• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Monster Hunter Rise hits 10 million sold, Sunbreak 2 million

Loving the expansion even though I blazed through the main story pretty quickly lol, but either way very well deserved

Great results

Waiting for new hardware, but I'll probably jump in after that.

Deserved. I kinda bounced off World (my first MH game) but Rise + Sunbreak have really clicked for me.

We know that by September 2021, the game had sold 7,5 millions copies on Switch alone. I don't think they ever gave a sales breakdown after PC release, just global sales updates.

7,7 millions exactly, by December 2021.

Having jumped into Sunbreak, I am reminded how good and smooth a well optimized 3rd party game can be when designed for the hardware. Sales are well deserved and then some.

Last edited:
I honestly expected PC to do a bit better sales wise (going by the guestimates re: Switch version sales, Rise PC is at max looking at roughly 2m units sold, right?).

Some might point towards the differences between World & Rise, with both being on PC, and that the tech side especially made Rise less attractive. I'll say, though, that, based on my experience with the PC gaming landscape, I expected the PC market to be more diverse and thus more open to diverse MH offerings, if you will.

Not sure I articulated too well what I'm trying to say, haha, but I'm on the go, so sorry for any confusion I might cause. I'd be interested to know what others make of these PC numbers.

I honestly expected PC to do a bit better sales wise (going by the guestimates re: Switch version sales, Rise PC is at max looking at roughly 2m units sold, right?).
Less than 2m, it has sold 2.3m since PC launch and the 10m number includes Rise+Sunbreak Switch physical copies and new Switch copies of the game , I think 1.5m ish is a better estimate

pd: Want to add that these are great numbers for Rise btw, MH:W was an anomly when it comes to sales of a late port

Last edited:
How many copies of World + Iceborne were sold on PC?
World sold 5.7 million-ish (on PC) as of late 2020 according to the Capcom leak if I remember correctly, and do correct me if I'm wrong. Important to note that both World and Iceborne came out 6 months late on PC though so it makes direct comparisons between Sunbreak and IB a bit difficult.

Super happy to see MH as a whole just break out this much.

Last edited:
World sold 5.7 million-ish (on PC) as of late 2020 according to the Capcom leak if I remember correctly, and do correct me if I'm wrong. Important to note that both World and Iceborne came out 6 months late on PC though.

Well Rise also released around 7 months after the Switch version.

Maybe the novelty of Monster Hunter wore off in the PC gaming space, after World was the first Monster Hunter game that also was released in the west (I think the other Monster Hunter PC games were only released in east asia).

Maybe the novelty of Monster Hunter wore off in the PC gaming space, after World was the first Monster Hunter game that also was released in the west (I think the other Monster Hunter PC games were only released in east asia).
Before the expansion release World was charting higher than Rise when it comes to daily players. It’s just that Rise style of game isnt probably as likeable as World one

Some might point towards the differences between World & Rise, with both being on PC, and that the tech side especially made Rise less attractive. I'll say, though, that, based on my experience with the PC gaming landscape, I expected the PC market to be more diverse and thus more open to diverse MH offerings, if you will.
Games don't need the best of graphics to do well on PC but in this case Rise is a graphically less impressive game than the similar game in the same series that PC players already have played. It's natural that that would affect it. I also think that being yet another late release hurts it even more than it did World because the "hype" dies and again, in Rise's case people already had MH so the curiosity probably couldn't maintain the hype as much as with World's release. All things considered, I think Rise's performance on PC is good.

What I find interesting is Sunbreak's performance as the first simultaneous console/PC mainline MH release. MH Rise reached its likely peak CCU of 231k on Sunday with Sunbreak's release which is below World's 284k CCU with Iceborne's release but while Iceborne's release didn't lead to World beating it's peak of 334k CCU at launch, Rise did handily beat its launch CCU with Sunbreak's release, going from 134k to 231k. That's been nice to see. I'm very curious about if the next game will also be a simultaneous release (hopefully it is) and how it'll compare.

(SteamDB for concurrent users)

Last edited:
pd: Want to add that these are great numbers for Rise btw, MH:W was an anomly when it comes to sales of a late port
I think we'll need to see how MHW2 fares, also depending on its release circumstances (late port again? Pricing? Etc.) If that one does super well on PC again, after World was so well received and Rise only okay-ish (on the PC side of things), then it might be fair to say that PC folks indeed don't enjoy Rise as much as World.

Before the expansion release World was charting higher than Rise when it comes to daily players. It’s just that Rise style of game isnt probably as likeable as World one
Rise is a game made with portability in mind and much less "AAA cinematic adventure" than MH W. The fact it didn't had cross-save was also a bummer for PC community, as hindered migration from Switch to PC. Not to say Rise doesn't has it's place on PC, but its understanble why it isn't as played as World, despite the better gameplay.

Another theory of mine why the sales on PC aren't that good for Rise compared to World:
I would assume the video game taste of people that play on PC aligns much more to the people that play on PS and XBox. I think it's also not that far fetched to say that many of those people prefer more "serious" games. My first monster hunter was Tri and I played all of them that also got a release in the west since then. Personally I didn't like World + Iceborne that much because it felt to me that Capcom tried to be more "serious" with this game. More focus on story cutscenes, weapon designs were often boring (to me) because many were just bone or iron weapons with some monster parts on it, and monsters like Anjanath, Tobi Kadachi and Kulu Ya Ku could be real prehistoric animals from the look of it (excluding the super natural stuff like fire breathing and thunder and so on). For me personally I was really happy to see that Rise brought the goofiness and arcady feel of the old games back a bit more.

So maybe a big part of PC gamers just prefer more "realistic" and "serious" games.

A big IMO at the end.

So maybe a big part of PC gamers just prefer more "realistic" and "serious" games.

A big IMO at the end.

Yeah, a big imo.

A reason a lot of indie successes starts up on PC is because PC is so diverse. Lots of PC gamers are into non-serious and quirky/experimental games.

World sold 5.7 million-ish (on PC) as of late 2020 according to the Capcom leak if I remember correctly, and do correct me if I'm wrong. Important to note that both World and Iceborne came out 6 months late on PC though so it makes direct comparisons between Sunbreak and IB a bit difficult.

Super happy to see MH as a whole just break out this much.
Are those PC sales just on the base game or did Capcom include expansion sales as well.

This isn’t true at all. The high-end tech chasers are a minority; PC gamers have always been the ones most likely to experiment with a variety of genres.

Than why do you think the sales of Rise are not as good as the sales of World on PC?
We can only theorize, but possibly 1) MH: World has the novelty of being the first MH on PC, so a lot of interested onlookers would have jumped in there 2) lack of cross-save hampers migration/double dipping of Switch owners 3) most MH players have already formed their communities and built their armor sets in World and aren’t quite ready to move on and 4)MH: World is supposedly more cinematic and maybe in this particular case the kind of PC gamer that’s attracted to MH is the graphics hound kind.

There’s also the reality that late ports usually sell significantly less, and in this regard MH:W was an anomaly.

Repost from IB:

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  • PR 07.05.22 over 2m

Monster Hunter Rise
  • PR 03.29.21 over 4m
  • IR 03.31.21 4.8m
  • PR 04.05.21 over 5m
  • IR 06.30.21 7.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 7.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 7.7m
  • PR 01.18.22 over 8m (PC launch)
  • IR 03.31.22 9m
  • PR 07.05.22 over 10m (Sunbreak launch)

Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
  • PR 09.13.19 over 2.5m
  • IR 09.30.19 2.8m
  • IR 12.31.19 3.2m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 4m (PC launch)
  • PR 03.13.20 over 5m
  • IR 03.31.20 5.2m
  • IR 06.30.20 5.8m
  • IR 09.30.20 6.6m
  • IR 12.31.20 7.2m
  • IR 03.31.21 7.7m
  • IR 06.30.21 8.2m
  • IR 09.30.21 8.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 8.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 9.2m

Monster Hunter: World
  • PR 01.29.18 over 5m
  • PR 02.09.18 over 6m
  • PR 03.05.18 over 7.5m
  • IR 03.31.18 7.9m
  • IR 06.30.18 8.3m
  • PR 08.20.18 over 10m (PC launch)
  • IR 09.30.18 10.7m
  • PR 10.11.18 over 10m
  • IR 12.31.18 11.7m
  • IR 03.31.19 12.4m
  • IR 06.30.19 13.1m
  • IR 09.30.19 14.1m (Iceborne launch)
  • IR 12.31.19 14.9m
  • PR 01.13.20 over 15m (PC Iceborne launch)
  • IR 03.31.20 15.7m
  • IR 06.30.20 16.1m
  • IR 09.30.20 16.4m
  • IR 12.31.20 16.8m
  • IR 03.31.21 17.1m
  • IR 06.30.21 17.3m
  • IR 09.30.21 17.5m
  • IR 12.31.21 17.8m
  • IR 03.31.22 18m

It's natural that that would affect it
I actually expected the graphics aspect to be offset to some degree by the fact that Rise has lower required specs, meaning more people with old/lower end hardware would get the chance to jump in compared to World, which in fact wasn't the easiest game to run on PC.

But looking at the numbers, there must be something else majorly playing into this other than the tech, yeah.

We can only theorize, but possibly 1) MH: World has the novelty of being the first MH on PC, so a lot of interested onlookers would have jumped in there 2) lack of cross-save hampers migration/double dipping of Switch owners 3) most MH players have already formed their communities and built their armor sets in World and aren’t quite ready to move on and 4)MH: World is supposedly more cinematic and maybe in this particular case the kind of PC gamer that’s attracted to MH is the graphics hound kind.

There’s also the reality that late ports usually sell significantly less, and in this regard MH:W was an anomaly.

Point 1 was also a comment of mine above.
Point 2 and 3 makes sense.
Point 4 is to some extent same that I meant with "serious" and more "realistic" games. I should have written cinematic but I personally don't see the difference between cinematic and "serious". At least I don't know a cinematic game that doesn't try to be serious.

The point about late ports is interesting. I'm interested in the sales numbers if the next Monster Hunter is more like World and is still a late port.

Because of World looks newer and better and is better for newcomers due to it's quality of life features.
The newer and better looking would contradict the point that meatbag made:
This isn’t true at all. The high-end tech chasers are a minority; PC gamers have always been the ones most likely to experiment with a variety of genres.

Whatever the reasons are, it would be interesting to know them.

The next Monster Hunter mainline game will not be a late port for PC, SFVI already wasnt it seems now Capcom x Sony relationships are more marketing deals than exclusives (RE8/RE4R).

It's really just this, MH was the first game in the franchise readily available on PC and it happened to be a genre that resonates with the audience so a lot of people tried it out. A good chunk of those might have found out they don't like it or had their fill for now and skipped out on Rise. I don't think it's that complicated.

I wouldn't be surprised if MH6 does slightly worse than World on PC too even if it's day 1 on the platform, but that's harder to predict.

Last edited:
Great result for the game and the series. It'll be interesting to see where Rise eventually tops out.

One of my favourite Switch games, anyway; and I love what I've played of Sunbreak so far.

Scoutflies.
As someone who has turned their map off and is immensely enjoying the shit of climbing to high places to manually scan for the target....

Yeah sure as long as it's optional.

With the improved map/Cohoot, they're kind of irrelevant.

From a purely functional standpoint? Yeah, its are vastly more efficient and functional for finding the target than scout flies.

From an engagement standpoint? I can definitely see how people can have more fun not using the fastest most accurate method of finding the target.

The next Monster Hunter mainline game will not be a late port for PC, SFVI already wasnt it seems now Capcom x Sony relationships are more marketing deals than exclusives (RE8/RE4R).
I think so too. Unless Sony ups the ante(which I doubt, they didn't for Street Fighter) I don't see how Capcom delay launches a PC version. Their PC revenue is skyrocketing right now and have never been more healthy as a publisher on Steam.

Nice numbers

Scoutflies.
Looks like scoutflies replace paintballs? In Monster Hunter Rise monsters are always visible on map, once you encounter them they're always identified and there's no paintballs in the game. Or does them serve another purpose?

One thing though that I noticed that could be improved is the tutorial / onboarding. I saw an inexperienced YouTuber doing a Let's Play and the start was somewhat rough, it's like a pretty basic mission but with walls of text popping up. They could have introduced info in a more integrated way with the gameplay. Dunno how World tackled it though

From a purely functional standpoint? Yeah, its are vastly more efficient and functional for finding the target than scout flies.

From an engagement standpoint? I can definitely see how people can have more fun not using the fastest most accurate method of finding the target.
I mean, this can be said about any QOL improvement. I'm sure there are also people who find it more immersive or fun not having access to your inventory or meals in the field, having to stockpile pickaxes, paintballs, hot/cold drinks, etc.

Not sure I articulated too well what I'm trying to say, haha, but I'm on the go, so sorry for any confusion I might cause. I'd be interested to know what others make of these PC numbers.
Anecdotal, but many of my friends that play Monster Hunter on PC complained about how much of a step down graphically Rise was over World. They still bought it, but I wouldn't be surprised if many others skipped for that reason. Unfortunately even in this day and age, people still see simpler visuals and think simpler experience

I mean, this can be said about any QOL improvement. I'm sure there are also people who find it more immersive or fun not having access to your inventory or meals in the field, having to stockpile pickaxes, paintballs, hot/cold drinks, etc.

Definitely not. I mean, the one singular thing I think every person on the planet can actually unanimously agree on is the claw sucked.

But as per your provided examples? Yeah it could definitely apply.

Anecdotal, but many of my friends that play Monster Hunter on PC complained about how much of a step down graphically Rise was over World. They still bought it, but I wouldn't be surprised if many others skipped for that reason. Unfortunately even in this day and age, people still see simpler visuals and think simpler experience

If your friends are using dlss, it is currently butchering the games hair(fin) related visuals and animation, making the game look much worse, at a much much cleaner resolution.

If your friends are using dlss, it is currently butchering the games hair(fin) related visuals and animation, making the game look much worse, at a much much cleaner resolution.
Just talking about base Rise. No idea what they're doing for Sunbreak

10 million with Switch an PC isn't bad. Especially if the 7.5 million from Switch as of September is true (sounds kind too good to believe as it would mean at this point... could be 2 million or less on PC).

If we compare it to lifetime sales of MHW (2018 release) of 18 million acrosss PS4, Xbone and PC, that's pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom