• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

Pre-Release Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope — Pre-release Discussion Thread

manfromthedam

Semi Undercover Game Music Guy
Was hoping for some more straight-on gameplay, but nonetheless it looks like an interesting evolution from the original that my son will probably want me to play for him again =P . Glad that combat is more freeform - I hope that it has a little more flow compared to the original!

Music nerd time: couldn't hear much of it with all that narration, but yeah: it surely sounds like kirkhope.exe :p . I know that people have a soft spot for his work but to me 80% of it sounds interchangeable. From the original only the Midboss, Phantom and Castle music spring to mind as being memorable. Also a lot of it has that "direct MIDI export from notation software" sound - except for the live orchestrations of course.

Both Coker and Shimomura are fantastic composers and make great MIDI mockups, so I'm curious how they'll combine the three styles. Coker has a much more lush and "cinematic" style with a completely different character than Kirkhope. Some of Shimomura's piano-led goodness could be heard at a certain point in the trailer already which was cool.

Personally I hope that all three composers contributed a similar amount of tracks, but with the emphasis on Kirkhope's work in these trailers so far makes me think they might save the other two for special occasions only.

jnWake

i have 50 characters and i'll use them, all of 'em
I'm curious if this game will let you undo actions easily like in the first one. The footage makes me think once you start moving you fully commit to your actions and can't really go back if you realized you messed up.

Original by Gareth Coker, remix done by Yoko Shimomura

Original by Grant Kirkhope, remix done by Yoko Shimomura

And now they are all working together!!

MetalLord

Moblin
uiaxtkx.png

wtf he must be joking

winstein

Shriekbat
uiaxtkx.png

wtf he must be joking
That video made it seem like Mario teaming up with Bowser is unprecedented, which I find to be absurd when every single Mario RPG series have at least one game where that happened. In fact, if he said that and it turned out to be Donkey Kong, that would be unexpected because as far as I know, Mario never really teamed up with Donkey Kong in this capacity (the first Mario+Rabbids game confined Donkey Kong to a separate campaign).

Thank you for reading.

Earthbounder

Boing!
Pronouns
He/Him
That's just a way to sell the Mario and Bowser partnership to a more general audience, one that hasn't played the Mario RPGs where they join forces.

winstein

Shriekbat
That's just a way to sell the Mario and Bowser partnership to a more general audience, one that hasn't played the Mario RPGs where they join forces.

Paper Mario: The Origami King (2020) is the most recent game where Mario and Bowser joined forces, though for that game in particular, it happened late (I don't know if this was known before the game was released; I got the impression that it was assumed that they join forces for most of the games before it was released).

I do understand what you meant and what they are going for, though. Maybe when it happens again in a future game, they will call the partnership "unexpected" yet again, assuming that the audiences forget the last time it happened. That is unless a Super Mario platformer got them teaming up, in which case it will end the "unexpected partnership" marketing point once and for all.

Thank you for reading.

xaszatm

Cappy
Kinda wish there were more NPCs other than Rabbids.

But they’re probably doing what they can given the Mario Quality Control™ team
I don't know, they've kind of stretched the idea of Rabbids to the point where I don't really recognize most of them as rabbids. It feels more like the BeanBean kingdom where we just have an entire race around a concept.

ILikeFeet

Pikmin
I don't know, they've kind of stretched the idea of Rabbids to the point where I don't really recognize most of them as rabbids. It feels more like the BeanBean kingdom where we just have an entire race around a concept.
aye. then again, there's only so far you can push the screaming rabbids

remember, rabbids used to be just this

Pronouns
He/him/his
The first game was my #2 game of 2017, right behind Odyssey and in front of Zero Dawn. I might switch it and Zero Dawn on any given day, but this sequel has a fairly clear path to being my #1.

I love Western SRPGs, but I especially love this Western SRPG, which as @totofogo noted shouldn't really exist. A colorful SRPG set in the Mario universe is like a fever dream. Its existence is why I believed the F-Zero x StarFox false leak.

The big thing for me is that Ubi Milan figured out how to make the overworld stuff more engaging. I enjoyed the idea of searching for items, and seeing the weird landscape markers was neat, but I didn't find the puzzles particularly engaging. By the third world of the OG game, I was ready for a different approach to the overworld.

I have total confidence that the actual tactical battles will be great and that they'll build on them in interesting ways. It's the overworld stuff that needs significant work.

NabiscoFelt

CrossCode superfan
Pronouns
he/him
FamiGold
Hm, I wonder if this'll be all of them or if there's a couple more to be found. I think we haven't hit the same number of effects (or the same effects) as the first game, and it seems like this is where those effects will be placed. So I'd guess there might be more.

Also wonder how these will work in practice. Will they have their own progression or just a simple, fixed set of passive and active abilities?

Hm, I wonder if this'll be all of them or if there's a couple more to be found. I think we haven't hit the same number of effects (or the same effects) as the first game, and it seems like this is where those effects will be placed. So I'd guess there might be more.

Also wonder how these will work in practice. Will they have their own progression or just a simple, fixed set of passive and active abilities?
The developers implied that there are more Sparks than the ones you see in the trailer(which inclues two of them like the Baby Luma version and an ice version of Pyrogeddon that isn't named or mentioned at all in these tweets).

Edit: I almost forgot about the violet colored Spark the characters come across in the snow-like planet(which clearly isn't Vampdash cause that Spark is more of a normal purple and it's riding a leaf).

OP
OP
mazi

mazi

picross pundit

from the comments:
Key points:
  • Any 2 sparks can be equipped to a character! They can provide a technique, an added effect to your dash/attack, and/or protection from a super effect.
  • Each planet will have some kind of mission involving its warden that's needed to complete to achieve peace in that area

Top Bottom