• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Metroid Dread has sold 87k copies in it's first week in Japan

Ozzie

Chain Chomp

Metroid Dread sold 87k physical copies, exceeding Metroid Samus Returns (3DS) in Sept 2017 which sold 29k. Best start for Metroid series since 2000. Digital sales not included.

A great start I would say.

Good Start.

Tho some will probably take it as a failure, not realizing that Metroid isn’t really a big deal in Japan.

That's amazing. With digital, it most certainly did 100k +. Great started in Japan.

What are the first week sales for the other Metroid games? Is this the best first week since the original Metroid?

I’m glad Metroid finally did well in Japan. I think the huge gap between releases and the attention Nintendo has put on it made this one a big deal up front. Live streams and social media should push it farther for a while at least.

I keep wondering how it’s doing everywhere since I really want them to make Metroid a priority. My Twitter friends are very high on it, my Switch friend list with more casual gamers is a bit low. Anecdotally, it didn’t seem to crack the more casual crowd :/

Holy crap

For comparison's sake, from Game Data Library

445f907f0d48e49c47d1ceceac97c23c.png

Like this isn't just "solid", this is fucking amazing for Metroid in Japan lmao

Though unfortunately there's no sales data available for Metroid 2 or Super Metroid whatsoever, and there's also no FW data for the OG Metroid (which actually sold a million back then, somehow), so we can't really compare 'em to Dread. But besides those three, this game has already blown every other Metroid game out of the water.

Last edited:
What are the first week sales for the other Metroid games? Is this the best first week since the original Metroid?
From Install Base

Metroid Dread has already outsold (LTD):

• Metroid: Zero Mission - 85.045
  • Metroid Prime -78.384
  • Metroid: Other M - 75.578
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 74.647
  • Famicom Mini 23: Metroid - 50.353
  • Metroid: Samus Returns - 42.437
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 40.355
  • New Play Control! Metroid Prime - 20.607
  • Metroid Prime: Pinball - 15.541
  • New Play Control! Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 12.427
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 6.090

It also beat the First week of:
  • Metroid Fusion - 49.680
  • Metroid Prime: Hunters - 32.613

Of course this is without digital so Hunters (90k LTD) has also already been passed. Fusion is the next step at 155k LTD.

Post in thread 'Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2021 (Sep 27 - Oct 03)'
https://installbaseforum.com/forums...sales-week-39-2021-sep-27-oct-03.35/post-2003

It should be noted that Dread will skew heavily digital in Japan because its retail price is high, fairly close to the price for two vouchers even.

So buying it with a voucher saves probably somewhere from 30-40%, I don't have the actual prices in front of me (and can't math before coffee anyway).

Yeah, sales are quite great for a Metroid title in Japan. I guess worldwide performance is even stronger. Digital should be quite high(For Japan standards) too.
How do I sign up for for Install Base? I'd like to lurk and be able to see the numbers.
Registration isn't open yet as they're fixing some back-end stuff and finishing the forum development. But it should be open for public registration soon.

It should be noted that Dread will skew heavily digital in Japan because its retail price is high, fairly close to the price for two vouchers even.

So buying it with a voucher saves probably somewhere from 30-40%, I don't have the actual prices in front of me (and can't math before coffee anyway).
75% of vouchers price. It’s arguably 1 free 1

That's amazing. Surely did more than 100k with digital. 300k with digital til Dec 31 sounds possible to me and that's really amazing.

If I recall correctly, that's pretty much the same amount Mario Golf on Switch sold first week. Just to give you some context that it's sold as well as a casual release. Very impressive indeed!

Happy to hear. Now we need Metroid Prime (remake and 4) to overperform too!

75% of vouchers price. It’s arguably 1 free 1
Yeah that's crazy.

I remember some other high priced games that had vouchers had some crazy high digital splits, like 50-60%+. Astral Chain I think was one of them.

Great news! Hopefully we won't have to wait so long for more 2D Metroid, even if it'll still be after Prime 4.

Holy crap

For comparison's sake, from Game Data Library

445f907f0d48e49c47d1ceceac97c23c.png

Like this isn't just "solid", this is fucking amazing for Metroid in Japan lmao

Though unfortunately there's no sales data available for Metroid 2 or Super Metroid whatsoever, and there's also no FW data for the OG Metroid (which actually sold a million back then, somehow), so we can't really compare 'em to Dread. But besides those three, this game has already blown every other Metroid game out of the water.
Amazing when you consider this

Dang im happy for Samus, hopefully this means Nintendo will support Metroid Prime 4 fully and greenlits a metroid 6.

This and Mario Party are the big holiday titles for the Switch worldwide right? Hoping it pays off and Dread sells very well. Great game so far.

Anecdotal, but so many of my Switch friends are playing it. 63 people started it this weekend. More of my friends own Dread than BotW or Mario Kart. I think sales are going to be surprisingly high, albeit perhaps more frontloaded than many Switch evergreens.

That's a great start, particularly for a series that normally doesn't do that well in Japan. The next test will be the game's legs

Back
Back
Top Bottom