• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Metroid Dread Metascore Prediction (Embargo lifts October 6)

What will Metroid Dread's critical reception be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voting for 90+ because I really want it to be. 85+ is more realistic though.

reviews should be coming Wednesday btw. Kinda different because this is two days before instead of just one like Nintendo normally does, no?

I feel like it's been Wednesdays pretty often as well, but I could be misremembering

I want to be more realistic about it's score, but a few here and other places mentioned that Metroid games only get better the further in you play. That makes me hopeful for a 90+ score.

reviews should be coming Wednesday btw. Kinda different because this is two days before instead of just one like Nintendo normally does, no?

Nintendo does both one day and two days before. There's no real discernible reason why they choose either

Seeing how ugly it is according to a lot of folks. It’ll get a score close to another ugly game, Fire Emblem Three Houses.

And we know games with terrible graphics cant get good scores. It’s lucky it looks better then Three Houses so it’ll get 1 or 2 points more then Three houses.

What did that ugly Three Houses get anyways? Meta score of 74? I would do research but I already formed an opinion.

🤪

I'm hoping it'll be the game that breaks 2021's drought of 90+ titles and makes some noise in the GOTY conversation, and that's only partially because I've got it on my fantasy critic team.

I'll be bold and say 92.

87 is more realistic though, it's a Switch game and therefore ugly and ugly games cannot be 90s

Imagine the internet fallout if MercurySteam makes a 90+ metascore game from the people who are still bitter over Castlevania.

Probably 85-89. 2D games rarely crack 90+, and it's not a schmaltzy indie game that journalists would gush over.

85-90. It should be a bit above 90's, but i think too that IGN's score will be lower.

88. I predict Kat Bailey from IGN will give the game a not so good score which will sink its final score.

Reviews two days before launch is pretty typical for Nintendo 1st party stuff. WarioWare Get it Together was the same, as was Skyward Sword HD.

I wish it'd be 90+, but I have trouble seeing it for a 2D game, given some journalists' take on classic metroid (as in not metroidvania unlike Ori and HK) in this age.
It's definitely going above 85 though, which Samus Returns got.

Movement looks unreal based on some of the leaked clips. I'm sticking with an 89 but wouldn't be shocked if it broke 90+

85-89.
Feeling a 87 or 88. Like others have mentionned already, so many great games this year yet so few have made it over 90, weirdly enough.

I'm hoping there's a lot of surprises left in the game and it'll impress everyone enough to push it into the 90s. From what I've seen so far it looks like it'll be a great game, but hopefully the trailers haven't revealed everything and it'll be an amazing one. I'd like some zero suit missions or maybe even leave the suit at will and completely change the gameplay style.

I think it can do a 90, reading the first impressions how this is a true successor i expect great things.
Honestly i don't think it will get past 90 but i'm happy to be proven wrong.

I haven't been this excited for a Nintendo game since...Smash, I think?

I was really hyped for Paper Mario as well, but Smash definitely had more reassurance that it would be great. My hype for Dread is reaching near-lethal levels now lol

I haven't been this excited for a Nintendo game since...Smash, I think?

I was really hyped for Paper Mario as well, but Smash definitely had more reassurance that it would be great. My hype for Dread is reaching near-lethal levels now lol
Yup, Dread is my most hyped game in general since Smash

I think this is my most hyped game of the last two decades. It's crazy. Sure took them long enough to crank out that sequel to Fusion!

The way Nintendo is pushing this game makes me think it might be good enough for a 92-93

77. Gets set back by critics for visuals, price, and story (which will end up being closer to Other M than Samus Returns)

A common review quote will be "At the end of the day, it's great to see Samus back in action"

I'm extremely bad at MC predictions so it's either gonna be higher than 89 or lower than 85, sorry.

I think sidescroller bias might be the biggest hurdle for it to overcome, tbh. Kinda like the way animation gets automatically lowered acclaim by large portions of the movie going public, the genre Metroid is in might keep it from getting a fair shake in terms of reviews. Hopefully not, but hope for the best while expecting the worst is my motto

I think sidescroller bias might be the biggest hurdle for it to overcome, tbh. Kinda like the way animation gets automatically lowered acclaim by large portions of the movie going public, the genre Metroid is in might keep it from getting a fair shake in terms of reviews. Hopefully not, but hope for the best while expecting the worst is my motto
There's currently a 2D Metroidvania from a major publisher sitting at 93% on MC right now (Ori and the Will of the Wisps). The other two biggest name 2D Metroidvanias in recent memory, Hollow Knight and the first Ori, have a 90% for their Switch versions

I don't think there's actually a bias against 2D Metroidvanias, let's not associate random Internet people complaints with how reviewers review games. Dread may not necessarily review as these games (well, it's definitely going to be better than the first Ori at least, but may not do as well in reviews) but it's not going to be because it's a 2D game

Quoted by: Yzz
There's currently a 2D Metroidvania from a major publisher sitting at 93% on MC right now (Ori and the Will of the Wisps). The other two biggest name 2D Metroidvanias in recent memory, Hollow Knight and the first Ori, have a 90% for their Switch versions

I don't think there's actually a bias against 2D Metroidvanias, let's not associate random Internet people complaints with how reviewers review games. Dread may not necessarily review as these games (well, it's definitely going to be better than the first Ori at least, but may not do as well in reviews) but it's not going to be because it's a 2D game
I feel that 2D bias doesn't really apply to a $30 indie title. The problem with Dread is that Gamers™ think that pricing and advertising a sidescroller like a AAA game is a violation of some higher law, because those inferior, unwashed 2D games shouldn't stand with the greats, and instead be contained in the indie and retro sphere.
Here's hoping that I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I feel like as long as the score is in the usual ballpark, I'll be happy. Fusion has a 92 and ZM has an 89, but I enjoyed the latter more. It's all subjective, so as long as we're not looking at low 80s or high 70s or anything, we should be eating well

I feel that 2D bias doesn't really apply to a 30$ indie title. The problem with Dread is that Gamers™ think that pricing and advertising a sidescroller like a AAA game is a violation of some higher law, because those inferior, unwashed 2D games shouldn't stand with the greats, and instead be contained in the indie and retro sphere.
Here's hoping that I'm wrong.
Yeah, but Gamers aren't the ones doing the reviews, reviewers are. And while video game reviews do tend to have problems, they probably aren't going to have that particular problem

Quoted by: Yzz
Yeah, but Gamers aren't the ones doing the reviews, reviewers are. And while video game reviews do tend to have problems, they probably aren't going to have that particular problem
It was pretty rude to imply that reviewers are capital g gamers, sorry for that. More than a specific set of individuals, the problem is that if you were into gaming culture in the late 90s / early 00s your perception of 2D games was largely molded by a bunch of publications and marketing departments that tried to paint 2D games as inferior or outdated (and I think it's safe to say that a lot of Dread's reviewers worked for the gaming media during this era). People refer it as 2D bias because it's subconscious, and I even admit that I thought of Tropical Freeze as a lesser game just for being 2D.

Ori and HK, from my observations, were mostly reviewed by people who were already into the metroidvania / indie scene (HK was obscure before the console ports), and people who don't like indie games were gonna skip the games no matter how good they were. On the other hand, Dread is arguably the biggest nintendo release of this year and people who don't care and don't want to like 2D games are gonna comment on it.

Game is looking really tight and production quality seems to be high for Nintendo standard, so 90+ is my prediction.

My hopeful heart says 90+, but I think it's going to be tight. 88 to 92 feels like the range for me.

Can't wait for the reviews tomorrow. Will try to just scan through the grades and get some high level impressions.

If Animal Crossing can get 90s and fans have tons of complaints with that, a Metroid game that that the majority of fans think looks amazing should too, I’m praying 🙏🏻

88 metacritic score only because it's been so hard for games this year to reach 90. Plus I have a feeling IGN's score is gonna be low due to how the preview sounded.
IGN preview sounded like a 8.5 - 9 to me, only thing they didn’t like were the stalking robots and they weren’t even too negative on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom