• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Masahiro Sakurai teases a Kid Icarus Uprising Port

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
I thought this definitely needs it's own thread. Through Sakurai's YouTube channel, today Sakurai was talking about the fiends cauldron. He then ended the video with "It sure would would be nice to play Kid Icarus on a home console. I wonder if someone will port it".

Could this Sakurai be teasing a new port of kid Icarus? Or is he just trolling?

I definitely would like to play it on a home console. I think the 3DS control scheme probably held it back from being perfect.

Doug Bowser trying desperately to reach Sakurai right now

"You slick asshole WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?!"

On one hand: why would he tease something that's not happening? That would be mean
On the other hand: why would he tease something that he knows is happening? That would ruin the surprise of the announcement.
The tease is quantum locked. Can't know which is true til the day it's announced.

On one hand: why would he tease something that's not happening? That would be mean
On the other hand: why would he tease something that he knows is happening? That would ruin the surprise of the announcement.
Duality of Nintendo

On the one hand: Ouch shit my palm hurts from the corner of the 3DS digging into it
On the other hand: Ouch shit my wrist hurts from the way I need to contort it

Real talk though, if this is an actual tease I expect it to be announced soon. Like sometime in the first half of next year soon. Otherwise he wouldn't say anything.

He's probably not teasing anything. He's done this before with things like "it's a shame the Zelda amiibos for smash don't look like the ultimate versions", and obviously nothing came out of that either.

If it wasn't happening, maybe it's happening now? He may be pulling a reverse Iwata, when he announced Brawl before Sakurai was on board lol.

While I do believe Kid Icarus Uprising is the 3D Action game Bandai's remaking/porting for Nintendo (although I really would want it to be Star Fox Adventures + Assault instead), I don't think this is connected to that. Just Sakurai being a cheeky lil teasing man

He's probably not teasing anything. He's done this before with things like "it's a shame the Zelda amiibos for smash don't look like the ultimate versions", and obviously nothing came out of that either.
As far as we know right now—that doesn’t mean it can’t still be happening! After all, they haven’t even finished releasing amiibo for all the DLC fighters yet; it’s possible that Ultimate variants for fighters like Zelda and Ganondorf and such are still planned, but being held off until the DLC amiibo are done. After all, that’d be a good way for Nintendo to continue making Smash Bros. amiibo even with Ultimate having completed its development now with no new fighters being added anymore.

People are gonna get mad and blame Sakurai if nothing gets announced lol

I don't think this is a tease tbh

would love to be wrong but this reads like a cheeky sakurai moment a la the acknowledgement that you have to play banjo on xbox
Ironic since Banjo ended up on Switch a couple of years later!

Maybe it’s a cry for help, Sakurai has actually been locked in his room to work on the Switch 2 Smash but he wants to escape and make the game he truly wants!

Could be like what Ryan Reynolds did with Deadpool, how he did that test footage and Fox passed on it, then he leaked the test footage to drum up fan support to pressure Fox into actually greenlighting it.

I dunno what Sakurai's doing, I just wanna play this game

I would like a version of Kid Icarus Uprising that doesn't physically hurts to play, definitely.

Also, let me mute the chatting in my first run through the levels...

My feeling was always that this video series is leading up to, or a prologue for, an announcement of some kind.
OR - and hear me out - this is just an empty teaze meant to generate buzz around his video series and attract more viewers.

either its happening or hes trying to get people rallied so he can pitch it. hes faced so much harrassment over things that were very obviously not teases, i dont think hes the type to make jokes like that

either its happening or hes trying to get people rallied so he can pitch it. hes faced so much harrassment over things that were very obviously not teases, i dont think hes the type to make jokes like that
Oh god, you've just reminded me of the Waluigi chair fiasco... Why would Sakurai subject himself to that again? I know the man is very tough, but is he that much of a masochist?

On the one hand, pretty blatant... On the other, Masahiro Sakurai, trolling extraordinare

I don't think this is a tease tbh

would love to be wrong but this reads like a cheeky sakurai moment a la the acknowledgement that you have to play banjo on xbox
Sakurai has spent the last 20 years choosing his words carefully and being tight-lipped from years of Smash, not giving the fanbase anything to grasp onto. He knows what he's saying here.

i feel like this is definitely a case where it's not supposed to be hinting at anything.
this is the same sakurai who notably cut back on Twitter for a while because Smash fans were taking everything he ever posted on there as being hints towards what content is coming to Smash Bros.
I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around,
For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.

Sounds somewhat similar to what Anouma said about a skyward sword port? Something along the lines of… does anyone want to play a port of skyward sword? I really hope it happens, Nintendo needs to get more of its game series back with annual franchises.

The actual video is the most neutral line reading you can get. No smile, no wink to the camera, anything. This is no active tease.

It might be happening (Namco Bandai is remastering an action game) or he might have just wanted to put that idea out into the world that’d it be nice to have.

i feel like this is definitely a case where it's not supposed to be hinting at anything.
this is the same sakurai who notably cut back on Twitter for a while because Smash fans were taking everything he ever posted on there as being hints towards what content is coming to Smash Bros.
...but this is proof that he knows the effect of his words and so typically he cuts back on what he says so it doesn't get misconstrued.

I think the only other time he did something similar to this was for Smash 4 when he showed off Captain Falcon and said something along the lines of, "When are you going to get your own/new game?"

No smile,
image.png

That’s a very neutral expression for him. He’s a fairly animated guy.

Edit: Ok, it’s a slight smile at the end. But like, it’s hardly any different than his other videos when he says goodbye.

I stand by this isn’t an active tease even if it might be happening regardless.

I mean I hated the control scheme because it gave me hand cramps but the idea of the game was brilliant. I loved every second I played even though it was uncomfortable. If they can redesign it as a dual stick game it would sell tons.

It is a smile, but really... Sakurai's smile can mean anything from "Nope guys, not happening" to "Oh, I know somebody is working on it right now" or "Would be nice if somebody would do it"

I have always thought it was a shame this game wasn't more succesful, it had so much love, effort and talent poured into it, and it was so well made, that it not becoming the face of the 3DS is a failure from the fandom.

I mean, it didn't bomb, but it clearly didn't meet expectations, and people got too hung up on a control scheme that had been used on the DS family for years and years (Hell, the Metroid Prime Hunters demo already did it)

Pretty sure Sakurai wasn't teasing anything, at most i think he was just throwing the idea to Nintendo (who, i bet, monitor his channel very closely)

Kid Icarus: Uprising was my GOTY in 2012. It's a masterpiece with a GLORIOUS OST, and I would even go further and say this game should be the case study when looking at how to revive stagnating or dormant Nintendo IPs. From the new worlds, to the bestiary, to the scriptwriting, to the sound design, combat, and surprises in between, I feel there's a lot to take from here in IPs such as Metroid, StarFox, even F-Zero. I'm dyspraxic and left-handed (well, semi-ambidextrous, except for writing, and due to frequent hand and arm pains...), but was able to find a customised control scheme which made this game a better experience.

However, this game would've been even better had the New 3DS been the 3DS in the first place, or further still, a Wii U launch title - It would've had a real use for the right-hand stick. Also, With the GamePad, a port would've been possible. There is a lot of information on the second screen, notably, your interactions with Palutena, and transfering that to a single screen would be very overwhelming and distracting from the flight gameplay especially, which gets increasingly intense. So, there are legitimate and very practical reasons why a Switch port is easier said than done. Lastly, but not least, this game was very challenging to develop, and had taken its toll on Sakurai's health, which was noted in a past interview. As much as I would love a new entry, I wouldn't want it if it takes so much from him... Perhaps there is another studio to do it, but it's also documented that in the late 2000s, a Kid Icarus title on the Wii was cancelled because Nintendo didn't like the direction, which was very much influenced by God Of War, dropped the "Kid" from the title, and depicted Pit as a Fallen Angel with an "edgy" appearance. It's clear that Nintendo are fond of this IP, and had big plans for it at one time, but for Sakurai, his health should come first.

Back
Top Bottom