• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Masahiro Sakurai describes himself as "semi-retired" in Denfaminicogamer interview

Mekanos

YOU は SHOCK
Pronouns
he/they
The whole column is worth reading about (click the tweet to see the whole thread) but this bit in particular was interesting:

I wonder if this means he will still be involved from a producer standpoint, but maybe not as a director? Things could change, but age catches up to all of us.

I hope this means he's doing more to groom his successor than being entirely hands on as he was previously.

With Smash, I remember him comparing himself to a "museum curator". Ideally, someone else can take over the work when he's finally ready to hand over the keys.

sakurai passes out in a sauna
"he'll still make smash 6"
sakurai says he'll never top ultimate
sakurai calls ultimate his final mission from iwata
sakurai literally describes himself as retired

I think this means he's only providing guidance for games, instead of fully making them. After all, does Sakurai really need to direct Kid Icarus Uprising HD and Smash 6?

Did Sakurai actually pass out in a sauna?

Yeah, it's so dumb. Let the poor dude take a break, he's been crunching himself for years.

People laughed at me when I got one of those iPad holders for above my bed but now that I know Sakurai has one too I can rest easy knowing it was a chad move.

Quick correction: This isn't from Famitsu. Rather it's an interview with the website called "Denfaminicogamer"

*He’ll still make Smash 7.

Hope y'all are ready for Ultimate Deluxe on Switch 2

Because like, what else are they supposed to do with Smash at this point

I could see the next Smash release indeed being Smash Ultimate Deluxe of some sort, where someone else handles new content (same basic game but a handful of new characters, stages, some new modes and MAYBE new single player campaign or so), with Sakurai just keeping an eye on it.

Push's translation thread is very brief for better or worse (worse if you're trying to get the full context of what he's saying). Compare these comments for example:

The "semi-retire" comment are the interviewer's words, not his own; though he does say it is accurate in that he considers his YouTube channel his 終活 ("shukatsu"; preparations for death), something he wants to do now while he is able to. No comment he makes precludes him from directing or working on another video game again, just that he doesn't want making games to be the only thing he does for the remainder of his life.

In one of his early Youtube videos that briefly touched on all of the games he worked on so far, it ended with him teasing a new project and in his most recent one that talks about his company it sounds like he hasn’t changed the way he works in a while (being hired as freelance and inserting himself into his current team’s workplace). Definitely agree it sounds like a bit of a mistranslation here. Maybe he’s not working quite as intense on his current project as he did with Smash Bros and his relationship with his Youtube project got mixed in with that.

I am fully ok about Sakurai being semi-retired. He basically directed three Smash Bros games all on different hardware within nearly a decade nonstop. Including DLC!

To be fair, who even knows what "semi-retired" would actually entail for Sakurai? The man has been known to work himself beyond typical human limits.

But, yeah, as Mondo has pointed out, it appears the "semi-retired" comment might not be the most useful to go on, with stronger nuance in the conversation.

he also talks about how he was motivated by Smash wrapping up & realising his time as a working dev is limited—he's 52 now & he'd been working on Smash for 9 years straight; games take so long to make nowadays that if he kept working on them with the same commitment, his life...

...would be eaten up in a blink, and there's no guarantee he'll have the option of relaxing later, either, so the video channel is him doing it ASAP while he still has time the channel's not a forever thing, either: it will eventually end, hopefully with a bang

No comment he makes precludes him from directing or working on another video game again, just that he doesn't want making games to be the only thing he does for the remainder of his life.
Can't say I blame him there, really. He might be especially passionate about the industry and medium, but that doesn't mean he can't have other things he wants to do, and he's even in a position where he can make those choices.

I could see the next Smash release indeed being Smash Ultimate Deluxe of some sort, where someone else handles new content (same basic game but a handful of new characters, stages, some new modes and MAYBE new single player campaign or so), with Sakurai just keeping an eye on it.

It does create a situation where this becomes a distinct possibility, whatever such a project ends up being in the end. As someone looking at development times, the past nine years of Smash Bros. production, the future and his current point in life, as well as a desire for his remaining time to not be consumed entirely by the game development, it's possible he might seek to train curators for the future, rather than take on the full responsibility.

And, given all that, it's worth noting he doesn't even have to come back for further entries (despite the guaranteed paycheck); he can absolutely decline, though I suspect he'd want to ensure it's in good hands going forward.

Yeah, I could see him taking a more hands-off approach, which could theoretically lead to ah something more akin to a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Super release -- again, whatever that might end up being in the end. Alternatively, he might want to see what prospective replacements might create from scratch, but that could also be more intensive overall, though at a smaller scale.

I heavily doubt he is retiring as he literally announced himself that his next game is TBA.

Probably just a mistranslation as it is too often the case.

Given what we know about his workaholic nature, I still have to wonder if 'semi-retired' is basically what anyone else would call full time work.

The man's a genius for sure, but damn, he deserves a break.

If Sakurai just ports smash ultimate with DLC on Drake, does native 4k, and maybe add tour mode from Wii u smash, I would be more than happy.
And Pokefloats, dammit!

Smash can just be a live service game that they add paid characters and stages to over time, and I'd be fine with that, for real.

hxY2OHk.jpg

I had doubt about the live service model seeing how Multiversus has fell off pretty hard in popularity.
I get that, but Smash is a whole different beast in comparison. I don't think it would have the player population problem Multiversus does for a number of reasons.

I sincerely hope that Smash never becomes an always-online live service game that will inevitably be shut down someday as what happens with all games like that. I don’t understand why anyone would actively hope for that to happen.

(he does smash 6 anyway)

I sincerely hope that Smash never becomes an always-online live service game that will inevitably be shut down someday as what happens with all games like that. I don’t understand why anyone would actively hope for that to happen.
I think what people really want is a hardware-agnostic (available on Switch, Switch 2, Switch 3...) base game, with DLC packs (adding new characters, stages, and modes) planned for the long-term -- let's say, 20 years.

That's "Smash as a Service". Instead of reinventing the wheel, iterate on Ultimate. Nobody literally wants a live-service always-online game.

I think what people really want is a hardware-agnostic (available on Switch, Switch 2, Switch 3...) base game, with DLC packs (adding new characters, stages, and modes) planned for the long-term -- let's say, 20 years.

That's "Smash as a Service". Instead of reinventing the wheel, iterate on Ultimate. Nobody literally wants a live-service always-online game.
That could be cool if done right, but I don’t think it’s very realistic, unfortunately. Maybe if Nintendo was mostly just focused on Smash, but that’s not the case; Smash is just one of many, many products that Nintendo releases, and I don’t see them dropping a bunch of other stuff to work on Smash endlessly. They won’t even do it for Splatoon or Animal Crossing, after all!

Back
Top Bottom