• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruh...was Astalos always THIS aggressive and fast? Jeez lol.

I found him easier with Switch Axe as opposed to LS and damn, SA counter is insanely busted and satisfying.
It is a g-rank version of him. I think a lot of players are perhaps a little rusty and the demo is a brutal reminder of the jump from high rank up to there

Think I've got my fill of the demo for now at least (we'll see if that changes immediately once I see someone do literally any cool thing with any weapon online)

Overall, pretty fun as expected. Astalos is a pretty fun fight, it was my first time fighting him and my first G-rank experience so he was kicking my ass most of the time. Still managed to beat him with most weapons with less than 3 faints, but it was pretty close for a lot of them, even some of my better ones. Only one I managed zero faints with was Dual Blades but Dual Blades are basically just cheating in Rise

Tried Malzeno exactly once, he was fun but I'm not nearly good enough at this game to even attempt to beat his souped-up version. Great moveset though, both the Rise and Sunbreak flagships have been on-point for me

I'm pretty sure they said they'd reveal more in the future or something during the Capcom Showcase? I can't rewatch it now but I vaguely remember the voice over saying that.
Yes. They said in both the presentation and on Twitter there would be more coming. I'd guess 2 Monster reveals, and a tease of the final boss like they did with Ibushi before Rise came out.

My first thought after dipping into the warm-up quests of the demo: the buff-type switch skills that require upkeep and switching between scrolls to maximize DPS are unfun busywork and I dislike the concept.
I get what you mean, but honestly as someone who plays mainly Hunting Horn, I enjoy it. Since it is something HH didn't have yet (other than the songs which happen automatically). We only miss a counter now as HH :p.

My first thought after dipping into the warm-up quests of the demo: the buff-type switch skills that require upkeep and switching between scrolls to maximize DPS are unfun busywork and I dislike the concept.
I’d like to be able to pick and choose exactly which skills I have access to on a build. I don’t get with lance why I have to have anchor rage+twin vine OR spiral thrust+twin vine, when what I really want is anchor rage + either spiral thrust or the new vertical thrust. I’m not overly interested in swapping between sets mid-fight when it seems easier to just let players pick the setup they actually want to a greater degree.

Yes. They said in both the presentation and on Twitter there would be more coming. I'd guess 2 Monster reveals, and a tease of the final boss like they did with Ibushi before Rise came out.

This shows that we could expect more info during the potential Direct somewhere this month. If the Direct is before release could be a cool last semi-launch trailer to hype us up. If it hasn't leaked by then.

Bruh...was Astalos always THIS aggressive and fast? Jeez lol.

I found him easier with Switch Axe as opposed to LS and damn, SA counter is insanely busted and satisfying.

No, definitely not. Well..... In comparisons in relativity to the slower speed of the 2 old style games he was previously in, yeah definitely?

He has definitely been retooled to match the increased mobility and pace of post world, and particularly rise monhun, and it is damn glorious.

Also the counter literally dragged rathian through a blender and spit it out sans tail, and no sold astalos's mega zapperoo blast like a fucking god.

Like not only did I not get damaged but I just nuetralized the blast, it ceased to exist, like I just raised my hand and said 'Nope', and caused it to blink out of reality, without giving an inch.

Wus up lance bros? I got splode shield of the gods.

Astalos is my favorite monster and they really did him justice here, Malzeno looks amazing too and this version of the jungle looks great.

I'm sadly pretty down about the gameplay though, it feels like they doubled down on the issues I had with Rise, it just doesn't feel like MH to me anymore. Maybe I need to try some different weapons but I'm pretty salty about how badly they butchered dual blades (the playstyle, not the powerlevel) and I have no real hope hammer is becoming more fun either. Gonna wait for a couple days after launch to see if the balance changes make a difference before I purchase.

Rise almost feels like a spin-off to me in how far it's removed from the other games in terms of gameplay, which isn'e necessarily a bad thing but there's other games that do what it tries to do better for me.

Rise almost feels like a spin-off to me in how far it's removed from the other games in terms of gameplay,
It certainly is closer to what you'd have gotten if someone took MHG(U), deleted the Guild style from it, and thus forced everyone to use one of the alternative styles. Basically removing the vanilla battle system from four-ish prior gens of MH.

It works for me, as I found GU to be superior on that front to World already, which, while otherwise better in basically any other way, did feel too basic/vanilla for me after first experiencing styles/skills in MHG on 3DS. I get why people would not necessarily warm up to this rather different take on the basic gameplay style, but it definitely feels like the natural evolution for Ichinose and co. coming from GU specifically.

Looking at that image makes me hope they do something more with transport items. Just feels like a mechanic that's just there.

It certainly is closer to what you'd have gotten if someone took MHG(U), deleted the Guild style from it, and thus forced everyone to use one of the alternative styles. Basically removing the vanilla battle system from four-ish prior gens of MH.

It works for me, as I found GU to be superior on that front to World already, which, while otherwise better in basically any other way, did feel too basic/vanilla for me after first experiencing styles/skills in MHG on 3DS. I get why people would not necessarily warm up to this rather different take on the basic gameplay style, but it definitely feels like the natural evolution for Ichinose and co. coming from GU specifically.
I liked GU but I kind of lucked out with that game in the sense my weapons of choice were still mostly grounded there, just with a bit more anime flair. Rise just pushes GU's systems to an extreme I don't really enjoy.

Oof I prolly won't defeat Malzeno in this demo 😅 it's a fun fight though, and it looks great specially in the bloodblight power-up mode
I couldn't defeat Magnamalo in the original demo either xD

Btw Astalos also looks great. It felt a bit difficult to stay close to it due to all the shock spells 🤔

For those who have played it, how is the difficulty?

As amazing as this looks, my one fear is that it might be too hard for me.

I had no trouble with the base game's High Rank, or High Rank in MH 3/4, but I have never played G/Master Rank before, and I have a mild fine motor control impairment that means some games are simply beyond my capabilities.

Oof I prolly won't defeat Malzeno in this demo 😅 it's a fun fight though, and it looks great specially in the bloodblight power-up mode
I couldn't defeat Magnamalo in the original demo either xD

Btw Astalos also looks great. It felt a bit difficult to stay close to it due to all the shock spells 🤔

Getting caught at range in the Zapparoos becomes steadily more complicated over time as they move and split. They always move at a 45 degree angle away from the origin point, but then the split into two each going 45 degrees from that origin point and so on, becoming increasingly harder to keep track of them and everything else.

My suggestion is to close distance front and center if you see the zaps coming, it is much easier to avoid them at the beginning as you can just go straight up the center, and once you are in front of them you're clear.

HOWEVER once you clear them get out of the center, as he will be firing his big globby extra large lightning beach ball down the center next. My earlier posts video actually shows this process quite well, if I don't say so myself.

I had no trouble with the base game's High Rank, or High Rank in MH 3/4, but I have never played G/Master Rank before, and I have a mild fine motor control impairment that means some games are simply beyond my capabilities.
It took me like 4 hours to kill the flagship in the demo but those are usually very overtuned for demo purposes so it's hard to say how difficult the later Sunbreak monsters will be from that. The other available quests in the demo were more difficult than HR but very doable imo. Have you killed any of the apex monsters in Rise? I think if you can handle those you should be mostly fine in MR.

Normally the village gets a lot of HR quests added in the G-rank expansion, so you could start with those and get a feel for the new monsters there if they have quests.

It took me like 4 hours to kill the flagship in the demo but those are usually very overtuned so it's hard to say how difficult the later Sunbreak monsters will be from that. The other available quests in the demo were more difficult than HR but very doable imo. Have you killed any of the apex monsters in Rise? I think if you can handle those you should be mostly fine in MR.

Normally the village gets a lot of HR quests added in the G-rank expansion, so you could start with those and get a feel for the new monsters there if they have quests.
Thanks. :)
If you've played the older games, how does Master Rank in Rise compare to HR in 3/4? I remember the older games being harder than Rise in general.

I think if you had no trouble with High Rank in Rise you'd probably be fine here. It's harder than the base game but not overwhelmingly so.

Thanks. :)
If you've played the older games, how does Master Rank in Rise compare to HR in 3/4? I remember the older games being harder than Rise in general.
It's hard to judge exact difficulty from the demo because you don't get to prepare as much, gear is set in stone, no food buffs, hard to compare to the HR quests in 3/4 because of that (and because I haven't played 4 in a while). It should be fine if you had no issues with the high rank quests in the base game.

Hey guys do we know if there's gonna be way more skills and moves to unlock?

Cuz I don't really see the point of registering Skills loadout if there's only like 1-2 new wirebug skills and no new alternate moves. I haven't watched anything besides 1 or 2 trailers so Idk if Capcom has said anything about this.

Hey guys do we know if there's gonna be way more skills and moves to unlock?

Cuz I don't really see the point of registering Skills loadout if there's only like 1-2 new wirebug skills and no new alternate moves. I haven't watched anything besides 1 or 2 trailers so Idk if Capcom has said anything about this.
Not way more, every weapon will get 1 new switch skill and one new silkbind that aren't available in the demo. Realistically most people will probably make one loadout with the stuff they like best. There's some merit to changing them mid combat for sure though depending on the weapon.

Not way more, every weapon will get 1 new switch skill and one new silkbind that aren't available in the demo. Realistically most people will probably make one loadout with the stuff they like best. There's some merit to changing them mid combat for sure though depending on the weapon.
Oh wow, that kinda sucks. But yeah, switching is an amazing features for me and I was using alot but I wish they would've gone all out and give us alot more new stuff specially when it comes to maps. I don't get why Capcom keeps limiting the main games to 4-5 areas. Imagine a battlefield/Call of Duty with just 5 maps lol. Am I being too greedy? Maybe I'm just mad that I have the perfect MH game right there in my Switch library but I can't enjoy it's slow ass combat anymore. Imagine Generation Ultimate with Rise gameplay, that's the dream, right.

Uuhhh, wth??? IG Kinsect powder looks freaking ridiculous, multiple 200s and even 1k-2k instant explosive damage!?

This might get nerfed big time in the final release lol.

There's a lot of wild stuff in the demo. I'm mostly GS focused and it's bonkers what that weapon can do now. 100% TCS uptime runs incoming.

Uuhhh, wth??? IG Kinsect powder looks freaking ridiculous, multiple 200s and even 1k-2k instant explosive damage!?

This might get nerfed big time in the final release lol.

Powder vortex is a lot of fun, but the higher numbers in the video are based on 4 players' worth of dust clouds

In my experience it typically does 200-600 damage (on Astalos), which is definitely still quite good, but not quite 1k-2k

No kidding, I'm more hyped about the buffed motion values of the bread and butter poke style Lance moves than any fancy new Silkbinds.

Yeah, Hysteria granting TCS a Motion Value bonus, and also having a dodge that lets you redirect TCS on top within the same skill set is legitimately bonkers. Moveswap with Power Sheathe for when you can spare bugs on the buff and it's nasty business. Bug buffs are gonna be pretty big in Sunbreak I feel.

It's pretty trivial to hit between the 8-9 minute mark for a GS kill on the flagship in the demo as long as RNG doesn't screw you over. Sub 7 is possible if you get really clean with it, but it hasn't been hit yet afaik. Has me a bit worried about what the power levels are going to be. It's legitimately insane what they've done to a weapon that was already hitting sub 3 minute kills before.

Weapon trees were datamined and there's weapons for Furious Rajang, a Magnamalo variant (hidden like Ruiner, kind of) and the final boss. This would put the Sunbreak roster at 17 monsters.

Last edited:
Weapon trees were datamined and there's weapons for Furious Rajang, a Magnamalo variant like Ruiner Nergigante and the final boss.
Good to know. I’m so excited for this, I can’t wait to hang out in the new village, forging all kinds of new crazy gear again.

Just got charged for the Sunbreak digital download, wonder if there’s any way for it to download ahead of launch since it’s replacing the base game.

Also got a notification that the Sunbreak amiibo were up for preorder, so grabbed those and noticed they restocked the Stories 2/Rise amiibo I wasn’t able to get last year, which was a nice surprise.

I desperately need to get practicing before next Friday, my performance in the demo was abysmal.

Just got charged for the Sunbreak digital download, wonder if there’s any way for it to download ahead of launch since it’s replacing the base game.

Also got a notification that the Sunbreak amiibo were up for preorder, so grabbed those and noticed they restocked the Stories 2/Rise amiibo I wasn’t able to get last year, which was a nice surprise.

I desperately need to get practicing before next Friday, my performance in the demo was abysmal.
I got the same notification that I’d been charged for Sunbreak. I had a look at my Switch and it had a couple of notifications, firstly that MHR had downloaded something, and secondly that it would be ‘ready on release date’.

Ah excellent, maybe have to shift some things around for next Friday so I can be awake to play a couple of hours Thursday night.
I have to admit I’m crazy excited for it, been looking forward to it so much! Looking forward to getting stuck into the new campaign, the new village, meeting old friends and turning them into hats, all the good MH stuff :D

Fuck ya, just got email notified my pre order activated and sunbreaks being downloaded!
Honestly it’s why I’m not too fussed about the Direct.it’s going to be hard for me to be disappointed when Sunbreak goes live the following day.

Full roster datamined from a review copy supposedly.

cdm8y4ottp791.png

Personally hope there's still a couple missing because while the monsters there are good I would have wished for a few more. Hope they clear up what the endgame system is going to be like soon.

That roster seems about right to me. Two to three more would've been nice, but otherwise it's roughly in the ballpark of what I expected quantity wise. Though I'm surprised that
Pickle
seems to be absent! Solid in terms of variation, at least.

That roster seems about right to me. Two to three more would've been nice, but otherwise it's roughly in the ballpark of what I expected quantity wise. Though I'm surprised that
Pickle
seems to be absent! Solid in terms of variation, at least.
Yeah it does look like it should be high in quality which is good.

Full roster datamined from a review copy supposedly.

cdm8y4ottp791.png

Personally hope there's still a couple missing because while the monsters there are good I would have wished for a few more. Hope they clear up what the endgame system is going to be like soon.
Yeah, it's a solid list but I would have liked to see 3~ more.

Quality is indeed great. Also TU1 will have
four new monsters being Seething, Metal Raths and Lucent

Yeah, it's a solid list but I would have liked to see 3~ more.
Looking back at that list...

It is still far less than what Iceborne got at launch. At first I didn't think of it much since Iceborne had so many variants/sub species added
But even without those, Iceborne got 11 new/returning monsters, while Sunbreak is getting 17 total. Iceborne got like 8 or 9 more. I just hope this means a better post launch support, but seeing how post launch support was for base Rise I'm not holding much hope.

Also, today I was checking my games and mentally prepare for Sunbreak next week. And then I realised I have lent my copy of Rise to my friend who wanted to check it out to see if he wanted to buy a copy. I'm pretty sure he still didn't play it, it's not on his list of recently played games.

But either way, now I gotta ask it back from him lol or have him try it out one of these days so I can get it back in time.

Crosspost from eshop thread, figured it would also be good to ask here:

I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?

About the endgame
Seems hyper/frenzied like monsters are back on the table :)
That's good! Can't wait!

I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?
I'm assuming you mean the Rampage mission in the Village quests? Or was it from the Gathering hub? Either way, it should be doable on your own (especially the village quest one), you just need to learn the basics of the Rampage quests, which can be a bit confusing at first. Most of them are also not key quests (optional in other words), so you don't need to clear them to progress or unlock.

Assuming this is the one required to progress, it should be easy and you won't really need to do many more of those in the future.

If you're really stuck after trying a few more times, I'm sure someone here is willing to help you out this time. I would offer myself, but I have lent my copy out to a friend at the moment...

You can do everything solo if you want. I believe there are only a few of those missions really mandatory to do but should be doable. Though easier to do with randoms online. Personally I have more fun with MH in multiplayer though :)

I solod the entire game, Including all the rampages, both story mission mandatory, and hub/event quest.

Yeah, it can be done.

I should have mentioned I went solo the entire game as well. There are many solo hunters out there, there is not a single content that requires you to go online and play with others. Though it can be fun to play with others, random or not.

I solod the entire game, Including all the rampages, not story mission mandatory, and hub/event quest.

Yeah, it can be done.
Awesome to hear.

I'm assuming you mean the Rampage mission in the Village quests? Or was it from the Gathering hub? Either way, it should be doable on your own (especially the village quest one), you just need to learn the basics of the Rampage quests, which can be a bit confusing at first. Most of them are also not key quests (optional in other words), so you don't need to clear them to progress or unlock.

Assuming this is the one required to progress, it should be easy and you won't really need to do many more of those in the future.
It was the very first Rampage mission that I got from the girl inside the building. I think I remember something like the missions inside the building are coop quests and the missions you get from the dango-loving lady are the solo ones?

Anyway, yeah, I might just have to buckle down and figure out how to clear it. As long as I know it's doable solo. I was probably doing something wrong.

You can do everything solo if you want. I believe there are only a few of those missions really mandatory to do but should be doable. Though easier to do with randoms online. Personally I have more fun with MH in multiplayer though :)
Unfortunately none of my friends are into Monster Hunter. Heck, I kept falling off the series til I played Rise.

Anyway, yeah, I might just have to buckle down and figure out how to clear it. As long as I know it's doable solo. I was probably doing something wrong.

This guide is from relatively early into the game's release and there may be more refined ones out there I'm not aware of, but it'll teach you all you need to know to beat every Rampage the game makes you play solo:

What helped me the most was realizing that, as long as you follow proper strategy, you're afforded way more room for error than you'd think. The stress of trying to multi-task under pressure is the biggest hurdle, but once you realize how a lot of that pressure is an illusion and even if things are chaotic you're usually in nowhere near as bad a shape as it appears, that anxiety melts away and you can just concentrate on getting the job done, one task at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom