• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Metal \m/

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Any metalheads on Famiboards? Come here and share your passion!

I've been a metal fan since I was a teenager and it's music that always manages to engage me and captivate me and I feel really strong for it. I might devote my life to games, but I'll never stop being a metalhead at heart.

My most anticipated release of 2021 by a wide margin is Måsstaden under vatten by my favorite band Vildhjarta, an album a decade in the making. Can't wait.

What about you? What's bangin'?

Here! Been an on and off Metalhead since middle school. Particularly Death/Black/Doom metal. :)

If you like Death/Doom Metal I recommend giving these guys a shot.

Metal has been a massive part of my musical journey, though I gotta admit I haven't really discovered that many new bands in the last decade or so, though I kept listening to the ones I already knew and loved (unless they turned into something I no longer cared about, eg. Nightwish). I have a soft spot for several kinds of metal, but nowadays if I sit down and listen to it, it's likely one of my favourite progressive metalcore bands:

Holy shit, did not know Vildhjärta still existed.. they kinda just dissapeared and I didnt think much about it. Thanks for highlighting it to me. Looking forward to this as I loved the first album.

I have a story about this band that my friend is still giving a hard time about haha

Back in 2011 they were going to play on a festival called Metaltown here in Sweden, so I bought tickets in anticipation and all that.. as it turned out my friends band was also going to play that festival which was really cool but when they released the schedule..ofc they play the exact same time and on scenes very very far from each other.. so I had to pick and I chose Vildhjärta and sadly it wasnt a very good show, soundproblems and not very tight which is hard to come over with music like this :(

He's still giving me a hard time when ever we hang out =)

Currently anticipating the new Mastodon album and binging Death Breath - waiting for a new album..since 2006.

Holy shit, did not know Vildhjärta still existed.. they kinda just dissapeared and I didnt think much about it. Thanks for highlighting it to me. Looking forward to this as I loved the first album.

I have a story about this band that my friend is still giving a hard time about haha

Back in 2011 they were going to play on a festival called Metaltown here in Sweden, so I bought tickets in anticipation and all that.. as it turned out my friends band was also going to play that festival which was really cool but when they released the schedule..ofc they play the exact same time and on scenes very very far from each other.. so I had to pick and I chose Vildhjärta and sadly it wasnt a very good show, soundproblems and not very tight which is hard to come over with music like this :(

He's still giving me a hard time when ever we hang out =)

Currently anticipating the new Mastodon album and binging Death Breath - waiting for a new album..since 2006.

Their first album is phenomenal.

Hey, I was at that concert too! I was at the front row. I was super hyped seeing them. All These Feelings especially was extremely heavy live.

I'm really hyped for the new Mastodon as well. Crack the Skye is in my all-time top 10.

Their first album is phenomenal.

Hey, I was at that concert too! I was at the front row. I was super hyped seeing them. All These Feelings especially was extremely heavy live.

I'm really hyped for the new Mastodon as well. Crack the Skye is in my all-time top 10.

Ey that's cool! Maybe the sound was better up front than it was for me way in the back.
Good festival overall! =)

Mastodon just cant miss, they keep on delivering.
My two favorite ones is Leviathan and Blood Mountain but everything we've heard from Hushed and Grim so far is top tier stuff.

Yeah, another metalhead here.
Lately I'm down nostalgia lane as I'm listening to old Maiden and Metallica albums.
And I can't wait for the next mastodon coming end of the month!

Nice to see a metal thread here, I'm also a metalhead.

I was listening to some Autopsy on the weekend, namely Mental Funeral. Honestly I haven't listened to much metal in the last few months so I'm not burned out on it like I was before.

I was listening to some Autopsy on the weekend, namely Mental Funeral. Honestly I haven't listened to much metal in the last few months so I'm not burned out on it like I was before.

Bonesaw is my alltime favorite Autopsy track, I will never get tired of it.

Man I love Autopsy, I was so happy when they came back after theyr 15 year hiatus back in 2011. It was one of those death metal bands I thought I was never going to see.

I'm a boring stuck-with-the-bands-I-loved-as-teen metalhead, so I will only read the thread and listen to the posted songs but never speak up so as not to display my uneducated taste.

Oh, I also need to use this opportunity to rep Ghastly Funeral Theatre and Ancient God of Evil, two of my favourite albums!

I’ve gotten more into metal over the past year - mostly progressive, post- and djent type stuff. Periphery, Dance Gavin Dance, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, and Protest the Hero are the types that have been blowing my mind.

“From the Sky” by PtH is a fucking masterpiece of a track.

I've been a metalhead since high school. I also go through times where I just want to listen to metal from back then; there are also other times where I'm open to whatever Spotify throws at me. My usual bands I listen to tend to be doom, gothic, or metalcore.

I’ve gotten more into metal over the past year - mostly progressive, post- and djent type stuff. Periphery, Dance Gavin Dance, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, and Protest the Hero are the types that have been blowing my mind.

Protest the Hero are incredible. They just never truly miss, their worst songs and albums are like a high 7 or low 8 at worst. Their latest album is one of the best ones, too. Knew them for about 15 years now and they're one of the few metal bands I'd never sing a release from to this day.

Damn, that's a blast from the past. I was all over Fortress when it came out.

206139594_3865246246931841_8002760246322651373_n.jpg

I remember not checking this album out because Anthony Fantano said it was unlistenable garbage

bro this owns

Hey everyone! I'm a huge Maiden fan, so I've been looking forward to a new album for literal years. I'm incredibly happy with Senjutsu; yeah, the production isn't the best, but the songs are very strong and the album as a whole is pretty consistent.

I love the Blaze albums (Virtual XI being my all-time favourite Maiden album), but I never listened to his solo career. Of course, I knew a couple of songs, most prominently Stare At The Sun, but I decided to change that. Silicon Messiah has received heavy rotation this last week and damn, what a great album! Evolution sucks and there are a couple more (The Hunger, Reach For The Horizon) that aren't anything special, but the rest really kicks ass.

Having said that, I'm currently mixing my very first full length solo album, hopefully I'll be able to release it this year. I've learned a ton though lol

I’m not a super metal listener but I’ve had some fun with Animetal(original)/animetal usa(couple year project of a group of metal musicians doing a for fun project with a mix of covers of the former and some original covers) definitely have some fun stuff. Here’s one that’s a theme cover of a mecha show that’s definitely metal(manga version the pilot gets killed in the opening and resurrected as a cyborg)

Fun part of Animetal Usa was getting a bunch of anime/Toku themes in (pretty directly translated) English

And here’s a medley of Devilman, Kamen Rider V3, Gorranger and Ultraseven themes

I'm still new to metal so I can't really say I have any favorites yet. Mostly have listened to a random variety of stuff on Spotify so far. But I did get really into Scythelord (Vinesauce Joel's band) when I gave it a shot, only has two albums but I love them.

It's finally here, fami.

They streamed this at midnight, was listening to it while drinking with a friend. It was magical, the album is nothing short of unbelievable. My jaw was at the floor the entire time. So happy!

The Nintendo Metal thread made me think:

Power Metal bands have been surprisingly reluctant to transition from fantasy nerds writing concept albums about Lord of the Rings to fantasy nerds writing concept albums about Skyrim.

But maybe it's me who us out of touch with the times and there's a deluge of contemporary video-game inspired lyrics out there. Educate me, MetalFami. Where are the songs treating Kratos, Solaire and Link like Raistlin, Roland and Frodo?

What's your opinion, does this belong to the gaming side or fits here because it's the anime intro? ;]

----
Also, what's the opnion about Punk/Alternative and all, would that fit in here for a general "heavy music" thread or should there be seperate ones?

Hello, fellow metalheads.

This year I have been trying to buy more albums from bandcamp, to better support the bands, and there have been some absolute bangers:

Lingua Ignota is probably my favourite new artist, and she makes absolutely gut-wrenching music. Very experimental, but still catchy-ish. It's an acquired taste.

Hellenic black metal in the vein of Rotting Christ.

Romanian black metal

Danish "heavy and fast" metal

Gloriuos Nu-metal!

And of course, Andrew W.K. came out with his heaviest album yet, and it is fantastic!

The older I get, the more I fall back into my old metal favorites without branching out and exploring more. Something I'd like to change, because for a few years there I was super on top of new releases while also making a deliberate effort to catch up on unknown older gems. But then my work banned Spotify, which changed my listening habits drastically, and ever since I've been in my aforementioned rut of sticking with what's familiar.

Blind Guardian always has been and always will be my favorite band ever, both because they rule and also because they've played an inordinately important role in my life. Despite that though, I usually don't gravitate toward power metal and typically prefer thrashier stuff.

Already some great stuff in this thread I've never heard of before, so maybe this will give me the spark I need to start checking out unfamiliar stuff yet again \m/

The Nintendo Metal thread made me think:

Power Metal bands have been surprisingly reluctant to transition from fantasy nerds writing concept albums about Lord of the Rings to fantasy nerds writing concept albums about Skyrim.

But maybe it's me who us out of touch with the times and there's a deluge of contemporary video-game inspired lyrics out there. Educate me, MetalFami. Where are the songs treating Kratos, Solaire and Link like Raistlin, Roland and Frodo?
When’s my Gundam metal. Though to be fair there is Animetal

What's Thrash these days? Municipal Waste was the last time I paid any attention a newer band and they aren't new.

Will check out the new DT for sure. My expectations weren't too high, since I think they've become a bit stale lately.

As the forum is quite new, and I happen to be a massive heavy/power/prog fan, it might be good to do a quick dump of catchy tracks to kickstart discussion of the less brutal subgenres. I guess the target audience is newcomers to metal and it's more accessible/catchy subgenres, but feel free to chime in if you like any of it!

Awesome list, but I'd argue none of the stuff posted so far has been remotely brutal enough. Where are all my death and grind peeps at?

Some choice recs that dropped today:

Foreverglade by Worm

Where Fear and Weapons Meet by 1914

Not seeing enough extreme female vocal representation here. Let me help.

Rikke from Konvent still the GOAT.

Just finished listening to Dream Theater too and Transcending time is my fav track

Y'all familiar with Van Canto? They're one of my favorite bands. Metal acapella almost, except for a drummer.

I'm still of the opinion that Van Canto has made the perfect version of Kings of Metal. The ridiculous nature of the song goes perfectly with acapella.

I'm still of the opinion that Van Canto has made the perfect version of Kings of Metal. The ridiculous nature of the song goes perfectly with acapella.

The line "We got the biggest amps" hits different coming from an a capella band.

Oh, I also need to use this opportunity to rep Ghastly Funeral Theatre and Ancient God of Evil, two of my favourite albums!

Sigh on the first page?!? Excellent taste! This thread does not disappoint. I LOVE Sigh. Imaginary Sonicscape blew my mind when I first heard it. We should be due for a new album soon, hopefully!

Some of my favorites:

The Transfiguration Fear - Good introduction to the band

Hangman's Hymn / In Paradisum / Das Ende - This was my first exposure to Sigh and I was intrigued

Scarlet Dream - This album was my second Sigh album and it's what hooked me

Heresy I: Oblivium - I don't talk to any Sigh fans but I assume this album was divisive. I like it

I need to dig deeper into their early stuff. I've never even heard GFT so thanks for sharing, I'll check it out.

Sigh on the first page?!? Excellent taste! This thread does not disappoint. I LOVE Sigh. Imaginary Sonicscape blew my mind when I first heard it. We should be due for a new album soon, hopefully!

Some of my favorites:

The Transfiguration Fear - Good introduction to the band

Hangman's Hymn / In Paradisum / Das Ende - This was my first exposure to Sigh and I was intrigued

Scarlet Dream - This album was my second Sigh album and it's what hooked me

Heresy I: Oblivium - I don't talk to any Sigh fans but I assume this album was divisive. I like it

I need to dig deeper into their early stuff. I've never even heard GFT so thanks for sharing, I'll check it out.
I recommend their earlier stuff for sure, especially if you're into black metal.

Back
Top Bottom