• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass |ST| Doubled Dash!! [WAVE 6 AVAILABLE NOW]

What is your favorite course in Wave 6?

• Rome Avanti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DK Mountain

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Daisy Circuit

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Piranha Plant Cove

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Madrid Drive

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Rosalina's Ice World

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • SNES Bowser Castle 3

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Wii Rainbow Road

Votes: 18 37.5%

• Total voters
Hopefully now I can stop seeing Ribbon Fucking Road and Electrodome every two seconds when playing online matches. It was cool the first few times, much less the 500th. There's other tracks you guys.

I can't remember the last time I played the Animal Crossing track or Excitebike Arena online :mad:

Hopefully now I can stop seeing Ribbon Fucking Road and Electrodome every two seconds when playing online matches. It was cool the first few times, much less the 500th. There's other tracks you guys.

I can't remember the last time I played the Animal Crossing track or Excitebike Arena online :mad:
I wonder how often the DLC tracks will be picked online.

I wonder how often the DLC tracks will be picked online.
I imagine people will be picking the new tracks every time just to play them, lol. Unless they add a seperate lobby just for the DLC down the track when there are enough tracks.

I wonder which of the DLC courses will be the most popular online. After launch, I'm gonna make a poll to see which of the Wave 1 courses is the Fami Favorite.
I haven't played MK Tour but if I have to guess I'd say Coconut Mall will be a fan favorite due to the nostalgia.
Paris and Tokyo are also going to be popular, they come from MK Tour so they will be new to a lot of players. Unfortunately from what I've seen, the tracks in MK Tour aren't really complex so maybe people will find them boring to play.

I haven't played MK Tour but if I have to guess I'd say Coconut Mall will be a fan favorite due to the nostalgia.
Paris and Tokyo are also going to be popular, they come from MK Tour so they will be new to a lot of players. Unfortunately from what I've seen, the tracks in MK Tour aren't really complex so maybe people will find them boring to play.
Ninja Hideaway would like a word with you. That's by far my most anticipated track of this Wave. So many branching paths.

I wonder which of the DLC courses will be the most popular online. After launch, I'm gonna make a poll to see which of the Wave 1 courses is the Fami Favorite.
Definitely Coconut Mall and Ninja Hideaway from Wave 1. The popularity of Tokyo and Paris depends entirely on how they handle the different routes, I feel.

Just played MK8DX for the first time on the SWOLED preparing for Friday, and it looks beautiful.

I really don't get the Ribbon Road love, and yet people keep voting for it. Mid course design and it's one of the very few music tracks I don't care for.

If we did get any additional characters, I wonder how close they'd get to making 8 Deluxe the Everyone is Here Mario Kart game.

pNy23OM.png

Right now Tour has the following veterans that didn't return in 8 Deluxe:
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES)
  • Birdo (GCN / Wii)
  • Diddy Kong (GCN / Wii)
  • Funky Kong (Wii)
Tour has also introduced a ton of series newcomers too (and a ton of alts, but these ones comfortably count as unique racers):
  • Pauline
  • Peachette
  • Captain Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King Bob-omb
  • Nabbit
  • Hammer Bro (cut from Wii) / Fire Bro / Ice Bro / Boomerang Bro
  • Monty Mole
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • Kamek (cut from N64 and Wii U)
That leaves five more veterans who aren't in 8 Deluxe or Tour
  • Paratroopa (GCN; cut from Wii)
  • Petey Piranha (GCN; cut from Wii)
  • R.O.B. (DS)
  • Wiggler (3DS)
  • Honey Queen (3DS)
and Tour is inevitably going to get more newcomers in the future too; Luma being the one currently known to be happening eventually. The one remaining cut character from previous games, now that Tour has introduced Kamek and Hammer Bro, is E. Gadd (planned for DS, replaced by Dry Bones).

Will all of these characters ever be playable in a single game? Probably not; but it'd be nice!

Apparently the Splatoon NA Open stream today had a segment of Coconut Mall played during it, and someone was kind enough to combine it with the previous track:

It sounds pretty good, especially that saxophone; sounds real as well. Can’t wait for how the others hear!

If we're talking "unpopular Mario Kart 8 Deluxe opinions," let it be known that I think Excitebike Arena is...just okay? I get the appeal of the changing course layout and all the jumps, but I like my courses with more turns, and Excitebike Arena has a whopping six of them the whole race. It has a killer song, though.

Then again, one of my favorite tracks is Neo Bowser City, and that's not a popular one among my friends, so hey, what do I know?
If we did get any additional characters, I wonder how close they'd get to making 8 Deluxe the Everyone is Here Mario Kart game.

pNy23OM.png

• Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES)
  • Birdo (GCN / Wii)
  • Diddy Kong (GCN / Wii)
  • Funky Kong (Wii)
Tour has also introduced a ton of series newcomers too (and a ton of alts, but these ones comfortably count as unique racers):
  • Pauline
  • Peachette
  • Captain Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King Bob-omb
  • Nabbit
  • Monty Mole
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • R.O.B. (DS)
  • Wiggler (3DS)
  • Honey Queen (3DS)
and Tour is inevitably going to get more newcomers in the future too; Luma being the one currently known to be happening eventually. The one remaining cut character from previous games, now that Tour has introduced Kamek and Hammer Bro, is E. Gadd (planned for DS, replaced by Dry Bones).

Will all of these characters ever be playable in a single game? Probably not; but it'd be nice!
If they have the will and ability, then screw it, why not. Do it. Sure, you may have "who else is left for the next Mario Kart?" Just make more Mario characters, Nintendo. Expand the universe once more. I believe in you.

Or, you know, let some spinoff characters into Mario Kart.

Or let me play as a Goomba.

Goomba for Mario Kart! Goombario for Mario Kart! Goombella for Mario Kart!

Apparently the Splatoon NA Open stream today had a segment of Coconut Mall played during it, and someone was kind enough to combine it with the previous track:

It sounds pretty good, especially that saxophone; sounds real as well. Can’t wait for how the others hear!

MY GOD, THE SAXOPHONE. GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEE.

Hell. Yeah.

Ooooooo that sax gives me life.

My only wish is that they also update the Race Count setting in VS Mode. I'd love to be able to set it to 96 after all the new courses have come out.
Would be nice if they added a new max race count every wave (+8 each time); the more options the better!

Speaking of options, I wonder if they'll revive any of the scrapped features found in the files of Deluxe. The unused Expert difficulty feels like the easiest one to add; doesn't even need to be applied to 200cc GPs, just have it as an option for VS Mode. Reverse Mode is a far taller ask though, and not one I expect. It was scrapped from Double Dash, then revisited again for 8 Deluxe, and finally ended up being realised in Tour. Sure, that means the layouts already exist for the tracks being ported up from Tour (all of the DLC), but would they really leave out the vanilla tracks like that, or would they go through the effort of making reverse versions for all of them? Both outcomes feel unlikely to me.

Last bit of curious cut content from 8 Deluxe (again, none of this existed in the original Wii U release) is the Bomb Car from Double Dash and Wii; present on GCN Mushroom Bridge, GCN Mushroom City and Wii Moonview Highway. Maybe they planned on adding it to one of the battle maps? In any case, it may actually end up used now, as the object also exists within Tour (alongside the Wiggler and Mushroom cars also present on the former two GCN tracks), likely to be used in the future.

MK8DX-BombCar.PNG

Last bit of curious cut content from 8 Deluxe (again, none of this existed in the original Wii U release) is the Bomb Car from Double Dash and Wii; present on GCN Mushroom Bridge, GCN Mushroom City and Wii Moonview Highway. Maybe they planned on adding it to one of the battle maps? In any case, it may actually end up used now, as the object also exists within Tour (alongside the Wiggler and Mushroom cars also present on the former two GCN tracks), likely to be used in the future.

MK8DX-BombCar.PNG
I would expect further change the model as it is currently directly from Wii but with a few small changes already applied to it. The unmodified wheels look really distractingly low poly.

I would expect further change the model as it is currently directly from Wii but with a few small changes already applied to it. The unmodified wheels look really distractingly low poly.
Oh, sure, I wouldn't expect it to be used as-is (it isn't even finished, no animations besides the rotating wind-up key); but if it does show up via Mushroom Bridge or Mushroom City i'd still consider it being "used". That'd just make this older model an earlier version.

Excitebike Arena is overrated on lower speeds. On 200cc its hilarious due to being sent flying into the air

It's still surreal as hell that we're just now getting DLC for this game after like 5 years. DLC had been my biggest hope for this game since the DX version was announced, and I'd resigned myself to not seeing anything new for it maybe 2-3 years ago.

My trash opinion is that Excitebike Arena is for people who can't admit to themselves that Baby Park is awesome

I’m more excited to see what other small UI and game updates we will see than the tracks themselves haha
I'd really like to see an option to group tracks differently than by cup. Series would be a good start, followed by difficulty/complexity. It feels like the easy -> hard progression in the cup progression went right out the window with the new cups that were added in the Wii U DLC.

Everyone is Here Mario Kart
It's not "Everyone is Here" until I can race as three Goombas in a lab coat

My only wish is that they also update the Race Count setting in VS Mode. I'd love to be able to set it to 96 after all the new courses have come out.
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I really wish they would drop the Race Count from VS mode, and just go back to the "just play until you want to stop" setup (similar to how Smash works) that was present in older games. I don't need the frivolity of a custom cup with a winner screen after X races.

Reverse Mode is a far taller ask though, and not one I expect. It was scrapped from Double Dash, then revisited again for 8 Deluxe, and finally ended up being realised in Tour.
Wow I'm having a Mandela Effect moment here. I could've sworn DD had a reverse mode. Or am I confusing Mirror and Reverse?

pNy23OM.png

• Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES)
  • Birdo (GCN / Wii)
  • Diddy Kong (GCN / Wii)
  • Funky Kong (Wii)
  • Pauline
  • Peachette
  • Captain Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King Bob-omb
  • Nabbit
  • Monty Mole
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • R.O.B. (DS)
  • Wiggler (3DS)
  • Honey Queen (3DS)

A while back I made my wishlist for a MK9; that was prior the Illumination movie cast announcement (I'd probably include Cranky in this today); But besides the WarioWare/Land and Arcade characters, I think some of my picks could still very well happen (Toadsworth needs to be un-banned);

Ennc_NWXIAEGRN1.jpg

Maybe the new Luigi's Mansion characters have a shot as well (Gooigi and Hellen Gravely) since now Next Level is a 1st Party studio, who knows...

pNy23OM.png

• Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES)
  • Birdo (GCN / Wii)
  • Diddy Kong (GCN / Wii)
  • Funky Kong (Wii)
  • Pauline
  • Peachette
  • Captain Toad
  • Dixie Kong
  • King Bob-omb
  • Nabbit
  • Monty Mole
  • Chargin' Chuck
  • R.O.B. (DS)
  • Wiggler (3DS)
  • Honey Queen (3DS)

Unfortunately I think an “Everyone is here!” moment isn’t going to happen in Mario Kart as long as bikes are a thing, since I can’t see characters like R.O.B., Wiggler, and Honey Queen coming back unless their lower bodies are always able to be hidden away in a kart like in DS and 7, ‘cause they wouldn’t really work otherwise.

I do hope that at least a good amount of characters make it back in the future, though; namely Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Birdo, Pauline, Nabbit, Kamek, and Petey Piranha at the very least. (I’d also like to see a normal Piranha Plant after we got one playable in both Smash and Tennis, but that probably wouldn’t happen for the same reasons R.O.B., Wiggler, and Honey Queen likely won’t be back.)

Also E. Gadd is way overdue, and I’m genuinely surprised that he still hasn’t made the cut in any Mario Kart game yet—not even Tour! I’d have thought that he would be exactly the kind of character that Nintendo would want to include for some age diversity, since Nintendo definitely makes an attempt to strike a decent balance when it comes to gender (even creating new characters like Pink Gold Peach or using odd choices like Honey Queen to give us some heavy female racers), and since we already have a bunch of baby characters you’d think Nintendo would jump at the chance to add an elderly character, especially since E. Gadd does exist in the main series Mario canon.

This isn't directly related to the Booster Course Pass but I've thought of a few things that I want Nintendo to do in the upcoming updates for MK8DX:
1. Make Mirror Mode a toggle for every engine class and not only for 150cc. This was achieved in Mario Kart Live Home Circuit and they should apply this change to MK8DX and make it so people's already existing trophies still exist after the change when you toggle mirror mode for 150cc. This should make Mirror Mode more like an actual mode rather than being an engine class which never really made sense to me.
2. Add an option for using the original music for retro tracks (and maybe go a step further and change specific tracks e.g. I want original GBA Mario Circuit music but I want to keep the remix for N64 Royal Raceway). Self-explanatory.
3. This one is way more out there but I want the results music on retro tracks to be a remix of the original results theme from that track's respective game e.g. Winning on GBA Mario Circuit will play a remix of the winning music from Mario Kart: Super Circuit. This could also tie in to the 2nd thing in this list where users could select if they want to here the original version or the remix.

Blue shell cup had better have the most soul-rending, mind boggling difficult courses in the name of the series that make you beg for the sweet relief of a blue shell

After Miis got added to Tour, I really hope they go ahead and add the missing veterans. Miis were in my opinion the hardest MK veteran to add to Tour due to the implementation of them into the game's meta and the gacha as well.

Plus Tour doesn't have bikes which makes things easier for adding awkward body types like ROB.

Would be nice if they added a new max race count every wave (+8 each time); the more options the better!

Speaking of options, I wonder if they'll revive any of the scrapped features found in the files of Deluxe. The unused Expert difficulty feels like the easiest one to add; doesn't even need to be applied to 200cc GPs, just have it as an option for VS Mode. Reverse Mode is a far taller ask though, and not one I expect. It was scrapped from Double Dash, then revisited again for 8 Deluxe, and finally ended up being realised in Tour. Sure, that means the layouts already exist for the tracks being ported up from Tour (all of the DLC), but would they really leave out the vanilla tracks like that, or would they go through the effort of making reverse versions for all of them? Both outcomes feel unlikely to me.

MK8DX-BombCar.PNG
I agree that Reverse Mode is a bit of an ask (though, hey, if Nintendo wanted to charge for it, they probably could), but I'd like to try that expert mode. I've played 150 and 200cc Cups plenty of times by now, the new challenge would be appreciated!

Mushroom City is a course I'm really curious to see in MK8D. So hello, Bomb Car! I'll be seeing you soon, hopefully.
A while back I made my wishlist for a MK9; that was prior the Illumination movie cast announcement (I'd probably include Cranky in this today); But besides the WarioWare/Land and Arcade characters, I think some of my picks could still very well happen (Toadsworth needs to be un-banned);

Ennc_NWXIAEGRN1.jpg

Maybe the new Luigi's Mansion characters have a shot as well (Gooigi and Hellen Gravely) since now Next Level is a 1st Party studio, who knows...
That's a pretty good wishlist. If we even got a chunk of that, I would be happy.

Free Toadsworth! Would it be correct to say that Toadette effectively replaced him? Ironic - the Mario Kart OC took out the main series character.

Unfortunately I think an “Everyone is here!” moment isn’t going to happen in Mario Kart as long as bikes are a thing, since I can’t see characters like R.O.B., Wiggler, and Honey Queen coming back unless their lower bodies are always able to be hidden away in a kart like in DS and 7, ‘cause they wouldn’t really work otherwise.

I do hope that at least a good amount of characters make it back in the future, though; namely Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Birdo, Pauline, Nabbit, Kamek, and Petey Piranha at the very least. (I’d also like to see a normal Piranha Plant after we got one playable in both Smash and Tennis, but that probably wouldn’t happen for the same reasons R.O.B., Wiggler, and Honey Queen likely won’t be back.)

Also E. Gadd is way overdue, and I’m genuinely surprised that he still hasn’t made the cut in any Mario Kart game yet—not even Tour! I’d have thought that he would be exactly the kind of character that Nintendo would want to include for some age diversity, since Nintendo definitely makes an attempt to strike a decent balance when it comes to gender (even creating new characters like Pink Gold Peach or using odd choices like Honey Queen to give us some heavy female racers), and since we already have a bunch of baby characters you’d think Nintendo would jump at the chance to add an elderly character, especially since E. Gadd does exist in the main series Mario canon.
Tour is going to have Honey Queen eventually; and while that game has no bikes, it does have karts that look like this:

MKT_Sky_Tour_Week_2_Drivers.png

If they can get Honey Queen looking fine on that thing, they’d be set.

R.O.B. is the biggest problem I can imagine, but if worst comes to worst I could see them just embedding his torso into the seat of the bike.

Last edited:
Tour is going to have Honey Queen eventually; and while that games has no bikes, it does have karts that look like this:

MKT_Sky_Tour_Week_2_Drivers.png

If they can get Honey Queen looking fine on that thing, they’d be set.

R.O.B. is the biggest problem I can imagine, but if worst comes to worst I could see them just embedding his torso into the seat of the bike.
Oh, I didn’t realize Honey Queen was datamined from Tour, huh. Well of those three she would be the easiest to make work, and I guess it wouldn’t be that much different from King Bob-omb and they made him work, though bike animations might be a bit more complicated for either of them. R.O.B. and Wiggler, though…yeah, I dunno how they’d really work, lol. Wiggler had a significant amount of his body hidden in the kart in 7.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn’t realize Honey Queen was datamined from Tour, huh. Well of those three she would be the easiest to make work, and I guess it wouldn’t be that much different from King Bomb-omb and they made him work, though bike animations might be a bit more complicated for either of them. R.O.B. and Wiggler, though…yeah, I dunno how they’d really work, lol. Wiggler had a significant amount of his body hidden in the kart in 7.
She isn't necessarily datamined, but there is a badge of her emblem (from 7). There was a badge of Nabbit's emblem in the game before he was added too. There's also a badge of Luma's emblem among all the racer emblem badges, which even predated the use of it in Dr. Mario World; that's how we know Luma will be added eventually.

Went to go take a screenshot of King Bob-omb in the broomstick kart for reference too; really wish 8 Deluxe had a photo mode like Tour's.

R39eZvi.png

She isn't necessarily datamined, but there is a badge of her emblem (from 7). There was a badge of Nabbit's emblem in the game before he was added too. There's also a badge of Luma's emblem among all the racer emblem badges, which even predated the use of it in Dr. Mario World; that's how we know Luma will be added eventually.

Went to go take a screenshot of King Bob-omb in the broomstick kart for reference too; really wish 8 Deluxe had a photo mode like Tour's.

R39eZvi.png
Ah okay, thanks! Well clearly, as your screenshot shows, they can stick big, round characters with short, stubby legs in a kart like that just fine, lol, though I imagine for Honey Queen they may have to, like, curve her stinger backwards or something. Curious to see how they’ll pull it off!

And Luma’s emblem isn’t different from what it was in Tennis Open/Aces and Sports Superstars, is it? Since those also predate Dr. Mario World, lol. Nice to know that Luma should be coming eventually, though—that much closer to having all the Mario series Smash fighters in Mario Kart! =p

And Luma’s emblem isn’t different from what it was in the Tennis Open/Aces and Sports Superstars, is it? Since those also predate Dr. Mario World, lol. Nice to know that Luma should be coming eventually, though—that much closer to having all the Mario series Smash fighters in Mario Kart! =p
The base icon has existed since Tennis Aces, yeah; what I meant is that we hadn't seen it in the traditional circular emblem format until Tour and Dr. Mario World. Here it is ripped from Tennis Open, Tennis Aces, Dr. Mario World and Mario Kart Tour, in that order:

MTO_Luma_Emblem.png
MTA_Emblems_Luma.png
DrMarioWorld_Flag_Luma.png
MKT_198CB.png

R39eZvi.png
Tour has a photo mode? They really put all the good ideas into the mobile game, didn’t they? Hopefully at least some of them come over to the next Mario Kart on Switch 2.

Tour has a photo mode? They really put all the good ideas into the mobile game, didn’t they? Hopefully at least some of them come over to the next Mario Kart on Switch 2.
It does! It's a seperate mode though, can't just pause in the middle of a race to take a picture, but it works well enough for a mobile game's photo mode.

IMG_8252.png

I’d love to see alternate tricky courses make their way over like tours rather than reverse.

Does anyone here know if there are any kind of third-party alternatives to the Toy-Con Car or Toy-Con Motorbike? Like, essentially the same thing but made with a sturdier material like plastic or something? I’ve got the sudden urge to use them with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since it’s compatible, but I worry about using the cardboard originals with a puppy around now, lol. I didn’t find anything from a quick web search but I figured I may as well ask here just in case. I always expected some third-party company to make sturdier alternatives to Toy-Con but maybe that just never actually happened…?

Ennc_NWXIAEGRN1.jpg

what in sam hell is row four column five

jesus christmas

Ennc_NWXIAEGRN1.jpg

Unfortanutley the wider mario universe will never acknowledge wario’s weirdo friends.

it's kinda weird how cappy and the broodals never really made any real appearances outside of odyssey

everyone was so poisoned by imagery of isle delfino, pianatas, luma and rosalina for a decade that we all just assumed they were next and they just vanished into the ether

it's kinda weird how cappy and the broodals never really made any real appearances outside of odyssey

everyone was so poisoned by imagery of isle delfino, pianatas, luma and rosalina for a decade that we all just assumed they were next and they just vanished into the ether
The cool thing about the GameCube era (and the Wii era, to a lesser extent) is that spinoff material really leaned into Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion, the big main series games at the time. But after early Wii, NSMB became the brand, and that's where so many of the references come from.

There hasn't been all that much Odyssey or 3D World in spinoff material. You get Pauline, maybe some costumes, and that's about it. We got the great New Donk City course in Golf but that feels like the exception to the rule. Which sucks because Cappy should be in these games, too.

Heck, I'll even take them bringing back the Green Sprixie Princess as a character. She got her one chance in Ultra Smash, and she was, like, the only character not to come back from Aces for...some reason.

Last edited:
Heck, I'll even take them bringing back the Green Sprixie Princess as a character. She got her one chance in Ultra Smash, and she was, like, the only character not to come back from Aces for...some reason.
Somebody forgot to tell Camelot that 3D World was getting a Switch port...

At least 3D World gets an entire theme park based around its style. There’s no Isle Delfino theme park, take that Sunshine!

Oh god now I want an Isle Delfino theme park…

I played through every course in the game yesterday to refresh my muscle memory (it's been a hot minute since I played the game). I had forgotten a lot of these tracks, especially the ones from the base Wii U game. But honestly I don't think there's really a stinker in the game at all. If I have one complaint, it's with how they made N64 Rainbow Road a three part race instead of just having it be three laps. I get that it's a long track but it feels like they overcorrected for that; it's such a good rendition of the course, especially the music. Maybe have two full laps as a compromise.

Thanking my lucky stars every day that they somehow made the right call at Nintendo HQ and went with Pauline and New Donk City as the go to Odyssey references/rep in other games going forward instead of... the Broodals. 🤢

Also, we are only a few days away now! HYPE!!

I did give Chocobo GP a go last week, and it's a really charming game in a lot of ways(the music, the character designs, the locations have a lot of fun background details), and it looks really nice in handheld mode, but it also feels kinda lacking in track design which is really unfortunate, not to mention the MTX stuff which is just...ehhh. Like, as a kid I would have been good renting and playing through the story mode of this game and then never renting it again.

Maybe over time it'll get better/or I'll get better idk.

But ya'll, 200cc Coconut Mall is about to drop in Mario Kart 8... this weekend! I can not wait!

Back
Top Bottom