• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: cinematic launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davide once said that the Rayman/Rabbids are two separate universes that don't really coincide with each other. In fact that's been the case since the early 2010s.
I mean, this is a crossover with Mario. Universes are already being crossed. This game in particular is about traveling to other worlds. A crossover with Rayman wouldn't get in the way of that statement.

I mean, this is a crossover with Mario. Universes are already being crossed. This game in particular is about traveling to other worlds. A crossover with Rayman wouldn't get in the way of that statement.
That was said by Davide himself during one of the 2017 interviews for Kingdom Battle. Unless Ubisoft has changed their stance, I imagine that still applies.

That was said by Davide himself during one of the 2017 interviews for Kingdom Battle. Unless Ubisoft has changed their stance, I imagine that still applies.
I mean, if they are teasing Rayman now, it would clearly mean that stance has changed

I'm not really sure they are teasing Rayman, but it's pretty natural to imagine that they'd change up a policy to include him in this game given the success of Kingdom Battle.

I mean, if they are teasing Rayman now, it would clearly mean that stance has changed

I'm not really sure they are teasing Rayman, but it's pretty natural to imagine that they'd change up a policy to include him in this game given the success of Kingdom Battle.
Okay, but why do you think it's anything related to Sparks of Hope? Or the DLC for it? I'm not trying to be asshole with these questions, I'm just genuinely curious. For all you know this could be a new spin off if not a mobile game.

Last edited:
Okay, but why do you think it's anything related to Sparks of Hope? Or the DLC for it? I'm not trying to be asshole with these questions, I'm just genuinely curious. For all you know this could be a new spin off if not a mobile game.
For more context for the tweet above.

And I want to say something about Grant. I believe that Grant, even if he's really stubborn [laughs], he evolved incredibly in terms of musical composition from Kingdom Battle to Sparks of Hope. I think in Sparks of Hope, he wrote masterpieces.
The amount of praise towards the soundtrack alone has me incredibly pumped.

Weird to use their Nintendo collab and unlimited character options to finally bring Rayman back out when they can do that… whenever… but I’ll take it!

Weird to use their Nintendo collab and unlimited character options to finally bring Rayman back out when they can do that… whenever… but I’ll take it!
Isn't this game supposed to get three expansions? I'm assuming Donkey Kong is one and maybe regular Rosalina is the other?

I could be wrong, but unlike the Donkey Kong Adventure DLC, it seems like Mario and Crew will also be apart of this. It just that whatever story they have, Rayman will be centered around it.

I am legit happy to see Rayman back, hopefully there is a chance for a new game 2D or 3D.

Rayman is cool and all but Bowser being the only Nintendo character they added between the new game and its DLC blows.

I wonder if Rayman will appear alongside the Mario characters. The trailer shows him only with the Rabbids, and the previous DK DLC was very careful never to show DK interacting with Mario & co. (even saying DK Island was part of "another world", IIRC).

I wonder if Rayman will appear alongside the Mario characters. The trailer shows him only with the Rabbids, and the previous DK DLC was very careful never to show DK interacting with Mario & co. (even saying DK Island was part of "another world", IIRC).

The wording of the announcement tweet carefully says its Rayman on a new adventure with the Rabbids, so I wouldn't expect the Mario crew to be in the DLC party right now.

It's nice to see the roster expand but it's a bit of a bummer they, so far at least, don't seem to care about adding Rayman himself. Would be cool.
Wouldn't really make sense. He's not a Rabbid.
If he was in the game, I don't think people would be scratching their heads as to how Rayman could possibly show up in a Rabbid crossover.
I would. I'd rather have so many other Mario characters. Let Rayman stay dead.
li.gif

The last one looks really good but I prefer how Sparks of Hope looks. Kingdom Battle had a very blocky feel to it but the environments in Sparks of Hope look more natural, which I prefer - the art design also looks stronger.
I agree. I think KB was trying to stick to the corrupted Mario style, but now SoH is getting a style of its own.

The combat system looks amazing.
Yes and I can't believe it's wasted on damn Rabbids. Davide should have Smash Bros franchise to use the combat system upon. All those crossover characters in a turn based strategy game....

But we're stuck with Rabbids and the base game doesn't even have Yoshi. I'm still bitter about that fact.

Isn't this game supposed to get three expansions? I'm assuming Donkey Kong is one and maybe regular Rosalina is the other?

oh for real? That’s news to me!

Reading over the store pages I’m not so sure this is the case. The Season Pass listings mention 3 DLC packs but only 1 new playable character.

The first game had 2 packs and followed the “mini update, major update” Nintendo approach where the first one was just challenge / co-op maps, so I’d expect the same here.

Reading over the store pages I’m not so sure this is the case. The Season Pass listings mention 3 DLC packs but only 1 new playable character.

The first game had 2 packs and followed the “mini update, major update” Nintendo approach where the first one was just challenge / co-op maps, so I’d expect the same here.

Yeah, first 2 updates will probably be challenge maps and stuff. The Rayman story DLC is gonna be the big one.

I don't care for the Rabbids so I don't plan to play the game, but I'm really happy to see Rayman in a new game. I hope this is synergy for a new Rayman game.

The production values on this game are insane

We got a bit more information about the mechanics here. To make a note of some of the more obvious things

• You can use the Robot Roomba thing (Beep-0, I think) to uncover secrets in the environment, like hidden paths
  • There's a dedicated leveling system now, which I don't think was present in the first game? Hopefully it doesn't mess with difficulty since there's an implied degree of openness to the game. Also, doesn't seem like there's different weapons in the game, just different skins. The different weapon affects seem to be isolated to Sparks
  • In general, the Sparks seem to be the key mechanic of the game. Each character has access to 4 abilities like the first game, but instead of a weapon, sub weapon, and two character abilities, in this game each character has 1 weapon, one character ability, and 2 Spark abilities. With "dozens" of Sparks, this should provide a nice amount of variety in kitting out characters
  • Items are a thing. We don't really know how they work, but they've been mentioned before and have a tab on the pre battle menu. If I had to guess, they're probably a limited use special effect of some sort
  • Each character still seems to have unique movement options, like Mario being able to stomp on enemies and Bowser having an AoE damage landing after a team jump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom