• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Metroid Dread has sold 87k copies in it's first week in Japan

See a Japanese youtuber stream the game and it had over 100K views. Probably more to do with the youtuber's popularity, but regardless people were viewing Metroid!!!

This is my favorite game in a while. It's like Hades, Metroid and Doom all in one. I couldn't have asked for more from a single game. Way more than worth the full price.

Awesome numbers for the series and more than deserved for a incredible game.

2d2.png

Lesbian icon Samus Aran

Holy crap

For comparison's sake, from Game Data Library

445f907f0d48e49c47d1ceceac97c23c.png

Like this isn't just "solid", this is fucking amazing for Metroid in Japan lmao

Though unfortunately there's no sales data available for Metroid 2 or Super Metroid whatsoever, and there's also no FW data for the OG Metroid (which actually sold a million back then, somehow), so we can't really compare 'em to Dread. But besides those three, this game has already blown every other Metroid game out of the water.
Basically doing Prime’s LTD first week. Damn. Great numbers

It should be noted that Dread will skew heavily digital in Japan because its retail price is high, fairly close to the price for two vouchers even.

So buying it with a voucher saves probably somewhere from 30-40%, I don't have the actual prices in front of me (and can't math before coffee anyway).

75% of vouchers price. It’s arguably 1 free 1

Whoah first I'd heard of how different Japan's retail pricing on physical games is btwn Nintendo's own first-party titles.
Dread is priced higher than Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons? I mean I know retail pricing is higher across the board compared to U.S. pricing but I figured all first-party standard-edition releases would at least launch at the same price?

Whoah first I'd heard of how different Japan's retail pricing on physical games is btwn Nintendo's own first-party titles.
Dread is priced higher than Marios, Zeldas and Pokemons? I mean I know retail pricing is higher across the board compared to U.S. pricing but I figured all first-party standard-edition releases would at least launch at the same price?
Japan is far more fluid on game pricing then the west were it standardized for years around $60.

Wow, that's pretty dang good. I'm very excited to see the legs this might have. It is a Nintendo game, after all, even if it's not one of their bigger franchises, and those usually are quite leggy.

Is there anything surprising though? It’s the Switch. People kept downplaying for years on Era how Metroid can’t do what Nintendo’s other series had been doing on Switch. That argument had little validity.

Great opening sales for a Metroid game, but legs will likely not be strong.

Thankfully it sold a good amount upfront.

Chris on installbase has indicated that we can expect about 40% of the game's sales to be digital, so the actual first-week sales may be about ~120k or so?

We'll find out in a few months

Chris on installbase has indicated that we can expect about 40% of the game's sales to be digital, so the actual first-week sales may be about ~120k or so?

We'll find out in a few months

40% digital would mean ~145k (it is 87k / 60%, not 87k x 1,4). In general, the formula to arrive at total sales is "retail sales" divided by "1 minus digital ratio".

I'm hoping for stronger than expected legs, anything better than -85% would be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
What % of sales come from Japan for games like BotW?

Maybe we can extrapolate first week WW sales from that. Though I expect Dread to have a much higher US:Japan ratio than BotW

Maybe we can extrapolate first week WW sales from that. Though I expect Dread to have a much higher US:Japan ratio than BotW
BotW is kind of an outlier though considering it is still selling 4 & 1/2 years after release (and only just got a rerelease with the DLC). Most titles die down after a few months especially in Japan with its relatively strong used market. GDL says it has sold 1.7 million at retail in Japan so somewhere between 2 and 3 million probably including digital which is 10% of sales

See a Japanese youtuber stream the game and it had over 100K views. Probably more to do with the youtuber's popularity, but regardless people were viewing Metroid!!!

This is my favorite game in a while. It's like Hades, Metroid and Doom all in one. I couldn't have asked for more from a single game. Way more than worth the full price.
Are you talking about Korone? I need to catch up on her Dread streams.

This is a great result for Metroid, but just like with the U.K. results, a "great result for Metroid" is not enough to make the 4-5 million dream happen.

Here's hoping it overperforms in NA even more than usual.

3 millions would still be a great success for the series.

I feel that, just like with Fire Emblem, people expect too much from a niche franchise.

Yesss That's a good start
I've been enjoying the game, it's my first Metroid and I like the atmosphere but it might be too difficult for me. My boyfriend has been obsessed with the game for the past week.

BotW is kind of an outlier though considering it is still selling 4 & 1/2 years after release (and only just got a rerelease with the DLC). Most titles die down after a few months especially in Japan with its relatively strong used market. GDL says it has sold 1.7 million at retail in Japan so somewhere between 2 and 3 million probably including digital which is 10% of sales
So even if it did have 10% of its sales in Japan - and it sure as hell won't, as it's nearly as strong in Japan as it is on the west and moreso USA - it would make for more than 1 million just for the first three days(as estimate of Japan with digital would be around 140k).

Do you know their first week sales?
No.
Also take with a grain of salt the sell-through estimates for old games since they aren't the most accurate (for old games sell-in is the more reliable measurement though, of course, a game could end up being overshipped).

Most Nintendo games do sell at roughly the same price. But games that might be considered for older players, or more prestigious are generally priced higher. Like Three Houses and Dread have pretty much the same price, but Xenoblade 2 is even more expensive than them.

Love to see it!

Sort of off-topic: Does anyone know where Chris1964 is posting Sales Data these days? I heard some rumblings about another forum, not sure if it's here and I missed it or somewhere else. If someone could reply here or shoot me a DM, would be appreciated.

Love to see it!

Sort of off-topic: Does anyone know where Chris1964 is posting Sales Data these days? I heard some rumblings about another forum, not sure if it's here and I missed it or somewhere else. If someone could reply here or shoot me a DM, would be appreciated.
Installbaseforum.com

Most Nintendo games do sell at roughly the same price. But games that might be considered for older players, or more prestigious are generally priced higher. Like Three Houses and Dread have pretty much the same price, but Xenoblade 2 is even more expensive than them.

Thanks, TIL!
That kind of sucks for customers there, but is also kinda cool. "Prestige sophisticated title w/ a prestigious pricepoint". 😛

And it really underscores for me how uncommon it is to still be paying ~$60 per new game even after like 25 yrs.

"Since 2000" is basically "since tracking began" in this case, yes? I'm not aware of any Metroid releases between 1994 and 2002.

That's a great debut! I think most of sales era is expecting it to be around 75k, so above that is really great news!

How do I sign up for for Install Base? I'd like to lurk and be able to see the numbers.
Not sure if you have alr known, I think Install Base is open for registration now. I have just registered, waiting for approval now.

Love to see it!

The whole community is now on Install Base forum.

Anyone wanting to register there, check this post.

Back
Top Bottom