the fights but I have found I can just go all out and it doesn’t affect me too much.

With weapons upgrades, do some open as you beat certain monsters? I noticed in the upgrade menu some of the options are unavailable or behind a big ?
Usually you’ll only get the option appear when you get the first monster part needed for it, I think. But you’ll gradually see huuuuge lists of weapons and upgrades open up! Don’t forget to use use the scraps you get from crafting gear at the blacksmith to craft gear for your buddies at the buddy blacksmith next to them.

Usually you’ll only get the option appear when you get the first monster part needed for it, I think. But you’ll gradually see huuuuge lists of weapons and upgrades open up! Don’t forget to use use the scraps you get from crafting gear at the blacksmith to craft gear for your buddies at the buddy blacksmith next to them.

Yeah I’ve kitted my buddies out and they are looking hip haha

I’ve stuck with Dual Blades so far, might try the bow gun tho as that looks cool

I'm catching up on Sunbreak content since I last played before FTU2. The Aurortle in the camp for the Flaming Espinas Urgent is a total troll.

First cart to two-hit combo finished off by poison. Second cart to ultimate nuke with poison tick. Third card to surprise second nuke after barely getting out of the way of the first. Espinas always had my number more than it should, but adding an unblockable multi-hit one-shot has taken the fight from bowling shoe ugly to actually lethal.

Just beat Magnamalo and had some credits roll, is that the end of the ‘story mode’ portion? I am now officially in the post game?
You’ve finished the low rank campaign. Head into the hub to find the high rank campaign against Narwa- it’s not so much ‘post game’ as ‘the other half of the base game that’s slightly more difficult’, as all high rank monsters drop higher rank materials. Best Narwa and you can head on into Sunbreak’s master rank campaign too.

I’d say beating Narwa counts as reaching the end of MHR, but beating Magnamalo in Low Rank at least let’s you roll credits and take it as a jumping off point if you want to go play something else :)

You’ve finished the low rank campaign. Head into the hub to find the high rank campaign against Narwa- it’s not so much ‘post game’ as ‘the other half of the base game that’s slightly more difficult’, as all high rank monsters drop higher rank materials. Best Narwa and you can head on into Sunbreak’s master rank campaign too.

I’d say beating Narwa counts as reaching the end of MHR, but beating Magnamalo in Low Rank at least let’s you roll credits and take it as a jumping off point if you want to go play something else :)

Cool, I defo will stick with it and do more quests as I really like it and feel like I’m getting to grips with it more and more.

Cool, I defo will stick with it and do more quests as I really like it and feel like I’m getting to grips with it more and more.
Once MH gets its teeth into you it’s incredibly additive. I’ve got like 500+ hours logged in Rise/Sunbreak now, and while I’m pretty much finished up with it until the next update, i know I could start learning a new weapon and that would add a ton more to it. The whole series never gets old for me, you only keep getting better as a hunter and tinkering with gear.

Once MH gets its teeth into you it’s incredibly additive. I’ve got like 500+ hours logged in Rise/Sunbreak now, and while I’m pretty much finished up with it until the next update, i know I could start learning a new weapon and that would add a ton more to it. The whole series never gets old for me, you only keep getting better as a hunter and tinkering with gear.

I may grab Sunbreak at some point in the future once I’ve gone through more of the base game stuff. I think having this version be handheld means it’s given me more opportunity to play more of it which has helped.

I may grab Sunbreak at some point in the future once I’ve gone through more of the base game stuff. I think having this version be handheld means it’s given me more opportunity to play more of it which has helped.
Yeah. For me it’s also helped by being able to take npc allies with you to tackle the online quests all offline. Made it much easier to chip away on my commute.

Currently at 175 over here, just setting up all my elemental Lance sets..... probably won't get them rounded out before the update lands, but that's all right

Took a bit of a break from the game, but finally got back into it this past week pretty heavily. On the startup screen I got the update notes for two of the last major updates so I had quite a bit to catch up on. Making my way up to MR100 now.
  • Being able to take followers into pretty much any quest is a great addition. Also gives event quests a bit more purpose as you can't take followers into those.
  • The layered armour sets they've been adding to event quests is so much better than what we got with the base game. Honestly would have rather had more of this than the Akuma and Arthur sets, which I feel fell a bit flat (admittedly I say this as a female hunter). This is my first Monster Hunter (so still not the best), but was pretty chuffed I managed to beat that fight a Gold Rathian in the arena event solo.
  • I really need to learn to put together more efficient sets, especially now that elements are useful. I've pretty much stuck with the one weapon (exhaust switch axe) this entire time lol. Though I have recently moved to a sleep inducing one and it's quite fun just sending the monster to sleep all the time, especially as my two buddies use sleep weapons too.

Ok so it lands tomorrow. We’re getting Amatsu and Risen Shaguru. Anomaly cap now goes up to 300 which unlocks special investigations, a new quest type where the monsters get stuff like bigger breath weapons.

There was also a teaser at the end-
Final monster being added in June

My current Anomaly level is about 205 or 206. I did finish my lance sets, it turns out!

Really looking forward to fighting Amatsu. I never got Iceborne, so this'll be my first time throwing down with an endgame monster for an expansion. Reallly looking forward to seeing its armor and weapons!

Shagaru was probably the hardest monster for me in pre-anomaly Sunbreak, so I'm gritting my teeth in preparation for the Risen version, but I'm sure its armor is going to be sick and the fight should be a lot more fun now that I've shifted over to lance

The June monster looks and sounds like a Malzeno variant, which would be a reasonable ending for the qurio storyline—the little dudes have been gathering blood for someone, after all

I like the idea of the level 300 super-ultra-mega-difficult quests, but I don't know if I have it in me to grind that far. Too much coming out, now

My current Anomaly level is about 205 or 206. I did finish my lance sets, it turns out!

Really looking forward to fighting Amatsu. I never got Iceborne, so this'll be my first time throwing down with an endgame monster for an expansion. Reallly looking forward to seeing its armor and weapons!

Shagaru was probably the hardest monster for me in pre-anomaly Sunbreak, so I'm gritting my teeth in preparation for the Risen version, but I'm sure its armor is going to be sick and the fight should be a lot more fun now that I've shifted over to lance

The June monster looks and sounds like a Malzeno variant, which would be a reasonable ending for the qurio storyline—the little dudes have been gathering blood for someone, after all

I like the idea of the level 300 super-ultra-mega-difficult quests, but I don't know if I have it in me to grind that far. Too much coming out, now
Yeah I’m down to take on the new fights but that’s a long grind for just some super tough versions of what I’ve fought already. Reckon I’ll likely take on Amatsu and Shaguru, make the armour then head over to play Advance Wars until Zelda comes out.

Yeah I’m down to take on the new fights but that’s a long grind for just some super tough versions of what I’ve fought already. Reckon I’ll likely take on Amatsu and Shaguru, make the armour then head over to play Advance Wars until Zelda comes out.
Yeeeeah

At the very extreme end I'd make new builds with the armor, but it's a big ask at this point. After I make the armor (and maybe some weapons) that'll be about it

I'm kind of relieved that we know when the final variant is landing. I'll come back in June, and then I'll probably put the game down for good

Yeeeeah

At the very extreme end I'd make new builds with the armor, but it's a big ask at this point. After I make the armor (and maybe some weapons) that'll be about it

I'm kind of relieved that we know when the final variant is landing. I'll come back in June, and then I'll probably put the game down for good
Yeah can’t complain really. I’ve been playing Rise since launch and a year of support for Sunbreak feels about right. I’ve got 500+ hours in it at this point, it’s good to draw a line under things and move on at some point. Eager to see what’s next for MonHun!

Well with only one update left I can say Rise disappointed me a little. I still had fun with it and Sunbreak did some cool stuff, but it just feels like an objective downgrade from Iceborne. The event hubs with changing decor, the great roster and updates, and one of best fights in the series in Fatalis definitely weren't matched.

Still, it was a pretty good ride. I'd probably rank it like my 4th favourite in the series? Something like MH4U - Iceborne - 3U - Sunbreak.

I gotta say, the Amatsu fight really sent off a certain mechanic with a bang

Apex Zinogre shaking off the wirebugs, only for Amatsu to hit it again and make it ridable... man

The whole clash between Apex Zinogre and Amatsu was great. Getting that hype Rise version of Zinogre's theme through the whole sequence... mwa. Fantastic

On a lore level I liked that it re-established that, on some level, the Apexes are still the monsters in this version of the setting you want to mess with the least. This hyper elder dragon that can destroy a whole nation is going to get its stuff slapped if it crosses one, even if Amatsu wins the fight. Risen elder dragons are scary and all... but you don't mess with the Apexes. Which is nice. I always liked them

My only wish is that the other Apexes show up with similar bananas sequences when replaying the mission, like with Narwa, but I absolutely cannot imagine that they go to that much trouble

Fun fight! Now to rest for a bit before I go after Risen Shagaru

....the new melding methods are bonkers. Some of the stuff I'm getting out of this is downright spine-tingling. Crit Boost 2, Recovery Up 3, 2-2-2??????? Hello????

Loving the Amatsu fight, it’s a really cool sendoff for Rise as you need to be able to use the wirebugs

Amatsu defeated!
Holy moly what a spectacle. Between all the rain, lightning, particles, 4 players, 4 buddies, and a ginormous dragon all filling the screen, my poor Switch could hardly keep up. The fight itself was a challenge, but not to the point of being frustrating.
The way the storm clears and the sun shines when you win was a nice touch.

Looking forward to one last hurrah in June. With the end in sight, Rise as a whole has an awesome ride.

Amatsu defeated!
Holy moly what a spectacle. Between all the rain, lightning, particles, 4 players, 4 buddies, and a ginormous dragon all filling the screen, my poor Switch could hardly keep up. The fight itself was a challenge, but not to the point of being frustrating.
The way the storm clears and the sun shines when you win was a nice touch.

Looking forward to one last hurrah in June. With the end in sight, Rise as a whole has an awesome ride.
Yeah it was really cool. The new Qurious Melding you unlock afterwards gives crazy powerful charms, wow.

Risen Shaguru is also a bit violent. Wiped out three teams I’ve been part of so far. Might have to do it solo.

One of the only things holding back the "pick your skill and you're guaranteed to get it" melding we had before was that the amount of secondary skills/slots you could have was slightly lower

That doesn't feel like the case with Cyclus? These charms are just... they're just bananas. They're so bananas that it's kind of fun to get them, all on their own

God protect me from the wrath of Risen Shagaru Magala

I've triple-carted six or seven times at this point. This thing is a nightmare. The chip damage it does to Lance is so ridiculous that I've had to bring two heal cats and Hinoa and Minoto, and it's still managed to whoop me. And I don't know its moveset nearly well enough to handle it with Hammer

Shagaru was my hardest fight in base Sunbreak by a pretty wide margin, so maybe that's affecting me here, but good gravy. If people want a nightmare challenge from this title update, Risen Shagaru Magala makes Risen Valstrax feel like a joke, to me

Last edited:
holy shit that was one of the hardest recent mh fights EVER

anyone who says rise is too easy should try fighting this guy
Yeah Primordial Malzeno has combos for days and hits like a ton of bricks. Great fight!

I’m a bit confused about the cut scene after you beat it though

Fiorayne goes on about Malzeno not being your true enemy, ‘there’s a true adversary’, being the Qurios presumably. Are there more quests to come as an event or something? Or is it just implied that Fio and the hunter pile in to help Malzeno kill more Qurios? Just felt like it was hinting at more, given the story of Malzeno ‘purifying’ being taken as them fighting off the Qurios and we don’t really see them definitively defeated. Or maybe it’s the translation? Certainly seems like the ending with Malzeno heading off into a beautiful sunny sky. Sunbreak indeed!

Last edited:
Beat him. Holy cow what an amazing fight. It walks the razor's edge of being hard as diamond nails yet fair, and it beautifully encapsulates that primal thrill that makes Monster Hunter so captivating.
By the time the bastard finally went down after 4 failed quests, I felt like a caveman who'd felled a woolly mammoth.

What a fitting finale to an amazing game. I've had my criticisms of Capcom's support for Switch, but this one they absolutely hit out of the park. As far as I'm concerned, now all's said and done, Rise stands tall as the finest third party title on the Switch.

Beat him. Holy cow what an amazing fight. It walks the razor's edge of being hard as diamond nails yet fair, and it beautifully encapsulates that primal thrill that makes Monster Hunter so captivating.
By the time the bastard finally went down after 4 failed quests, I felt like a caveman who'd felled a woolly mammoth.

What a fitting finale to an amazing game. I've had my criticisms of Capcom's support for Switch, but this one they absolutely hit out of the park. As far as I'm concerned, now all's said and done, Rise stands tall as the finest third party title on the Switch.
I’ve been playing Rise/Sunbreak pretty much every week since March 2021. I’ve got something like 470 hours logged in the game. I fell off the anomaly grind at the end (the jump from 220 to 300 was too high), but otherwise have finished up all the quests. What a stunning game. Every time I see people say ‘but there isn’t a black dragon’ or ‘maybe it could have had x big event quest’, I think back to how much content there is in Rise, how many times it’s been ‘the end’ and how often there’s been even more hunts. It feels weird to actually reach the end of the game, but also ending on a high when Primordial Malzeno feels like one of the best fights in the game. Just a fast, dangerous opponent where all your skills are relevant. Some games like to add in some complete change of pace for final battles where your prior skills mean little, but this is just classic monster hunter, with a final, brief cut scene that feels like an elegant, classy sendoff to a long-ass campaign. Great gear you can make too.

I think this has been one of my favourite ever few months in gaming. Octopath II was stunning and gave me (probably) a new favourite JRPG, then Advance Wars, then ToTK, then MH Rise finishes strong. I don’t know what’s next on the Switch but I’m pretty sure the last few months are a high point for me.

The Hazard version of the Primordial Malzeno you unlock afterwards is pretty gnarly too. Wow that one’s intense.

Back
Top Bottom