• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Matt McMuscles and Liam Allen-Miller play Castlevania 64 for the first time [Also, Castlevania 64 appreciation thread]

Reinhard Schneider

Forgotten vampire hunter
Pronouns
He/Him
Sorry if this isn't an adequate thread, but this just warmed my heart. I'm a huge Castlevania 64 fan *points avatar* and i have always thought that the game is criminally underrated. The other day i got a notification on Youtube from Matt McMuscles channel about a new playthrough from him, but after his botched Wha Happun video about the game, i wasn't expected too much.

However, the videos (there's two parts for now) are full of genuine reactions and paint the game in a more nuanced, positive light. In so far it's been quite an enjoyable watch for me as a fan, so i think it's worth the time to watch it.

The hypest gameplay on youtube! Heck yeah!

I've been watching this LP myself, and I've gotta say, not only is watching Matt and Liam as enjoyable as ever, but seeing this oft forgotten Castlevania game in action is really cool? It looks a little slow in places for my tastes, but it actually does look like a functioning, playable game that has a lot of cool stuff in it! Like the freaking motorcycle skeletons! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

I remember this game having great graphics for the time but VERY wonky controls. Rented it once and never played again

Imma watch this tonight.

Castlevania 64 is a great game!
2002ypk45.gif

Legacy of Darkness has freaking motorcycle skeletons with sidecar
I've been meaning to get into Castlevania for the longest time (thanks to the anime). This bit of info right here(and the release of the Advance collection, I guess) might just be my impetus to actually start.
I hope both versions make it to NSO so I can give it a full try. Save states will help a lot
Hmm. See, Konami already has two collections of Castlevania games out there. They could go the NSO route with the N64 Castlevania's, true, but I wonder if they'd rather do another collection for the 3D Castlevania?

Hmm. See, Konami already has two collections of Castlevania games out there. They could go the NSO route with the N64 Castlevania's, true, but I wonder if they'd rather do another collection for the 3D Castlevania?

I don't see it, honestly, the platforms involved are too complex and hard to get right in emulation (N64 and PS2) Not to mention, Konami seems to repudiate the 3D entries. They haven't tried re-releasing them even once.

NSO may be the big chance to finally get the N64 ones at least.

I love Castlevania 64 and I will always defend it.

The person playing seems to be liking it; they know what's up.

I've been meaning to get into Castlevania for the longest time (thanks to the anime). This bit of info right here(and the release of the Advance collection, I guess) might just be my impetus to actually start.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue with expansion pack, genesis has 2 games already in collections even. Ply as aforementioned n64 games tend to get passed over due to high effort for minimal return

I don't see it, honestly, the platforms involved are too complex and hard to get right in emulation (N64 and PS2) Not to mention, Konami seems to repudiate the 3D entries. They haven't tried re-releasing them even once.

NSO may be the big chance to finally get the N64 ones at least.
Doesn’t seem to be an issue with expansion pack, genesis has 2 games already in collections even. Ply as aforementioned n64 games tend to get passed over due to high effort for minimal return
Ah, bummer about the collection chances then. In that case, I definitely want the n64 Castlevanias on NSO then.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I vastly prefer playing CV64 + LOD than any of the Lords of Shadow games. Those games do nothing for me as a fan of the series.

Castlevania 64 is still the definitive 3D Castlevania game. Bought on launch day and had no regrets. I recently played it again and I love how the atmosphere still holds up incredibly well, platforming is hard but satisfying.

Such an underrated game. People dismissed it at the time since it transitioned the series from 2D to 3D, had ugly 3D graphics when compared to the high quality 2D sprites of SotN, no CD sound, and some control issues. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and consider the chainsaw chase through the rose garden maze to be legit terrifying. The atmosphere is great and is still the best 3D representation of Castlevania. I hope it gets released on NSO and more people get a chance to try it out and not just rely on it's undeserved reputation.

Last edited:
My big gripe about is the same as most of the n64 games, the frame rate making things slower than it should be.

Oh and the final boss is the stuff of breaking controllers.

Part 3 is up

Haven't watched it yet, but after they shat their pants with the Villa guardian dogs, i can't wait to watch them tackle the garden labyrinth

The Garden didn't disappoint 😄. Too bad they missed the save spot inside the mansion. At least Liam didn't get too frustrated and is still enjoying the game. Getting inside the coffin was pretty clever.

I've said this before and I will say it again, I vastly prefer playing CV64 + LOD than any of the Lords of Shadow games. Those games do nothing for me as a fan of the series.

Castlevania 64 is still the definitive 3D Castlevania game. Bought on launch day and had no regrets. I recently played it again and I love how the atmosphere still holds up incredibly well, platforming is hard but satisfying.

Y'all be knowing! It can't get said enough: KCE Kobe truly "got" Castlevania in ways that few others did, including even IGA. I only wish that Konami appreciated them better.

Or failing that, that somebody would let them make another Castlevania-style game.

I don't agree with the LoS slander, but i have always said that Konami Kobe got the Castlevania formula right from the first time, and they were very creative with the N64 games.

They were absorbed into Iga' Team when Konami unified all divisions and it shows on Portrait of Ruin. That game has a certain Konami Kobe feel that i can't help but to love.

By the way, watching these videos reminded me of something i loved from CV64: The skeletons.

They're amazingly detailed for such a minor enemy at the time: they can lose their head, arms and legs, if they lose their legs they'll keep fighting on the ground, dragging themselves torwards you, they are also persistent and will jump and enter other spaces to follow you.

I was impressed by them back in the day and got impressed again while watching this, nowadays it's all closed arena fights, but in this game these motherfuckers will follow you to the dephts of hell.

I played C64 earlier this year for the first time, it has some jank but is overall a nice and interesting entry of the series, is a transition of 2D to 3D Classicvania that I would have liked to see more refined with potential sequels.

I played C64 earlier this year for the first time, it has some jank but is overall a nice and interesting entry of the series, is a transition of 2D to 3D Classicvania that I would have liked to see more refined with potential sequels.
I loved to imagine a new Castlevania in the same fórmula for Gamecube, parallel to Konami Tokio's Igavanias. Shame it never materialized.

After this let's play and that The Game Show restrospective, I find myself hoping they add Castlevania 64 and its sequel to N64 NSO.

Need to experience motorcycle skeletons and motorcycle sidecar skeletons first hand.

Def gonna have to watch the play though, I love Matt!

I really hope that if Konami ever revisits 3D Castlevania, they implement some of the features (like vampire status or trying out a day and night cycle again) from 64 into it. The game had a lot of potential and I actually still enjoy playing Legacy of Darkness today. Seriosuly, I wish Cornell was in more games.

Do you think that kid actually made it back through the Spoopy skeleton forest?

On one hand, you'd think he'd be in trouble if he ran into the skeletons, but on the other hand, he sure can book it.

Do you think that kid actually made it back through the Spoopy skeleton forest?

On one hand, you'd think he'd be in trouble if he ran into the skeletons, but on the other hand, he sure can book it.
Oh man how i want to comment on this...

Seeing how dedicating threads to particular LPs is seemingly accepted at FamiBoards, I will be opening a thread for the inevitable Woolie VS Kirby and the Forgotten Land, unless someone beats me to it.

I've become a huge Castlevania fan over the past handful of years, but I won't realistically ever be able to play these games unless they come to NSO or Konami rereleases them. The second N64 game in particular looks so rad given my nostalgic fondness for that system and era, so I really hope it sees the light of day again.

Was just about to post it. The underground could be a real pain in the ass, can't wait to watch them trying to navigate it.

I'm glad to see these games getting some love. Matt and Liam have the best chemistry and it's always a joy to see them play through a game together. Definitely recommend their Sonic Adventure 2 playthrough if you wan to see more of them together.

Castlevania 64 is definitely underrated. To me, this is the only 3D Castlevania game that got the look, feel and atmosphere of the series right. As a kid I thought this was the natural progression of the series.

In which Liam tries to backtrack without literally exploding and fights The Cleric Bull.

And then, sad vampire fights.

P.S. You know, it might be down to how Matt and Liam frame him and read his dialogue, but Reinhard really comes off as some sort of a bumbling vampire fighting Christian himbo.

Last edited:
Reinhard really comes off as some sort of a bumbling vampire fighting Christian himbo
He really feels like that, the voiceover only adds to it lol

Castlevania 64 has a really good story for Castlevania standards, simple and to the point, but the dialogues could have used a bit more work.

The Behemoth battle will never not be amazing.

The Behemoth battle, once Liam managed to get over the initial difficulty spike, was rad as heck. The way each part of the beast rapidly decays, leaving only the skeleton and gets behind is a really cool idea. If Castlevania ever returns to 3D, I really want to see to see that fight recreated with modern tech.

Something that can't be overstated is that Konami Kobe loved their big poligonal explosions.

If they reach the good ending, the final boss is going to be the stuff of legends.

I did Castlevania 64 last year and I enjoyed it more than anticipated, it got me to hunt a copy of Legacy of Darkness which I still have to finish.

I did however watch some speedruns to be aware of some skipping tricks which make the game a bit less tedious in some segments.

Something that can't be overstated is that Konami Kobe loved their big poligonal explosions.

If they reach the good ending, the final boss is going to be the stuff of legends.
Now you've got me excited (more excited than I was before, even)!

I'm tempted to say that maybe we should convert this thread into a Castlevania General thread.

Now you've got me excited (more excited than I was before, even)!

I'm tempted to say that maybe we should convert this thread into a Castlevania General thread.
Agree. We have half of the series on Switch already.

I'm not good at Official Threads though, but i'll try to get something done later.

Back
Top Bottom