• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Minimalism | ST |

• Thread starter Deleted member 1108
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1108

Hello!

I was the OP of the Minimalism thread on the other place, so I thought it would be a neat idea to bring it here.

Here's what I wrote that time:

I did an instance of the Konmari method (piling everything you have and discarding things that don’t spark joy, invented by Marie Kondo) on my stuff and now I’ve discarded, sold, or donated 95% of the stuff I have, and I’m amazed by how I don’t miss any of that.

By practicing minimalism, I’m no longer chasing ‘the next thing’, nor I’m not upset or sad by not having it. I don’t have to worry about someone breaking into my apartment and taking my stuff since there’s little to take, and what’s there it can be easily replaced. The idea of insuring things like that looks crazy to me now.

My days are more productive since I can go to bed and wake up earlier because there’s little maintenance to be done, I no longer have ‘I have to clean this fucking mess’ thoughts anymore eating precious mental space. Cleaning is easier than ever, and, fuck me, I even enjoy it.

I’ve narrowed my hobbies and interests (and by consequence, my belongings) since I realized I only have so much time in the day and attention span I can spare to uneventful things. FOMO is gone as well, since I concentrate on things I really like.

And the mental peace that comes with it is priceless. Very little time is spent thinking in things, and more time is dedicates to people, experiences, etc.

If you’re curious about it, I invite you to read ‘The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up’ by Marie Kondo and ‘Goodbye things’ by Fumio Sasaki.

A lot of people, especially @Terrell , went to that thread and shared a lot of great stuff.

So what's minimalism?

There's a whole bunch of concepts going around but what we will be talking about here is what other people refer as simple living. We will define simple living as 'limiting our time, belongings and consumption to the bare minimum we can live happily with'.

What do I mean with this? Usually, we put too much emphasis on stuff that doesn't really makes us happy. For example, I started noticing that I spent too much time on my computer, randomly scrolling social media (Reddit, Facebook, etc), without being particularly interested in any of it. So, what I did, was to close all my accounts and forced a limit on myself about how much time I can spend in front of my computer. I'm on the beginning stages of course but I've managed to actually go to sleep at decent hours and by consequence not being shit faced every day at work.

When I opened this thread I was more interested in the material part of minimalism, and it is still a big factor I like. By letting go 90% of the stuff I owned, I made space for the things I love the most, and spend less time worrying about things and more time actually using those things. I used to worry all the time about having a perfect videogame collection but what good is it if it brings you more burdens (financial, worrying about said collection value and condition, etc). So I got rid of most of the games I had, pulled myself (well I say myself but of course it wouldn't have been possible without the invaluable help of friends and family) out of a financial hole, and I learned to enjoy more the stuff I have. And so far there's been very, very few regrets.

So, how about you?

Hello again!

Started getting back to selling off games and stuff I no longer want. It’s a slog but having better success with eBay than I expected. Need to prep more stuff for donation centers again too.

Why you gotta name-drop me like that? LOL

I noticed a recent trend where minimalism is being re-branded as "reductivism", mostly by engineers and designers who don't want it confused or conflated with minimalist architecture and design.

Given other potential definitions for the word, I'm not a fan of this attempted change in nomenclature.

Back
Top Bottom