• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection announced for Switch, PS4 and Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
calling it 10 games feels super deceptive since 8 of them are virtually identical to another one that's included. it wouldn't be complete without both, but it's also kind of wrong to act like they're really separate titles

3 especially, since the differences between the two versions are like 10 chips and a single exclusive boss

Crazy how heavily delayed by COVID this apparently was, but I'm glad we're finally getting it. Super excited to return to these games!

It's crazy that Capcom made 10 of these things in the lifespan of the Gameboy Advance but games were made a lot faster back then. Somewhere out there, there was a person who was a crazy of Mega Man Battle Network, .Hack, and Ratchet and Clank living in ecstasy for a 5 year span.
Minus .hack that was me, lol

Super happy to see this series finally get the collection treatment. It's one of my favorite sub-series for Mega Man and I never got to play all the entries on GBA.

Oh shit, this is really interesting. Something else going on they haven't revealed yet?

If they're going to enhance the collection, they should start by making all the content that's already in the games available (event bosses, Boktai crossover, etc.). VOs or whatever wouldn't be interesting to me at all.

I never played these, but this was a common thing I wish to be announced in a direct. It was one of the clear stand outs for today's show.

I played one of these on the DS like ten to fifteen years ago. I don't remember much about it, but it will be interesting to check it out and see whether I can dig up any old memories.

I really wish they would add Mega Man Network Transmission to the collection, since it is part of the series and it is a damn good and underrated game.

I really wish they would add Mega Man Network Transmission to the collection, since it is part of the series and it is a damn good and underrated game.
I've never played Network Transmission, so, yeah, feels like a wasted opportunity.

the Wonderswan platformer, Network Transmission, Battle Chip Challenge and 4.5 Real Operation are pretty notable omissions

one of those was never localized and was largely intended to have people using a long forgotten peripheral, so y'know fine, that one might just be lost to time

but the others really should've gotten included

I know Mega Man Legacy Collections typically don't have spinoff games, but for Battle Network in particular, they would have been very good inclusions because each of them are fascinating, like how Network Transmission is the blend of classic Mega Man and the Battle Network chip system, and Battle Chip Challenge's spectator-like battle system.

Thank you for reading.

A couple weird/notable things that have come out since the announcement:

Most of the game text in the trailer was added with video editing in both the English and Japanese uploads, with both seeming to have the original Japanese version's text hidden behind the overlay. So that could explain why the font looks so bad. Of course, even though it was merely edited into the trailer, it might still represent what they intend to do in the final release, but I really hope not.

Capture.png

The above is a frame from the JP trailer upload where the overlay isn't properly aligned and you can see the text behind it.

Most likely, they just picked the Japanese version to use as the base so the footage would be the same for all regions, and they could reuse it as a template while editing in the translations for each upload. So I don't think it has any implications for which version of the game ROM they'll be using in each region.

Then there was a Famitsu article covering Capcom stuff that said the game's development is only 50% complete, begging the question of what's the 50% left to do in a game that looks complete from the footage but isn't coming out for up to 16 months. Surely that can't just be translation, so then what?

Didn't one or two of these games have a cross over with Boktai but it was removed in the international release due to licensing? I wonder which version they are going to put in the collection. I'm guessing the version without the crossover but it would be crazy if the Japanese version still had the Boktai content while the other versions did not.

Quoted by: LiC
Didn't one or two of these games have a cross over with Boktai but it was removed in the international release due to licensing? I wonder which version they are going to put in the collection. I'm guessing the version without the crossover but it would be crazy if the Japanese version still had the Boktai content while the other versions did not.
4 through 6 all had Boktai crossover content. BN6 is the one where it was removed for the international release, but I'm not sure it was due to licensing. Boktai 3 wasn't released outside Japan so I think they just didn't bother localizing the content. Also, Battle Network's international releases had issues with storage space that led to certain graphics being removed, so that could have been another factor with the Boktai sprites.

There may be licensing issues now, who knows, although the Boktai content did all survive in the Wii U Virtual Console releases added in 2014-2016. And if they have licensing issues, they wouldn't be able to release BN4 or BN5 without redoing or reskinning things.

I know Mega Man Legacy Collections typically don't have spinoff games, but for Battle Network in particular, they would have been very good inclusions because each of them are fascinating, like how Network Transmission is the blend of classic Mega Man and the Battle Network chip system, and Battle Chip Challenge's spectator-like battle system.

Thank you for reading.
I believe there was also a WonderSwan Battle Network game.

i remember hearing on the giant bomb podcast a while ago that there's like a big scene of competitive multiplayer battle network fans who use emulators with online hacks to play the games. this collection having online play will probably be a big plus for many people.

That's good news, and helps to explain the long development timeline. Still no word on what locked or previously unlocalized content they'll be making available.

Probably not a feature I care that much about, but it's nice to see and suggests they're really putting the effort in here.

I never actually got around to playing these contemporaneously, so I am very excited to finally get around to it. Capcom is taking all of my money with their various collection.

I was undefeated in Red Sun. One the few games i still own as i sell most things. I might have to find a handheld to see what my old Chip Setup was...if it still exists.

I was shocked when they said that there are TEN games. I didn't know there were so many.

Well there are really 12 and this only really includes 10, 4 of which are redundant. You're effectively getting 6 games here when we should have got 8, but this is still a great collection.

This continues to be a day one purchase for me. Love to see nostalgia bait getting all the stops pulled out for it.

Some updates from an interview with the game's producer:

• Eguchi says his team planned to include online communication features from the start of development.
  • When MMBNLC was first announced, the demand for online functionality was greater than Eguchi expected. It was clear that online play was a shared dream between fans and MMBNLC staff.
  • Eguchi says they are investing a lot of time and effort in various aspects of the collection, not just online functionality. He declined to share further details at this time.
  • The games aren't emulated - they're fresh ports. Eguchi says this was necessary because each game required changes to better suit current-generation hardware/ecosystems. Porting all ten games and rebuilding their respective communication features for online play required a significant amount of work.
  • 3 MILLION WORDS across ten games (7,500 pages when collected into a single script) had to be translated into multiple languages. Bug checks for all ten titles was extraordinarily time-consuming.
  • Some old design documents and planning materials (such as maps drawn on paper with pencil) from the GBA era were not in perfect condition. To remedy this, the MMBNLC team consulted with former Battle Network staff members. Eguchi admits he sometimes found it difficult to answer questions from the staff in charge of porting.
  • The dev team have yet to determine if special event-exclusive distribution Battle Chips (such as GateMan SP, Gospel, etc.) will be included in the collection.

great source. thanks a bunch

it looks like they really are trying to do right by this collection. i really hope they have the extra content from 5 DS and 6 [JPN].

Some updates from an interview with the game's producer:

• Eguchi says they are investing a lot of time and effort in various aspects of the collection, not just online functionality. He declined to share further details at this time.
  • The games aren't emulated - they're fresh ports. Eguchi says this was necessary because each game required changes to better suit current-generation hardware/ecosystems. Porting all ten games and rebuilding their respective communication features for online play required a significant amount of work.

Hot damn at these two bullet points. They really are going above and beyond for this.

The games aren't emulated - they're fresh ports. Eguchi says this was necessary because each game required changes to better suit current-generation hardware/ecosystems. Porting all ten games and rebuilding their respective communication features for online play required a significant amount of work.

Oh wow, this is nuts! That's why it was taking so long, then. Really heartwarming to see the team putting so much love and care into a Megaman project though.

HD text, nice.

I'm definitely go with smooth filter, pixelated look on handheld screen gives me massive headaches.

New trailer tomorrow! Wonder if we'll get a release date?

New info on #MegaManBattleNetwork Legacy Collection is on the way! Tune in tomorrow at 4:00 PM PST / 12:00 AM GMT for an update on Mr. Famous News and a new trailer! Send your NetNavi to the link below for a front-row seat at the Premiere:

Oh thank goodness, they fixed the BN6 crisis music in postgame.

Also, they don't say exactly what, but apparently the Japan-exclusive content will be in the games since they're based on the Japanese versions. Very hopeful that includes the Boktai crossover!

Well, this means that Boktai hasn't been scrubbed completely from the games or anything. So things are looking up for all the content actually being available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom