• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid Dread |ST| The Chozon One

I prefer this scene in Samus Returns

it's weird how they got samus right in SR then continued to overcorrect and we got the silly stuff in dread. This moment was earned, after an entire game of this thing screwing with you there's a small "fuck you" that's cool. In dread you beat the first mini boss and samus does an olympic gymnastics routine.

Last edited:
it's weird how they got samus right in SR then continued to overcorrect and we got the silly stuff in dread. This moment was earned, after an entire game of this thing screwing with you there's a small "fuck you" that's cool. In dread you beat the first mini boss and samus does and olympic gymnastics routine.
Yeah, it borders on caricature, or Flanderization, a little. I'm not particularly fond of it. Other M went too far in one direction, and Dread went too far in the other. I'm hoping we can return to a more balanced depiction of Samus, in future games. She's not really a flashy Dante or Bayonetta type.

what is the silly stuff in dread ? I personally can’t remember an istance …well maybe the last suit?

what are the chances we get Seamus returns on the switch?
that game for me had the best final boss fight of the whole series!

what is the silly stuff in dread ? I personally can’t remember an istance …well maybe the last suit?

If by “best final boss” you mean “most rage-inducing”, then I agree 100%

The bosses in Samus Returns were absolutely brutal, but none moreso than Mecha Ridley. Fuck that guy.

the scene after beating the first mini boss, the general don't care attitude with kraid, the entire scream portion of the ending come to mind

If by “best final boss” you mean “most rage-inducing”, then I agree 100%

The bosses in Samus Returns were absolutely brutal, but none moreso than Mecha Ridley. Fuck that guy.
Haha I loved it, I was on my toes the whole time!
the fist time playing I died Almost immediately….and the slowly you go almost to the end of phase 1, then phase 2 etc….
and the little Metroid was such a hero!

This is such a common criticism, but I resent Mecha Ridley not just because he’s an asshole that took me an hour to beat, but because he absolutely ruins the ending of Metroid 2

Definitely wouldn't go as far as to call it "silly", but perhaps exaggerated in a way that I view as being somewhat uncharacteristic of Samus. I'm primarily referring to the "epic" slow walk, one handed Arm Cannon, Spin Jump through tail Corpius kill, and the generally apathetic, nonchalant attitude toward fighting Kraid. Samus is an exceedingly competent professional, but not historically cocky, or flashy, and she doesn't overestimate her abilities. She just gets the job done, without any "Dang, I'm good!" vibes.

the scene after beating the first mini boss, the general don't care attitude with kraid, the entire scream portion of the ending come to mind
I'll defend the screaming part at the end, not only it made sense since that's the part where her metroid DNA takes full control so she does a primal scream while she's at her limits and almost dying; also it's so satisfying after that marathon of a boss fight
As far as cockiness goes I like it, especially with kraid, if you think about it in past games the first thing you do when you see kraid is shoot his mouth while open, that's what samus does too in cutscene.

Definitely wouldn't go as far as to call it "silly", but perhaps exaggerated in a way that I view as being somewhat uncharacteristic of Samus. I'm primarily referring to the "epic" slow walk, one handed Arm Cannon, Spin Jump through tail Corpius kill, and the generally apathetic, nonchalant attitude toward fighting Kraid. Samus is an exceedingly competent professional, but not historically cocky, or flashy, and she doesn't overestimate her abilities. She just gets the job done, without any "Dang, I'm good!" vibes.
I think this far into a franchise (and as a big return after almost 2 decades), a bit of fun wink wink nudge nudge to the audience is OK, like with Kraid... you all know what to do, especially with him chained up in the basement etc... I do agree that they slightly Twin Snaked her in Dread to make it more "cinematic" even if it came across as OTT, but also gave her some nice, more genuine moments than I'd seen before (+ arguably the Metroid DNA is taking her over gradually throughout the game which might lead to her acting out of character compared to normal)

Prime 3 being more action oriented game doesn't guarantee that Prime 4 will follow the same philosophy. You can see how BotW/Super Mario Odyssey are the polar opposite of Skyward Sword/3D World design-wise .
at the same time, these games had a larger potential of being mega successes for their respective franchises. If we re going by that logic...

In anyway, metroid fans will hate anything so they should straight up ignore them : )

Also, i really REALLY disagree with those saying the scream at the end of dread was silly. Samus is always collected, we saw her off character in other m in the worst way possible, we got a biit of insight into her head with fusion, retro handled her decently, even if she wasnt pushed to do anything special. To see her lose her shit so much in Dread was an amazing moment and easy one of the peaks of dread. Excellent use of the few va parts of the game.

Last edited:
Yeah, it borders on caricature, or Flanderization, a little. I'm not particularly fond of it. Other M went too far in one direction, and Dread went too far in the other. I'm hoping we can return to a more balanced depiction of Samus, in future games. She's not really a flashy Dante or Bayonetta type.

She literally has a moves called Flash Shift and Shinespark though :p

I actually enjoyed seeing Samus act a bit cocky in Dread. Lore-wise it made sense in my head because
the Metroid inside her was awakening, and it wouldn't be surprising if shifts in her personality accompanied that.

Last edited:
She literally has a moves called Flash Shift and Shinespark though :p

I actually enjoyed seeing Samus act a bit cocky in Dread. Lore-wise it made sense in my head because
the Metroid inside her was awakening, and it wouldn't be surprising if shifts in her personality accompanied that.
You're right, but those are powerups / functions that serve a deliberate, specific purpose (the latter of which debuted in Super Metroid, all those years ago), so I wouldn't say they affect her characterization, flashy as they are!

I don't think there's an intended lore reasoning for the shift in her character, it's simply down to how MercurySteam has opted to depict her, twice in a row now (considering Samus Returns featured similar scenes). I know it's safer to showcase Samus in the cliché "badass" way, than to demonstrate restraint, especially considering how Other M handled her, but I have a ton of confidence that Retro's Prime 4 Samus depiction will be a return to form, in line with the first three Prime games. Excited for that!

Samus had killed Kraid twice prior to the events in Dread, her having a cocky attitude towards him is completely unsurprising lol

You're right, but those are powerups / functions that serve a deliberate, specific purpose (the latter of which debuted in Super Metroid, all those years ago), so I wouldn't say they affect her characterization, flashy as they are!

I don't think there's an intended lore reasoning for the shift in her character, it's simply down to how MercurySteam has opted to depict her, twice in a row now (considering Samus Returns featured similar scenes). I know it's safer to showcase Samus in the cliché "badass" way, than to demonstrate restraint, especially considering how Other M handled her, but I have a ton of confidence that Retro's Prime 4 Samus depiction will be a return to form, in line with the first three Prime games. Excited for that!
More reserved yes, but she will be def more humanized. The stuff they did in the 2000s would never fly nowadays she would be instantly called bland and emotionless.

My hopes is that they know how to do it with finesse :)

More reserved yes, but she will be def more humanized. The stuff they did in the 2000s would never fly nowadays she would be instantly called bland and emotionless.

My hopes is that they know how to do it with finesse :)
I think the people that would call her depictions in Super, Fusion, Prime 1-3, etc. "bland", or "emotionless" aren't much worth listening to, tbh. 😅 I mean, yeah, it's not like those games approached Samus looking to perform a deep character study, or anything of the sort, but there were certainly enough bits and pieces there that allowed players to develop an idea of who she truly was. I suppose everyone is going to fill in the blanks with their own, subjective interpretations, but when I think of Samus, I don't think much of flashy boss kills, and the like. I think of the etching she made to commemorate her bird dads, her saving the baby, saving the Etecoons and Dachoras, etc. Those things go such a long way in showcasing her underlying warmth and humanity, in my eyes. I know Dread had her speaking to Quiet Robe, assuring him that she'd put an end to Raven Beak's plans, and that was a similarly standout moment, as I'm sure we'd all agree.

It's not wrong to appreciate the "badass" moments, to be clear. I just think the folks who need those moments to even like Samus, as a character, aren't giving the older games their due credit! There's power in subtlety.

Hey! I was the guy who was stuck on the purple EMMI earlier in the thread. Just popping in to say...I couldn't get past it! I tried for several hours to get through and just couldn't. It felt like a shame! I had finally come around on the game and then hit this impenetrable moment. Thanks to everyone for their advice, maybe I'll get through it some day.

Playing Dread completely revitalized my Metroid Craving though, so I take it as a net positive. I played through Super Metroid on NSO, and yep -- that game is still pretty amazing. By the time I had finished it, I realized that I kind of can't wait to play Metroid Prime on the Switch (if that ever ends up being a thing that exists).

Hey! I was the guy who was stuck on the purple EMMI earlier in the thread. Just popping in to say...I couldn't get past it! I tried for several hours to get through and just couldn't. It felt like a shame! I had finally come around on the game and then hit this impenetrable moment. Thanks to everyone for their advice, maybe I'll get through it some day.

Playing Dread completely revitalized my Metroid Craving though, so I take it as a net positive. I played through Super Metroid on NSO, and yep -- that game is still pretty amazing. By the time I had finished it, I realized that I kind of can't wait to play Metroid Prime on the Switch (if that ever ends up being a thing that exists).
The purple one is the underwater one, right? The grapple beam is very helpful for the purple emmi

where can we order these?
You're a hero, friend.

I keep getting anxiety any time Good Smile posts any info on them because I think I'm missing the pre-order rush.

And yes I 100% am buying these. (I have 2 of the First4Figures statues so like, money is no object when it comes to my beloved Metroid)
You may have already heard, but pre-orders will be going up on Tuesday!

You may have already heard, but pre-orders will be going up on Tuesday!

It's up! Already placed my order.

For customers in the United States, and Canada:

For those elsewhere:

It's officially the one year anniversary of Metroid Dread, and our mission to ZDR.

metroid-metroid-dread.gif

Still so glad it finally happened, after all those years of waiting. Long live Metroid, my favorite series ever!

Yes, the fisrt anniversary of the game. I remember I just took the day from the office to play this all the day, and it was worth it, specially the part where

Quiet Robe explains Samus what's happening, and the then music changes an Samus tells him that she is now getting in serious mode

What a day it was! I played some that night and spent all of the next day binging it. Probably the most hyped I've been for a release in recent memory and my personal 2021 GOTY.

Just wanna hop in and say that the final stretch of Dread was one of the most blood-pumping and memorable gaming experiences I had last year.

Just incredible experiencing it in the moment.

i supposedly heard, Retro Studios hired a company know as Next Gen Dreams, to work on Metroid Prime 4 reveal trailer, and the game has been in debuguning since march of last year(take all this with a huge, but huge grain of salt), here this very oblious fake news/claims)

Last edited:
Saw this thread pop up and have decided to announce that I would like to hear Samus speak more Chozo in future.

Thank you that is all.

i supposedly heard, Retro Studios hired a company know as Next Gen Dreams, to work on Metroid Prime 4 reveal trailer, and the game has been in debuguning since march of last year(take all this with a huge, but huge grain of salt), here this very oblious fake news/claims)

At least there's no YTber on the thumbnail with a constipated face, no red arrows / circles, not a single "!", so I'd give at least 9 bonus points for this.

So I Google'd :
"Next Gen Dreams" Metroid

And the first result made me jump on my chair. And laugh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom