• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little worried the Citadel was the only 'big' map we were getting, then not only do they deliver another, but a remake of one I really like! And I'm super pumped to see my boy Magala back as a big 4U stan.

Time to get my ass beat by Malzeno later on in the demo. If anyone needs an extra hunter, hit me up :)

So how many more monsters are we thinking for the base game?

I remember seeing leaks around Rise's release that its expansion was planned to have 20-30 additions to the roster (I believe this was maybe sourced to the Capcom ransomware attacks), but not sure how legit that was or whether or not plans would've changed since then. But I could certainly see around 20 for the base game. Believe we're at 14 atm

What do people mean by Sunbreak demo? Is this within the game software itself? Or a separate eShop download?

...or is this PC only?

What do people mean by Sunbreak demo? Is this within the game software itself? Or a separate eShop download?

...or is this PC only?
Should be a separate downloadable demo, not out yet though (apparently launching tomorrow at 7 PM Pacific)

...or is this PC only?
It's coming to both Switch and PC. It should be downloadable like the first Rise demo separate from the main game.

I remember seeing leaks around Rise's release that its expansion was planned to have 20-30 additions to the roster (I believe this was maybe sourced to the Capcom ransomware attacks), but not sure how legit that was or whether or not plans would've changed since then. But I could certainly see around 20 for the base game. Believe we're at 14 atm
Going off memory here, but I believe the leak from Capcom's data breach said ~30 new Monsters in Sunbreak, so we're at about halfway. I don't know if that includes Monsters from the title updates, but I'd assume it doesn't

LMAO IM SO LAZY I ONLY READ THE FIRST LINE. As far as I'm aware, the stuff from the data breach is legit. It told us that the expansion would expand on Switch Skills, and also be themed around "Western Yokai", and a few other things, but everything it's said has been accurate so far.

Another potential leak for an expected monster given today's reveals
Also Sharpness regen is nice
Jh0gfEr.jpg

Another potential leak for an expected monster given today's reveals
Also Sharpness regen is nice
Jh0gfEr.jpg
Seems pretty legit, can't see how you'd fake this in the given timeframe. Yeah, Shagaru is expected but there was a chance he'd be a title update. Looks like that's not the case

Also, is that another new map? Seems like the place with the Gore fight from the trailer, but no one I've seen has commented on that being a new map so wondering if I missed something. It doesn't look like the Frost Islands and while I don't recall the Citadel map we've seen that well the map looks too uniformly colored for that

Edit: Ok it's just the Citadel

Last edited:
For the MH4U fans, a cool armor set was spotted relating to an NPC:
bm6brytd8h591.jpg

"You're the one to get it done, Capital C Hunter!"

Holy shit! This was amazing. Previous presentations were already amazing, but this really blew that out of the water. Even knowing what was coming...

The implications of these monsters are amazing. Frontier has such amazing designs that can now bombard the main games.

Akura Vashimu is something I would love to see :D

Between the leaks for this and SF6, I am now half convinced Capcom is spreading them themselves in order to pour oil on the hype fire, lmao.

I’m so hyped for the demo tomorrow, looking forward to exploring the jungle and it’s endemic life as much as fighting some old friends!

Between the leaks for this and SF6, I am now half convinced Capcom is spreading them themselves in order to pour oil on the hype fire, lmao.
The first leak with the loading screen was definitely Capcom themselves. The fact that it only leaked the monsters that were scheduled for the event, and the fact that they'd been teasing Espinas before, makes that a pretty clear cut case for me

Less sure about the more recent leak. That one I can see Capcom wanting to keep a "surprise" Despite it not being terribly surprising. But on the other hand it's a pretty good followup to the event

Oh man, there is so much awesome revealed. It was so much better than their normal Monster Hunter showcases.

We now have both Daimyo and Shogun in. I hope this means we'll get a new Carapaceon here.

Magala being confirmed is so great. They know exactly which monsters to bring. Just need a few more, especially the Seltas duo.
I didn't expect a Jungle remake map, but it looks so good. I hope they'll add Misty Peaks, though that would fit more with base Rise theme.

I'd expect at least a couple more monsters that have a model in World to return here at least, enough to hit 20 with the final boss and one more new unrevealed monster. Would be surprising if Glavenus, Deviljho and Brachy aren't in.

Last edited:
I seriously wouldn't expect them to push the number up to 30, btw. The posts mentioning around up to 20 monsters seem pretty spot-on in my eyes, and maybe we'll get to 30 via title updates down the line. 25+ is what I'm expecting at least when everything is said and done in 2023, which would be pretty nice already.

Alright final base roster predictions before the demo datamines inevitably leak everything

[Insert Leaked Monster Here] - it's in, because it's leaked

Inevitable Magnamalo Variant (I'm thinking something like Hellfire Magnamalo)

Inevitable Final Boss Elder - No idea what it would even be. Not sure what "Western yokai" can top Dracula

A World Elder Dragon. I'm thinking Vaal Hazak since it fits the theme best (Zombie Dragon!), but he's also pretty tied to the Rotten Vale. Still, they did bring Gore without (probably) much concern for lore implications so they might do the same for Vaal.

Ahtal-Ka - Probably not actually happening, but it would be sick. From what I've seen and heard (haven't played GU) this monster is really cool and something of a fan favorite. And we don't have any Neopterans in Rise yet (one of the few remaining monster classes missing)

Deviljho - because he's contractually obligated to show up

A Goss Harag variant - because the boy deserves one

Akantor/Ukanlos - The guy who leaked the Rise loading screen on Reddit (account now deleted) mentioned these two, and references to them were found in the Rise datamines

Another Frontier Monster - I know nothing about Frontier but wouldn't be surprised if we got at least one additional monster from it

Last edited:
The temptation of the leaks and the demo are testing my resolve like a siren's song from the world's sexiest Somnacanth, but I'm resisting because I'd prefer to be surprised than spoiled, and I know it will feel more special playing it for the first time on release instead of two weeks early.

Holy guacamole though it looks soooo good.

If you can’t find it ready on the Switch: go to the original Monster Hunter Rise game on the eShop, click the option to download the demo and it will give you a choice between the initial demo for Rise and the new Sunbreak demo.

If you can’t find it ready on the Switch: go to the original Monster Hunter Rise game on the eShop, click the option to download the demo and it will give you a choice between the initial demo for Rise and the new Sunbreak demo.
Thx, that worked.

THANK YOU

Alright final base roster predictions before the demo datamines inevitably leak everything

[Insert Leaked Monster Here] - it's in, because it's leaked

Inevitable Magnamalo Variant (I'm thinking something like Hellfire Magnamalo)

Inevitable Final Boss Elder - No idea what it would even be. Not sure what "Western yokai" can top Dracula

A World Elder Dragon. I'm thinking Vaal Hazak since it fits the theme best (Zombie Dragon!), but he's also pretty tied to the Rotten Vale. Still, they did bring Gore without (probably) much concern for lore implications so they might do the same for Vaal.

Ahtal-Ka - Probably not actually happening, but it would be sick. From what I've seen and heard (haven't played GU) this monster is really cool and something of a fan favorite. And we don't have any Neopterans in Rise yet (one of the few remaining monster classes missing)

Deviljho - because he's contractually obligated to show up

A Goss Harag variant - because the boy deserves one

Akantor/Ukanlos - The guy who leaked the Rise loading screen on Reddit (account now deleted) mentioned these two, and references to them were found in the Rise datamines

Another Frontier Monster - I know nothing about Frontier but wouldn't be surprised if we got at least one additional monster from it
Looks very nice. I actually made my own predictions list waaay back when Sunbreak first got announced and we only knew about Malzeno, Shogun and Lunagoron.
These are my actual predictions (some of those are wrong because now subspecies have been revealed, but I'll post them anyway). Oddly enough I'll gladly give myself a sticker for guessing Rakna Kadaki Hardcire variant (it's Pyre is pretty much blast which is a step up from fire), I'll also take Lucent being added in a content update, haha

These aren't really "guesses" it's just Monsters that are in base Rise that have had Subspecies
Fulgur Anjanath
Ruby Basarios
Seething Bazelgeuse
Daimyo Hermataur
Plum daimyo Hermataur
Black Diablos
Red Khezu
Coral Pukei-Pukei
Azure Rathalos
Silver Rathalos
Pink Rathian
Gold Rathian
Terra Shogun Ceanataur (will now be a variant instead of a subspecies though)
Brute Tigrex
Viper Tobi-Kadachi
Stygian Zinogre
Frostfang Barioth
Sand Barioth
Jade Barroth
Lagiacrus
Green Nargacuga
Deviljho (Savage content update)
Brachydios (Raging content update)
Furious Rajang
Rusted Kushala Daora
Lunastra
Molten Tigrex (Molten content update)
Lucent Nargacuga (Lucent content update)

My predictions for new Subspecies
Aknasom (Water or Thunder)
Tetranadon (land orientated instead of water)
Arzuros/Volvidon/Lagombi Subspecies (none of the 3rd gen Fanged Beasts have a subspecies (not counting Deviants), I just think it's time)
Goss Harag (fire, uses molten lava for swords instead of ice)
Somnacanth (Paralysis/Posion)
Rakna-Kadaki (hardcore variant)
Mizutsune (Thunder/Poison bubbles (inspired by the mobile game) - Glavenus got a Subspecies in World, Mizu in rise potentially means he's next)
Narwa/Ibushi/Allmother variant/subspecies/something (possibly their junvenile child (Sequential Hermaphroditism, is neither male nor female as it has yet to "develop", OR variant where Ibushi overpowers Narwa when she is trying to absorb his life force, Ibushi the Allfather)
Magnemalo (more sinister, hell ridden?)

And for New / Returning Monsters
Jhen/Daren ('cause those types of hunts are FIRE)
Lao Shan Lung / Shen Gaoren (honestly, I think these could work really well as Rampage horde leaders)
Quropeco (+ Crimson) (D'Jho not in Rise, and seems inevitable he'll return in Sunbreak, Q'Peco is infamous for calling D'Jho so it's perfect)
New Final Boss

Oddly enough, I've wanted Ukanlos and Akantos ever since Rise came out in a content update, so I'm not sure why I didn't add them to the list, because I really do want them. And adding onto what you said, now Frontier has been opened up, I expect another one of those to come as well.

Also now the demo is out has anyone been able to datamine it for new Monsters (asking for a friend!!)

The remake of Jungle is incredible, Astalos feels better than ever, Malzeno looks and behaves as if they came straight up from hell and the skill swap adds an absurd level of versatility. I'm more than amazed. June 30th can't come soon enough.

Here's hoping the datamines start soon, heh.

Malzeno is cracked. This dude
can teleport and has a move where he quickly ends up behind you.
As a LBG main I've never felt this pressured by a monster in base Rise, which is why I eventually moved onto other weapons. Looks like I'll be coming back because this was a great test of those bowgun skills.

I am annoyed they chose the lava map to fight though, because you waste a lot of precious time running through tunnels. The demo with Magnamalo was in the Shrine and much better to navigate.

Last edited:
I can’t play the demo till tomorrow night but looking forward to reading some impressions

Malzeno is cracked. This dude
can teleport and has a move where he quickly ends up behind you.
As a LBG main I've never felt this pressured by a monster in base Rise, which is why I eventually moved onto other weapons. Looks like I'll be coming back because this was a great test of those bowgun skills.

I am annoyed they chose the lava map to fight though, because you waste a lot of precious time running through tunnels. The demo with Magnamalo was in the Shrine and much better to navigate.
I loved the Malzeno hunt. I only did it once and failed due to timing out, but just the way it moves is incredible. I do agree about it being in the Lava Caverns, really wish it stayed in the Shrine Ruins. It's the same with the other hunts in the demo. Only Astalos is in the Jungle, where the other two are stuck on the Shrine Ruins and Frost Islands. Wish the first three were set in the Jungle and Malzeno was in the Shrine Ruins.

Jungle looking absolutely phenomenal, though! Only done one quest there but I think I'm just gonna start a hunt and spend the 50 minutes exploring the map.

Datamine leaks from demo
saw over on Game FAQs the datamining has started. Apparently base Sunbreak (not including Title Updates), has 8 Small Monsters and 23 Large Monsters. So far, all 8 Small Monsters have been revealed, and 13 Large Monsters, which means there's 10 slots left for new Monsters. Keep in mind, out of these 10, we know Shagaru Magala; plus there's certainly a new final boss, and potentially Great Boggi, so that leaves 7 or 8 slots.

Last edited:
I loved the Malzeno hunt. I only did it once and failed due to timing out, but just the way it moves is incredible. I do agree about it being in the Lava Caverns, really wish it stayed in the Shrine Ruins. It's the same with the other hunts in the demo. Only Astalos is in the Jungle, where the other two are stuck on the Shrine Ruins and Frost Islands. Wish the first three were set in the Jungle and Malzeno was in the Shrine Ruins.

Jungle looking absolutely phenomenal, though! Only done one quest there but I think I'm just gonna start a hunt and spend the 50 minutes exploring the map.

Datamine leaks from demo
saw over on Game FAQs the datamining has started. Apparently base Sunbreak (not including Title Updates), has 8 Small Monsters and 23 Large Monsters. So far, all 8 Small Monsters have been revealed, and 13 Large Monsters, which means there's 10 slots left for new Monsters. Keep in mind, out of these 10, we know Shagaru Magala; plus there's certainly a new final boss, and potentially Great Boggi, so that leaves 7 or 8 slots.
Pretty much what I wanted to know. If this is true that is already great and if the TU's arent part of it that is even better. Looking forward to Sunbreak!

How's handheld performance? Specifically when fighting Astalos and in the Jungle? Apparently people saying it's bad, although people to tend to over exaggerate.

Man, Hunting Horn feels so good in Sunbreak the new Silkbind Move is a lot of fun to use. Maybe a tad OP tho. (quite some part breaks and KO/Exhaust). HH feels like a better hammer.

Also what I am surprised about is that a lot of content creators seem to think that this was the last trailer before launch. Though, I think that there will be another trailer just before launch. How do we feel about that?

I'm pretty sure they said they'd reveal more in the future or something during the Capcom Showcase? I can't rewatch it now but I vaguely remember the voice over saying that.

My first thought after dipping into the warm-up quests of the demo: the buff-type switch skills that require upkeep and switching between scrolls to maximize DPS are unfun busywork and I dislike the concept.

Just beat Malzeno together with a friend and two randos, man that fight was amazing (probably only a minute left in the end). It seems he can attack you from any angle at any moment which makes the fight extra tense.

Also my friend was running HH with the sharpness regen buff which honestly is just positively busted lol. We never would have made it in time without it.

Astalos was fun, I like the slight redesign. Looking forward to taking my time exploring the new map more tomorrow.

Haven’t taken on Malzeno yet, want to get my head around all the new stuff first!

I always find these Quests with set kit so weird, I’m so used to having my usual loadout. No eating for resistance either, or nulberries. I’m constantly looking through my kit going ‘where’s all my stuff!’ :D

Bruh...was Astalos always THIS aggressive and fast? Jeez lol.

I found him easier with Switch Axe as opposed to LS and damn, SA counter is insanely busted and satisfying.

Datamine leaks from demo
Bit disappointed that it seems like this might be all we get from the demo. Seems like Capcom has learnt from their mistakes and scrubbed this one more thoroughly

But I suppose that does leave more surprises for the game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom