• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

I'd be too rusty to tolerate dread mode to get far enough in to find out but does environmental damage kill her?

The poison cloud ejecting things would be a pain if so.

I'd be too rusty to tolerate dread mode to get far enough in to find out but does environmental damage kill her?

The poison cloud ejecting things would be a pain if so.
Yes, everything is insta-kill except (to my knowledge) from hot rooms, cold rooms, and lava which just deal tick based damage like normal.

Dread Mode 0% run cleared.

uBYAUsD.jpg

Nearly 200 deaths, just like @Skipper93653 🤯

@Aurc @Skipper93653 what would you say was the hardest bit of the game in Dread mode? I’m imagining Z57 would be brutal.
Z-57 was absolutely one of the more difficult ones for me, haha. I just kept getting dumb deaths on him that were completely my own fault. Mainly stuff like touching a single pixel of the pink slime residue, or dashing too late, and getting skimmed by the beam. Same stuff I struggled with on my 0% run from last year.

I think I could've made the fight so short and easy if I'd just Shinesparked him, but since I'd never done that before, I just opted to fight him normally. I still haven't done any of the special kills on bosses (not even the Kraid one), so that gives me something to do on future playthroughs.

Outside of Z-57, Escue also gave me a bit of trouble, thanks to those times where I'd get touched by a single projectile of the missile barrage. Annoying!

Raven Beak was a lot easier than I expected, and took me only 6-8 tries. I think that's down to how telegraphed and easily avoidable his moves are, provided you know them all.

I still haven't done any of the special kills on bosses.

Escue also gave me a bit of trouble
You've never ran in to it's room? Takes like 3 hits if you do, sod doing that thing the slow way when you can't get hit.

Whew.

Restarted the Game for the fifth time two days algo on Dread Mode.

Right now i've got the multi missile upgrade.

It's difficult, but not impossible, i recommend you to give It a try because it's an amazing experience.

Best 2D Metroid along with Super, period.

Whew.

Restarted the Game for the fifth time two days algo on Dread Mode.

Right now i've got the multi missile upgrade.

It's difficult, but not impossible, i recommend you to give It a try because it's an amazing experience.

Best 2D Metroid along with Super, period.
Yeah. I came to the same conclusion. The movement, the combat and the overall gameplay is just too good

You all are so good at this game! Lol. I didn’t even get past all the EMMI. :( I love Metroid but just couldn’t get into this one. Wondering if I should redownload. Anyone try the Rookie mode? Is it appreciably easier?

You all are so good at this game! Lol. I didn’t even get past all the EMMI. :( I love Metroid but just couldn’t get into this one. Wondering if I should redownload. Anyone try the Rookie mode? Is it appreciably easier?
Rookie mode starts you off with a ton of extra missiles, gives you more health/missile drops from killing enemies, makes bosses deal out less damage, and makes some counters easier.

Rookie mode starts you off with a ton of extra missiles, gives you more health/missile drops from killing enemies, makes bosses deal out less damage, and makes some counters easier.

Hmm, that does sound helpful for sure. Maybe I will give it another shot, haven’t touched it since last fall.

…and uh, if you or anyone has any hot EMMI strats, I am your student 🙏

Although I've not tried Rookie Mode myself, it does seem to make the game a respectable bit more accessible to a wider array of players, based on what I've heard! I highly encourage you to give the game another go with it, and see if it makes a meaningful difference for ya! Would love to read your thoughts, if you do end up going that route.
Hmm, that does sound helpful for sure. Maybe I will give it another shot, haven’t touched it since last fall.

As is the case in most of the games, Samus can Wall Jump from the get-go, and Dread's implementation is fairly straightforward (hold in the direction of the wall, and press jump), so don't forget to make use of that in your escape efforts, if you end up getting spotted. Jumping off a wall to reach a platform can sometimes get you onto it that much quicker.

This is also a big one, and I somehow didn't realize it until I'd already finished the game, multiple times: when an E.M.M.I. grabs Samus, you are given not one, but two opportunities to counter the attack: once during the initial red flash, and another during a second red flash, just before the needle hits. You can't really get "good" at countering an E.M.M.I., given that their attacks are intentionally designed without a consistent counter window, but two chances to get it right means two chances to get lucky, and potentially avoid a death.

My advice on EMMIs would be to pay attention to your surroundings and stay on the move. Most of the time it's better to treat the room as a parkour course rather than an operation in stealth. Find obstacles you can loop around to buy yourself time to calm down and think/locate an exit.

What Aurc said about the counters is very important too. The game really tricks you into believing you only get one opportunity when it's two.

Finally started playing the new modes. Had many dumb deaths in Dread Mode, but I did do Raven Beak first try, so that was satisfying. I'm sure Dread Rush will be "fun."

My advice on EMMIs would be to pay attention to your surroundings and stay on the move. Most of the time it's better to treat the room as a parkour course rather than an operation in stealth. Find obstacles you can loop around to buy yourself time to calm down and think/locate an exit.

What Aurc said about the counters is very important too. The game really tricks you into believing you only get one opportunity when it's two.

Emmis actually have to follow a very strict set of movement rules.

1. They must have a surface adjacent to them at all times. Even if they don't use it for walking on.

2. They can only clear gaps one 'themself' in size.

3. No diagonals, only up down left or right. They stink at diagonals.

Is this the new Metroid general discussion thread, fam?

I take a few weeks off for summer fun, the Prime HD dream is dead and we're already back to talking about Dread? SMH...

Trying Dread Mode for the first time. Really enjoying it a lot. Its a completely different play style at first.

Kraid will fuck me up tho lol

EDIT: remembered the sequence break for early bombs. Not minding Kraid anymore.
I have no clue why, but on my first playthrough Kraid was by far the hardest boss in the game. I guess I was just having to relearn the controls vs. other 2D Metroids and the different style of play, but even big boi RB didn't kill me so many times 😅

Welcome back, Eli 🤣 Metroid general still isn't up yet. We can congregate under any of the Metroid threads currently going, though. There isn't a lot that can stop our passion for the series 😎

I have no clue why, but on my first playthrough Kraid was by far the hardest boss in the game. I guess I was just having to relearn the controls vs. other 2D Metroids and the different style of play, but even big boi RB didn't kill me so many times 😅
He is for sure they very first big test if you really understood the game correctly. He killed me a lot to say the last when I first played Dread.

Trying Dread Mode for the first time. Really enjoying it a lot. Its a completely different play style at first.

Prepare to die a lot more. Dread Mode is a real test of patience. If you have Raven Beak's patterns mostly down from previous playthroughs, he's actually not as bad as you'd expect, though, so at least there's that.

Prepare to die a lot more. Dread Mode is a real test of patience. If you have Raven Beak's patterns mostly down from previous playthroughs, he's actually not as bad as you'd expect, though, so at least there's that.
that guardian dude after Quiet Robe sure loves to fuck me up yeah

Fuck these guys, especially in enclosed spaces. I usually managed to die to them because one pixel of Samus's toe would skim the top of their bodies, as I was trying to jump or dash away.
100 % agreed lol

Welcome back, Eli 🤣 Metroid general still isn't up yet. We can congregate under any of the Metroid threads currently going, though. There isn't a lot that can stop our passion for the series 😎
Happy to be back! Not many of our sightseeing plans worked out but the girlfriend and I got some good time out on the beach. Got my ears pierced for the first time too! Liking the look. 😎

I was hoping for a lot more Prime smoke by the time I came back but it seems quiet... I'd be happy for an announcement of any kind at this point but I'm not gonna lie, I'd be a little insulted if a game of its pedigree was relegated to a Twitter drop.

Happy to be back! Not many of our sightseeing plans worked out but the girlfriend and I got some good time out on the beach. Got my ears pierced for the first time too! Liking the look. 😎

I was hoping for a lot more Prime smoke by the time I came back but it seems quiet... I'd be happy for an announcement of any kind at this point but I'm not gonna lie, I'd be a little insulted if a game of its pedigree was relegated to a Twitter drop.
It's a shame when plans don't work out, but it sounds like you still made the most of your time. Glad to hear it! I've never gotten a piercing or tattoo. I wonder if I ever will, in the future. 😅

I was also hoping for maybe a bit more of a substantive Prime spark by now, but I remain optimistic. We're not even halfway through July yet, so who knows. Here's hoping we get a presentation of some sort.

I've never gotten a piercing or tattoo. I wonder if I ever will, in the future. 😅
Being able to take them out was a big draw for me vs. a tattoo where you're just stuck with it. Plus I'm a huge wimp about pain so I had to try and pick the easiest possible thing to test myself... 😅 I do have a ton of really cool tattoo ideas (yes some are Metroid related, how did you know?) but I'm very very meticulous about everything lining up and "feeling right" before making decisions like that so if I ever get one it'll be a small miracle (and then I probably won't be able to stop lol)

I was also hoping for maybe a bit more of a substantive Prime spark by now, but I remain optimistic. We're not even halfway through July yet, so who knows. Here's hoping we get a presentation of some sort.
Oh I'm being completely unreasonable for sure, I just don't want to wait until September and everything else I've been hyped for has been delayed either to 2023 or indefinitely. Need food. 😮‍💨

Being able to take them out was a big draw for me vs. a tattoo where you're just stuck with it. Plus I'm a huge wimp about pain so I had to try and pick the easiest possible thing to test myself... 😅 I do have a ton of really cool tattoo ideas (yes some are Metroid related, how did you know?) but I'm very very meticulous about everything lining up and "feeling right" before making decisions like that so if I ever get one it'll be a small miracle (and then I probably won't be able to stop lol)
Oh, I definitely get you. It's a big step to take. I have no immediate plans for a tattoo, but if I were to get anything gaming related, I'm 90% sure it'd be a Metroid tat, of some sort. The nature of a permanent marking like that would demand careful consideration, and Metroid is among the only series I love to the same extent now, that I did all those years ago, when I was first introduced to it. Our gaming tastes change as we mature, and the things we enjoy as adults are not always the ones we did as children, but Metroid has always been my #1.
Oh I'm being completely unreasonable for sure, I just don't want to wait until September and everything else I've been hyped for has been delayed either to 2023 or indefinitely. Need food. 😮‍💨
Ugh, same. I'm super curious as to what the marketing cycle is going to look like, if this thing turns out to be real, and is coming this year. They've got to afford themselves ample time to get it on people's radars, after all. I'm also wondering if a Special Edition and / or amiibo releasing alongside it are at all a possibility.

Last edited:
Oh, I definitely get you. It's a big step to take. I have no immediate plans for a tattoo, but if I were to get anything gaming related, I'm 90% sure it'd be a Metroid tat, of some sort. The nature of a permanent marking like that would demand careful consideration, and Metroid is perhaps the only series I love to the same extent now, that I did all those years ago, when I was first introduced to it. Our gaming tastes change as we mature, and the things we enjoy as adults are not always the ones we did as children, but Metroid has always been my #1.
Same here! That consistency makes me a lot more comfortable with getting something from the series. I would only get something that stood out on its own without branding - an old friend of mine had the beam hand signs from Prime. It was a cool idea that could stand on its own as visually interesting. Something like that that wouldn't be immediately recognizable to just anybody definitely appeals a lot more to me. The only other gaming related one I've considered has been one of the sigils from Shadow of the Colossus in a "vulnerable" spot - preferably with glow in the dark ink if possible. It's another game that I replay almost yearly as I've always found it profoundly beautiful.

Ugh, same. I'm super curious as to what the marketing cycle is going to look like, if this thing turns out to be real, and is coming this year. They've got to afford themselves ample time to get it on people's radars, after all. I'm also wondering if a Special Edition and / or amiibo releasing alongside it are at all a possibility.
I guess that's a lot of my fear is that I just want to make sure it's given room to breathe and a fair marketing cycle. The longer that goes by the more unlikely that seems, and I still am a bit jaded by Nintendo's handling of the series in the past. I really want Prime to reach a whole new audience and be appreciated for the masterpiece of a game it is again.

Same here! That consistency makes me a lot more comfortable with getting something from the series. I would only get something that stood out on its own without branding - an old friend of mine had the beam hand signs from Prime. It was a cool idea that could stand on its own as visually interesting. Something like that that wouldn't be immediately recognizable to just anybody definitely appeals a lot more to me. The only other gaming related one I've considered has been one of the sigils from Shadow of the Colossus in a "vulnerable" spot - preferably with glow in the dark ink if possible. It's another game that I replay almost yearly as I've always found it profoundly beautiful.
I dig the idea of getting the beam hand signs from Prime as a tattoo. They have that minimalist, yet still intriguing quality to them.

Wait, you love Shadow of the Colossus too?! I can't remember if we talked about that before. Probably not. It's my second favorite game of all time, right behind Resident Evil 4. Easily among the all time GOATs! Indeed, such a beautiful experience. A colossus sigil sounds like a fantastic idea for a gaming tattoo.

The Halo of the Sun from Silent Hill is yet another I'd consider:
Beautifully intricate.
I guess that's a lot of my fear is that I just want to make sure it's given room to breathe and a fair marketing cycle. The longer that goes by the more unlikely that seems, and I still am a bit jaded by Nintendo's handling of the series in the past. I really want Prime to reach a whole new audience and be appreciated for the masterpiece of a game it is again.
I'm right there alongside you. I still firmly believe it's going to happen, thanks to how confident multiple reputable insiders have been in going on record saying it's releasing late this year, but ultimately, no matter when it comes, I just hope it does well, at least by Metroid series standards. The series will likely always remain niche, despite its impact and influence on gaming, and I've accepted that, but I wish to never again have to worry for its future.

Can you actually do the Kraid quick kill with bombs in Dread Mode? It does damage you so I assumed you couldn't. Then again you can also survive damage from hot/cold rooms and even lava, as well as the drain from Phantom Cloak (which imo should all kill you) so I guess it could be like that.

Can you actually do the Kraid quick kill with bombs in Dread Mode? It does damage you so I assumed you couldn't. Then again you can also survive damage from hot/cold rooms and even lava, as well as the drain from Phantom Cloak (which imo should all kill you) so I guess it could be like that.
you actually can yeah. Getting the bombs early surely saved me around 30-100 deaths against Kraid lol

Pretty sure I'd still be at kraid today if I couldn't lol.

So I just cleared Dread mode for the first time. Raven Beak wasn't as hard as I thought he would be. What a great, great, greeeeeeeat boss fight. chefkiss
Playing through Dread mode is really unlike any other Metroid game I've experienced over the years. Safe points really matter a lot here. You really have to watch your surroundings, the enemy and boss patterns.

Overall the game is everything I could have wished for back in 2021. It really is one of the finest gaming experiences I had the honor to play through.
It became my favorite Metroid the last few weeks and certainly one of my personal favorite games in general. The best thing about Dread is that it feels like a new beginning for the franchise. It feels so good to be a fan nowadays.

Now the wait for Prime 4 begins....

So I just cleared Dread mode for the first time. Raven Beak wasn't as hard as I thought he would be. What a great, great, greeeeeeeat boss fight. chefkiss
Playing through Dread mode is really unlike any other Metroid game I've experienced over the years. Safe points really matter a lot here. You really have to watch your surroundings, the enemy and boss patterns.

Overall the game is everything I could have wished for back in 2021. It really is one of the finest gaming experiences I had honor to play through.
It became my favorite Metroid the last few weeks and certainly one of my personal favorite games in general. The best thing about Dread is that it feels like a new beginning for the franchise. It feels so good to be a fan nowadays.

Now the wait for Prime 4 begins....
Congrats, friend!

But you're 5 years late. 😮‍💨

Back
Top Bottom