• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

A 2023 release would put it in Year 7 of the Switch life-cycle. That's a very, very late release for a game with big sales expectations, but it forced me to look up similar situations on past consoles in regards to late-in-the-day tentpole releases. I think most similar release is probably God of War 2 - a 2007 PS2 game that came out after PS3 was on shelves. A critically and commercially successful game.

We really don't know what Nintendo's philosophy is going to be for whatever comes after Switch - ideally it would be something that's entirely backwards compatible a la GBA or PS2 to keep the OG Switch software ecosystem alive for a while longer.
I think we have to go wilder with expectations.
Let's say Switch 2(I mean a full on successor) comes in early 2024(and I'm sure as hell it won't):
Metroid Prime 4 is not cross gen. Instead, it's a heavily marketed Switch exclusive, to the point the actual successor isn't even show till close to release so it doesn't overshadow it. MP4 is the big holiday release of a, idk, 120m user base console? And that after getting a 2D game that potentially sold 3-5m and the remaster of the first in its franchise which is one of the most acclaimed games ever released just one year before, and that game was the surprise announcement of the E3 of that year and the spotlight title of its release year E3.
Pokemon Sun and Moon released exclusively for the 3DS just four months before the Switch, and after it was announced, and still managed to sell 16m.
The Last of Us came for the PS3 literally the month before PS4 launched and sold really big, and was a new IP.
Until PS2/GCN era It was common for the games released late in the console's life that weren't cross gen to be flops, but that tendency got reverted with PS360 with the best selling games coming in the last year of the console. We also have Pokemon Black and White selling gangbusters just months before 3DS, and Black and White 2 selling big too when 3DS was already out. Very big releases came to PS4/XBO in 2019 and 2020.

I'm not saying Metroid will do Pokemon numbers, that will never happen. I'm comparing just the phenomenon that releasing late in a console's life isn't a backtracking anymore. Moreso to frontloaded titles, like Metroid will be. The bigger the install base the best.
So, I don't believe MP4 will be cross gen with the Switch. I think it will be launch title to a more powerful revision. But even if it isn't, I don't believe 2023 will be the last year with huge switch launches, and even if it was, I don't think it'll underperform.
I expect Prime 4 to be anywhere between 5-10m. After Dread's sales are know, I'll adapt that further, be it like 4-6m or 7-10m.

I wouldn't mind a third-person one. Retro is quality, and will make it quality.

Third-person or not, I really hope they find a way to incorporate the Speed Booster + some type of dash, this time around. If it's first-person again, it can take some cues from just how fluid movement feels in modern FPS titles like Titanfall 2, or Doom Eternal.
Titanfall is the game I hope they model it after if they stick to first person, which I assume they will. I just want Samus to be very mobile and super fun to control. I think that's what hurt the Prime games a lot for me.

The problem with some open world games, at least for me, is that traversal is just too bland. Takes forever to get anywhere, and it's not fun to move around. Prime example: Horizon Zero Dawn. Example of the complete opposite: superhero games, like Batman: Arkham Knight, or Spider-Man.

Samus is very much a "superhero". Between the Grapple Beam, Space Jump, Speed Booster, Wall Jump, and any other mobility-related abilities they'd opt to give her, she's got the ideal kit to make the simple act of navigating a large play area enjoyable. Metroid could straight-up be a perfect fit for an open world experience, should they choose to go that route.
Yeah, they could pull off a more open Metroidvania.

The Prime games are pretty good at doing their own thing with the universe, while not stepping on the toes of the main series narrative. I don't expect that to change, going forward. I find that they do a really solid job of expanding the Metroid lore, so I hope that continues with Prime 4.

What are your issues with the way the Federation and Pirates are depicted, just out of curiosity? In the case of the Pirates, "Space Pirate" is just a generalized term, rather than one used to refer to a given species. That's why the 2D games feature the Zebesian "lobster claw" Pirates, while the Prime games opt to depict other species instead (in addition to one of their homeworlds, Urtraghus, in Prime 3).

It mainly comes down to how the two sides have very different depictions of these groups, depending on which Metroid series you're tuning into.

For example: in the Prime games, the Pirates are depicted as a formidable paramilitary force with a distinct structure, and already laid siege to several planets. They possess exceptional prowess such that they can reverse engineer a number of technologies for themselves, and craft a variety of bioweapons to suit their needs on the worlds they occupy. There's even a shadowy "High Command" that runs things behind the scenes, and depending on how you read it, made it sound like even RIDLEY answered to them.

