• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Metroid Dread Metascore Prediction (Embargo lifts October 6)

What will Metroid Dread's critical reception be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
share-fb.jpg

So... Metroid Dread is almost here! We're seven days away from the release of Metroid 5, 20 years in the coming, concluding a 35 year long story.

There has never been a poorly received 2D Metroid game, and Metroid Dread appears to be taking the best from every previous one yet. Certainly, Nintendo's strong marketing push for it indicates confidence in the game's prospects.

So, with one week to go, time to draw the line in the sand: how will Dread fare critically?

i am going with an 89. think its going to be massively heralded by reviewers from what i've seen.

Yoooooo welcome Phantom Thief!

Anyway I am going to go with 87~92. I hope it at least hits 90.
Hello there!
88 metacritic score only because it's been so hard for games this year to reach 90. Plus I have a feeling IGN's score is gonna be low due to how the preview sounded.
I think if there's a game this year that can breach 90, this is it. In spite of how IGN scores it.
I also think IGN will end up being mostly positive on it either way, because Kat's impressions were based on 90 minutes of gameplay.

88 metacritic score only because it's been so hard for games this year to reach 90. Plus I have a feeling IGN's score is gonna be low due to how the preview sounded.

Yea that is what keeps me from thinking it will get 90+. Seems like everything is getting tougher scores these days.

89-91

The hype is real and it seems like it’s nothing but good vibes for Metroid lately

I think it’ll be close to 90, but not enough because I don’t expect a 9 from IGN and GameSpot.

Maybe it can get to 90 on Opencritic?

Welcome PT!! Feels like we're getting the ol' January 2018 gang back together.

Anyway, my head says 89 but my heart says 96. I'm listening to my head on this one.

Welcome PT!! Feels like we're getting the ol' January 2018 gang back together.

Anyway, my head says 89 but my heart says 96. I'm listening to my head on this one.
Everyone is here!

I hope so!
Do you think we can expect at least an 8 from Edge?
Ahhh, EDGE is a wild card. Samus Returns got dinged hard by them, and Dread is ultimately built off of that.
Fingers crossed!

I'm thinking 87+/-2 since I feel it's gonna be overall positive but there will be a lot of "Next to games like Hollow Knight and Ori, Dread is a step back in terms of what is possible in a metroidvania".

I don't expect Dread to break the mold for the series. I expect a fantastic entry that stands up next to the rest of the series, but doesn't break past Super.

I hope I'm wrong tho!

I hope so!
Do you think we can expect at least an 8 from Edge?
I think 8 to 7 is what Edge is gonna go with. They are tricky in that they are really harsh when it comes to scores especially on games that aren't trying something new and creative.

High 80s sounds like a good bet for me.
I do think the EMMI integration is either gonna be a love it or hate it mechanic.
Yeah, this is where I'm on the fence about Dread. Going to wait to see how this works out.

I do think the EMMI integration is either gonna be a love it or hate it mechanic.
I dunno, I like the fact that EMMIs are only present in certain well-marked areas. I hate stealth segments in most games but when you know where exactly the stealth segment ends it's a lot less stressful and a lot easier to plan out. I think most reviewers will like the EMMI segments.

I think a huge underrated thing that’ll bump dread up is Samus looks to play phenomenally. It looks like it has a way better game feel than previous Metroid games, other Metroidvanias and improve upon everything SR introduced.

I’m replaying SR right now and even with the 3DS circle pad and the melee counter problems that dread fixes, it’s SO fun.

I dunno, I like the fact that EMMIs are only present in certain well-marked areas. I hate stealth segments in most games but when you know where exactly the stealth segment ends it's a lot less stressful and a lot easier to plan out. I think most reviewers will like the EMMI segments.
Yea I hope so

I would love it to hit 90, but I don't realistically see that happening. These days, almost all reviews use a 10-point system, so to get 90 or above a game needs to get as many 10/10s as 8/10s. I think Dread will get a lot of 9s, a few 10s, but more 8s, and end up around 88.

I'm gonna say my gut feel is 91-93 is likely.
It looks like it will end up appealing to almost every possible subset of Metroid/Metroidvania fans.

And again, Nintendo really doesn't push a game this hard unless they are confident that it's a winner.

Also, another reason why I don't want to go with 90 is that a lot of positive previews for games this year have only gotten close to 90 but haven't reached it.

I’m the outlier. I said low 80s. I just feel like people are going to be very very hard on it if it doesn’t push the Metroidvania genre.

Game looks extremely polished and ambition, I think low 90s.

I voted 90-94. I'm inclined to be optimistic. I've legitimately been waiting most of my life for this game.

im gonna be optimistic and say mid/low 90's because i want to believe

I'm feeling 87. It'll be a great game but not a 90+ instant classic.

I want to be wrong though.

I'm going for 89. I truly wouldn't be surprised if IGN's uniquely pessimistic take on the game is the sole obstacle between 89 and 90.

I reckon either 8 or 9 from Edge based on the generally very positive previews from other outlets

high 80's. expecting around 87-89. wouldn't be surprised if it hit the magic 9-0

If it feels like it has the scope of Super, instead of the handheld games, 90+. We've been in need of a beefy 2D metroid game for a long time. I'd argue nothing has been close to Super, in terms of successfully combining everything Metroid does well in one package. I hope Dread can bring that back. Especially cause it seems to be bringing its own sense of style.

I’m really hoping for it to land above 90. It looks really great, with little touches and attention to detail everywhere. Here’s hoping for it to be an all time great!

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but if Samus Returns could manage an 85, I think anything under that is impossible for Dread. 87-89, with maybe a 25% of 90+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom