• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Nabbit warrants a spot for sure. He should make more spinoff appearances in general. It's kinda wild that he maybe Pom Pom are the only characters from the 3DS/Wii U era of Mario to really stick around. Sure you get the enemies here and there, but in terms of prominent roles, it boils down to those two. No more cursory glances at the Green Sprixie Princess, lol.

As for Origami King, it's on my "I really should just buy and play it at some point but I haven't yet" category. Part of it is the fact that I actually watched (and co-commentated) a friend of mine playing the game on Twitch, so I kinda experienced the full game in a sense already. The other is the fact that I want to give an earnest shot to Sticker Star (I tried a decade ago. Maybe time and different expectations will soften things) and Color Splash (I own it but never actually opened it) first. I've been playing a lot of longer games this year, RPG playthroughs and replaythroughs. What's a few adventure games thrown into the mix, I suppose?
I had two serious attempts and tried a few other times that never went anywhere with Sticker Star. Last year I finally sat down thoroughly determined to beat it. The first half of the game is rough, but if you can get out of Wiggler’s dreadful forest I found the back half of the game was clearly what it wanted to be from the start and had a good time. Color Splash is Sticker Star 2, but turns all of its weaknesses into strengths and is great throughout. I loved The Origami King too. Well worth getting to at least Color Splash and Origami King when the time is right :)

Still haven't bought the DLC; tried to play a couple of matches online to see if I could try the new tracks at random.. and the only two times they showed up in the selection, people voted on other tracks and I couldn't play them >:T

I guess the new tracks aren't that popular (at least match-making is very populated and I'm not having that many issues with connections as I used to)

Still haven't bought the DLC; tried to play a couple of matches online to see if I could try the new tracks at random.. and the only two times they showed up in the selection, people voted on other tracks and I couldn't play them >:T

I guess the new tracks aren't that popular (at least match-making is very populated and I'm not having that many issues with connections as I used to)
Unlucky, most of the time when I am playing, the DLC tracks are voted on by almost everybody in the lobby if they are an option.

unknown.png

In these torunaments you can just keep playing and playing to grind points while it lasts, right?

It's not so much a torunament as it is an endurance and free time test lol I won't even try it
Checking the rules, they cap the number of races you can do per day to 24. So you can only get 24 races worth of points each day.

Quoted by: Leo
Treat all of these as sneak peaks for future 8DX content, lol.

I’m really looking forward to all of the new courses, but these city courses are new to me so they are in some ways my most anticipated. Thanks for sharing Amsterdam!

I know we have the banner leak to content ourselves, but Wave 2 is definitely going to be the hardest to wait for after Wave 1. By itself, Wave 1 is a perfect tease since we got a cool update, but not a lot from it. It was 8 new tracks(!), but also only 8 new tracks lol. We also don’t know exactly how long we are waiting, when and how we will get new info, and how it will clear up or complicate our datamine speculation info (ie the ??? courses).

How do y’all think we will hear more info? Will they tell us all eight tracks at once or divide it up? Will it be via Nintendo Direct only or are Twitter drops cool? I wouldn’t mind one track reveal a week, but I think the internet would get upset and tired overall lol.

How do y’all think we will hear more info? Will they tell us all eight tracks at once or divide it up? Will it be via Nintendo Direct only or are Twitter drops cool? I wouldn’t mind one track reveal a week, but I think the internet would get upset and tired overall lol.
I imagine we get all eight courses at once a few weeks before the DLC comes out. Kinda like the initial announcement. Tie it into a Nintendo Direct for an easy prediction/guaranteed interesting moment.

I imagine we get all eight courses at once a few weeks before the DLC comes out. Kinda like the initial announcement. Tie it into a Nintendo Direct for an easy prediction/guaranteed interesting moment.
I’m leaning toward that, but I do think it’s kind of interesting the dates for Directs are February, June, and September typically. The gap between September and February in particular is quite large.

June Direct announcing Wave 2 makes sense. A September Direct announcing Wave 3 seems early.

I’m leaning toward that, but I do think it’s kind of interesting the dates for Directs are February, June, and September typically. The gap between September and February in particular is quite large.

June Direct announcing Wave 2 makes sense. A September Direct announcing Wave 3 seems early.
I think they can get away with airing a trailer off the Direct cycle if they wanted to. Depends on how frequently they want these releases and when they want to pair them in the end. Either way I still think it's a full dump rather than giving us the tracks piecemeal.

I think they can get away with airing a trailer off the Direct cycle if they wanted to. Depends on how frequently they want these releases and when they want to pair them in the end. Either way I still think it's a full dump rather than giving us the tracks piecemeal.
Yeah I was kicking around reveal one cup halfway through the wait and one cup toward the end, but all eight at once with a date probably makes the most sense.

it's labeled as "amsterdam drift" with no number, so it's certainly possible. plenty of spots for them to branch it out and add extra laps, though
The first version of the city tracks have never had a number.

Amsterdam is definitely getting multiple routes, like all the others. Not a lot of the course you can see in the overhead view is actually drivable on (marked in black on the second image below

image_028_0000.jpg
image_029_0000.jpg

but it seems that a HUGE bulk of the track is actually in an underground underwater segment the first variant doesn't cover at all; the first Tour original track with a full-on underwater segment actually (the pools on Singapore Speedway technically count as underwater but you character isn't even fully submerged). Entrance is the part that looks to totally cut off on the above maps.

unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:
It is quite a choice to not prominently feature the canals for an amsterdam track tbh. Underwater section is however quite dutch i guess. Also the church close to the river has very prominent catholic crosses... is this a Nintendo first?

At the same time the layoutof the map is quite true to life.

Left is the North. Going north is also the way to the IRL windmills you see in the track and the station is even situated on the north side of the track (left). Even the ferry is correct. Because there is no bridge over the river, only a ferry and the metro track underground.

Btw. Amsterdam Tour began on 4-20..... that is no coincidence

Here a real pic (north is on top in this one)

Amsterdam-aerial-view-canalsamsterdam-blogamsterdam-travel-blogamsterdam-travel-guide-blogamsterdam-city-guide.jpg

Last edited:

Here’s a video tour of the map too;

Music sounds rough: drums aren't in time, wonky vocals and SUPER MIDI. They'll probably polish it up for 8 because the first booster pack had great music, but I'm a little puzzled why it's in the state it's in for Tour.

On a more positive note it's cool to see Amsterdam in a Nintendo game. Rotterdam WEN? :p

seriously though, Rotterdam has lots of cool spots for an arcade racer because of it's weird architecture

Music sounds rough: drums aren't in time, wonky vocals and SUPER MIDI. They'll probably polish it up for 8 because the first booster pack had great music, but I'm a little puzzled why it's in the state it's in for Tour.
The music will be redone with live instrumentation for 8DX (like most of the tracks in Wave 1); so it'll definitely turn out better there.

Which Wave 1 tracks weren't redone with the band?
All of them technically have some live instrumentation; but Shroom Ridge and Ninja Hideaway predominantly use synth more than the others. Makes sense for those tracks though; and you’ve still got a bit of live brass in the former and taiko and bass in the latter.

All of them technically have some live instrumentation; but Shroom Ridge and Ninja Hideaway predominantly use synth more than the others. Makes sense for those tracks though; and you’ve still got a bit of live brass in the former and taiko and bass in the latter.
Ah thanks! Yeah definitely makes sense for Shroom Ridge and its DS roots. What about Ninja Hideaway do you think the synth suits?

Got the preview for the next Mario Kart Tour...tour. Coconut Mall's finally coming to the game, very much like the Booster Course Pass version as expected.

Some choice looking capsules behind Peach; Dr. Mario's headed to the racetrack? 👀

Here's the Doctor Tour trailer, we can even see the cars at the end of the track are moving near the end of the video.

Oh sweet! Doctors Mario and Luigi! That's really cool to see. The capsule karts are hilarious.

What's less cool? Seeing Nintendo implement the moving car hazard in a mobile game but leaving it out of the big console game. What the heck lol

This month's Nintendo Switch Online icons are themed after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! Scoop em up with your Platinum Points while you can - new icons rotate in every Monday at 9PM ET/6PM PT!

Got the preview for the next Mario Kart Tour...tour. Coconut Mall's finally coming to the game, very much like the Booster Course Pass version as expected.

Some choice looking capsules behind Peach; Dr. Mario's headed to the racetrack? 👀

this is the original version,it was made for tour then ported to booster pass,it only came before due to scheduling,that why its more complete

I’m going to spend a ton of platinum points on icons this month if they are all as good as this first set. Definitely want normal Rosalina and King Boo icons if they come.

I just remembered that the first "unknown" course is supposed to be added in the next wave. I wonder how Nintendo will handle it. Does it come to Tour day one? Does it come later? Or not at all?

Koopa Cape confirmed for Tour (and probably) 8DX!

IMG_9206.png
Really curious and nervous if it’ll be 7’s version or the Wii’s version in regards to the underwater section. I really, really want the Wii version with the closed pipe, fast water, and rotating lightning rods.

Koopa Cape confirmed for Tour (and probably) 8DX!

IMG_9206.png
kronk.gif

...also, more doctors! Neat.
Really curious and nervous if it’ll be 7’s version or the Wii’s version in regards to the underwater section. I really, really want the Wii version with the closed pipe, fast water, and rotating lightning rods.
My gut feeling is that it'll be based on 7's version, for better or for worse. I'd like to be wrong but Tour already takes so much from 7, it'd make sense.

kronk.gif

...also, more doctors! Neat.

My gut feeling is that it'll be based on 7's version, for better or for worse. I'd like to be wrong but Tour already takes so much from 7, it'd make sense.
Yeah I’m probably at 95% it’ll be 7’s version and 5% chance we’ll get the Wii version in 8 Deluxe. I’m praying intensely that my 5% hope will prevail lol.

The alternate versions of coconut mall with the beach and glass bridge sections are so fucking rad,i feel kind of bad for console players

Last edited:
Haha in typical cartoon fashion nothing in that postcard is from Amsterdam :p, but just stereotypical Dutch (I guess many tullips were shipped from it during the 17th century i guess).

I mean i dont mind, love to have my country in a Nintendo game, but if the badge wasnt leaked i would say this is a general ''Holland'' Tour :p
Hah we had a client in Amsterdam that used to send us boxes of tullip bulbs each year as a gift.

Some brief footage of Tour's Koopa Cape (mostly Trick varaints it seem) in these videos.

Thanks for sharing the Tour footage! Koopa Cape's layout is, as suspected, based on the 3DS version. I'll miss the specific hazards from the original, but I think reincorporating the half pipes makes the end section more interesting - and it helps the underwater section too. I can't say I'm a big fan of the aesthetic choices of this one, though. Wii and 3DS Koopa Cape go for a more muted, natural look, which I greatly prefer to the brighter colors of this remake. Alas.

Not a fan of the open underwater pipe or the wild aesthetic change (the latter will likely grow on me), but excited half pipes are in. Fingers crossed we get them for 8 Deluxe. Will be welcome on here, DK Pass, Maple Treeway, and Rainbow Road if we get all of those like it looks like.

Thanks for sharing the footage!

Back
Top Bottom