• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previews

Difficulty is all I want really, I breezed through 90% of Rise and especially the single player village quests were disappointing in how short and easy it felt. Bring on the pain!!

I'm I being silly or all the videos framey?

Edit: apparently all the footage is provided by Capcom and they all have encoding problems lol.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to Sunbreak and the fact that the previews note that it provides a challenge is just incredible. Looks like this will be the same as to what Iceborne did to World and I am all for it!

Too bad about Lagia not being in though. Understandable, but he is one of my favourite monster designs. Here's hoping for Gore Magala!

Everything that I have read about the new things we have seen just screams an expansion as good as Iceborn. I hope that the post launch updates are going to be as good.

unknown.png

Some friends showed me this, has this ever popped up before/debunked? If real it'd confirm Gore Magala and Espinas (previously a Frontier exclusive monster)

Would be a convincing fake but who knows nowadays.

unknown.png

Some friends showed me this, has this ever popped up before/debunked? If real it'd confirm Gore Magala and Espinas (previously a Frontier exclusive monster)

Wait what?! I've never seen this. That would be awesome if true. Do you know the source of it?

unknown.png

Holy fuck...omg please be real!!!

unknown.png

Seems way too real and a certain content creator has now put one of them as his pinned message. I think this could def be real. Also
the person who leaked it said that more Frontier Monsters would be on the way

Wait what?! I've never seen this. That would be awesome if true. Do you know the source of it?
Just popped up on Reddit a while ago, the only original source mentioned there was some Twitter account that promptly deleted it, but apparently that was also not the original source

The image is pretty convincing with how well the artstyle matches Rise (and it's just well-done in general). The monsters are a bit weirdly placed on the screen but I'm not strictly sure that's a dealbreaker. The real sticking point are the monsters shown Gore Magala is a hugely popular monster with, from my understanding at least as someone who's never fought it, a very similar gimmick to Malzeno. Espinas is a Frontier monster and while we've apparently had one monster (Lavasioth) make that transition before it's certainly not common. And sticking in the likely Rakna subspecies (we've seen a small monster variant of the Raknoids), while possibly lending this legitimacy, may also just be a ploy by whoever made it

Edit:

Yeah like Vantell mentioned this is also interesting in light of this image: https://twitter.com/MHKogath?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Just popped up on Reddit a while ago, the only original source mentioned there was some Twitter account that promptly deleted it, but apparently that was also not the original source

The image is pretty convincing with how well the artstyle matches Rise (and it's just well-done in general). The monsters are a bit weirdly placed on the screen but I'm not strictly sure that's a dealbreaker. The real sticking point are the monsters shown Gore Magala is a hugely popular monster with, from my understanding at least as someone who's never fought it, a very similar gimmick to Malzeno. Espinas is a Frontier monster and while we've apparently had one monster (Lavasioth) make that transition before it's certainly not common. And sticking in the likely Rakna subspecies (we've seen a small monster variant of the Raknoids), while possibly lending this legitimacy, may also just be a ploy by whoever made it
Oh no, I know about Gore Magala. It's one of my favourite monsters in 4U. I just meant I've never seen this image. It does look convincing sinde it looks more like a western style of the load screen while base Rise had the Japanese artstyle.

I also noticed the Rakna Kadaki like monster. Having a Frontier monster as well is cool, though I need to see it in action.

I hope this means we'll get to see more info soon.

Oh no, I know about Gore Magala. It's one of my favourite monsters in 4U. I just meant I've never seen this image. It does look convincing sinde it looks more like a western style of the load screen while base Rise had the Japanese artstyle.

I also noticed the Rakna Kadaki like monster. Having a Frontier monster as well is cool, though I need to see it in action.

I hope this means we'll get to see more info soon.
Ah, my bad, didn't mean that as an explanation of what Gore Magala is. Just noting that it would be weird to have it, espeically in the base game since it's both so popular and pretty similar to the flagship

Also, we're getting more info tomorrow! Capcom Showcase, at 3:00 PM Pacific Time

That looks like quite the convincing fake if it isn’t real. Cool artwork regardless!

Hopefully we’ll find out more tomorrow

Also some other tidbits I saw on Reddit from the person that leaked the previous image. Take this with a grain of salt as we don't have pictures yet proving this:

Leak#1: While the two big monsters are very interesting, don't forget to appreciate the scenery around them. Because there will be a guiding lands/everwood type endgame map and these drowned ruins in the back look really sus.

Leak#2: Ukanlos and Akantor

Very curious!

The ruins above Donkey Kong are reminiscent of the painted waterfalls in Frontier and Espinas is closely connected to the jungle map that has been speculated about a bunch. Maybe there will be another bigger map with a couple biomes mashed together.

Ukanlos and Akantor were somewhat expected since vanilla Rise datamines (maybe Jhen too? tho it could reference the boat in the ice map asset name) but Espinas is NUTS

NUTS

Ah, my bad, didn't mean that as an explanation of what Gore Magala is. Just noting that it would be weird to have it, espeically in the base game since it's both so popular and pretty similar to the flagship

Also, we're getting more info tomorrow! Capcom Showcase, at 3:00 PM Pacific Time
Oh sorry, I misunderstood! But you're right about Gore Magala. It has the frenzy virus mechanic which looks pretty similar to the bloodblight (or whatever it was called) of Malzeno.

I just hope it's not just the same old trailer or gameplay at the Capcom showcase.

I think we're possibly going to be able to dismiss or validate this leak tomorrow. While I don't think we'll get everything shown here, we might well get at least one of the monsters shown or a look at a loading screen

I could very well see a trailer focusing on the Jungle map which shows off Espinas, for example

Wait where does the
Agnaktor and Ukanlos
stuff come from? AFAIK all that leaked is the loading screen potentially(assuming its real)

So we'll likely be getting a demo tomorrow after the showcase, since that's apparently been teased by the team (and Monster Hunter typically gets demos)

What are we thinking for the fights? Malzeno feels like a given, the flagship is always in the demos. My other guesses would be the two monsters the previewers got to fight, Seregios and Lunagaron. Something like Lunagaron as the "Beginner" quest, Seregios as the "Intermediate", and Malzeno as the "Advanced"

Wait where does the
Agnaktor and Ukanlos
stuff come from? AFAIK all that leaked is the loading screen potentially(assuming its real)

It's not
Agnaktor, unfortunately. The magma version of Almudron seems to] be somewhat replacing it functionally (although Agnaktor will always be way more hype). It's Akantor.
The source seems to be the same one that posted the image according to post #467 in this thread.

So we'll likely be getting a demo tomorrow after the showcase, since that's apparently been teased by the team (and Monster Hunter typically gets demos)

What are we thinking for the fights? Malzeno feels like a given, the flagship is always in the demos. My other guesses would be the two monsters the previewers got to fight, Seregios and Lunagaron. Something like Lunagaron as the "Beginner" quest, Seregios as the "Intermediate", and Malzeno as the "Advanced"
Yeah I agree, we’ll likely get the same build as the previewers with Lunagaron, Seregios and Malzeno. Which is great, 2 new monsters plus Steve is a fantastic fight with their speed and agility.

Last edited:
I've never ever fought Espinas so I hope that leak is true! And happy to see my boy Magala returning.

That was insane

Daimyo Hermitaur
Pyre Raknda Kadaki
Espinas
Gore Magala
Jungle area
More monsters in base game confirmed(not that it was in any doubt)

Lucent Nargacuga and the roadmap(looks like a potential Mizu deviant in the 2nd wave?)
Demo tonight/tomorrow with Astalos and Malzeno(if demo magnamalo was anything to go by it will be a bitch lmao)

The fact that they said there will be even MORE monsters in the base expansion before updates is very promising. This is shaping up to be a larger expansion than Iceborne right now.

Cool to see we're getting at least two additional locations on top of the new castle map. Since Rise was my first venture into Monster Hunter all the returning stuff is just brand new content for me. Only partly watched the information to keep some of the monster looks a surprise.

The fact that they said there will be even MORE monsters in the base expansion before updates is very promising. This is shaping up to be a larger expansion than Iceborne right now.
Well we already knew that we're missing the final boss, so that + literally any other unrevealed monster (even something like Velocidrome) would fit the "more monsters"

That being said, I do think there's probably a good chunk of monsters left to be revealed and hopefully there'll be some neat surprises in game as well.

Presumably there will be at least one new (or returning) Elder Dragon besides Malzeno and the final boss in the game, Akantor and Ukanlos kinda make sense, Shagaru too maybe but I could see that being a post-launch addition. Either way this is a pretty good roster so far.

I like what they've shown, but somehow I am not itching to play it. Maybe I need some more down-time from it after having put a ton of time in Rise, idk.

We'll probably get some more leaks and datamines from the demo, last time Rise basically had its doors blown open after that. And while Capcom's probably learned from that, there's probably still going to be at least something

Is anyone able to explain the difference between rare species vs subspecies vs special species monsters? I wanna temper expectations of what to expect here lol

Is anyone able to explain the difference between rare species vs subspecies vs special species monsters? I wanna temper expectations of what to expect here lol

A subspecies is a different version of a monster, with different colors and different attacks. The rarer monster is just that but rarer and stronger (and the rare species will more than likely be gold rathian and silver rathalos).

Special Species seems to be a name they used for their mobile game explorers, and is basically different versions of the monsters and some really silly collabs (like Eva 02 Tigrex). Although Personally i would wager that it is just a new name for the Apex monsters.

Subspecies are a recolor of a previous monster, usually with a different element.
Rare species are basically a rarer subspecies, like the Gold/Silver Raths and Lucent Nargacuga.
Special species are a Monster Hunter Explore thing, they're things like colab themed monsters, like the EVA-01 themed Brachydios.

My boy Gore Magala, yesssss

Loving these trailers, but is this really only going to have three new monsters? Well, I guess make that four with the obligatory final boss

A subspecies is a different version of a monster, with different colors and different attacks. The rarer monster is just that but rarer and stronger (and the rare species will more than likely be gold rathian and silver rathalos).

Special Species seems to be a name they used for their mobile game explorers, and is basically different versions of the monsters and some really silly collabs (like Eva 02 Tigrex). Although Personally i would wager that it is just a new name for the Apex monsters.

Subspecies are a recolor of a previous monster, usually with a different element.
Rare species are basically a rarer subspecies, like the Gold/Silver Raths and Lucent Nargacuga.
Special species are a Monster Hunter Explore thing, they're things like colab themed monsters, like the EVA-01 themed Brachydios.
Thank you!

Trying to not be too nerdy about it but the post-launch support image in Japanese says 特殊個体 which refers to variants (Chaotic Gore Magala, Raging Brachy, Savage Deviljho). The English image translated this to special species but the wacky collab species from Explore (Evangelion Brachy, Attack on Titan Jho) are called 特殊種 in Japanese. I assume they meant variants.

Last edited:
This week alone is stacked for me! Demo, Tmnt, and Steam Next Fest somewhere in between it all! Man, I love the Astalos, glad to see the Gore Magala make a return, and I am looking forward to facing the Malzeno in the demo, if no no other reason then to hear a part of his theme. (I have no doubts he will be soundly kicking my ass, lmao!)

Never played Daimyo Hermitaur or Espinas before, and both look awesome. As long as they're meaningfully differentiated from similar monsters like Shogun Cenataur and the various fire breathing flying dragons.

The Jungle map looks fantastic, seems very atmospheric and alive. Was starting to wonder if it would just be the one mega-map (Citadel) so seeing there's at least one another full sized area is very welcome.

All in all, this is so far shaping up to be every bit as superb as the base game if not more so, the 30th cannot come soon enough.

Gosh it is such a rare pleasure to have a big third party treat us Switch gamers as first class for once. Feels good.

I think we can all agree that the previous presentation was rather meh, but man does this one fuckin' blow everything out of the water it looks so fucking GOOD.

The Jungle, Ancestral Steppe and Jurassic Frontier were three maps I really wanted to see get remastered, so I'm fucking HYPED over the Jungle being one of them! It's such an interesting map with so much to discover. I found that in the older games structured maps made it difficult for me to navigate the Jungle, despite how much I loved it, so having it be open world is amazing. What they showed off in the trailer looks so GOOD I can't wait to explore it in the demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom