• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Tomorrow night millions of innocent Switch users will get Coconut Mall'd
What time is it expected to drop exactly? I'm very curious what the file size of the update is going to be. I know the DLC pre-load is incredibly small, which makes sense as the bulk of the assets need to be in a patch to the game since non-owners need the assets to be able to play the tracks online.

Maybe the dlc stages could look a little better (Ribbon road in the base game still stuns me with how good it looks) but I'm just grateful we are getting new courses. The amount of people whining about the visuals is crazy. Nintendo is literally doubling the size of the game when Imo it would have been totally justified doing absolutely nothing until they make the next mario kart on switch 2.
Well, it's not a gift, it's a paid expansion.

I don't particularly mind the graphics though, looks fine to me.

2 DAYS LEFT
BXv6SO1.gif

Coconut mall.
So many nightmares coming back.
Nightmares?

Everyone is so excited by this. I think it's a fine level and one of the more memorable ones from the Wii. I'm enthused to play it. I don't get why everything thinks its so awesome. Or why there might be nightmares.

If I know anything about online lobbies, a bunch of Waluigis on Wigglers will know the optimal path day 1 and will never ever deviate from it.

All layouts are accessible at once, technically this could make a race even shorter since you can cross over different layouts for a super quick time.
That's what I'm worried about.

We've already seen that Sky Garden is scaled up from Tour, right? Maybe they're also scaling up the city courses?
Sky Garden is bigger, sure, but I'm referring to the layouts themselves. What's to keep someone from taking the much shorter layout?

Sky Garden is bigger, sure, but I'm referring to the layouts themselves. What's to keep someone from taking the much shorter layout?
I guess we'll have to wait and see, then. A press release is one thing, but it's hard to know how the multiple routes will work in practice until we play it ourselves.

...or maybe Nintendo just doesn't mind them being short and kinda simple, for better or for worse.

just let people know that we might have one more two more days for this contest to be over.

I'm guessing in Tour not all layout are the same lenght so either they rework it so all path are kind of viable (like in Yoshi Valley) or it's going to be dumb with some path clearly useless.

I'm guessing in Tour not all layout are the same lenght so either they rework it so all path are kind of viable (like in Yoshi Valley) or it's going to be dumb with some path clearly useless.
Aren't most of the Yoshi Valley paths useless anyways? I always just go left.

just let people know that we might have one more two more days for this contest to be over.
I am looking forward to seeing how these picks pan out. I was going to try and participate but I got nasty analysis paralysis and BSOD everytime I tried to game out what could be included for all 6 waves. Mad props to everyone who threw their hats into the ring!

Thanks to this thread I learned that what sounds like a meme - Waluigi on Wiggler - is meta.

Getting 48 new courses may not be worth this knowledge.

Thanks to this thread I learned that what sounds like a meme - Waluigi on Wiggler - is meta.
why would it sound like a meme? everything has a set of stats and whatnot

though in the research videos I've seen, they all say that "git gud" is the best strat (though when everyone is gud, then time to go waluigi)

Quoted by: Tye
The fact that Waluigi and Roy are the meta characters is hilarious to me. Like, of course it's those two lol. Meanwhile I rock my semi-viable Mario and Metal Mario builds, because I love Mario and want to have fun but still have a bit of a competitive edge.

(Give us good color choices and alternative costumes in the next game and maybe I'll go meta. Maybe.)

why would it sound like a meme?
onFiRs1.png

I always assumed that’s why that combo was so popular online, because of the typo-born meme, lol… But apparently it’s just a really good build??

I compared the stats to my main build (medium Mii + Standard Kart + Blue Standard wheels + Hylian Kite), and…yeah, it’s basically just got better stats than my build all around without having much in the way of drawbacks, what gives?? I thought certain builds just having more stats than others wasn’t a thing in the game, but apparently it is… Well that’s disappointing. =/

Last edited:
the map makes some of the routes look completely useless
Yeah, that’s because of Tokyo Blur 4 being included, which is already a mini marathon of the three main routes. I expect the map to look more like this:

Tokyo.png

First left is Tokyo Blur 1; the two splits on the right are Tokyo Blur 2 (upper) and Tokyo Blur 3 (lower).

