• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: cinematic launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer felt more like it was explaining the core concept of Mario + Rabbids instead of showing how this game differs from the first. But I think we'll get more of that tomorrow so not too worried on that front

Trailer felt more like it was explaining the core concept of Mario + Rabbids instead of showing how this game differs from the first. But I think we'll get more of that tomorrow so not too worried on that front
Yeah I didn’t see anything new except you can run around freely. The Sparks should be summons and I want to see more of the worlds.

Funny you say this because Galaxy is the game that made me a Nintendo fan again in 2012 after not owning one of their consoles for 12 years.
So I really have this nostalgic feeling when hearing this. Really helped me out of a deep depression back then. What a masterpiece.

I have the same connection to Galaxy for the exact same reasons. 🙂

the new battle systems looks like a lot of fun, i'm glad they came up with something new instead of just a regular sequel with the same battle system.

Rabbid Peach is such an icon and Rabbid Rosalina is such a mood.

I am so excited for tomorrow's show!

Hopefully it's just an off brand Treehouse with lots to pick over, I've been missing those streams badly this year.

When I'm reminded how the most interesting Mario RPGs in the last few years, including having a slew of endearing OCs, have come from the house of Ubi. Me from a decade ago, or even just five, couldn't perceive such a thing!

And again, they know that Playable Bowser automatically qualifies you for top-tier Mario RPG status. Wise decision.

I'm hoping that we see some more playable characters. I'd love to have Rosalina and Wario playable.

Rabbid Rosalina is just all kinds of amazing in how bored she looks the entire time.

You know i love they are adding mario Enemies as i do not recall any in the first game but seeing Goombas and Bobombs was great

Yeah I didn’t see anything new except you can run around freely. The Sparks should be summons and I want to see more of the worlds.
Random encounters is a huge change, probably the biggest we’ll see in the game. Should drastically improve the level design of the overworld, which was a weak point in the first game.

I dunno but I feel today's trailer showed a ton of differences between the games:
  • Random encounters completely changes exploration.
  • Free movement instead of tile-based movement.
  • Some "real-time" elements like the Bob-omb.
  • Using the robot for hovering when team jumping.
It's obviously the same style of gameplay but it has a ton of changes that should make them play very differently.

I have a feeling the new free-movement combat system is going to suck all of the challenge out of the game. Hope I'm wrong.
Guess we will see how the time element for it works. Might push it to more of a “real time” turn based type of game (I know those don’t make sense together but I think you’ll get what I’m saying). I’m sure there will be strict limits on your radius of travel that help balance it out as well.

Guess we will see how the time element for it works. Might push it to more of a “real time” turn based type of game (I know those don’t make sense together but I think you’ll get what I’m saying). I’m sure there will be strict limits on your radius of travel that help balance it out as well.
I saw a radius limit but they didn't mention any time limit for a turn, which would really stink for other reasons IMO.

I saw a radius limit but they didn't mention any time limit for a turn, which would really stink for other reasons IMO.
Yeah. I guess time might not work if you have to plan routes to multiple enemies. At least tomorrow we get to see more details.

What had me a bit worried about this trailer was that rather than being presented as levels, battles seem to be triggered by touching foes scattered around the overworld.

Presenting battles as levels allowed developers to really craft each battlefield, and at first the "touch foes to start battles" approach doesn't seem to allow for that same degree of craft.

Then again, maybe foes aren't randomly scattered, but programmed to appear in areas that are designed to support battles. We'll see!

What had me a bit worried about this trailer was that rather than being presented as levels, battles seem to be triggered by touching foes scattered around the overworld.

Presenting battles as levels allowed developers to really craft each battlefield, and at first the "touch foes to start battles" approach doesn't seem to allow for that same degree of craft.

Then again, maybe foes aren't randomly scattered, but programmed to appear in areas that are designed to support battles. We'll see!

I also prefer carefully crafted levels, BUT or May be what you said. I don’t think they are randomly scattered but the single levels are seamlessly combined within the world map.

The E-shop page for this game says it estimates 7.1 Gigs of space needed for a digital download.

In comparison, the first Mario + Rabbids was 2.9 gigs for the base game.

This is my third most anticipated game after BotW2 and XB3 but that trailer was just bad. It barely showed anything we didn't already know and I came away with more questions than answers. Really hoping they dive in deep tomorrow.

Touching a foe teleports you to a separate battle zone, battle zones aren't on the overworld like they were in the first game

Which on one hand is a bit of a shame since that was a neat element of the first but it frees a lot of design space for both overworld and battle zone design. Though I'm sure there'll be liberal reuse of zones themselves in a given region but with different enemy placements

I have the same connection to Galaxy for the exact same reasons. 🙂
That's nice to hear. :) Galaxy (and 2) was such a magical journey the first time I played it. Unforgettable experience.

I never really got into the first one, I think dropped it somewhere half way trough. The problem was more the gameplay, more like the progression. I otherwise like turn based games but it didn‘t felt right to me. Anyway I like the humor and vibe of the game and if there wasn‘t Luigi Mansion 3, it would be the Mario Game with the best animation quality. The sequel looks great and visually very varied, I‘m just not sure about the gameplay.

That was one of the worst trailers I've ever seen in a direct lol. The narration made it seem like a game solely for little kids.

Can't wait for the showcase, I trust Ubisoft more with promoting this lol
the reception has been very positive, so it works

That was one of the worst trailers I've ever seen in a direct lol. The narration made it seem like a game solely for little kids.

Can't wait for the showcase, I trust Ubisoft more with promoting this lol
I take it you forgot some of the marketing Ubisoft did themselves for the original.

Oooh NPCs!

Beepo flying in the air above the characters bothers me when the camera is behind

Rabbid Rosalina has her storybook and uses it to put enemies to sleep with a bedtime story ala Jigglypuff, love it

This is much less Mario Galaxy than I was hoping and thinking lol

come on space footage.. please!
I'm hoping for more as well, I already love the luma rabbids and star bits, but am really hoping for some galaxy music from Grant Kirkhope

They're probably hiding it on purpose. That's where the final battle will be.
Well we still haven't seen the hub or connecting bits between these planets, which is what I was referring to

EDIT: ooh there's a glimpse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom