• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Matt McMuscles and Liam Allen-Miller play Castlevania 64 for the first time [Also, Castlevania 64 appreciation thread]

The Castle Center saga was really fun. Every time they say something is cool or neat my life is prolonged 1 more year.

One thing this game does right is the atmosphere. I've played a bit of the other 3D games and while they have better controls 64 justreally sets up the atmosphere really well.

I should try getting into the franchise more, I never really payed that much attention to Castlevania outside 64 and Aria of Sorrow.

Haven’t played this one but how’s the music? A key component to a great CV game imo
Quiet and atmospheric, and it fits amazingly well. There are some more classic tunes, like Castle center or Clock tower. It has my favorite rendition of Dance of Illusions though.

And Legacy of Darkness has my favorite rendition of The sinking old sanctuary.

-"Without the death on my hand, it's just not the same."
-"Unless the fish actually feel real fear, you're not interested."
-"Yeah, I like to watch the life leave their eyes."

Also, Dracula was doing so well and he had the upper hand, but then he made a fatal mistake. He oversucked.

Let this be a lesson to us all. Always suck within reason. Never oversuck.

Fuck, i still need to finish watching part 9. Do they complete even the clock tower here? Amazing.

I have a lot of free time today, so i'll watch both.

Fuck, i still need to finish watching part 9. Do they complete even the clock tower here? Amazing.

I have a lot of free time today, so i'll watch both.
They did and a valid question was asked.

Why the fuck does Drac need all those huge clocks and clocktowers for? Dude saw Big Ben once and went "I WANT THAT SHIT IN MY CASTLE".

Love Matt & Liam and this LP has been a good blast to the past! Hoping they do end up playing LoD, I guess for next year's October?

Never played the 64 Castlevanias, since AVGN and the like turned me away from them, but I see you CV64 fans and it makes me want to give it a try.

That Dueling Tower level looked real rough though, hah. The game's biggest downfall seems to be the camera controls to me. Could have used the good ol' "Press Z to recenter behind character" action. Don't blame the devs though, everyone was still trying to figure out the camera back then, heh.

Could have used the good ol' "Press Z to recenter behind character" action.
It does have that, with R.

I had forgotten the second half goes so fast. Liam also got really good with the platforming.

Nostalgia. This was my first Castlevania game. Always liked it, never played it since back in the day but after the GBA Collection and DS Collection, I'm hoping they pack the 3D Konami Castlevania games together and do a 3D Castlevania collection for the N64 and PS2/OG Xbox games. Would definitely like to play them all again and see how they hold up.

I always remembered the skeletons on bikes enemies.

It was so weird to watch it without a voiceover for Drácula. It felt empty.

They unlocked the good ending! Next video is going to be really entertaining :)

Part 11 is up! I'm kind of surprised this apparently isn't the finale, but hey, if this means more good good Matt and Liam content, I'm not complaining!

Wait no, they've got the Carrie playthrough to do still.

Last edited:
Love Matt & Liam and this LP has been a good blast to the past! Hoping they do end up playing LoD, I guess for next year's October?

Never played the 64 Castlevanias, since AVGN and the like turned me away from them, but I see you CV64 fans and it makes me want to give it a try.

That Dueling Tower level looked real rough though, hah. The game's biggest downfall seems to be the camera controls to me. Could have used the good ol' "Press Z to recenter behind character" action. Don't blame the devs though, everyone was still trying to figure out the camera back then, heh.
Really hoping it makes NSO myself

I didn't know we were getting Carrie's campaign so soon!

That sliding animation LOL

Their reaction was appropriate.

Like, she just flops down face-first into the ground.

Edit: Holy shit she's broken. Just murderizing everything with her multi-target homing chargeable magic projectile.

She is on some diet Yondu shit.

Last edited:
They tried to make Carrie a cutesy character like Maria, but she herself is as serious as the game is, so there's a dissonance between some of the animations and the general feeling of the game.

By the way, i feel like this is something that needs to be said: Belnades is a mistranslation, Sypha (and all her successors) are called Fernández in Japan, but her name came here badly translated (like Lecarde. Konami America jus didn't give a shit about spanish names) and Carrie is the first character where it was finally translated properly.

Then, in the manual was stated that she was a relative of the Belnades clan to, i guess, cover the fuck up and go with the non main family theme that Reinhardt also has.

I took advantage of this in my fanfic and created the small Fernández family as a forgotten branch of the Belnades family. That was a fun thing to write.

They tried to make Carrie a cutesy character like Maria, but she herself is as serious as the game is, so there's a dissonance between some of the animations and the general feeling of the game.

By the way, i feel like this is something that needs to be said: Belnades is a mistranslation, Sypha (and all her successors) are called Fernández in Japan, but her name came here badly translated (like Lecarde. Konami America jus didn't give a shit about spanish names) and Carrie is the first character where it was finally translated properly.

Then, in the manual was stated that she was a relative of the Belnades clan to, i guess, cover the fuck up and go with the non main family theme that Reinhardt also has.

I took advantage of this in my fanfic and created the small Fernández family as a forgotten branch of the Belnades family. That was a fun thing to write.
Ah so she is related to Sypha?

No wonder she is busted AF.

Yes my reference for Sypha is the Netflix show.

Ah so she is related to Sypha?

No wonder she is busted AF.

Yes my reference for Sypha is the Netflix show.
Ahahahah yeah, i got it. Still, yeah, she's really OP

West Konami did shit localizations easily until 6th gen, but a lot of thigs got fucked in the early years. The Belnades name is my favorite example, because there's noother indication of Sypha having actual spanish roots, yet they have been always there, and the character itself became so legendary and the name so instutitionalized that there's no way they try to retroactively localize it correctly all the way back to Sypha.

And yeah, just like Reinhardt is supposed to be a Belmont (as told by Matt in the playthrough, Reinhardt's beta name was Schneider Belmont) Carrie is supposed to be a direct descendant of Sypha, but that was retconned here because they actualy translated the Fernández name correctly for once xD

And thus the saga of Boney Fracas concludes...

...probably until next year, when skeletons add sidecars and machine-guns to their motorcycles.

Shit, i lost track of this after the first Carrie video. Assignements are taking all of my time.

Seems like this time they went significatly faster, right? Done in only 4 videos.

They were also longer iirc.
Still haven't watched them (busy as fuck with November assignments and exam season) but i guess thay must have made a lot of cuts in the repeating parts

The interesting thing about playing with Carrie after Reinhardt is showing the gameplay and the exclusive stuff.

They really like the Carrie stages.

They are better than Reinhardt's imo. Larger and less mechanical, if it makes any sense.

Tower of Execution (and i don't remember if Tower of duel too) got a significant overhaul in Legacy of Darkness, but Reinhardt's CV64 stages are pretty rushed.

I need to watch those videos >__>

They are better than Reinhardt's imo. Larger and less mechanical, if it makes any sense.

Tower of Execution (and i don't remember if Tower of duel too) got a significant overhaul in Legacy of Darkness, but Reinhardt's CV64 stages are pretty rushed.

I need to watch those videos >__>

Yep I agree. I still like the openness of the originals first stage over LoD though.

Back
Top Bottom