If they make zero adjustments from Tour, 2 should be the fastest route, but I imagine they’ll be adding boosters to the other two (especially 3) to even things out.

onFiRs1.png

I always assumed that’s why that combo was so popular online, because of the typo-born meme, lol… But apparently it’s just a really good build?? I compared the stats to my main build (medium Mii + Standard Kart + Blue Standard wheels + Hylian Kite), and…yeah, it’s basically just got better stats than my build all around without having much in the way of drawbacks, what gives?? I thought certain builds just having more stats than others wasn’t a thing in the game, but apparently it is… Well that’s lame. =/
Yeah, Mario Kart is not balanced, lol. There's a tool that helps you find more "optimal" builds, and there's a pretty wild point they bring up:
In Mario Kart 8 Deluxe—taking into account characters and parts that share the same stats—there are 8064 unique build combinations. Of those 8064, over half of them (4186) are statistically outclassed by other combinations. In other words: for each of those 4186 combinations, there exists another build with the same or higher values for every stat (speed, acceleration, weight, handling, traction, and all hidden stats,) with at least one stat value that is definitely higher. If you choose to ignore the weight stat, that number increases to 5312.
Using this tool helped me find a build that still let me use the character that I want. As for Medium Mii (which has the same stats as Mario, one of my mains), the build I use comes from a Japanese website discussing MK8D:
  • Pipe Frame/City Tripper/Varmint
  • (Azure) Roller
  • Wario Wing/Plane Glider/Gold Glider
A little slow on the ground, but great mini-turbo stat. I at least have Metal Mario when I want to be more meta, haha.

Yeah, Mario Kart is not balanced, lol. There's a tool that helps you find more "optimal" builds, and there's a pretty wild point they bring up:

Using this tool helped me find a build that still let me use the character that I want. As for Medium Mii (which has the same stats as Mario, one of my mains), the build I use comes from a Japanese website discussing MK8D:
  • (Azure) Roller
A little slow on the ground, but great mini-turbo stat. I at least have Metal Mario when I want to be more meta, haha.
…What the hell, this revelation has me infuriated. ._. Why?? I guess I’ll try that build you suggested, but damn, I’m so disappointed right now, lol. Might even try picking up Tanooki Mario/Villager/Inkling Boy if they happen to have better builds than medium Mii, but I just don’t know what to do at all now… Thanks for the info, though!

• (Azure) Roller
I honestly miss the simplicity of the early games where it was basically 4 character classes and you liked it. Worrying about stats and builds since DS has always been annoying especially if you play multiplayer with people who aren’t familiar with the characters or games in general and get kinda overwhelmed during the setup phase. Which just slows down the whole “hey let’s play Mario Kart for a bit, it’ll be fun I promise” proceedings.

Not to be too grumpy, the customization is a lot of fun. But I wish it was more optional or there was a game mode that just stuck everyone in standard karts so you can introduce additional customization once they’re more familiar with the courses and items.

Or even go back to the DS/DD/Wii customization model where you have pre-defined vehicles that adjust stats way more significantly than the incremental changes the individual components seem to do in 7/8.

…What the hell, this revelation has me infuriated. ._. Why?? I guess I’ll try that build you suggested, but damn, I’m so disappointed right now, lol. Might even try picking up Tanooki Mario/Villager/Inkling Boy if they happen to have better builds than medium Mii, but I just don’t know what to do at all now… Thanks for the info, though!
the stats do make a difference, but how you drive and items will make more of a difference than your stats.

I honestly miss the simplicity of the early games where it was basically 4 character classes and you liked it. Worrying about stats and builds since DS has always been annoying especially if you play multiplayer with people who aren’t familiar with the characters or games in general and get kinda overwhelmed during the setup phase. Which just slows down the whole “hey let’s play Mario Kart for a bit, it’ll be fun I promise” proceedings.

Not to be too grumpy, the customization is a lot of fun. But I wish it was more optional or there was a game mode that just stuck everyone in standard karts so you can introduce additional customization once they’re more familiar with the courses and items.

Or even go back to the DS/DD/Wii customization model where you have pre-defined vehicles that adjust stats way more significantly than the incremental changes the individual components seem to do in 7/8.

Same tbh. I always recommend my friend to pick all the standard parts, as they're balanced instead of going for things they think are pretty but are terrible.

But we always got through:
"So you should probably pick standard everything"
"What's the standard?"
"It says 'standard' there"
"Okay" picks standard bike
"You picked the bike, the standard kart is probably more balanced"
"But you said to pick 'standard'"
Breathes heavily

I am sorry to have burdened you with knowledge. That being said, this is only going to matter at very high skill levels, and also isn't reflective of the Time Trial meta. So like, play with the stuff you like and have fun, this is Mario Kart after all.

It's tricky. The focus on stats in this way is something that sets the franchise apart. I like the customization. But it's less approachable for sure. Maybe the aim is to make it more cosmetic and let the character choice be the big deal? Or yeah, tie them to very specific cars.

Mario Kart's stat system is far from perfect. A lot of information isn't told to players, and the process of making a "good" build can be daunting. I wonder what would be an appropriate middle ground.
Same tbh. I always recommend my friend to pick all the standard parts, as they're balanced instead of going for things they think are pretty but are terrible.

But we always got through:
"So you should probably pick standard everything"
"What's the standard?"
"It says 'standard' there"
"Okay" picks standard bike
"You picked the bike, the standard kart is probably more balanced"
"But you said to pick 'standard'"
Honestly, my better advice for a beginner (though "pick a character and go with the preset parts" is pretty solid too) would be to pick the parts they think look the nicest and go from there. If they care about stats, then they can get the info dump, but if it's casual, whatever.

Truth be told, when I don't feel like customizing, I'll just choose Mario and the standard parts (even if there are builds that literally statistically outclass it but hey, Mario Kart). Vanilla as vanilla comes, but vanilla tastes good.

Though an important thing to leave on - this ain't the only imbalanced Mario Kart. Need I remind us of Mario Kart Wii? Bikes were so much better and bikes, and the meta was basically just Funky Kong. Maybe Daisy if you felt like seeing a middleweight.

I wouldn't worry about it TBH, I don't think there's more of a try-hard thing to do than optimize a Mario Kart build when you're just going to get obliterated by items every race. Just pick a character and kart you like and have fun.

DK / Roy / Waluigi and Wario / Dry Bowsher ending up meta is unexpected because they have the second-lowest stat total among all sixteen weight sub-classes. Just a byproduct of weird kart/bike/tire balance and those driver's particular distribtion working perfectly wtih parts focused on boosting speed, acceleration and handling being the best in the game and all the parts adding weight being the absolute worst.

Great link. I just ran my old MK8(D) sets through the tool and was happy to confirm that my painstakingly crafted spreadsheet back then didn't lead me astray. None of my favorite combinations are outclassed while all of them remain cosmetically highly competitive.

It's tricky. The focus on stats in this way is something that sets the franchise apart. I like the customization. But it's less approachable for sure. Maybe the aim is to make it more cosmetic and let the character choice be the big deal? Or yeah, tie them to very specific cars.

Mario Kart's stat system is far from perfect. A lot of information isn't told to players, and the process of making a "good" build can be daunting. I wonder what would be an appropriate middle ground.
I could see a gradual unlock system where the game unfurls the unlock system, but I think for multiplayer the big gripe I have is that the stats are buried underneath a button press once you get above 2 players. That's just obnoxious, especially if someone new ends up botching their build by picking a character + vehicle that is unruly to control.

Another idea might be that since so many of the parts are clearly designed to be used together, why not just have a bunch of preset configurations people can pick from as a starting point? So there's still customization similar to DD/DS/Wii but you can further refine it by swapping out pieces. Or allow us to save configurations so we can DIY it.

This isn't really related to the accessibility discussion, but I would kill for a random option in each slot just for maximum chaos / "whatever". A lot of the time I don't feel like dealing with the customization min/max problem and will just randomly pick a part and then find two other parts that make it look aesthetically appealing.

I didn’t care much for the lack of customization pre-DS because if you liked a character but didn’t like how they handle, there was nothing you could do about it… At least with customization, you can tweak any character to your liking…though clearly the system can still use some work when there are builds that just inexplicably have better stats than others, lol. Would be nice if stats weren’t tied to cosmetics either, ‘cause there are kart parts that I like the look of visually but I don’t use them because I don’t like their stat distribution.

But at the same time the customization can be kinda stressful, so yeah, I totally get the appeal of simpler (or optional) customization or none at all, too.

the stats do make a difference, but how you drive and items will make more of a difference than your stats.
I am sorry to have burdened you with knowledge. That being said, this is only going to matter at very high skill levels, and also isn't reflective of the Time Trial meta. So like, play with the stuff you like and have fun, this is Mario Kart after all.
I wouldn't worry about it TBH, I don't think there's more of a try-hard thing to do than optimize a Mario Kart build when you're just going to get obliterated by items every race. Just pick a character and kart you like and have fun.
I know, but it’s gonna bug me forever now that I know, haha. Also for awhile now I’ve kinda suspected that my build might just be bad, because sometimes, no matter how well I’m playing, I just seem to fall short… I picked my build specifically to be the most balanced among all stats as I could be, though I guess that’s not exactly the greatest strategy either. =P

Last edited:
I know, but it’s gonna bug me forever now that I know, haha. Also for awhile now I’ve kinda suspected that my build might just be bad, because sometimes, no matter how well I’m playing, I just seem to fall short… I picked my build specifically to be the most balanced among all stats as I could be, though I guess that’s not exactly the greatest strategy either. =P
falling short in time trials or in general races? either one is less due to stats and more due to your racing line/luck. getting the absolute best times require you to damn near fall off the track.

Back
Top Bottom