• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Metroid Dread has leaked. Be careful for spoilers (heavy marked spoilers inside)

Era largely decided they hated emmi the day the game was announced so that doesn't surprise me at all
Yeah it was also fairly obvious from the previews where a lot of people pointed at the IGN preview and said "see, I told you the EMMI suck!", when that was the only preview that said anything negative about the EMMI

Some people decided to hate that mechanic as soon as they saw it and won't be convinced otherwise

So what exactly was the big deal about door transition?

I looked at some gameplay and it looks fine. Can’t tell what the issue is.
It's not something most people will even notice but Samus continues moving while the screen transition between doors is going on, so you'll technically have a bit (about 10 frames) where she's moving but you can't see it

Also you won't always emerge on the same y-axis as where you entered, which can be disconcerting for some

Pretty sure the full OST is out there available to download for anyone who is interested. I can understand why some people might think it is "weak" or "forgettable" because it is definitely less melodic and more ambient overall. I think a lot of it sounds rad, though, if you are into that sort of thing. Very crunchy and squelchy. Lots of beep boops.
Where can we find it?

I'll say this EMMI will be subjective and depends on people's taste. Either opinion on it won't be wrong because it really depends on whether you hate stealth and being chased.

It's why I won't be mad at people who don't like it, but it also means that you shouldn't paint the complaint as something that will be the same as everyone else.

As far as we know, the EMMI can't roam freely through the map, they can only act in certain areas in each of the game's regions, so it probably won't be as constant as it seems. So even if someone doesn't like stealth, it doesn't seem to be a reason to reject the game altogether, even if it's a "like-it-or-hate-it" feature.

A lot of the impressions I am reading actually have a lot of praise for the Emmis, they are saying they insert a lot of tension and have genuinely smart AI. It seems like a case of Emmis doing what they are designed to do and not jiving with some people, but I've seen a lot of praise for them.

Also I've seen praise for movement and especially combat, everyone seems to love all of the new options. Also I'm glad to report people are starting to discover sequence breaks that aren't immediately obvious.

Also hearing its easy to get lost, but the map is well designed to subtly guide you

Also people are saying the game is difficult but generous with checkpoints so it doesn't feel overly punishing

Also here is a list of the major bosses(not counting mini bosses and Emmis) for anyone who is interested
Corpius (invisible scorpion)
Drogyga (underwater plant boss)
Kraid
Escue (X wasp)
Golzuna (X beetle)
Experiment Z-57 (X monstrosity in the generator room)
Raven Beak

Also here is a list of the major bosses(not counting mini bosses and Emmis) for anyone who is interested
Corpius (invisible scorpion)
Drogyga (underwater plant boss)
Kraid
Escue (X wasp)
Golzuna (X beetle)
Experiment Z-57 (X monstrosity in the generator room)
Raven Beak
Is that the official name of Big Bird?

Also Metroid never really names it’s bosses in the game, no? Like I had to Google fusion’s. I wonder how you find out in Dread

Has it been confirmed if Samus ever speaks in English?

Cool! Now I have the entire soundtrack on my phone but have no intention of listening to it. I don't know why I do this to myself...

Last edited:
Looking at some spoiler-free impressions of Dread, and, from what I can tell,

it seems to be structured like Super. Some complaints from people early on seem to suggest the game is pretty linear, but so are all Metroid titles at the start. It seems like it opens up later in the typical fashion. Won't know for sure till it's in our hands, ofc, but sounds good so far.

Okay, I said fuck it and am going all in with spoilers.

Luckily this is my first Metroid game so some of the context of their significance is lost on me

I AM BECOME HYPE
Damn, you have so much to experience. So many Metroid games are waiting for you. You have to play all of them (except for Other M).

I personally recommend two "vanilla+" romhacks: Super Metroid Redux for Super Metroid and Chozo Hint Statue Removal for Zero Mission. Redux in particular is fantastic as it modernizes the control scheme as well as the map. Bookmark both of these for your eventual playthrough of the games.

Damn, you have so much to experience. So many Metroid games are waiting for you. You have to play all of them (except for Other M).

I personally recommend two "vanilla+" romhacks: Super Metroid Redux for Super Metroid and Chozo Hint Statue Removal for Zero Mission. Redux in particular is fantastic as it modernizes the control scheme as well as the map. Bookmark both of these for your eventual playthrough of the games.
Thanks for the recommendations! I think when it comes to playing the original games, I'll either buy them for their original platform or play them on NSO. I'm a weirdo for "authenticity"... even though those hacks very likely have some sorely needed QoL fixes.

Oooh, I'm about 1 hour into SM on NSO. Should I restart with Redux?

Thanks for the recommendations! I think when it comes to playing the original games, I'll either buy them for their original platform or play them on NSO. I'm a weirdo for "authenticity"... even though those hacks very likely have some sorely needed QoL fixes.
Yeah I get it. I would suggest them for a replay at some point down the line.

Oooh, I'm about 1 hour into SM on NSO. Should I restart with Redux?
Yes. Get Retroarch, use the BSNES Mercury Balanced Core, install the CRT-Royale shader, and play the patched ROM with Redux. Playing Super Metroid does not get any better than this.

It was my first time using Retroarch this week, and I was a little confused with its interface re: shaders, so here's the guide that I followed. It's actually quite simple, but when you don't know, you don't know.

Yeah I get it. I would suggest them for a replay at some point down the line.

Yes. Get Retroarch, use the BSNES Mercury Balanced Core, install the CRT-Royale shader, and play the patched ROM with Redux. Playing Super Metroid does not get any better than this.

It was my first time using Retroarch this week, and I was a little confused with its interface re: shaders, so here's the guide that I followed. It's actually quite simple, but when you don't know, you don't know.

Little do you realize but this tip just cost me $300 as I'm probably going to keep my launch switch to experiment around with it even tho I planned to sell it my incoming OLED model, lol.

Tho it also looks like there's a pretty easy path to running it on iOS and I've got a good setup there for xCloud.

Anyhow, many thanks!

Little do you realize but this tip just cost me $300 as I'm probably going to keep my launch switch to experiment around with it even tho I planned to sell it my incoming OLED model, lol.

Tho it also looks like there's a pretty easy path to running it on iOS and I've got a good setup there for xCloud.

Anyhow, many thanks!
You're welcome.

I run retroarch on my computer, which has an hdmi out port. So I can just hook it up to my TV, plug in my Switch Pro or DualSense controller to it, and play SNES games on my TV with hacks, shaders and every bell and whistle that I want lol. It's nice.

I'm so glad I discovered this last week. Now I want to replay so many classic games. I'm playing Zero Mission at the moment, with the aforementioned hack, and I have Fusion lined up next, probably with this cool-looking hack I found. I'm just waiting for version 5.0 to be released sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom