• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I fell off Rise well before the end, but liked it enough to be interested in future games. Is Sunbreak like a fresh start? Does my progress in Rise matter?
Yes, everything you do in Rise will be taken to Sunbreak. You have to finish the final story quest in the multiplayer hub to be able to start the next quests. The Sunbreak quests will be MR (Master Rank) meaning monsters have more health and other stats.

In base Rise everything was up to High Rank :)

Hella hyped for this and I wanted preorders to go live so I could get it, but after seeing the prices I'm kind of... unsure

Rise is $79.95AUD on the eShop (currently on sale for $53.30AUD), but you can buy a physical copy of Rise for $69AUD, and the Sunbreak DLC is on the eShop for $60AUD ($75AUD for the deluxe edition)... Buying it digitil, it's basically the exact same price as a physical game here. If I'm paying that much for the DLC I'd rather just buy a physical copy to nab the box art and then sell the extra copy of Rise on eBay or something...
To add to this, Rise + Sunbreak physical edition will cost $89.95AUD.... what the actual fuck is going on with the AU pricing it's such a massive inflation
I'm probably going to end up buying the physical version and then sell the game cart if it doesn't drop down on the eShop, this is horrible.
I don't care about aminos or pins. But I want physical sunbreak, and that steelbook. And I can definitely use those hats. And pants. And really the whole outfit. Hope they play well with recoloring.

Wait

"The physical version includes a Nintendo Switch game card for Monster Hunter Rise and a download card for Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak."

So there is no way you can get sunbreak on a cart, no matter what edition you buy?

That's disappointing.
Doesn't seem like it, no. Maybe in the future they'll release a Sunbreak cart, cause 13GB is pretty hefty; like they did when Spyro first released it only had the first game and you had to download the other two, but later added all three games on the disc

Looking forward to this. Gonna wait until I've claimed my gold points from Kirby, then I can get about £4.50 off of the cost.

I played 250+ hours of base Rise and really enjoyed it, but it felt like it didn't have a real endgame so my interest just tapered off which felt very anticlimactic. Based on what Iceborne did (I haven't played it) can we expect something more enticing for Sunbreak?

Capcom should really just swing for a 32GB card and forego codes. At least in the CE if nothing else, but then they kinda love doing the code thing in their bundles (RE Rev Collection, RE Triple Pack, RE Origins Collection, DMC Triple Pack, MMLC1&2, MMXC1&2).

I played 250+ hours of base Rise and really enjoyed it, but it felt like it didn't have a real endgame so my interest just tapered off which felt very anticlimactic. Based on what Iceborne did (I haven't played it) can we expect something more enticing for Sunbreak?
I'm going to go with probably not, which is why endgame players gravitate towards different niches to occupy their time. Helping others, set experimenting, and speedkilling are all fun enough to carry people who are interested in that stuff once the progression runs out imo. I don't think is a bad thing anyways, content always runs out and the alternative is adding MMO like treadmills on top of things like deco/charm farming.

I wonder if the new Master Rank quests will have like more difficult versions of current monsters with new moves and stuff. I'd love for harder versions of cool monsters that aren't that tough in Rise, like Rakna-Kadaki and Tetranadon.

Not sure what you mean by endgame. If you mean a story, then I don't think you'll find much here. Monster Hunter stories usually take a back seat.

But in terms of content, G/Master Rank can be pretty challenging. Also depends on whether you solo hunt or not. And you can handicap yourself by not using OP gear setups and stuff. But either way, we first need to see how much stuff they're adding before we know.

I wonder if the new Master Rank quests will have like more difficult versions of current monsters with new moves and stuff. I'd love for harder versions of cool monsters that aren't that tough in Rise, like Rakna-Kadaki and Tetranadon.
Yes, monsters in Master Rank are tougher. They have increased stats (like more HP, faster, harder hitting), and some (not sure if all of them do) have new moves.

Not sure what you mean by endgame. If you mean a story, then I don't think you'll find much here. Monster Hunter stories usually take a back seat.

I would say a proper endgame loop, because there is none. Something you can do after "finishing" the game and still get something rewarding out of it. In rise you can just hope to get a good charm and that's it.

I wish they would give us more tools to get the charms we desire.

I do wonder if we get a new endgame loop. I recently have been playing Rise more often again and doing a few quests here and there is quite fun. Funny enough I am enjoying Rampages much more now as well! It is a fun way to get some materials. I also did the Advanced Valstrax fight which was really cool and gives a fun look at what hopefully Master Rank will be.

Overall base Rise has had the same issue as base World. Both games were great on its own but their endgame was a bit... meh. Iceborne changed that very much and I think Sunbreak will also do that. I hope we get something like the Guiding Lands or something as that was a really cool way to keep hunting and fight some cool monsters.

Personally, I did not find Rise lacking in late game/long term content, especially not for a game that was always designed to receive a large expansion down the road.

Allmother Narwa, Chameleos, Kushala, Teostra, and Valstrax provided the endgame, while the various Apex and Advanced quests, and the insane amount of cool armor and weapons to craft gave me plenty of reasons to keep playing long after the credits rolled.

This is just my humble opinion, but I feel base Rise stands on its own just fine, and the Sunbreak expansion should be a second course of an already filling and delicious meal.

I really want to learn how to play this game. I bought Rise and played for a few moments and went to fight monsters and failed. i feel like i would love this game so much but i need to figure out how haha

I really want to learn how to play this game. I bought Rise and played for a few moments and went to fight monsters and failed. i feel like i would love this game so much but i need to figure out how haha
Monster Hunter tutorialization is godawful, so I'd recommend looking at YouTube guides for the game instead. Arrekz Gaming, Rurikhan, and Gaijin Hunter are good channels to check out for Rise guides

That moment when you’re pre ordering amiibo—and one of them gets snagged out of the cart because you were too slow to checkout. My beautiful vampire dragon. Nooooooooooo…

Did they happen to mention pricing for the Rise + Sunbreak? The NSO Trial has won me over, but I will wait if the bundle is going to be $60.

I'm thinking August for that one.
Nintendo has shown a very strong preference for releasing things in July as opposed to August. It's one of their clearest release patterns.

I think the only retail game they've released in August in recent years was Astral Chain, and that wasn't anywhere near a Splatoon-level major release.

Hopefully the marketing will go all out now. But I'm already craving for more information lol. I really want to see more Monsters and weapon changes.

And they said we'd get multiple new locales, right? How many can we expect? How many did Iceborne get?

Hopefully the marketing will go all out now. But I'm already craving for more information lol. I really want to see more Monsters and weapon changes.

And they said we'd get multiple new locales, right? How many can we expect? How many did Iceborne get?
Iceborne technically only got one full new area (Hoarfrost Reach) but it was GIGANTIC with 5 bases, various biomes and ran nearly the size of World's 5 full areas combined. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunbreak was the same, in the trailers it looked enormous when hunters were wirebug traveling and we saw a few pretty different environments (castle ruins, forest, mountains).

Iceborne technically only got one full new area (Hoarfrost Reach) but it was GIGANTIC with 5 bases, various biomes and ran nearly the size of World's 5 full areas combined. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunbreak was the same, in the trailers it looked enormous when hunters were wirebug traveling and we saw a few pretty different environments (castle ruins, forest, mountains).
That's interesting, I have never started Iceborne content in World, maybe I should go back to it.
It does seem like Sunbreak may do the same, the Citadel looks huge. But I wonder if there is more since they said there will be new locales in plural. Or maybe the Citadel is what they meant.

Did they happen to mention pricing for the Rise + Sunbreak? The NSO Trial has won me over, but I will wait if the bundle is going to be $60.
Personally, I'd wait and buy it as a bundle. Only pricing for Japan and Australia at the moment.

In Japan, Rise costs 5,990 yen and Sunbreak is 4,990 yen, totalling 10,980 yen
Buying as a bundle, it will be 7,990 yen (digital), or 8,789 yen (physical)

Australia, Rise costs $79.95, and Sunbreak is $60, totalling $139.95
Buying both as a bundle costs $89.95

If you don't care about money, can't wait to play Rise, or don't have any other games in your backlog to occupy your time until Sunbreak, I'd say go ahead and buy it (I'm sure Rise will go on sale again and the price difference won't be as drastic), otherwise I'd wait.

i've moved some of your posts from the digital event thread to this one, i hope you don't mind. it's best to have the pre-release discussion focused in this thread.

Looks good. I may actually go for it in a later state. Haven't done the pre order yet. As I don't see a reason for it... yet :p

Would it make more sense to wait for the expansion? I am going to watch that tutorial video above. I always wanted to play with Dual Blades.
You'll have to complete the base game first anyway before you'll get to Sunbreak content. Might as well start now.

Would it make more sense to wait for the expansion? I am going to watch that tutorial video above. I always wanted to play with Dual Blades.

Take advantage of the discount (if it is still in place), and jump in, you'll have to go through it before starting the sunbreak content anyway.

The base game is pretty big, so I'd say jump in now, so that you're ready for Sunbreak when it arrives. :)

Provided you're up for a challenge, this is one of the most rewarding and satisfying games out there. There's nothing else on Switch quite like it, and you'd be hard pressed to find a third party game on the system that offers more bang for your buck.

The base game is pretty big, so I'd say jump in now, so that you're ready for Sunbreak when it arrives. :)

Provided you're up for a challenge, this is one of the most rewarding and satisfying games out there. There's nothing else on Switch quite like it, and you'd be hard pressed to find a third party game on the system that offers more bang for your buck.
Yeah, I always wanted to try and get into the series but heard it’s a little complex. I feel like I am a pretty casual gamer now, so might be a little too much for me.

Yeah, I always wanted to try and get into the series but heard it’s a little complex. I feel like I am a pretty casual gamer now, so might be a little too much for me.
There are some good online guides that explain and simplify things in a digestible way. (See several posts up for a good example) Overly complex or difficult games aren't really my thing either, and I was able to really enjoy MH after an initial period of adjustment. :)

Rise is one of the easier entries too so don't be too wary. I solo these games and it's probably the best one from that perspective imo. Up there with GU or P3rd.

Remember that anyone who is starting now to prep for Sunbreak, you can forge the Rampage weapons and armor (i think that's what they're called?) to help you move through Low Rank quicker :)

haven't been following, is lagiacruz confirmed yet?
Not yet. But we only had one Digital Event before release. I wouldn't be surprised if Lagiacruz gets announced in April, May or June event. Plus, we are getting Title Updates after that so that means post content monsters as well.

In other news we got a new armour set to look at! :D

Last edited:
Not yet. But we only had one Digital Event before release. I wouldn't be surprised if Lagiacruz gets announced in April, May or June event. Plus, we are getting Title Updates after that so that means post content monsters as well.

In other news we got a new armour set to look at! :D

Something that I really love about Capcom is they actually share new stuff on their Twitter feed. Yeah it's only minor, but concept art, new armor, and even those minor gameplay tweaks they've spoke about coming to Sunbreak are all really cool. I've only ever really followed Nintendo, and all their marketing stuff is simply just official images and stuff they've already released, it's refreshing seeing a company actually showcase new stuff in their marketing on a somewhat regular basic.

Something that I really love about Capcom is they actually share new stuff on their Twitter feed. Yeah it's only minor, but concept art, new armor, and even those minor gameplay tweaks they've spoke about coming to Sunbreak are all really cool. I've only ever really followed Nintendo, and all their marketing stuff is simply just official images and stuff they've already released, it's refreshing seeing a company actually showcase new stuff in their marketing on a somewhat regular basic.
The way they do their "hype" cycle is pretty dope. I am looking forward to the next Monster Hunter event. I guess we have one soon in April :D

Some battle clips of the new Monsters :) Looks like we have some awesome and challenging fights to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom