• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Metroid Prime and Fusion 20th Anniversary Event (ENDED)

What exactly is Metroid Planets?
  • You know I've never heard of Metroid Planets before this thread. I notice you mention the "novus" campaign—are there other campaigns? What are the differences?

...Also where can I find this?
    Great questions! Terribly sorry, you've made me realize that for someone who actually wants to sell people on Metroid Planets, I've done next to zero to actually explain what it is!

Ok, so I'll try to keep this as simple and direct as possible: Metroid Planets is a game by VacantShadeGames on the Metroid Construction Forums. Adhering closely to the sound and aesthetic of NES Metroid, it consists of three main pillars:

• Planet Zebeth, a faithful, yet modernized remake of NES Metroid. It features sharper physics and more precise controls, a functioning map system, rock solid 60 FPS performance (as opposed to the frame drops of even the NSO version of the original), a sweet remixed soundtrack by MiniMacro Sound, QOL features such as respawning with full health and ammo (no more farming), new animations (most notably Samus's run cycle), autosaves, and more.

• Planet Novus, an original campaign featuring all of the above, and then some. Novus encompasses a longer adventure harboring some fun surprises I don't wanna spoil, and a larger, more intricate map than Zebeth. It heavily incorporates elements of Super Metroid, including 8-bit "demakes" of its OST, by the highly talented Loeder.

• Planet Enigma. I'll come right out and say it: this is literally a Metroid version of Super Mario Maker. Players create their own rooms, and the game chains them all together to form a playable campaign with natural progression. I've downloaded some room packs and generated some worlds myself, and it's really neat seeing what the community has been able to put together.

I consider the game to be a work of immense passion and reverence for the Metroid series, with a high degree of polish and quality in its design. In no way am I affiliated with the developer, and in no way is the game a commercial product. I'm just a fanboy who wants more folks to play it. It's like a 20MB download, will run on any computer, and makes for a ton of fun. If I didn't wholeheartedly believe it was excellent, I wouldn't have featured it in the event. AM2R is well known in the Metroid community (and with good reason), but Planets less so, even though I feel as though it's absolutely of comparable quality. These are probably the two best Metroid fan games out there.

I think the only thing left to do is show off a few gifs! First one is slow for me, for whatever reason, but opening it in a new tab should solve that, if it looks slow for you as well.
    Spazer_Beam.gif

Yakchi_Reveal.gif

Giant_Hopper_Reveal.gif

Notice of New Rule 1/9/23
  • Notice of New Rule

With the event soon coming to a close, I'm implementing a new rule, for everyone's convenience: if you're still in the process of making your way through one of the games when the event ends on the 17th, you can go ahead and complete it, and still earn the relevant badges! No need to feel rushed. This thread will be unpinned on the 17th, but shall remain open for a bit afterwards. Not solely to afford everyone the time to properly close out their participation, but also because we still have a raffle to conduct!

Deadline Extension 1/15/23
  • Deadline Extension

As mentioned in post #244, the event's end date has been moved to February 1, and the thread title has been changed to reflect this. This thread will still be unpinned on January 17, as originally planned. Though I originally believed the extra time should perhaps only be afforded to those who currently find themselves in the middle of a Metroid game, I figure it'd be fairer for all if that caveat was omitted. Keep earning those badges as you please, and thanks for your continued participation, everyone!

Five New Badges 1/19/23
  • Five New Badges

The following badges have been added to the event, bringing the total number of badges up to 50! Brain Buster and Primed and Ready will soon be awarded retroactively to those who've previously met their conditions.

General Badges

52635094157_021751ab1f_o.png

Brain Buster

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Defeat Mother Brain in Metroid 1 and Super Metroid.

Picture Proof: Metroid 1 and Super Metroid credits or end screen

52634600260_653661c952_o.png

Primed and Ready

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Defeat Metroid Prime, Dark Samus, and Aurora Unit 313 across the Prime Trilogy.

Picture Proof: Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 credits or end screens

METROID: OTHER M

52634579938_177c457a61_o.png

Remember Me?

Metroid: Other M: Meet up with Anthony aboard the BOTTLE SHIP.

"Fancy meeting you here, Princess. Remember me?"

Picture Proof: Anthony

52634579963_9e9b93d5c9_o.png

Any Objections, Adam?

Awards 1 Energy Tank

Metroid: Other M: Bid farewell to your old mentor, retrieve a memento, and depart the BOTTLE SHIP for good.

Picture Proof: Credits or end screen

52634353484_8f2a916fe7_o.png

Galaxy's Greatest Mom

Awards 2 Energy Tanks

Metroid: Other M: Finish the game with 100% item acquisition.

Picture Proof: Any image showcasing 100% items acquired (menu, end screen, etc.)

Back
    Top Bottom