• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crosspost from eshop thread, figured it would also be good to ask here:

I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?
I was like you and didn’t want to play online was dead set against it, and I COULD NOT get past the rampage levels. Hated them with a passion. I finally broke down and did one online with randos and it went so much better. Now I actually love the rampage stages! Sooo much easier.

(It was also my intro to playing online and I’m glad I did because playing with others turned out to be really fun. If you can play online I would recommend trying it)

Unfortunately none of my friends are into Monster Hunter. Heck, I kept falling off the series til I played Rise.
I would recommend playing with randoms. Especially on Switch it is a very kind community. If you want I don't mind sharing FC and play together if you like ^^.

In all honesty, when starting a mission in the hub, just leave it open for randoms to join. The mission scales with how many people have joined in, I always find watching other players is a really good way to learn, it helped a lot with the rampage mode. I’ve never set up a single room in Rise as it’s so much faster to just leave quests open, it’s really rare not to get a full party fairly quickly.

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess I'm getting MH Rise if there's no new Direct (and shadowdrops) by July 7.

Full roster datamined from a review copy supposedly.

cdm8y4ottp791.png

Personally hope there's still a couple missing because while the monsters there are good I would have wished for a few more. Hope they clear up what the endgame system is going to be like soon.
Honestly, if they just added the Subspecies to the Monsters that were introduced in World that are in Rise (Tobi, Anjanath, Pukei, etc), I'd be happy with this list. My biggest disappointment would probably be the lack of those subspecies, I was looking forward to hunting them for the first time. If there's also only 4 subspecies from Rise Monsters, kind of disappointing that 3/4 of them are basically fire/blast element. As others have said, no Deviljho is odd but I'm sure he'll be in a title update.

If the end game system really is hyper/frenzy Monsters, then hell yes

Full roster datamined from a review copy supposedly.

cdm8y4ottp791.png

Personally hope there's still a couple missing because while the monsters there are good I would have wished for a few more. Hope they clear up what the endgame system is going to be like soon.
Some of the picks are dope but overall this is disappointing.

Some of the picks are dope but overall this is disappointing.
With how much the base monsters in Rise already changed moveset wise and with the Afflicted status (frenzied/hyper). It is still a good roster even though we got less monsters in SB. Probably a lot of those sub species are being added in updates for more meaty stuff? Since the TU's really seem to focus on sub species and all that
Honestly, if they just added the Subspecies to the Monsters that were introduced in World that are in Rise (Tobi, Anjanath, Pukei, etc), I'd be happy with this list. My biggest disappointment would probably be the lack of those subspecies, I was looking forward to hunting them for the first time. If there's also only 4 subspecies from Rise Monsters, kind of disappointing that 3/4 of them are basically fire/blast element. As others have said, no Deviljho is odd but I'm sure he'll be in a title update.

from what I have seen this game seems very dope. Mainly the variety in Monsters is already a step up. And if it means that some of them are even stronger during Afflicted status that is very dope. Afflicted status is for now found for 31 monsters mainly low/mid tier monsters so those will get added in the future as well seemingly.

Spoiler about TU 1 and 2

Furthermore, the next two TU's will add six monsters on top of the current roster so by TU2 we have at least 23 monsters in the game.

Here are some more leaks and stuff I found (from this guys Twitter who was the first one to break the Sunbreak "western Yokai" stuff from the data breach)

xuu0qfa02p791.jpg
bz1u5z602p791.jpg

"Final Boss is Gogmazios with more AoE and a surprisingly tight to clear Siege section, where you need to CC him before animation end. Fight wears thin because of the number of times you need to do it for mats.
Boss has 2.5 stages. Stage 1 you hit his crystals so they pop. He will ocassionally drop rocks from ceiling and try to succ you in. You need to hide behind rock. If you broke crystals they get succed and he eats shit for 200+ a pop.
Stage 2 becomes AOE-landia. They will eat through your HP like medical debt in the US. Also causes tremors. Max Potions highly recommended. Hugging nuts lets you ignore aoes and only worry about charges.
Morale of the story is that the Corona Bats were what was behind everything and are actually the greater evil. You save the princess and you get quests from a toddler congratulations, you are the Monster Hunter Sunbreak.
Gasimagorm is just an obese snake with 4 vestigial amrs that are shitzones and 2 chonky hzv pair, that's stuck on the underground. It sends off flocks of corona quinoa bats everywhere. Which is a profound political allegory for something or another.
"

"Gaismagorm attacks with the explosive, crystallized Qurio
on its carapace. Break these crystals by attacking, but
beware: Gaismagorm can consume the shards and
use them to deliver even more explosive attacks. When
Gaismagorm climbs the pit's wall, it's readying a strong
attack. Use the ballistae provided to stop it.

A gargantuan monster living in the darkest depths since
ancient times. Gaismagorm's rock-like forearms boast
tenacious strength which allows it to burrow underground.
It has a symbiotic relationship with the Qurio, and feeds
on their life force for energy. Once it has chosen a place
to nest, it collapses the surrounding rock bed to create
an opening to the surface. The opening forms a massive
crater in which it releases the Qurio through."
c09akIa.jpg
Quests talk about "afflicted" monsters, in reference to Qurio (Quinoa from here on). There's quite a few of this quests. It's even part of the quest objective tag line itself (eg: Slay an afflicted Daimyo Hermitaur). Capitalization preserved.
On afflicted quests you not only gain the monster's materials but also afflicted materials. Afflicted monsters can cause bloodblight with their attacks. Similarly they cannot be captured.
Afflicted monsters attack "violently". Afflicted materials can be used to strengthen weapons "beyond their normal capabilities".

Magnemalo variant/subspecies/whatever it is is called Scorned Magnemalo
434 new Master Rank quests
Weapon Skills:
New Skills:
Silkbind/Switch Skills: pastebin.com/zTmyz0za
Monsters that can be inflicted with Affliction:

Although I haven't read most if not all of these spoilers, I would like to mention I am extremely pumped and hyped to break into Sunbreak. Release is so close, love the whole vibe and feeling of Elgado already. Feels nostalgic in some sense, I get some serious Moga village vibes :D

The endgame system has leaked and it does look pretty solid overall.
Very excited to dig in soon, really need a game like this now.

So is the DLC releasing in your timezone like a regular game (i.e midnight here in Australia when it's not the 30th for Americans yet) or is it releasing at a set time for everyone?

anyone doing an ST for this?
I would but I don't think I have the visual design skill to make one that looks decent.

I can provide all the game information for if someone does want to do the design though. Heck, I've already got most of it in the OP for this topic.

I would but I don't think I have the visual design skill to make one that looks decent.

I can provide all the game information for if someone does want to do the design though. Heck, I've already got most of it in the OP for this topic.
honestly, we can just turn this thread into the ST if you want. we just need a witty subtitle and some small reworking of the OP. and don't worry about the visual design, all STs don't need to have elaborate graphics. this is another pre-release thread that we turned into an ST, and it took like 5 minutes.

edit: here's a quickly made banner

Last edited:
honestly, we can just turn this thread into the ST if you want. we just need a witty subtitle and some small reworking of the OP. and don't worry about the visual design, all STs don't need to have elaborate graphics. this is another pre-release thread that we turned into an ST, and it took like 5 minutes.

“Monster Hunter Rise : Sunbreaking new monster parts”
“Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak. Elgadogs and cats”

So is the DLC releasing in your timezone like a regular game (i.e midnight here in Australia when it's not the 30th for Americans yet) or is it releasing at a set time for everyone?
Don't know if anything's been explicitly said for Sunbreak, but for the Rise demo, Rise, Rise title updates, Sunbreak demo, they've all been a set time for everyone so I'd assume this is the same

Six? I've only seen four names thus far, wonder who no 5 and 6 are, then
Yes, seemingly they found out about:
Metal Raths, Lucent, Seething Bazel
for TU1 and
White or Brown Espinath and a Fire Mizu seemingly (this is up in the air the last one)
for TU2.

For the ST: Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - The Real Monster Mash

White or Brown Espinath and a Fire Mizu seemingly (this is up in the air the last one)
for TU2.

For the ST: Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - The Real Monster Mash
Ah, interesting! Thanks. I knew about the former mons, but the TU2 ones are new to me. I think the second one you named would be quite an interesting take on the monster in question.

Ok, I started working on the draft for the ST, will probably have it ready by tomorrow.

• Talisman lock feature added to your equipment box.

Hallelujah.

• New option added: Player Hit Effects.
  • New option added: Other Player Hit Effects.

Hallelujah? ... if it is what I think it is.

• Anchor Rage: The amount of attack power increase is now determined by the power value of the attack you receive instead of the size of the guard reaction it causes.

HALLELUJAH!

Just out of interest, what’s the ‘Talisman lock’ feature? Something to stop you accidentally melding something you want to keep?

Hallelujah? ... if it is what I think it is.
I think it does if you're thinking of the alpha/particle/weapon/element effects cluttering people's screen in mp sessions.
The option was there already in the Sunbreak demo, though I did not test it myself.

I haven't played Rise in so long I've probably forgotten how to play, lol. I was a LBG main but wondering if I should check out a different weapon as I refamiliarise myself, maybe Switch Axe or Hunting Horn.

I think it does if you're thinking of the alpha/particle/weapon/element effects cluttering people's screen in mp sessions.
The option was there already in the Sunbreak demo, though I did not test it myself.

That's my hope. It's slightly weird to decouple it from the hit effect option already in the game, but I can't imagine what else it would be. Worst case they simply made that into two seperate options for player / other players. Best case, they patch in a buddy effects toggle, too!

Just out of interest, what’s the ‘Talisman lock’ feature? Something to stop you accidentally melding something you want to keep?

Almost 100% it is. You already get a message if you're trying to melt down a talisman that's part of a set. This way you can afford that same or a better protection to every talisman you may ever want to build around.

That's my hope. It's slightly weird to decouple it from the hit effect option already in the game, but I can't imagine what else it would be. Worst case they simply made that into two seperate options for player / other players.

Almost 100% it is. You already get a message if you're trying to melt down a talisman that's part of a set. This way you can afford that same or a better protection to every talisman you may ever want to build around.
Nice, cheers!

Can I ask a stupid question about this game?

It looks super interesting and in the past I had played MHU4 to completion (ok at least the normal monsters). This trailer had me hooked cause the weapons and the monsters seemed innovative in design and gameplay.

Now I love all that I ve seen but I have 1 problem.

Some of these monsters I kind of... pitty them? If the monster is some kind of abomination or is very aggressive towards me thats fine.

But when they struggle walking running away from me and look like a bird or smth I feel bad :/

Anyone else has that problem? If anyone else has that problem do you get it a lot in this game or is it just a few monsters?

Crosspost from eshop thread, figured it would also be good to ask here:

I played MH Rise while it was free for NSO subscribers and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to a part where you had to defend a base from getting overrun, and I attempted and failed that mission thrice. I’m only planning to play on my own, so my question is, is that part doable on your own? I believe it was part of the Team Missions. Would I be able to instead continue the story by playing the Solo Missions?
I did all rampage quest on my own, very doable tbh. At first it can be a bit intimidating, but you get used it to quickly, learn how to manage the resources, timing... The last rampages and some missions were a bit too hard, buy very rewarding as well.

I main LBG and recommend a Shrapnel bow. This video may help:

It looks super interesting and in the past I had played MHU4 to completion (ok at least the normal monsters). This trailer had me hooked cause the weapons and the monsters seemed innovative in design and gameplay.

Some of these monsters I kind of... pitty them? If the monster is some kind of abomination or is very aggressive towards me thats fine.

But when they struggle walking running away from me and look like a bird or smth I feel bad :/

Anyone else has that problem? If anyone else has that problem do you get it a lot in this game or is it just a few monsters?

Yeap, a few of them limp away and it feels bad. That's why I read the description of the missions in detail. They actually show you you are doing it just to help people. It is just survival hehe.
Elder dragons fight until the very last moment, so those are great for your case.

I find monsters in multiplayer die so quickly that they rarely get to limp away, so that’s one way ‘around it’ :D

In single player I almost always capture if I can.

The vast majority of monsters in this series are presented as just animals. They have no malicious intent, and they need to be hunted typically because they've moved in too close to human civilization or trade paths and are causing issues attacking people.

It's not an accident you are feeling that way.

Tri probably has the saddest one of all with Ceadues.

Yeap, a few of them limp away and it feels bad. That's why I read the description of the missions in detail. They actually show you you are doing it just to help people. It is just survival hehe.
Elder dragons fight until the very last moment, so those are great for your case.

This is risky, too, because Monster Hunter is low-key cynical about humans and animals co-existing. Oh, sure, the big plot is always about having to restore balance to the monster kingdom and find ways to live alongside nature. But then you read some of the quest descriptions and people are asking you to kill for convenience or profit or the pettiest reasons.

I haven't played Rise in so long I've probably forgotten how to play, lol. I was a LBG main but wondering if I should check out a different weapon as I refamiliarise myself, maybe Switch Axe or Hunting Horn.
The weapons I focus on at the moment are: Hunting Horn (main), Great Sword & Switch Axe :). All three weapons are very fun to play with!

After some internal debate on what to call it, the ST is now up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom