• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

StarTopic Marvel Cinematic Universe |ST| The Eternal Universe

Falcatops

Así es la weá
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Spidey Far From Home
Spidey No Way Home
WandaVision
Loki

(Events in Loki, WandaVision, and No Way Home lead directly to Strange, and Far From Home is necessary to understand No Way Home)
Thanks a lot! So is it safe to skip Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Black Widow movie? I don’t know if there’s anything else.

Also, do you recommend watching them in that order?

chocolate_supra

Must proceed at a high velocity #TeamDecade
Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Thanks a lot! So is it safe to skip Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Black Widow movie? I don’t know if there’s anything else.

Also, do you recommend watching them in that order?
Those are indeed safe to skip for Strange (however, Shang-Chi rocks so don't bail on it entirely)

As far as the order: FFM deals with the immediate fallout of Endgame so if you're coming off of Endgame then that's the one to start with.
WandaVision and Loki don't have an order that matters much, they just set up the existence of certain plot points and characters that are very important in Strange 2.
NWH draws Dr Strange into the multiverse stuff, so it makes sense to have it come immediately before you see Strange 2.

So basically, the Spidey movies should be the bookends, and then Loki and WandaVision can go in either order in the middle.

Falcatops

Así es la weá
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Those are indeed safe to skip for Strange (however, Shang-Chi rocks so don't bail on it entirely)

As far as the order: FFM deals with the immediate fallout of Endgame so if you're coming off of Endgame then that's the one to start with.
WandaVision and Loki don't have an order that matters much, they just set up the existence of certain plot points and characters that are very important in Strange 2.
NWH draws Dr Strange into the multiverse stuff, so it makes sense to have it come immediately before you see Strange 2.

So basically, the Spidey movies should be the bookends, and then Loki and WandaVision can go in either order in the middle.
Thanks again!

Clov

Welcome to the True Bean's World
Pronouns
She/They
(and Far From Home is necessary to understand No Way Home)

Definitely gonna disagree with this. No Way Home is the only MCU Spiderman film I've seen (had to watch it for Gobby) and I understood it just fine. It even recaps what seemed to be the ending of the last film right at the beginning of it!

It's much more important to watch the Raimi Spiderman films going into No Way Home; at least the first one, since Green Goblin is the primary antagonist. There's also the Amazing Spiderman movies, but I haven't seen them and they look bad, so those can't be too important.

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Definitely gonna disagree with this. No Way Home is the only MCU Spiderman film I've seen (had to watch it for Gobby) and I understood it just fine. It even recaps what seemed to be the ending of the last film right at the beginning of it!

It's much more important to watch the Raimi Spiderman films going into No Way Home; at least the first one, since Green Goblin is the primary antagonist. There's also the Amazing Spiderman movies, but I haven't seen them and they look bad, so those can't be too important.
Well, yeah I suppose the bit at the beginning of NWH provides context for the motivation of Peter in the film. But there's also the relationship arc in FFH that would be missed, but.. yeah I guess that can be easily covered by just saying oh yeah and MJ finds out about Peter being Spiderman and they fall I love which can be sorta gleaned by watching NWH.

Other than all that, @Falcatops have you seen the Raimi Spiderman films? The series with Green Goblin and Doc Ock?

Josh5890

Kremling
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Went back to the theaters for a second viewing of Dr Strange. I still enjoyed it, but I noticed that it was a little longer than necessary in some parts. Overall, I'd put it on the same level with the rest of phase 4, minus Far From Home of course.

Phase 4 is just a really slow burn in a post Thanos world.

King Kingo

Rattata
Moon Knight has been my favourite Disney+ series so far.

The fact that The Scarlet Scarab is a hero in the MCU is crazy to think about, that's the most obscure Marvel character adapted to date!

Clov

Pronouns
She/They
Watched Morbius while drinking two nights ago! Thought I'd post my impressions here since this thread has been bumped.

The Good:
  • The post-credits scene is extremely funny
  • It's only like an hour and a half before the credits
  • The CG when they Morb is very funny

The Bad:
  • The movie is uninteresting and has a dull cast
  • Jared Leto and Dr Who are terrible actors. One of the big reasons the Venom movies succeed are because Tom Hardy goes the extra mile and delivers a greasy, unhinged performance that perfectly suits the source material. Neither of them get anywhere close to this level
  • Yet another Marvel film that ends with a CG fight against someone who has the same powers as the hero
  • The echolocation power looks gross

Overall, it's a very bad film that's completely lacking the charm the two Venom films have. Not the absolute worst movie I've seen by any means; I'd put it on par with other MCU films I really dislike like Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and GotG2. Now we just have to wait a few years until the Sinister Six movie releases for him to say the "Morbin' time" line!

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Now we just have to wait a few years until the Sinister Six movie releases for him to say the "Morbin' time" line!
I wonder if Sony will Snakes-on-a-Plane this and go "well if the internet wants it..." 🤣

Clov

Pronouns
She/They
I wonder if Sony will Snakes-on-a-Plane this and go "well if the internet wants it..." 🤣

They definitely will! Look at Venom 2 compared to the first one; they doubled down on the really goofy parts that the marketing of the original didn't focus on at all. People unexpectedly liked the silliness of it, so they made the sequel even wackier. I don't think Morbius was successful enough to get an outright sequel (part of which is bad word of mouth, but the other part is the lack of recognition compared to Venom), but he's definitely being set up to be a Sinister Six member... and I'm expecting them to go full meme with him.

Appelsider

OvO/ ✨
Pronouns
She/Her
Ms. Marvel's first episode is out!
I absolutely loved it! It looked so creative and colorful, I'm definitely on board now!
Felt good seeing representation 🥺👍🏽

Clov

Pronouns
She/They
So I watched the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot recently. It might actually be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's just so dark; both in terms of its tone, and quite literally that it's really difficult to see things at times. Even outdoors it constantly looks overcast. Absolutely miserable film. A Fantastic Four film should be goofy! The earlier Fox films were better in terms of tone, despite also being bad films.

Ranking the films:

1) The Fantastic Four (1994)
2) Fantastic Four (2005)
3) Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
4) Fantastic Four (2015)

All of these I would give 1/5 stars, except for Fantastic Four 2015, which I'd give half a star. Honestly, Rise of the Silver Surfer is pretty close to going below 1 star as well. The most disappointing one is the 1994 one, which has some wonderful moments but is ultimately just super boring. It had the most potential to be a fun time but squanders it!

I am all ready to see the MCU Fantastic Four now, and I have no expectation it will be any better than these. Fantastic Four is a cursed franchise.

NabiscoFelt

CrossCode superfan
Pronouns
he/him
FamiGold
Ok Ms Marvel's first episode was really good, probably the best out of the Marvel Disney+ premiere episodes. Did a nice job of establishing the setting, characters, and vibe. Love the stylistic elements they've added, really helps the show standout.

But the thing I'm most impressed by is how they absolutely nailed the cultural elements. As a Muslim who grew up in America (Indian, not Pakistani, but from a cultural perspective the difference is pretty minimal) it really impressed me how much they just nailed basically every element. Bad dad jokes, disappointed parents, auntie gossip, language was all on point, hell, even the accents were pretty much perfect for a family that seems to have been in the US for as long as Kamala's has. They included the prayer before eating. They nailed that exact feeling of mixed embarrassment and sadness when you break your somewhat overbearing but ultimately caring parents' hearts (ok yeah that one hit a bit close to home). They had Azhar Usman, which is a cut I feel like only the Muslim American audience is even going to comprehend

I mean, I was expecting this to nail some of the elements since the most of the production team is Muslim but man they just absolutely killed it here.

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Second Ms. Marvel episode is real good.

Its been a perfect translation of the comics to the MCU, it’s awesome, I really hope they can keep this up.

Btw, I don’t know how Haley Finn does it, but she perfectly casted Kamala’s parents and Aamir. Especially the latter, he’s a loveable doofus like in the books. Nakia has been great too, the way she guilt tripped Kamala’s dad for the Mosque board was hilarious 😂

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Alright I'm a little late to the party but I'm ready to go higher, further, faster baby!!
yes I know that's the other Marvel but I think Kamala would appreciate me using it for her

Ms. Marvel Episode 1 thoughts:
  • I figured they got that Weeknd song just for the trailer, didn't expect it for the show! God I love this song
  • Oh wow this is immediately the best Marvel intro ever
  • SCOTT HAS A PODCAST???
  • "She, like, she punched Thanos right in the face!" LOL ❤️
  • So I know a lot of people said the events of Infinity War and Endgame needed a recap from Ant-Man's buddy, but I think Kamala's recap is better, in a way. Sorry Luis
  • That getting-in-the-car scene with the mirror and the shades... how is this kid so fuckin rad?
  • Okay but that title card tho
  • That PE teacher is just as shitty as I remember PE teachers being
  • Is that the first mention of Smash Bros in the MCU?
  • "Steampunk is dead" okay I don't like her anymore
  • You can tell that bangle is the macguffin because the music did the sparkly magic thing
  • Oh cute, the dude is a little Stark without the problematic personality!!
  • "You trust me, right?" "No." Goddamn
  • My family used to get mad at my watching figure skating because of the "tight suits." I know this pain.
  • This might be one of the most visually interesting MCU projects so far, good lord
  • I understand why Kamala would have a poster of Carol Danvers but like... why do posters of Carol Danvers exist in the MCU? Based on her exploits in her own movie (in the 90s, no widespread cameras) and Endgame (not on Earth except for a tiny spec of time to, like, punch Thanos right in the face), how do Earthlings even know what she looks like? There was not media coverage at the battle at the Avengers compound. I confused.
  • Anyway
  • eww I hate beans
  • "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"
  • Called it, he's a Stark stan
  • * Assassin's Creed hawk sound effect *
  • "You're welcome, America" jesus christ I can't believe they did that wtffffffff 😂🤣😂🤣😂
  • THIS BITCH sorry these are children
  • Oh wait, he's a Banner Stan irl. Okay.
  • How did that hammer impact alone not kill her???
  • And the credits sequence is also awesome. Of course.

I see a lot of talk around (including from my own friends) ranging from apathy to trash about post-Endgame MCU but I gotta say I'm loving what they're doing. Without the constant march forward of the Infinity Stones plot it feels nice to actually go back to having some character pieces, like in the beginning of the MCU. Absolutely loving this series so far. ❤️

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Catching up!!

Ms. Marvel Episode 2 thoughts:
  • I just noticed in the recap that her mom gave the bangle a look. She knows what it is, doesn't she?
  • THAT FUCKIN ENTRANCE ❤️
  • "And we both look younger than we are" 🤣 These writers love Rudd, dont they?
  • Zoe describing that rescue like Cecily Strong in one of those SNL alien abduction skits
  • WAIT WAS HE PLAYING SUPER LUCKY'S TALE????
  • Of course he's got an english accent
  • Of course he drives a new Porsche
  • OMG KAMALA WASNT THE FIRST SUPERHERO IN THE FAMILY AND MOM KNOWS
  • Omg dad's face while Nakia is giving her pitch 🤣😂🤣😂
  • Wait did she just have her suit stashed at that event?
  • I know this kid-hanging-off-the-building scene is supposed to be really suspenseful but I'm just trying to see what those cars are down below
  • aaaaaand POSE
  • ow
  • ow
  • ow
  • ow
  • dented car roof
  • OH ITS A Z32 300ZX!! one of my favorites
  • They look shocked that she's gone like they didn't just watch a really big Porsche speed up, stop, and speed off
  • who dis
Goddamn I'm loving this show. I hope other Marvel properties get gutsy with the cinematography like this. Alright yall, I'm gonna go enjoy a nice plate.. or bowl.. of ice cream pizza.

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
Catching up moar!!!

Ms. Marvel Episode 3 thoughts:
  • eww, dubs instead of subs? c'mon marvel
  • So what's the deal, like the whole family has latent powers that the bangle unlocks? 🤔
  • Also I have a weird feeling that the bangle is gonna be related to Shang-Chi's ten rings somehow
  • Oh they're from another dimension, okay. 🤨
  • "This kid's 17" "oh that's a relief" 🤣
  • Lore drop before the title card, damn Marvel 🤘
  • "And tonic?" 🤣
  • Dr Selvig name drop!!
  • I also have an unhealthy love of convenience store baked pies (though I prefer the chocolate)
  • So she needs the power of the sun? While she's wearing an Iron Man t-shirt. 👀
  • "Carol Danvers would punch a hole in space to help!" no honey you're thinking of America Chavez
  • I can tell from the camera angle that she is the baddie
  • YESSS DANCE SCENE
  • Omg they're Jurassic Park'ing
  • There's the embiggening!!!
  • Wait am I watching a martial arts fight between a belt and a pocketwatch? Where's Jackie?
  • Wouldn't be a Marvel series without some globetrotting
I enjoyed Moon Knight while I was watching it but now by comparison I have decided it was only okay. No offense to Oscar Isaac.

chocolate_supra

Pronouns
He/Him
FamiGold
I'm watching this show alone, aren't I? 😅

Ms. Marvel Episode 4 thoughts:
  • PUPPY!!!!
  • Okay finally subs. The weeb in me is satisfied
  • "It's just genetics!" 🤣😂🤣😂🤣 Casual af
  • Again, these people must really love Rudd
  • NINJAS
  • Yesssss let the sass fly!! (also nice Canada shoutout for Iman)
  • LOL Donkey Kong shoutout, that's the second Nintendo reference in this series (that I caught at least)
  • Did he just thigh-squeeze that dude to death through his helmet?
  • She... gave the Red Daggers her.. cell number?
  • Wait he insinuated they aren't a boyband tho
  • As a fan of Ong-Bak, I say yes to all tuk tuk chase scenes
  • OMG THE OLD SILVER TOYOTA CORONA!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️
  • LOLOLOLOL FUCK SHE HIT THE FANCY BELT GUY WITH A DAMN TRUCK 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Dardan Sandiego

Dill Spowser‘s nephew
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
I'm watching this show alone, aren't I? 😅

My girlfriend and I have watched eps 1-3 so far but won’t have time to watch the fourth ep until the weekend.

We’re both enjoying it, mostly for the non-hero stuff. I didn’t grow up very religious and I’m also not Pakistani but it’d would have been wild to little me to see this kind of Muslim representation in a mainstream Disney show. I want them to delve a little deeper into all of that, the question of minority identities, the role of family, genrational trauma etc. but I’m afraid that it will turn into a punch fest by the end of the seasons.

Top Bottom