• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

I finished the game at 49% items and still have a week left on the renting. Idk if I ask the person who rented it to me if I can try another game or if I try to catch more items and continue boss rush. I think that I can get tired of the game if I jump on a new playthrough right away? Idk fami help me lol.

I loved the game so much that I replayed it on hard immediately after completing it the first time. You'll be shocked at just how much easier you get through it! Within the first few months of having the game I played it 4 times. I haven't played it since then so as to not OD on it, but I'm already craving another playthrough. It's an addicting game that hard to get tired of.

I really want to see where the story goes next. Wish we got something like a standalone DLC of what happened right after Dread ends.

But maybe they go on a different route and introduce a new enemy or make a prequel to Metroid 1. Reboot maybe? What if Prime 4 is a reboot of all franchise and unifies the timelines? Idk but I'm really excited for the future. Please Nintendo just announce Prime Remastered already!!

Seems like a DLC is really unlikely at this point. I guess you never know though. But from what Sakamoto has said about the series in post Dread interviews, it seems like he's very interested in continuing the story after Dread. I'm super excited to see where they'll go with it now that they have a clean slate.

As for Prime 4, it seems almost certain that Tanabe has had this mapped out for years. I don't see any scenario where it doesn't continue where Federation Force left off.

Last edited:
I loved the game so much that I replayed it on hard immediately after completing it the first time. You'll be shocked at just how much easier you get through it! Within the first few months of having the game I played it 4 times. I haven't played it since then so as to not OD on it, but I'm already craving another playthrough. It's an addicting game that hard to get tired of.

Seems like a DLC is really unlikely at this point. I guess you never know though. But from what Sakamoto has said about the series in post Dread interviews, it seems like he's very interested in continuing the story after Dread. I'm super excited to see where they'll go with it now that they have a clean slate.

As for Prime 4, it seems almost certain that Tanabe has had this mapped out for years. I don't see any scenario where it doesn't continue where Federation Force left off.
Thank you very much!! I'll continue to play it then, I finished it really fast so I have time to enjoy it more.

Oh yeah, DLC ship really sailed. But I would still predict a DLC that's also a standalone game like Torna. Tho I'm super excited to where they go next with the story. I definitely wouldn't mind if they used Dread as a foundation and go for a iterative sequel so I have it as soon as it's possible lol. I think 2024 will be out year ;) I mean I would go wild and say 2023 but MP4 is that year!

Definitely, I forgot the 2015 interviews with Tanabe where he talked about how a new Metroid Prime would be. Anyways I'm starving for news!!

Thank you very much!! I'll continue to play it then, I finished it really fast so I have time to enjoy it more.

Oh yeah, DLC ship really sailed. But I would still predict a DLC that's also a standalone game like Torna. Tho I'm super excited to where they go next with the story. I definitely wouldn't mind if they used Dread as a foundation and go for a iterative sequel so I have it as soon as it's possible lol. I think 2024 will be out year ;) I mean I would go wild and say 2023 but MP4 is that year!

Definitely, I forgot the 2015 interviews with Tanabe where he talked about how a new Metroid Prime would be. Anyways I'm starving for news!!

Honestly, I'm hoping they do something more ambitious with Metroid 6. It's not just a chance to take the story in new directions, but gameplay as well. I know most will disagree with me, but Other M had a lot of cool ideas, and was a really ambitious game. The execution was a mixed bag though, and there was a lot bogging it down.

Imagine a hybrid 2D/3D game with the smooth buttery gameplay of Dread. And imagine a more cinematic approach with a more in depth story with a fully voiced Samus, but only with good writing and voice acting, and no misogynistic Adam nonsense. It could be glorious.

Honestly, I'm hoping they do something more ambitious with Metroid 6. It's not just a chance to take the story in new directions, but gameplay as well. I know most will disagree with me, but Other M had a lot of cool ideas, and was a really ambitious game. The execution was a mixed bag though, and there was a lot bogging it down.

Imagine a hybrid 2D/3D game with the smooth buttery gameplay of Dread. And imagine a more cinematic approach with a more in depth story with a fully voiced Samus, but only with good writing and voice acting, and no misogynistic Adam nonsense. It could be glorious.
That is actually my dream too!! I can't wait to see where they'll go next.

Meanwhile my roommate had to stop playing the game because the EMMIs were literally giving him panic attacks. I definitely agree that Fusion felt like it had more memorable developments happening on the station though
Dang! Yeah, I've heard of the E.M.M.I. having that effect on a number of players, and I certainly wasn't aiming to downplay that. It's totally valid. At the end of the day, MercurySteam did a solid job with the implementation of the E.M.M.I., and they serve their purpose well, in creating tense situations for the player to overcome. They're exciting to outmaneuver, and I never felt like they were unfair, or an obstacle that couldn't be overcome within a reasonable number of attempts. Their areas are designed in a manner that makes it easy for the player to loop them around, if necessary, which, in turn, makes it difficult to hit any real "dead ends". Additionally, the Phantom Cloak ability feels entirely optional, which I appreciate, since I prefer to stay on the move.
The thing is, maybe Sakamoto & MercurySteam didn’t wanted to make a Fusion 2.0 game. None of the Metroid game are the same if you look closer, they all have their own feel and it’s great this way.
Indeed, they're all fairly distinct from each other. To further clarify, it's not that I wished for Dread to be Fusion 2, but rather, I wanted it to serve as a natural progression of Fusion's strengths. Not simply going from SA-X, to E.M.M.I. (the leap is obvious there, and I would hope so, considering the 19 year gap), but factoring in other things, as well.

Think of the progression from the original Metroid, to Super. In some ways, Super was like a remake of the OG, before Zero Mission was. We're back on Zebes, but it's deeper, and more expansive. Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain are back as well, but bigger! Better! Know what I mean?

And yet, we wouldn't exactly sit here and call Super a shameless rehash of OG Metroid, because it's not. Instead, it uses the original game as merely a general template, and takes advantage of the massive jump from FDS / NES to SNES, to create something that meaningfully iterates upon the solid framework established by what came before it. The result, of course, is one of the greatest games of all time, but you don't need me to tell you that.

That sort of progression is something I sought from Dread. The game isn't a disappointment, or anything (on the contrary: it's excellent, and I've said that multiple times), but it's not all I hoped it'd be, either... and I guess that's okay. It's very difficult to make something that lives up to a collective fanbase's meteorically high expectations, that have been steadily building, over the course of two decades. What's important is that Metroid is finally back, and hope for its future has been reignited in a big way.

Uh... wow. Spoilers for Chozo Archives 08. I'd never noticed this before, but
the mysterious, cloaked figure has an arm cannon.
sfSXpfg.png
Credit to AkiWar on Reddit, for posting about this. I was doubtful of their claim, so I quickly opened up Photoshop to mess with the brightness and contrast, and sure enough...

Worth noting that Raven Beak is the only Chozo we've seen use an arm cannon, so assuming this individual is also a Chozo, they're surely of some significance.

Credit to AkiWar on Reddit, for posting about this. I was doubtful of their claim, so I quickly opened up Photoshop to mess with the brightness and contrast, and sure enough...

Worth noting that Raven Beak is the only Chozo we've seen use an arm cannon, so assuming this individual is also a Chozo, they're surely of some significance.
Samus Vergil? Samus Vergil.

I’ve hit the first real roadblock on this play through: the purple EMMI. Adam says to use the cloak but it just seems to see me the instant I have to switch it off? Something I’m missing?

UPDATE: Just tried for like half an hour straight and just cannot get through this zone to the Central Unit. Something tells me shooting its armour off and killing it is gonna be a real treat too. Frustrating! It can’t end like this!

Last edited:

I've been of the opinion that they should try a third person metroid game again since it seemed like they didn't have any ideas left for 2D metroid and dread further reinforced my belief.

I've been of the opinion that they should try a third person metroid game again since it seemed like they didn't have any ideas left for 2D metroid and dread further reinforced my belief.

I though Dread pushed the series forward quite a bit. Movement and controls were perfected to a degree way beyond my expectations. This is the first time that Metroid has felt like a pure action game, and to me that's a big change for the series, even though it's always had elements of it. I believe the Flash Shift is the single greatest dodge mechanic of all time. And it also doubles as a tool for exploration and puzzle solving. Movement like this opened up possibilities for boss encounters that were never possible in Metroid before. This is the first time I've ever been tempted to do a speed run in a Metroid game, or ANY game for that matter, because movement and control is just so sublime.

I get people not liking it though. It doesn't capitalize on the exploration or atmosphere that Metroid is know for. But that doesn't bother me, as I fully expect Prime 4 to be dripping with all that. They scratch different itches, but I love both for what they are.

But yeah, give us another 3D third person game please!

I though Dread pushed the series forward quite a bit. Movement and controls were perfected to a degree way beyond my expectations. This is the first time that Metroid has felt like a pure action game, and to me that's a big change for the series, even though it's always had elements of it. I believe the Flash Shift is the single greatest dodge mechanic of all time. And it also doubles as a tool for exploration and puzzle solving. Movement like this opened up possibilities for boss encounters that were never possible in Metroid before. This is the first time I've ever been tempted to do a speed run in a Metroid game, or ANY game for that matter, because movement and control is just so sublime.

I get people not liking it though. It doesn't capitalize on the exploration or atmosphere that Metroid is know for. But that doesn't bother me, as I fully expect Prime 4 to be dripping with all that. They scratch different itches, but I love both for what they are.

But yeah, give us another 3D third person game please!
I'm far more interested in exploration mechanics with metroid than action ones, dread has the same block destroying, grappling, speed boosting, etc. that we've seen since super metroid. I don't agree with the flash shift being an exploration/puzzle tool, it was made for combat purposes and they put in 2 or 3 instances of use for it to justify its uses in a metroidvania.

I can't say for sure prime 4 will focus on exploration, prime 3 had a stronger focus on action than 1/2 did

I'd prefer they do DMC3-esque character actions for 3rd person Metroid: stylish combat is the focus, but you can't ignore exploration either. Crib DMC1's sense of atmosphere while you're at it. It'd be nice for the series to have three different modes:

3rd person - all about the action
2D - balances thoughtful exploration with intense encounters
1st person - slower-paced exploration with a focus on endurance tests

I can't say for sure prime 4 will focus on exploration, prime 3 had a stronger focus on action than 1/2 did

Prime 3 being more action oriented game doesn't guarantee that Prime 4 will follow the same philosophy. You can see how BotW/Super Mario Odyssey are the polar opposite of Skyward Sword/3D World design-wise .
Conceptually, the Ridley scene in Other M was fine. If anything, the number of times Samus fights Ridley before OM actually makes the scene more sensical - the bastard ate her parents, refuses to stay down for good, and when his corpse is pulverised along with the Space Pirates in general, it seems like she might finally be free... and then he comes back. The real reason the scene sucks is that the game surrounding it has very bad storytelling that was compounded by a just-as-bad localization. Also, kind of wrapping around to how that's affected Dread, I hate the idea that if someone is characterized as strong or stoic, they aren't allowed to have a breaking point. The idea that it is "inconsistent" is not only absurd but reinforcing of awful views regarding mental health.
I still can't pass " this scene could be ok". With Samus Returns making the Prime Trilogy part of the cannon: She fought him like 5 times prior to the events of Other M.

If anything, her reaction should be like :

68d21f25ec657f4599fc6db07c8a93e3.gif

Yea, Smash Ultimate reveal handled her supposed reaction far more than Other M. :p

Sure but it doesn't guarantee that it won't either. It's 50/50 right now
I think there will be some focus on the action side while maintaining and expanding on the exploration side. Maybe even go for a sandboxy / open areas to attract broader audience and trying new ideas for the Prime series ? In the end Retro planned to go for Open World like structure for Prime 3 but got scrapped.

I'm far more interested in exploration mechanics with metroid than action ones, dread has the same block destroying, grappling, speed boosting, etc. that we've seen since super metroid. I don't agree with the flash shift being an exploration/puzzle tool, it was made for combat purposes and they put in 2 or 3 instances of use for it to justify its uses in a metroidvania.

Yeah, I hear you regarding Dread. For Prime 4, they said they're going to focus on the exploration and isolation aspects. But of course that was before Retro took over. Who knows if that changed. I kinda doubt it though since Tanabe is still charge. Also, Prime 3 being more action oriented was more the result of wanting to utilize the pointer controls on the Wiimote. It was a good call in my opinion. But since we have no Wii remote I doubt they're going to go down that route again. We'll see.

Last edited:
I’ve hit the first real roadblock on this play through: the purple EMMI. Adam says to use the cloak but it just seems to see me the instant I have to switch it off? Something I’m missing?

UPDATE: Just tried for like half an hour straight and just cannot get through this zone to the Central Unit. Something tells me shooting its armour off and killing it is gonna be a real treat too. Frustrating! It can’t end like this!
I had trouble on EMMI zones for a while because the game plays it off that they should be “stealth” sections when they’re really “run as fast as you can” sections.

I finished the game at 49% items and still have a week left on the renting. Idk if I ask the person who rented it to me if I can try another game or if I try to catch more items and continue boss rush. I think that I can get tired of the game if I jump on a new playthrough right away? Idk fami help me lol.
If you have the chance, you should try the early grapple beam/bombs sequence break. There's a lot of replayability in the sequence breaks.

And have you discovered the full potential of the speed booster yet? There're some really good puzzles with it, that you probably missed with your completion rate

I rather doubt Metroid will ever be successful enough to justify three mainline series. And Other M having such a horrible reception would make it even more difficult to sell Nintendo on a do-over of 3rd person Metroid. Fortunately, Dread was a massive success, and I expect Prime 4 to be one as well, so we're in no danger of the series disappearing.

I had trouble on EMMI zones for a while because the game plays it off that they should be “stealth” sections when they’re really “run as fast as you can” sections.
This is what I find weird about this one! I was given that great advice that served me well, but this one is like half submerged in water, and the EMMI can see you from other rooms! Eventually I clued in to using the grapple beam to move more quickly through the water but it still isn’t fast enough. It seems to change direction every like two seconds as well, I can use the cloak to make one move and then the second it’s switched off, it just spots me again. Super frustrating! I was really enjoying the game up until this, and I’m still not past it.

This is what I find weird about this one! I was given that great advice that served me well, but this one is like half submerged in water, and the EMMI can see you from other rooms! Eventually I clued in to using the grapple beam to move more quickly through the water but it still isn’t fast enough. It seems to change direction every like two seconds as well, I can use the cloak to make one move and then the second it’s switched off, it just spots me again. Super frustrating! I was really enjoying the game up until this, and I’m still not past it.
I'd love to give you some advice here but the only way I got through this EMMI section was by getting a lucky counter against it when it caught me. It's the only EMMI section that feels hugely unbalanced, the rest are all fun stealth/speed/traversal puzzles, but this one sucks.

Would love for them to release a collection.

Metroid / Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid 2 / Samus Returns
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Dread

Samus Returns for Switch in HD/4K would be a big selling point but probably the reason they wouldn’t want to sell it as a collection!

I rather doubt Metroid will ever be successful enough to justify three mainline series. And Other M having such a horrible reception would make it even more difficult to sell Nintendo on a do-over of 3rd person Metroid. Fortunately, Dread was a massive success, and I expect Prime 4 to be one as well, so we're in no danger of the series disappearing.

I'd like Other M to one day undergo a substantial remake that fixes the story.

I'd love to give you some advice here but the only way I got through this EMMI section was by getting a lucky counter against it when it caught me. It's the only EMMI section that feels hugely unbalanced, the rest are all fun stealth/speed/traversal puzzles, but this one sucks.
I appreciate you saying you think it’s off! It definitely doesn’t have the same excitement and, well, dread of the other sequences I came to really like. I just feel like a sitting duck lol.

It’s funny you mention the grab counter, I’ve landed a few in my attempts here…and they are always when I’m in the middle of a pocket of water! Maybe I’ll land one in a more fortunate situation. I hope it’s soon, because I just don’t have the drive to be stuck on a game for hours anymore. My half-completed Elden Ring save can attest to that. 😂

As much as I love Fusion (my favorite 2D Metroid), I don't particularly want a remake of it. I'm much more interested in how they're going to evolve the series now that the story arc has concluded. I'm hoping for some more significant change here. Basically, do something as bold as Other M, but without all the flaws. I know, easier said than done.

At this point, I wonder how many Metroid games Sakamoto has left in him, and I don't want the twilight of his career being spent on remakes.
Yeah, that's a perfectly valid standpoint to take. When I mentioned a Fusion remake, it was with the assumption that it's something that will eventually, inevitably manifest, regardless of whether we want it to, or not. I think we'll continue to get remakes, in addition to completely new games.

Personally, a Fusion remake is probably my dream game, to be honest, but the form I would want it to take is not only an unrealistic expectation, but an almost impossible one, even. Basically, I'd want it to be a 3D, third-person horror game, with a dynamically stalking SA-X, in the vein of the RE2 remake's Mr. X, or Alien: Isolation's Xenomorph. OST redone in a moody, darker synth style. The X Parasites capable of more complex permutations: grotesque amalgams, similar to the SA-X's transformation.

...Not just a Metroid game, but a full-on horror game? Marketed to Nintendo's audience? Yeah, that'd sell about a dozen copies, worldwide. I know it's never happening. I can dream, though.

Responding to your point about the future of the series: there are some clear, logical directions to take the story, from where Dread leaves things. Metroids potentially being used for the good of the universe has been a plot point since Super, where, through the baby, it was confirmed that Metroids are capable of not only absorbing energy, but distributing it, as well (casting heavy doubt on the classification of "parasite", that some would place them under). Tragically, it's a plot point that has never developed much beyond that, however.
Now that Samus has become the last Metroid, it would make sense for her to learn to harness her powers for good, simultaneously fulfilling not only her own purpose, but that of the baby, as well, and redeeming the Thoha for having created the species in the first place.

Not only that, but Old Bird's fate remains unknown, if I'm not mistaken. He could very well be the last surviving member of the Thoha. I'd like for Samus to seek him out. There's narrative potential there. Dread has paved the way for openly depicting living Chozo as characters in the games.
I'm now a couple of hours into the game, long past where I put it down last time, and wow. I've never been more happy to be wrong; Metroid Dread is fucking fantastic. This reply in particular changed my whole perspective on the game:

[...]

Looking back to my first attempt at a playthrough, this is totally what was causing me a bad time. I leaned way too hard into the game's explanation that an E.M.M.I can hear you, and therefore tried to take it slow...to my frequent demise. Thinking of their zones with a "parkour as fast as you can!" mindset instantly turned the tide! Absolutely loving this game now, can't wait to get back to it tonight.
Yes! Super glad you were able to experience that turnaround! Always a great feeling, when that happens.

The game can initially feel somewhat deceptive, in the way that it teaches you to deal with the E.M.M.I., honestly. You can go the entire game without ever using Phantom Cloak, if you're so inclined. Utilizing Samus's superb mobility is a far more enjoyable means of evading them.

I know you're currently struggling with the water E.M.M.I., and I'm rooting for you to get past it. That's probably the trickiest one in the game.

If you have the chance, you should try the early grapple beam/bombs sequence break. There's a lot of replayability in the sequence breaks.

And have you discovered the full potential of the speed booster yet? There're some really good puzzles with it, that you probably missed with your completion rate
I didn't do any sequence break I feel! I did some of the speed booster puzzles but definitely weren't the whole of them. I have just a few days left, will wander around and try everything I can!

Yeah, that's a perfectly valid standpoint to take. When I mentioned a Fusion remake, it was with the assumption that it's something that will eventually, inevitably manifest, regardless of whether we want it to, or not. I think we'll continue to get remakes, in addition to completely new games.

Personally, a Fusion remake is probably my dream game, to be honest, but the form I would want it to take is not only an unrealistic expectation, but an almost impossible one, even. Basically, I'd want it to be a 3D, third-person horror game, with a dynamically stalking SA-X, in the vein of the RE2 remake's Mr. X, or Alien: Isolation's Xenomorph. OST redone in a moody, darker synth style. The X Parasites capable of more complex permutations: grotesque amalgams, similar to the SA-X's transformation.

...Not just a Metroid game, but a full-on horror game? Marketed to Nintendo's audience? Yeah, that'd sell about a dozen copies, worldwide. I know it's never happening. I can dream, though.

That sounds really cool! Some of my favorite aspects of Metroid are when they lean into the horror elements. It's actually why I far prefer the OG Metroid 1 and 2 compared to their remakes. Those felt like legit horror experiences at times, and the remakes were far less menacing in their atmosphere. I'd love if with a potential Fusion remake they went in the other direction and actually doubled down on the horror elements, like you say.

Retro has always been good at incorporating some horror stuff into the Prime games as well, so I'm really looking forward to what they do for Prime 4.

Last edited:
Fusion is great and a remake would actually help it a lot since the GBA limited screen space hurts the game a bit. That said, I wouldn't want them to change how the SA-X sequences work. One of the key differences between the EMMI and SA-X is that the former are limited to specific areas and, as such, don't "surprise" you. Sure, the experience of trying to cross an EMMI area is scary and cool but it's different from the feeling SA-X gives since those are scripted events that happen out of nowhere. If SA-X was changed to be more of an AI that constantly hunts you I feel the experience would change a lot, the scripted moments of the original would basically lose all impact for example.

I was watching my profile yesterday and I saw I had played metroid dread for over 40 hours and I remembered how so many people where outraged by the fact that a 2d metroid was sold for 60$ when hollow knight exists
In the end I've put more hours on metroid dread than hollow knight while also having a better experience.

Yeah the purple one is a real motherfucker. It feels so good when you finally manage to blow its head off.

I was watching my profile yesterday and I saw I had played metroid dread for over 40 hours and I remembered how so many people where outraged by the fact that a 2d metroid was sold for 60$ when hollow knight exists
In the end I've put more hours on metroid dread than hollow knight while also having a better experience.
I've played both extensively, and yeah... Hollow Knight is a well made game, and a hell of a value, at $15, but I didn't vibe with it much. I had so much more fun with Dread. The gameplay is quicker, and the controls are snappier. Both games have really good boss fights, though. Makes me wish Dread had even more of them. Crocomire, Phantoon, Draygon.

I'm imagining the Nightmare fight in a hypothetical Fusion remake and now I'm terrified.
Yes! Good! You should be...

Nightmare is definitely the one I'd be most excited to see redone, followed by Serris, and Yakuza.

I wandered around a lot, in just some hours more I could go from 49% to 82% items(100% in many maps). Just defeated Reave Beak again, as my final day of renting farewell.

I love this game so much. One of the best games ever, definitely. Can't wait for the next one, and for Prime Remakester!!

13:35:13 completion time, 25:39:30 total time.

Prime 3 being more action oriented game doesn't guarantee that Prime 4 will follow the same philosophy. You can see how BotW/Super Mario Odyssey are the polar opposite of Skyward Sword/3D World design-wise .

I still can't pass " this scene could be ok". With Samus Returns making the Prime Trilogy part of the cannon: She fought him like 5 times prior to the events of Other M.

If anything, her reaction should be like :

68d21f25ec657f4599fc6db07c8a93e3.gif

Yea, Smash Ultimate reveal handled her supposed reaction far more than Other M. :p
Suspect lesson was learnt given her response to Kraid, stood perfectly still, calm and begins charging her arm cannon to get rid of this asshole again, you can almost feel her eyes rolling, though Ridley is arguably her big antagonist so i don't know that they would give him the "not this idiot again" treatment
metroid-metroid-dread.gif

SdwSB44.jpg

Suspect lesson was learnt given her response to Kraid, stood perfectly still, calm and begins charging her arm cannon to get rid of this asshole again, you can almost feel her eyes rolling, though Ridley is arguably her big antagonist so i don't know that they would give him the "not this idiot again" treatment
metroid-metroid-dread.gif
"Kraid is Kringe, time to blast him in his Krussy again"

- Samus, probably

(I'm actually not super fond of major Metroid antagonists being treated as a "Sigh, you again?" sort of thing, but I know others really liked this Kraid moment.)

Back
Top Bottom