Compare that to the main games (and source material supporting it, like the Zero Mission manga), and it's an entirely different picture. They're merely depicted as a murderous, opportunistic cabal, with Ridley as leader, before Mother Brain whipped them into shape with her telepathic abilities and asserted control over the lot of them as their new supreme leader. Then together with the Metroids that were acquired, upgraded what was once just a band of problematic ship/colony raiders often left to the Fed Police to handle, into a full scale galactic threat based on Zebes.

Even if you want to try and handwave some things ("Oh, maybe Ridley was just the leader of ONE faction within the Pirates!"), you'd have your work cut out because it's apparent that Sakamoto and co. have a distinctly different view of the Pirates compared to (old) Retro's.

2d and 3d metroid are two different games despite having lots of similarities. The immersion of being in Samus' suit just brings a whole different layer to the games. 2d metroid isn't as unique as it used to be. There are metroidvanias left and right. 3d metroid however, there's nothing like it.

They also put so much more in atmosphere and ambience. There's nothing like phendrana drift in 2d metroid.

Yes I am really excited to see what new retro studios is capable of. It's been a long time ago. I do wonder why they first went to bandai namco. Funny how that happened.

I personally hope they don't stray too far from the core Metroid formula. For me, the pleasure comes from unpicking the intricate map, with just enough freedom to go and make best use of your newest abilities but not enough that it becomes a 'do what you want' open world type affair.

What I'd like to see is a focus on clever environmental puzzles that really test the player's ability to use their abilities. Not just 'here's a lava gun, your next upgrade is in that ice block'.

Also, I'd like to see some of the attitude that Samus displays in Dread make it across. They nailed that aspect. TBH whoever is doing the next Tomb Raider could crib a note or too from the way Nintendo and Mercury handled her when considering how to characterise Lara Croft.

So after Dread's release, which seems to be pretty successful for a Metroid game, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decided to release Prime 4 in 2023, and leave Metroid Prime Trilogy (or Prime 1 remastered if rumors are true) for 2022.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prime 4 becomes a cross-gen game, as I expect the successor of the Switch to arrive in 2023.

And considering how good Dread is, Nintendo had to be really disappointed with the initial version of Prime 4. I'm 100% sure that it will be amazing with Retro.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prime 4 becomes a cross-gen game, as I expect the successor of the Switch to arrive in 2023.

Only as far as the switch successor will almost certainly be backwards compatible and able to play prime 4. I don't think Nintendo is going to do a Sony and start releasing two versions of titles when the hardware is already capable of playing the titles.

Gonna be a bit awkward if we have to go from the really athletic samus in Dread, including a few shots of that from the first person view, to the tanky slow Prime movement again. I know they've always been slower than the equivalent 2D metroids at the time, but the difference will be really stark if they don't also make Prime Samus much more athletic this time around, and yes, I absolutely am thinking about the recent doom games as an example of it being feasible to implement.

Dread pumped me up for this so much. I really hope it's a similar return to form, perhaps with the same increased attention to combat.

So after Dread's release, which seems to be pretty successful for a Metroid game, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decided to release Prime 4 in 2023, and leave Metroid Prime Trilogy (or Prime 1 remastered if rumors are true) for 2022.
This is where I'm at, though I'm expecting to see something from Prime 4 before Prime 1 remaster/remake (assuming the former is in fact far enough along next year to commit to 2023). While Nintendo loves to keep things close to release, I don't think they want to play the 'the team is hard at work on Prime 4' game again. Revealing and releasing three Metroid titles between the Prime 4 teaser and the first actual footage would be absurd.
And considering how good Dread is, Nintendo had to be really disappointed with the initial version of Prime 4.
I'm struggling to see what these two have to do with each other. Dread's quality should have no bearing on why they rebooted Prime 4.

Gonna be a bit awkward if we have to go from the really athletic samus in Dread, including a few shots of that from the first person view, to the tanky slow Prime movement again. I know they've always been slower than the equivalent 2D metroids at the time, but the difference will be really stark if they don't also make Prime Samus much more athletic this time around, and yes, I absolutely am thinking about the recent doom games as an example of it being feasible to implement.
The slower movement complemented the tank controls. In this day and age, there's no excuse to keep doing tank controls - especially if they want to match Dread's attention and improvement to combat and movement. I expect we'll see a more standard/modern control setup with better movement to go with it.

Prime 4 teaser at E3 2022. It will still be a while before development on the game is completed, blah blah, here's Prime Remaster in the meantime, enjoy. October 2022.

I'm struggling to see what these two have to do with each other. Dread's quality should have no bearing on why they rebooted Prime 4.
I was talking about leaving development of their franchises to external developers and their quality.

I think that Nintendo ended disappointed with the development of Prime 4, that there was no other option than giving up and restarting the project internally, in this case with Retro, if the assumption that the issue being a bad quality game was the problem of course.

I'm pretty sure that if they didn't like what Mercurysteam was doing with Dread, they would have cancelled the project, who knows if Nintendo restarted the development also internally, or sent to oblivion for the third time.

Same with FE Three Houses developed by Koei-Tecmo, if Nintendo wasn't happy with the results, that game would not exist.

Prime 4 teaser at E3 2022. It will still be a while before development on the game is completed, blah blah, here's Prime Remaster in the meantime, enjoy. October 2022.

I'd suppose it would be too much to hope for a release window for Prime 4 if it got revealed next year? That would make it three and a half years in development from when Retro took over.

Even a vague 2023 would be good.

I'd suppose it would be too much to hope for a release window for Prime 4 if it got revealed next year? That would make it three and a half years in development from when Retro took over.

Even a vague 2023 would be good.
Probably depends on how confident they feel about a release in 2023. If they are certain about it, I think they will give a vague release window.

Ooh boy, I have a lot of opinions about MP4. One of my most anticipated games ever at this point.

The first is that I really, really hope it's either crossgen or next-gen exclusive. The next-gen Switch looks like it'll launch at or before March 2023 so that lines up.

Why? Because atmosphere is incredibly integral to the Prime series, and graphical fidelity DOES matter to immersion in first person games. Prime and Prime 2 had pretty much console-leading visuals at the time. You can't tell me Halo looked better. Not now, not then. Having played brilliant first person sci-fi games like Prey or Alien Isolation at 4k, it would be hard to get truly immersed in a first person game running on a 55+ inch TV at 900p or less.

Further, there's no better game to sell a new Switch with. Why? Because the hardcore will love it, and make noise on social media. That's what you want at launch. A game with a smaller, core fanbase that will create a ton of positive noise and hype online. You won't even lose out on too many sales due to a lack of install base because hardcore Metroid / Nintendo fans will buy the console for it right away and there's a cap on its appeal anyway. It's the opposite of an Animal Crossing or Mario Kart where you want to wait until a lot of the casual audience is already there or you're losing sales.

We can already see this as a kind of strategy as they've used Dread to launch the OLED model to great effect. They'd be wise to do so again.

As for gameplay, I hope the slower, methodical, curious Samus returns. I want to feel like an alien botanist again. I want to take my time.

Regarding combat, Samus has to give and take more damage. Metroid Prime was way too damage-spongey, which made it boring at times. I'm pretty sure that's why the corruption beam was introduced in 3 - to add some risk reward to combat and speed it up. And it was good. Lastly, more concussive hit effects - I don't want to be shooting pac-pellets at dudes in a 3d space. Bosses? They can't have such long invulnerability periods as in the original Prime. If they go invulnerable, there should be something you can do to break them out of it early if you're highly skilled. Waiting for Thardus to stop rolling, Ridley to fly back, Prime to drop a Phazon puddle - these were the most tedious parts of Prime once you knew the game.

The game can't follow just another repeat of the Super / Prime 1 upgrades, either. Let's not go Power Suit -> Varia Suit -> Gravity Suit again. Be like Primes 2 and 3 and shake it up.

Lastly - difficulty. This should be split into two - combat difficulty and exploration difficulty. Give me settings where I can turn off hints, turn off the scan visor pointing out breakable walls etc. Let me discover that stuff on my own. Let me get lost.

Do all that, and it'll be hard to mess it up.

EDIT: Oh, and importantly - story!

Here's my pitch:
1. Samus
2. Alone
3. On an alien planet
4. Hunting a threat
5. No federation, no voice acting, no rivals. Nada.

Ooh boy, I have a lot of opinions about MP4. One of my most anticipated games ever at this point.

The first is that I really, really hope it's either crossgen or next-gen exclusive. The next-gen Switch looks like it'll launch at or before March 2023 so that lines up.

Why? Because atmosphere is incredibly integral to the Prime series, and graphical fidelity DOES matter to immersion in first person games. Prime and Prime 2 had pretty much console-leading visuals at the time. You can't tell me Halo looked better. Not now, not then. Having played brilliant first person sci-fi games like Prey or Alien Isolation at 4k, it would be hard to get truly immersed in a first person game running on a 55+ inch TV at 900p or less.

Further, there's no better game to sell a new Switch with. Why? Because the hardcore will love it, and make noise on social media. That's what you want at launch. A game with a smaller, core fanbase that will create a ton of positive noise and hype online. You won't even lose out on too many sales due to a lack of install base because hardcore Metroid / Nintendo fans will buy the console for it right away and there's a cap on its appeal anyway. It's the opposite of an Animal Crossing or Mario Kart where you want to wait until a lot of the casual audience is already there or you're losing sales.

We can already see this as a kind of strategy as they've used Dread to launch the OLED model to great effect. They'd be wise to do so again.

As for gameplay, I hope the slower, methodical, curious Samus returns. I want to feel like an alien botanist again. I want to take my time.

Regarding combat, Samus has to give and take more damage. Metroid Prime was way too damage-spongey, which made it boring at times. I'm pretty sure that's why the corruption beam was introduced in 3 - to add some risk reward to combat and speed it up. And it was good. Lastly, more concussive hit effects - I don't want to be shooting pac-pellets at dudes in a 3d space. Bosses? They can't have such long invulnerability periods as in the original Prime. If they go invulnerable, there should be something you can do to break them out of it early if you're highly skilled. Waiting for Thardus to stop rolling, Ridley to fly back, Prime to drop a Phazon puddle - these were the most tedious parts of Prime once you knew the game.

The game can't follow just another repeat of the Super / Prime 1 upgrades, either. Let's not go Power Suit -> Varia Suit -> Gravity Suit again. Be like Primes 2 and 3 and shake it up.

Lastly - difficulty. This should be split into two - combat difficulty and exploration difficulty. Give me settings where I can turn off hints, turn off the scan visor pointing out breakable walls etc. Let me discover that stuff on my own. Let me get lost.

Do all that, and it'll be hard to mess it up.

EDIT: Oh, and importantly - story!

Here's my pitch:
1. Samus
2. Alone
3. On an alien planet
4. Hunting a threat

I think I agree with everything you said. But not sure if I'm wrong, Retro hired many people from studios that made somewhat cinematic first person shooters. (I seriously don't remember from which studio, maybe machinegames?)

After Dread the hype for Prime 4 Is personally over 9000, but I have this feeling that it will be closer to a modern FPS than to the classic isolating Prime experience. Hope I'm wrong.

I think I agree with everything you said. But not sure if I'm wrong, Retro hired many people from studios that made somewhat cinematic first person shooters. (I seriously don't remember from which studio, maybe machinegames?)

After Dread the hype for Prime 4 Is personally over 9000, but I have this feeling that it will be closer to a modern FPS than to the classic isolating Prime experience. Hope I'm wrong.
I mean, what's a cinematic FPS, exactly? I'm really not sure I know what that would be.

Like I mentioned, there are tons of FPS games not focused on combat with involved metroid-esque level design and atmosphere like Alien Isolation or Prey.

I don't play any military-based games, so I can't comment on those, but I can't imagine in a million years that a Metroid Prime game would play like Call of Duty (or, say Titanfall 2, good as that was). I imagine that the cinematics guys are just going to be for the various boss cutscenes and few story dumps cutscenes - no different than Dread, where everything works pretty well.

They already have the template in Prime. They just need to iterate on it.

I mean, what's a cinematic FPS, exactly? I'm really not sure I know what that would be.

Like I mentioned, there are tons of FPS games not focused on combat with involved metroid-esque level design and atmosphere like Alien Isolation or Prey.

I don't play any military-based games, so I can't comment on those, but I can't imagine in a million years that a Metroid Prime game would play like Call of Duty (or, say Titanfall 2, good as that was). I imagine that the cinematics guys are just going to be for the various boss cutscenes and few story dumps cutscenes - no different than Dread, where everything works pretty well.

They already have the template in Prime. They just need to iterate on it.
What I was trying to say is that I wouldn't bet at all, considering who they hired, that your pitch will be real.
Here's my pitch:
1. Samus
2. Alone
3. On an alien planet
4. Hunting a threat

Didn't the original press release for Prime 4 state that it would be taking cues from the first game re:isolation? I can't imagine that that would have changed too much, even with the staff hires.

Didn't the original press release for Prime 4 state that it would be taking cues from the first game re:isolation? I can't imagine that that would have changed too much, even with the staff hires.
Isolation doesn't have to mean the absence of other characters in the story.

Yep here it is
factsheet-e32017-metrlws0a.png

Isolation doesn't have to mean the absence of other characters in the story.
And after all this time, I'm sure Tanabe wants his little pal Sylux to have his time in the sun, among others.

On one hand, I do like the suggested idea that whatever Sylux does with the Metroid he snatched in Fed Force is what triggers the order from the Federation to exterminate all the Metroids on SR388. But on the other? After what happened in Dread, I only reiterate my wish that the two series did more to compliment each other by telling different stories within the same relative time period.

There's so much potential to grow the universe, now, in that period. If given the chance, I'm sure that Tanabe and Retro could do great things, exploring Samus going after the remnants of the rogue faction of the Federation and the like, because they're the side of the franchise that would be especially good for this type of thing. Let alone everything we learned in Dread about the Chozo and Samus, herself, that's just begging for even more expansion.

I can't be the only one who wished we could've had "scannable" lore on ZDR, allowing us to get into the heads of
Raven Beak and his Mawkin faction, plus Quiet Robe
, especially as things went from bad to worse!

If Prime 1 remake/remaster is real, how close to MP4 do we think it will be in terms of visuals? It's probably a silly thought but I'm wondering if the remaster would lessen the impact of MP4's gameplay reveal.

I don't necessarily think it will because I'm sure they will make it a hype reveal for MP4. There will probably be new gameplay elements or other additions that weren't present in the trilogy. However, I'm curious what other people might think!

If Prime 1 remake/remaster is real, how close to MP4 do we think it will be in terms of visuals? It's probably a silly thought but I'm wondering if the remaster would lessen the impact of MP4's gameplay reveal.

I don't necessarily think it will because I'm sure they will make it a hype reveal for MP4. There will probably be new gameplay elements or other additions that weren't present in the trilogy. However, I'm curious what other people might think!
It won’t be close to Prime 4. At the end of the day it’s just a remaster with a much smaller budget compared to Prime 4.

I'm wondering where in the series' timeline this game is taking place. I really hope this game takes place after Metroid Dread. That game does some really cool story stuff that I absolutely want the series to do more with.

I'm wondering where in the series' timeline this game is taking place. I really hope this game takes place after Metroid Dread. That game does some really cool story stuff that I absolutely want the series to do more with.
It’s likely that Metroid 6 will do that, the Prime games are kind of in their own little pocket of the timeline (between Metroid 1 & 2)

Prime 4 will most likely take place between 1 and 2, but they can honestly do whatever they want. Idk if Tanabe will still get or even wants the time shift mechanics he spoke of years ago.

More than likely it's just gonna take place right after Prime 3 and Federation Force (so before Metroid 2).

The Prime series is meant to be its own self contained storyline within the Metroid universe that doesn't mingle with Sakamoto's "mainline" games.

Dread pumped me up for this so much. I really hope it's a similar return to form, perhaps with the same increased attention to combat.

This is where I'm at, though I'm expecting to see something from Prime 4 before Prime 1 remaster/remake (assuming the former is in fact far enough along next year to commit to 2023). While Nintendo loves to keep things close to release, I don't think they want to play the 'the team is hard at work on Prime 4' game again. Revealing and releasing three Metroid titles between the Prime 4 teaser and the first actual footage would be absurd.

The slower movement complemented the tank controls. In this day and age, there's no excuse to keep doing tank controls - especially if they want to match Dread's attention and improvement to combat and movement. I expect we'll see a more standard/modern control setup with better movement to go with it.
I believe that a Prime 4 reveal (for real this time) immediately followed by a Prime remake infodump and soonish release would make sense.

Honestly, my only hope for Prime 4 is that it's a Metroid Prime game. I hear stuff like "it should be like Doom Eternal" and I'm not sure I want that. I always liked the slower pace of the Prime games compared to the 2D games. Gives you more opportunity to let the world soak in.

Honestly, my only hope for Prime 4 is that it's a Metroid Prime game. I hear stuff like "it should be like Doom Eternal" and I'm not sure I want that. I always liked the slower pace of the Prime games compared to the 2D games. Gives you more opportunity to let the world soak in.
Yeah Prime’s slower pace would be a nice contrast to how quick and flashy Dread is

Yeah. I don’t want any action oriented Prime game. It can have more combat, but it should have the more slower exploration pace.

Here are some snippets of Prime 4 from a eurogamer interview with Tanabe. Interesting tidbits if anyone has not seen it.

"The stories of Dark Samus and Phazon are done now," he confirmed, before adding that the series would still focus on other Prime-series elements.

Tanabe also considered the cliffhanger tease at the end of Corruption wrapped up too. The mysterious ship that tailed Samus at the end of the game is actually a character from Metroid Prime: Hunters, tying that spin-off into the main sub-series.

"So it was Sylux, another hunter from Metroid Prime Hunters at the end of Metroid Prime 3. Personally I'd like to create a story centring around Sylux and Samus," he said.

"We've done a story based on the Hunters, and this time around we're doing a story on the Galactic Federation," he added, referring to his new 3DS game. "I would like to cross the two over in the future. And of course see a little more of Samus."

Yea hoping they explore interesting ways for combat like this gif from a cool tech demo.

m2FMDRT.gif

The counter from Dread is the one thing I think that would transfer perfectly to Prime with it being first person and all. Before you had to awkwardly backup or shoot if you had something like a War Wasp in your face so the melee counter as a "get off me" or parry mechanic would be neat.

Yea hoping they explore interesting ways for combat like this gif from a cool tech demo.

m2FMDRT.gif

The counter from Dread is the one thing I think that would transfer perfectly to Prime with it being first person and all. Before you had to awkwardly backup or shoot if you had something like a War Wasp in your face so the melee counter as a "get off me" or parry mechanic would be neat.
Coming off of Halo, a melee attack was always something that I felt was missing in Prime. Like, there's a couple of instances with Shadow Pirates in Prime 1 where I was like "why can't I just punch these dudes?". Having a "get off me" melee attack would be quite nice.

Still saying that it would be a huge missed opportunity if they don't make Sylux a woman to contrast with Samus and play with the themes of the franchise.

And that's without even mentioning the shipping potential.

I kinda hope they do a fresh take not fully like breath of the wild i guess dunno if nintendo would pay that kind of budget but yeah would be sweet to do something crazy but cool. Aslong as it's not like other m haha.

m2FMDRT.gif

Is this tech demo from one of the Prime games or fan-made?? đź‘€

Listening to all the Prime games OSTs - remastered music is the hypest part of the remakes for me if they’re true

Hearing these classic tunes in better sound quality (dont fuck with the instrumentation, just improve the sound quality) is going to be pure bliss

I tell you what

I feel bad for ol' Sylux

Purt near twenty years they've spent building up Sylux into a potential rival, laying breadcrumbs, trying to get them over

And the Chozo General from Dread managed to overshadow all of that in one trailer, and has become what might be the favorite Metroid antagonist of all time in like a week of Dread actually being out

I tell you what

I feel bad for ol' Sylux

Purt near twenty years they've spent building up Sylux into a potential rival, laying breadcrumbs, trying to get them over

And the Chozo General from Dread managed to overshadow all of that in one trailer, and has become what might be the favorite Metroid antagonist of all time in like a week of Dread actually being out
Sylux needs to be a woman under that suit.

I need Samus to have a female rival character, and I trust Retro to handle that over Sakamoto. (Love the dude but that’s the one area I don’t think I can trust him with again after Other M)

Sylux needs to be a woman under that suit.

I need Samus to have a female rival character, and I trust Retro to handle that over Sakamoto. (Love the dude but that’s the one area I don’t think I can trust him with again after Other M)
I think the first thing we gotta worry about is Sylux actually being cool instead of uncool

But yeah it would be neat if Samus had a female antagonist who wasn't a cosmic horror or Melissa Bergman

I tell you what

I feel bad for ol' Sylux

Eh, Sylux had always been regarded as more of a meme with hardcore Prime fans. People are still excited to see what they do with him, and the novelty of having a minor spinoff antagonist be hyped up for 15~ years is pretty funny and cool. But he's such a blank-slate right now there's not much to anticipate besides his presence alone. Sylux is practically just a design with vague "really hates Samus/Federation, has stolen fed gear" character details (from Hunter's fucking manual lol).

Beak immediately had an interesting character hook from SR (evil Chozo who massacred a bunch for unknown reasons) that got people excited. Apples and oranges.

Please let there be sequence breaking and shine sparking in Prime 4!
None of the Primes had (non-glitched) sequence breaking, wouldn't be surprised if Prime 4 followed the pattern unless it adopts a really "open" design philosophy. Would be cool if it had it though, I wish more Metroids pulled from ZM's non-linearity where you can collect major upgrades/beat major bosses in significantly different orders

Shinespark would also be neat, but I can't see how it would work. They already concepts Speedbooster in one of the Prime games and found it was unviable

Back
Top Bottom