• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Metal \m/

Just read a short review (i know i know) for Hushed And Grim from one of my to go outlets and boy ... this is going to be a trip.

Is it too much to hope for a whole album full of songs like Jaguar God?

Skye is still one my my favourite albums and - while I like their newer stuff - I'd love for them to hit those heights again.

New Archspire premiering now:

Holy smokes. Yup, they still got it.

Seems like Porcupine Tree has got some major news coming Monday! New album? New song? Reunion?

EDIT: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeess!!!!

Last edited:
So... last time I listened to Andrew W.K. was his energetic and iconic party anthem album I Get Wet. Turns out nowadays he's doing insanely cheesy, pompous, yet ridiculously effective power ballads about humanity, God, more partying, sexual innuendos and with insane guitar solos and production levels? What the hell?

It shouldn't work, but it does. Check out his latest album God is Partying.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the Protest the Hero posts on the first page. Arguably one of my favourite bands, and they’re from Canada to boot. I’ve met them before as well and have an autographed copy of Scurrilous. They’re cool dudes.

I’ll add Cancer Bats to this thread, but lately I’ve been exploring older Metal and some other stuff bands like Havok and teetering on Death Metal (I find some of the vocals a bit hard to listen to, to be honest) but I like Gatecreeper.

Love Cancer Bats, havnt been actively listening to them for the past few years but man do they put on a great live show and Hail Destroyer is one of my all time favorite albums from a canadian band.

Great stuff

I wanted to update this thread since I've been listening to one of my favorite metal bands a lot lately - The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Any fans here? They're a great band from San Francisco. I guess I'd describe them as traditional heavy metal, with some celtic influence in earlier albums. Their singer, Mike Scalzi has a very unique voice, love it or hate it.

Their whole discography is solid, but Traveller and Down Among the Deadman are all-time classics. Twilight of the Idols is the band's favorite album.

Check em out:

The new Blind Guardian song is fkn excellent and an instant classic. Metal as hell while still having one of their catchiest choruses ever

Album out September '22, so it will be a while, but damn

Not a single one of my absolute favourite Blind Guardian songs I've liked after the first listen, and thus I am contend to report for now: I don't like it.

Not a single one of my absolute favourite Blind Guardian songs I've liked after the first listen, and thus I am contend to report for now: I don't like it.
Hell yeah, that means it’s destined for your top ten then

I usually have to take some time to determine how much I like a new song—especially from BG, since they’re my fave and I don’t want to be overly hasty—but this one grabbed me from minute one and I love it more and more with each listen. It’s getting overwhelming positive feedback from the fan base too—going back to their speed metal roots with Hansi sounding his rawest since Imaginations while still retaining their modern elements of layered, melodic vocal harmonies all wrapped up in a production that finally breaks free of the overtly polished mastering they’ve been known for since… ANATO I guess.

It’s like the Blind Guardian platonic ideal

Lyrics are great too. About the salem witch trials told from the perspective of the puritanical nuts who were convinced they were doing God’s will

I should check this out. When I discovered metal via power metal back in the day, Nightfall in Middle Earth was one of my favorites. I never listen to Blind Guardian anymore.

Cult of Luna is one of those rare bands that never fail. They constantly release quality after quality release and they become better with every release

The new Blind Guardian song is fkn excellent and an instant classic. Metal as hell while still having one of their catchiest choruses ever

Just chiming in to say that as a BG fan of 20+ years, this song is the best mix of old/new they've done in a very long time. Can't wait for the full album!

So, what's everyone's AOTY?

I'm still reeling from "måsstaden under vatten". It's so good !! They really knocked it out of the park.

Lots of other good stuff, but special shoutout to STARSET, they never fail. "Horizons" is excellent.

This is me, bumping an old arse thread - because Botch just released their first new song in 20 something years and it's amazing.

One of the bands that got me in to heavier music from the very start.

Was supposed to attend a Northlane concert earlier in the month but they had to cancel because apparently getting visas to the US from Aussyland is a nightmare right now. 😮‍💨

But my September is stacked and I couldn't be more hyped. Monuments on the 6th, NIN on the 7th, The Contortionist on the 21st and Polkadot Cadaver on the 26th! Gonna be a blast!

What kind of metal do you usually steer towards? I have a lot to recommend if you're into djent/progressive metalcore
This stuff is great:

But I also like progressive metal, stuff like the Wilderun band.

This stuff is great:

But I also like progressive metal, stuff like the Wilderun band.

Perfect! I got some bands for that.

Misha's band Periphery is one of my favorite bands ever.

If you like what you hear from them, you'll love Monuments too, they're a bit heavier.

Also shoutout to Atoma. Very atmospheric.

If you like what you hear from them, you'll love Monuments too, they're a bit heavier.

Checking these out right now.

I also like stuff like this:

Let me know if you have anything like this or:

And even this (though this isn't really metal):

I've been listening to a lot of Powerwolf lately lol not very hard but very fun!

And also Arch Enemy's new album, which is probably about as hard as I go lol I was always more into skate punk and hardcore but I've been branching out as I've gotten older

Atoma seems nice. I like atmospheric music.

Which ones would you say are the best from the album?

This is me, bumping an old arse thread - because Botch just released their first new song in 20 something years and it's amazing.

One of the bands that got me in to heavier music from the very start.

This is going to sound cruel but honestly, MEH! DEP, whom had the good sense to call it quits and KEEP IT QUITS years ago at least quit on a respectable album. Botch may have come first but they've been badly outclassed by the bands that followed them and it shows, especially with this new song. And yes, Metallica and Slayer hung on way too long, Metallica should've called it a while back or just announced no new albums and slayer needed to call it a day after Christ Illusion, at the least.

Thread is interesting but shows the problem with Rock/Metal music these days..... so many obscure bands, everyone is just talking past one another for the most part.... The music is good, the scene is alive but the sad thing is aside from Legacy acts, NOBODY is making money/ a living off this stuff and the new generation has no broad interest in any of it. I don't blame them at all, I mean here we are fans and there are so many bands, sub-genres, albums, regional only acts, ect..... Its as easy to get into and welcoming as bank vault.

Only modern band that is making real headway is Ghost and haven't seen more puckered assholes in metal circles since black metal fans got the vapors after hearing Deafheaven for the first time. Unless I missed it, not one person has mentioned Ghost in this entire thread.

Flame me if you want but broad appeal and actual recognition matters lol.

This is going to sound cruel but honestly, MEH! DEP, whom had the good sense to call it quits and KEEP IT QUITS years ago at least quit on a respectable album. Botch may have come first but they've been badly outclassed by the bands that followed them and it shows, especially with this new song. And yes, Metallica and Slayer hung on way too long, Metallica should've called it a while back or just announced no new albums and slayer needed to call it a day after Christ Illusion, at the least.

Thread is interesting but shows the problem with Rock/Metal music these days..... so many obscure bands, everyone is just talking past one another for the most part.... The music is good, the scene is alive but the sad thing is aside from Legacy acts, NOBODY is making money/ a living off this stuff and the new generation has no broad interest in any of it. I don't blame them at all, I mean here we are fans and there are so many bands, sub-genres, albums, regional only acts, ect..... Its as easy to get into and welcoming as bank vault.

Only modern band that is making real headway is Ghost and haven't seen more puckered assholes in metal circles since black metal fans got the vapors after hearing Deafheaven for the first time. Unless I missed it, not one person has mentioned Ghost in this entire thread.

Flame me if you want but broad appeal and actual recognition matters lol.

Imaging posting this

How about some SLAM from China.

The Dark Prison Massacre - Triple Insanity

I don't have time to listen to as much slam as I want to, but this is pretty great.

Hello, me again. After trashing the modern metal scene and all of its fans, I have a request
Looking for an album to sink into for 2022, so the 2021 album release from....
King Woman? I like Khemmis so it seems at least in a similar vein, from what I've heard
Gojira? Speaks for itself
Carcass..... Have they evolved from their 90s releases (of which I've had the albums for since the mid 2000s lol)
Converge.... They've never clicked... so... maybe?

How broad are the metal genre definitions here? Does post-hardcore fly? My favorite band for the past couple of years has been Dance Gavin Dance. Their 2022 record is possibly the best they've ever recorded.

How broad are the metal genre definitions here? Does post-hardcore fly? My favorite band for the past couple of years has been Dance Gavin Dance. Their 2022 record is possibly the best they've ever recorded.

Wish I could seperate artist from art, but after them allegations, it's hard for me.

Wish I could seperate artist from art, but after them allegations, it's hard for me.
I know, it's been tough for me too. Tillian is out of the band at the moment, and supposedly doing therapy. Whether that helps him make the changes he needs to make, it's hard to say.

Are they the "best" around?

So I managed to grab a pass to next year hellfest (metal festival in France) during this crazy ticket sale, but I wasn't able to take one for my friend, and going solo in a festival kinda sucks...
So, if by any chance, someone here has a pass they want to get rid of, well, I'm here !

Back
Top Bottom